If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Silly geographical comments (or whatever you'd call this)

Comments

• edited 2022-01-06 00:44:25
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk_parakeet
    As an introduced species

United States

Thousands of monk parakeets were imported to the United States between the 1960s and the 1980s as pets.[21] Many escaped or were intentionally released, and populations were allowed to proliferate. By the early 1970s, M. monachus was established in seven states, and by 1995, it had spread to eight more. In Florida alone, estimates range from 150,000 to 500,000.[22]

As one of the few temperate-zone parrots, the monk parakeet is more able than most to survive cold climates (partly because they build communal nests about heat-producing electrical equipment atop utility poles), and colonies exist as far north as New York City, Chicago, Dallas, Austin, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Louisville, coastal Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and southwestern Washington.

[...]

They have also found a home in Brooklyn, New York, after an accidental release decades ago of what appear to have been black-market birds[26] within Green-Wood Cemetery. The grounds crew initially tried to destroy the unsightly nests at the entrance gate, but no longer do so because the presence of the parrots has reduced the number of pigeons nesting within it. The management's decision was based on a comparative chemical analysis of pigeon feces (which destroy brownstone structures) and monk parakeet feces (which have no ill effect). The monk parakeets are in effect preserving this historic structure.[27]

cemetery managers [handshake] monk parakeets
  • edited 2022-01-10 17:44:59
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    ^ because bathtub water is too mainstream, I guess

----

Polish man's blood alcohol content off the scale

or, an alternative translation:

27-year-old driver's blood alcohol content too high to measure

The story is less impressive than it sounds, it was actually the scale of a hand-held breathalyzer rather than anything heavy-duty. For the record, he got like four per mille. Which is good, but not record-breaking good. Still, it made for a nice headline.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Meanwhile in Poland:

Alleged vaccine policy expert found self-styled 'virginologist', collect teenager photos

Also, the man's website where he kept the photos and virginology manifestos, looks like out of the depths of the Nineties. I think I saw Comic Sans somewhere in there, even.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    when you commit crime while wearing a clown costume by accident
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I like the music on this one.

Also, this kinda reminds me of that thought I once had, if I'm ever somewhere around the extended Caribbean area, I'm definitely gonna try to meet up with you guys.
  • edited 2022-01-19 08:28:19
    "Tifa's Limit Broken on Italian Senate Meeting"

If it wasn't for, quote, "an unidentified male character", I'd also try something about a Buster Sword.
    Another silly story: the Party declared they'd like to make it law that 80% of all music on radio should be Polish.

What makes it noteworthy is the rock star-turned-independent politician who had so far supported the Party, has recently made a slight turn towards the opposition. Surely, a coincidence.
    lrdgck wrote: »
    Another silly story: the Party declared they'd like to make it law that 80% of all music on radio should be Polish.

What makes it noteworthy is the rock star-turned-independent politician who had so far supported the Party, has recently made a slight turn towards the opposition. Surely, a coincidence.
    Which one happened first?
    As you might have guessed, the turn-towards-opposition part was first, by a few days. So, yeah, I could have added a bit more commentary, but I'm keeping these stories simple to stay on the silly side of things.
  • edited 2022-01-26 11:50:40
    image0.jpg
    ^ So, it's not just Polish color palette, looks like. Although the "Drab Concrete" and "Ruined Walked-Over Technically A Patch Of Grass" seem to be missing.
    fixed your link for you

(you need to include https:// at the beginning of the link if you link stuff like that)
    I hope the beggars know.
  • edited 2022-03-03 23:51:59
    TIL:
    Finnish-American culture

Hancock has been called "the focal point of Finns in the United States[90] and many Finns settled in Hancock because the forests, the lakes, and the clear blue skies reminded them of home.[17] In Hancock, approximately 40 percent of the population claim Finnish ancestry in the most recent federal census.[91] Since 1983, the City of Hancock has had an active Finnish Theme Committee that is entrusted with preserving the local Finnish heritage of the region.[25] In recognition of the large number of Finns in the area, some street signs in Hancock are written in both English and Finnish.[92]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hancock,_Michigan#Finnish-American_culture

Not really silly, as this is actually pretty neat.
  • edited 2022-03-05 03:21:54
    regular version:

"M.T.A." is a well-known folk song of Boston, satirizing the old practice of charging a separate exit fare on the subway. (This is no longer done today.)

The version heard above is by the Kingston Trio, whose performance popularized the song nationwide.

Yes, a Boston folk song immortalizes a man being trapped forever on the subway.

deluxe version:

One of the pleasures of attending a Boston Pops concert is experiencing original short films set to performances of classic pieces by the orchestra. Often these films feature members of the Boston Pops, Conductor Keith Lockhart, and the city of Boston.

One such song is [Charlie on the] M.T.A., a 1948 Boston mayoral campaign song (about—what else!--fare increases on the T!), in which Charlie (now of Charlie Card fame) gets on the subway, but cannot pay the increased transfer fare, so as the words go, “He may ride forever ‘neath the streets of Boston/He’s the man who never returned.” The song became a surprise nation-wide hit for the Kingston Trio a decade later. In this 2007 concert film, Keith, like Charlie, gets on the T and travels all over the city, bumping into some surprise celebrity friends along the way.

Film produced by Susan Dangel and Dick Bartlett, recording by the Boston Pops Orchestra.
    A more modern folk song about Boston's transit system.

FYI, "the T" refers to Boston's subway; the full name is the "MBTA", which is actually the name of the government organization that manages the transit system, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. It used to be called the Metropolitan Transit Authority.

Also FYI, if you say "MTA", these days that more typically refers to New York City's Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the agency that manages NYC's subways (which are usually just called subways, no special name) and other systems.
  • a Boston folk song immortalizes a man being trapped forever on the subway.
    Reminds me of The Terminal, which I just learned is based on a true story.
    I just saw this headline somewhere between "meanwhile in Russia" and "Cyberpunk [current year]" memes: apparently Dogecoin is now stronger than Russian ruble. Not in itself impossible, given how much Bitcoin is rated, but it makes for some good not-The-Onion material.
    > Russia ruled by a right-wing autocrat
    > gets into a war with a western neighbor
    > gets trounced
    > Russian economy collapses
    > mass protests
    > disgruntled workers begin striking
    > me rn

thinking-face_1f914.png

• edited 2022-03-08 01:13:41
    The quoted tweet (twitt?) says:
    Abibas from the Nineties back in fashion?
  • TIL the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company from Forrest Gump was made real.