If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    I wanted to maintain a presence on twitter to meet new people but that depends on your tweets being seen and then people actually responding to them.

I kind of had this fantasy of meeting a guy (a guy guy, not like you guys) on twitter but then DM etiquette always escaped me.

I kind of prefer it here where I know people will see stuff and care it exists, plus I'm increasing the overall size of the internet universe by not giving my thoughts to the borg for likes and popularity.
  • edited 2023-07-26 19:00:45
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    https://karab.in/

oh hey the third-or-so-largest /kbin instance is Polish

makes sense that the /kbin project site is in English and Polish
  • edited 2023-07-26 22:03:09
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    also found this article about the "threadiverse" (i.e. Lemmy and /kbin, the fediverse's Reddit alternatives)

https://www.pcmag.com/news/reddit-alternatives-lemmy-kbin

I feel like I know a bit more than this author does about certain things (e.g. about finding stuff) though less about others (e.g. admin, blocking, and account security tools).

Still though, the article is worth a read if you're largely unfamiliar with the threadiverse.

Some comments:
    Another major drawback is that not every post is visible to every person on Lemmy or Kbin. If your particular instance doesn't connect with my instance or if my instance is blocked by yours, we may never see each other's posts.
    Blocking isn't the main reason stuff doesn't appear. The main reason stuff doesn't appear is that stuff isn't simply broadcasted all throughout the entire fediverse all at once. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but different instances have to "discover" users and posts on each other in order for them to know what's on each other.

So, for example, if I'm on a Lemmy instance and no one on my instance has ever subscribed to the "Linux Mint" community on another Lemmy instance, then my instance will know nothing from that community. If I try to go to it on my instance, I'll see a community with nothing, even if there actually are posts on its own home instance.

But what I can do is subscribe to it (if I'm interested in it), and then my instance will know of stuff from that point on. For older posts, I can do the following:
    * read stuff on its home instance
    * copy fediverse links (to communities, posts, and comments) to my home instance's search box and have it find them
    Now my instance will know about them. And now I can interact with them (because I can only interact with things, like reply/upvote/etc., when I'm looking at them through my instance).
    But Kbin's list of available Magazines only shows the communities in your local instance.
    Not true; it can show Lemmy communities as well (probably depending on your display settings).
    I could not, for instance, seek out posts I knew were on other platforms.
    This might have to do with how you can view (i.e. as webpages), and thus how you can get links for, seeing stuff through different instances.

Protip for using the threadiverse: viewing stuff on its own instance is different from viewing stuff on other instances.

For example, if someone on lemmy.world posts something to lemmy.world/c/linuxmemes, then that content is hosted on lemmy.world. I, having an account on mander.xyz, can view it "through" my instance, allowing me to comment on it. But to do so, I need the link to its native location -- I need a link to the post on lemmy.world so I can stick it into the search box at my instance, and then I can find it and go to it and reply to it. Doing so is easy but you just need to know to do it. The link is on the little rainbow fediverse icon, just copy the link. (For /kbin posts it's in the drop-down menu, and is called "copy url to fediverse".)

Since my instance can view it, so can other instances. For example, someone with an account at programming.dev could also view it. And heck, so can I! Maybe I might run into someone from programming.dev showing me this post via their instance. Remember, the stuff is "really" on lemmy.world, but I'm now looking at a programming.dev webpage showing it to me. If I take this link and try to find it in my search bar I will have trouble. But If I right-click the fediverse icon and copy the link, that will work.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    American Cold War-era civil defense video: duck and cover, duck and cover!

Polish Cold War-era civil defense video: 'ey Ma, peel these taters thicker, we're not gonna let 'em go to waste!

...in other words, on Youtube there's a bunch of old educational videos. The one on protection against nuclear fallout was remarkably practical. Most of the video addressed how to re-use and safely eat stuff left exposed to radioactive dust. Apparently peeling is enough in most cases and washing works for the rest. Felt like it was a bit of a feel-good story aimed at not scaring people, but it gave me a very different mental picture of a postapo setting than the usual.
    Vanilla mobile (on Edge at least) displays images really well. It could be confused for social media if you don't look too closely.
  • edited 2023-07-28 22:01:42
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Might be offline for a few days. Just letting you know in case you guys are concerned.
    We'll be here when you get back~
  • edited 2023-07-31 04:10:18
    In another case of me finding irl a previously-fiction-exclusive concept, there's this Chinese restaurant that packs some items in what I now know is called an oyster pail. From what I read these are mainly a US thing nowadays, not so much in actual China.
    Relatedly, for one reason or another Chinese food restaurants have increasingly taken to serve fried chicken.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    My personal take on Slovakian Gothic:
    • you arrive in the afternoon of a weekday, yet the city is strangely deserted
    • you've been driving through an open field until suddenly you're right on the town square
    • the first thing you see is this decaying commie-era building standing right there in the middle
    • your hotel is this splendid Art Noveau building, the staff hands you a token for free drink in the hotel restaurant
    • you take a walk around the town, everything's closed shut and there's nobody outside save for a handful of odd young'uns, even though it's not even getting dark yet
    • half of the buildings around turn out to be empty ruins behind the nice facades
    • staff of the last semi-open cafe looks at you suspiciously as they close down for the evening
    • as you look down the street, there doesn't seem to be anything really out there, as if it was a 3D video game with a rendering distance set too short
    • cars occasionally pass by as if they were set to follow a routine track for a semblance of life
    • there's one single block with some lights on, as if all the locals had to get there before nightfall
    • somebody's looking at you from behind a curtain, but when you're noticed looking back, the curtain falls back down
    • you begin to wonder if nice staff and free drink were meant to get you indoors before nighttime, too
    half of the buildings around turn out to be empty ruins behind the nice facades
    Oh so this is real then?

Overall this sounds like a Lovecraft story.
  • Something happened to one of the power lines nearby, so me and several other neighbors are out of a 220 V circuit, that means no air conditioning or water system.
    I'm sweating buckets.
    but isn't it colder in basements anyway If you guys over there are sweating buckets, I shudder to think how much I would have. We've had a comparatively rainy summer so far in here, but let's just say, I left minding it to other people.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine who's been to Colombia (Cartagena IIRC) reminisced about showering four times a day and I don't remember that story mentioning the lack of air conditioning.

Come to think of it, I feel like I live in the coldest-on-average place of all of us here.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Meanwhile: an acquaintance of mine who lives in Texas captured an image of his TV showing a news broadcast with a heat advisory.

It is indicated to last "NOW THROUGH ????????".
  • Ahhh, feels nice. It took a while but we have all power lines working (seemingly) fine now. Apparently one of the neighbors has influential contacts. I wonder how long the (repaired) transformer will last.
  • edited 2023-09-02 12:21:51
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    In the interest of declarations I never end up fulfilling, I'm going to try and inundate you guys with lots of LEGO posts this weekend.

Aside from that, I started reading Quillette again and I'm surprised at how good it is. I mean, I read the NYT regularly so anything with a GC bend will do the trick for me, but it's interesting and measured. No idea why Claire Lehmann gets such a bad rap (aside from when she supported Australian COVID lockdowns I guess) or why she and others of the former IDW don't see eye to eye. Might subscribe.

I mean, there really is a dearth of conservative media not consumed by hatred, unfounded obsessions with Judeo-Christianity or moldbuggism, and none of their pieces are ever interesting, so I guess centrists will have to do.
    I mean, there really is a dearth of conservative media not consumed by hatred, unfounded obsessions with Judeo-Christianity or moldbuggism
    I might just have a measure of unexpectedly genuine sympathy towards this complaint.
  • edited 2023-09-03 19:39:51
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    My leave is ending and I'm having like the strongest case of post-summer melancholia since... Like, 2015? Earlier, perhaps. Srsly, I thought I'm done with that. кончится лето on repeat in my head.
    I've developed this weird new feeling lately.

The need to be like one of those buzzword-spouting businessdroids.

I will put effort into this, yet I can't bring myself to understand why my lax sense of not-even-caring no longer applies.
  • Apparently I messed up my arm/shoulder/shoulder-blade badly. I'm supposed to rest to let it heal but I've had a ton of work lately.
    Woah. Better watch out, then. (Else you wouldn't be able to participate in underground street fighting rings anymore.) Given what I know about your line of work, there's some hope you can avoid overextension.
    TIL about Helge Meyer.

I am ashamed to have never before heard of that guy. I mean, his nickname was God's Rambo, and the inaccurate part of that nickname is that, so far, there has been no Rambo/Mad Max crossover. I guess that's because there was not enough violence for edgy kids to spread the tale.
  • Hadn't heard of him either. Imagine what he, Marvin Heemeeyr (killdozer guy) and Mike Hughes (the DIY manned rockets guy) could have done together.
    Apparently I messed up my arm/shoulder/shoulder-blade badly.
    It still hurts.
    My arm is a bit numb too but that's because I got a vaccine yesterday.
    Marvin Heemeeyr (killdozer guy)
    To be honest he was, indeed, my first comparison. I was like, "huh, so, wholesome Heemeyer?"
    It still hurts.
    Is it at least less messed up than a week ago?
  • edited 2023-10-12 15:03:32
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    My arm is a bit numb too but that's because I got a vaccine yesterday.

Is there somebody out there more addicted to coof vaccìnes than I am?
    Well this would be the first time I've heard "coof".

Anyhow I got this one pretty late anyway.
  • Is it at least less messed up than a week ago?
    I've been feeling better about it today but before that I was feeling pretty much the same.
    Someone commented on my Livejournal Aimer album review from 2012.