If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Oh, come on. Surely, not everyone has the privilege of smuggling their fortune out of Nigeria without getting an internet rando to provide a small entry fee, right?
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    dude Aisha needs your help
  • A bird (birds?) has been pecking at a window sill in my room on a near-daily basis for a few weeks now. It's not very annoying but I wonder why it's so interested in it.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Perhaps he has chosen you to be the next president?
  • Then it's not doing a good job at communicating omens of fate.
    Also It could be this:
    4sdxr0w02aaa1.jpg
    In other stuff, I've been getting a million recommended videos/articles about how the RTX 40 series are first cheap and are being throw away, a very pleasant thing to hear until I go to a store website to check prices. I guess it's cheaper than one would've expected, but still.
  • edited 2023-05-05 09:17:25
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    3903EBE2-1F60-40B8-AD4F-51585F95DE86.jpg

2E5B7B0B-01D6-4816-A8D5-08D782FDD639.png

8BB25BAC-ADA0-471C-9B1E-B165514C16CE.jpg
    Get Gnomed is an onion website on the dark web (accessible via the Tor browser) in which a buyer can purchase a "gnoming" service that entails garden gnomes being anonymously placed at a selected person's address

TIL.
  • Reminds me of the traveling gnome practice.
    TIL.

The most interesting thing about this is doing it via Tor rather than like, Craigslist or something (is Craiglist still a thing?).
    Yes it is.
  • I figure anonimity comes in handy for requests about placing gnomes in restricted sites for key infrastructure and military bases.
  • edited 2023-05-14 21:01:13
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I took one of these online autism tests. Out of 50 points, I got 31. 25-32 was Asperger's. I gotta say I was somewhat disappointed that I missed autism by, like, two wrong answers, but on the other hand, hey, I was afraid it'd just call me a fucking normie but instead I can feel validated now.
    I tried this pop-quiz and got 23/40.

Like no way I'm more autist than anyone here.

YouTube recommended me a Lizzie McGuire podcast hosted by a guy who actually was on Lizzie McGuire.

It seems YouTube knows me very well because I watched a whole bunch of it.
  • Your Total Score: 23 out of 40
    Granted, "some of the time" was a terrible answer for a lot of these questions. Also IJBM: my Touhou autism is being replaced by MtG autism.
    In other stuff, you know true names, kotodama, that thing where knowing the "real name" of something gives you power over it, it occurs to me that it's definitely true now in this day and age where you can know everything there is to know about something as long as you know how to Google it.
  • edited 2023-05-17 04:05:40
    One evening, she, I, and Serge went to a pub, and she and I started a game of darts. We made a bet that if I lost I had to put the word penguin into my next paper.
    [...]
    Then, one evening, after working at CERN, I stopped on my way back to my apartment to visit some friends living in Meyrin where I smoked some illegal substance. Later, when I got back to my apartment and continued working on our paper, I had a sudden flash that the famous diagrams look like penguins.
    And thus penguin diagrams came to be.
  • Today's my Birthday.
    Mid-life crisis ahoy
    Well, happy birthday anyway, I guess!
    Today's my Birthday.
    Mid-life crisis ahoy

dangit lrdgck why did you have to post that one pic about being a child of the 90s

...i mean happy birthday stormtroper
  • Thanks guys.
    TIL about the time an aircraft crashed in the middle of Maracaibo, killing >150 people, right after embarking from the airport that TIL used to exist.
    psyduck_(2).gif
  • edited 2023-05-25 10:05:27
    Good thing you put a link in there, I almost assumed "the time" was, like, yesterday. Well, then, I guess it's good you're safe.

Ey, fellas, it's been a ride. I was on a conference. The stuff concerning the topic I'll put in sustainable energy thread, since sustainable energy was what it was about. Or, supposed to be about, because it's like a whole another story for another post and I don't want to dilute this one.

So. The venue was, like, whoa. I mean, the last time I went to this conference it was a pleasant cozy affair, but this year buddies got some major business funding and they picked like the fanciest resort they could. I felt like all the class advancement the last two generations of my family went through melted away as soon as I entered the premises. I mean, it's open to plebeians like me as long as they can cough up the dough, but I still felt out of place. The more so that I didn't pay the conference fee out of my own pocket like a proper nouveau riche, but received my share of academic funding.

The official conference plan was confusing and I apparently spent the entire time of the poster session on a plenary session. Yeah, I went there with a poster. But nobody cared, so it's fine.

Also, I got some sort of eye infection. On the second day it spread to my other eye, made me look like a frickin' Dunmer. I decided to wear my sunglasses inside so I didn't scare people, but I put on a black T-shirt that day, so that in turn made me look like a character in a bad vampire movie (the kind where they all have red eyes and dress in black and wear sunglasses inside).

The food was good though. I mean, something went wrong and frequency of my toilet visits rose by some 600%, but that was the price I was willing to pay. (I mean, perhaps it was mixing too many ingredients, or some sort of bacterial flora issue. When I overeat, I know I do it, and that wasn't the case.)

Number of times Great Pole Pope the Pole was quoted: only one (I'm surprised myself)

Number of times old professors publicly complained about kids these days: 2

Number of physically present politicians the organizers sucked up to: 2-3 (depending how you count the state-owned company completely overrun by Party politicos)

Number of Coal Fangirls encountered: 1 (she was there the previous time too, but it looks like she got worse)
  • Sometimes I wonder if academics remember conferences better than I used to remember class lectures, if they're like me they forget by evening (and that's without beach resorts or tourist attractions).
    Well, for one conferences are rarer than class lectures, so they tend to remain more in memory. Although there was that one girl who was seriously confused about one past conference we've been together on (versus some others that I wasn't there), so, I guess they too can be frequent enough for misunderstandings.

But as for the content of these conferences... yeah. On a good day, a plenary session is like you and the boys all taking turns to show off something cool you did recently and everybody chimes in. On a bad one, class lectures is pretty much the way to describe it. Gotta say the sight of my own dean dozing off made me feel much less guilty over all those times I did that in the past.
    I decided to wear my sunglasses inside so I didn't scare people, but I put on a black T-shirt that day, so that in turn made me look like a character in a bad vampire movie (

Sounds more like a guy working on the set of a movie.

Been in a lot of meetings the last few days and I've developed terrible eating habits where I literally eat nothing but sugar because I'm avoiding the overly spicy (ie spicy at all) food they get for catering so I can avoid gacek-level toilet problems.

I've been so good at like, not doing this lately.
    There's something wonderful about looking back at old posts you made and feeling happy and nostalgic.

I think it's why I love this site. It's easy to be honest about everything without being afraid you'll send somebody into a rage*.

*GMH need not apply but I'm used to that.
  • Happy (US) Memorial Day! Memory is important, it lets us remember maintain our knowledge and retain what we learn, it's what links us to our past and makes us the individuals we are today. Don't forget about Memorial Day!
    There's also some stuff about the US armed forces, I'unno, but it's an off-day for the people I work for (and by extention, me too) so in a sense I'm participating anyways.
    Of course there are also old posts you look at and feel atomic cringe over.

Yeah, well, you got me to read some of my ten years-old posts and I feel kinda relieved I wasn't as cringeworthy all the time as I thought I was. (I was, just not as much all the time. Which is a relief.)
    Random internet mystery I just found:

In a certain household kitchen, a sink has a garbage disposer. (Basically a motorized blade that cuts up waste that goes down a particular drain.) This disposer is connected to, but not directly controlled by (see explanation below), a nearby switch on the wall. That switch is actually part of a panel that includes it and the electrical socket next to it. A microwave is plugged into that electrical socket.

Turning on the switch supplies power to the microwave, but it does not turn the disposer on.

If power is on for the microwave, telling the microwave to start cooking something causes the disposer to start running.

If we assume the microwave is a standard microwave (gets power from the wall socket and its controls only control the cooking functions inside the microwave), is there any plausible explanation for this based on how things may be wired behind the wall?
    I've seen some funky shizzle, but I won't speculate before @Stormtroper takes a look at it.