If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2018-05-29 22:52:41
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well, Pepe is reasonably well-known in the US, aside from the political implications, though the political implications have sadly sorta overtaken the meme lately, though I think it's died down somewhat as its use as a "fuck decency, reeeeee" symbol has gradually run its course. I think.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    tumblr_p96aabmgQR1rd1f0zo3_1280.png

I like this picture
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    This blogpost is amusing.

http://www.akzeigers.com/blog/?p=41

I wonder if I should make an entire thread for "random Alaska shit".
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Sounds fun~
  • edited 2018-06-03 18:13:11
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Suicide_Peak
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Suicide_Peak
    and apparently there's also a Homicide Peak

okay who the fuck named these mountains

edit: so apparently there were four mountains called the "Suicide Peaks" by miners who used to work in the area. two of them still bear this name. meanwhile some hikers had a lulzy idea one day and renamed one of them "Homicide Peak". dunno what happened to the fourth one, but it might be (the much less edgily-named) Ptarmigan Peak.
  • edited 2018-06-04 18:11:01
    Internet service is back on. Gee, it's become increasingly common. It seems to go away most often on saturdays, but at any rate I guess I should stock up on offline material to do stuff with.

Also, I've never seen the word "biz" used in a context that doesn't make me suspect the person saying it is a charlatan.
    Also, I've never seen the word "biz" used in a context that doesn't make me suspect the person saying it is a charlatan.

.biz

• This feels like an application of wolfpupy humor on other mammal types. Or like a subversion of it.

• edited 2018-06-05 03:29:10
    Oh, this is pretty funny.
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8841529
    jamesk_au on Jan 6, 2015 [-]

Re the pot bust, it seems the constitutional backdrop may have forced both sides into a tacit understanding that pot is fine so long as it stays at home:

Dave Schofield is the chief of police in Whittier. He is also the only officer who lives in town. Alaska’s laws often reflect the needs of a sparsely populated state, which presents challenges for policing within Begich Towers. For example, the state constitution has written into it a right to privacy; if something is occurring in your own home, you have the right to keep it private. This means that although there is a pervasive smell of marijuana in Begich Towers, the police can do little about it. “The law says you can’t have drugs within 500 feet of a school; there’s not a unit in this building that’s 500 feet from the school, but we have the right-to-privacy issue.”

The pot bust itself appears to have stemmed from this event:

A few years ago, a pot grower on the 10th floor had just finished a harvest and decided to get rid of some of the evidence by flushing it down the toilet. In the process he stopped up the plumbing on the floors below him—a neighbor called city management to complain that someone had flushed large amounts of dog food down the toilets, but it turned out to be pellets of grow medium.

http://reedyoung.com/project/whittier-alaska/r-young-whittie...

FYI that's that same pot bust that ended up with the town's school getting to repurpose the hydroponics system for the schoolkids to grow veggies. I remember that pic being in one of the articles I posted about Whittier earlier.

Anyway, the whole thread is someone going "I used to live in Whittier, AMA", basically.

(The link in the quote doesn't work.)
  • I wonder who is it who decided that air conditioner console covers should be difficult to take apart.
  • Today I saw a girl with cat ears, in a random, everyday context that doesn't involve costumes or anything. And thus that's one more of those internet things that I find out is also a real-life thing.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I saw a woman in grey habit wearing a grey veil over her face. By the way she moved, she seemed young, but that's all I can say. Looked like she was going home from some sort of "The Handmaid's Tale"-esque LARP. In my case, however, I am told there was some sort of occasion that was a likely cause.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    senpai still has not noticed me
  • edited 2018-06-12 07:51:25
    Hopefully one day our senpai will notice us.

Anyhows, trying to learn to draw is having effects, I just realized I can write in a different way than I had done my entire life (I can now do dynamic tripod in addition to lateral tripod), although with noticeably worse handwriting (not that it was good to begin with).

Also, it bugs me that at some point since finishing high school I lost the capacity to study things that don't involve doing exercises, and while of course drawing involves doing loads of them, for some reason books and other resources refrain from assigning exercises so I get lost not knowing what to do.
    Hopefully one day our senpai will notice us.
    inb4 "senpai" starts to mean "God"
    Anyhows, trying to learn to draw is having effects, I just realized I can write in a different way than I had done my entire life (I can now do dynamic tripod in addition to lateral tripod), although with noticeably worse handwriting (not that it was good to begin with).
    The first time I noticed different handwriting hand-postures was when I noticed one of my math teacher doing it, and writing in a characteristically distinctive way. I experimented with it a bit and found that that posture felt "boorish" but curious to me.
    Also, it bugs me that at some point since finishing high school I lost the capacity to study things that don't involve doing exercises, and while of course drawing involves doing loads of them, for some reason books and other resources refrain from assigning exercises so I get lost not knowing what to do.
    oh gosh i know this feel
    inb4 "senpai" starts to mean "God"

I can't tell if this is a Symphogear joke or not.

Sometime when I stopped paying attention Olivia from LEGO Friends was given a racelift (it feels weird saying this when the skin color doesn't get lighter). In this case I guess it was to address that Heartlake City was only like 20% minorities so... yay diversity!

Nobody even liked normal Olivia anyways, plus, at least she didn't end up like Daniel.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Around here, there is a place called Hel. A bus going there used to carry the number 666. (Or still carries, I'm not sure.) Public transport officials claim it wasn't intentional.
    AY
  • It's that period every four years when I start caring about football.

As usual I'll be rooting for the underdogs, so that'd be Panama, Egypt and Senegal.
  • edited 2018-06-15 09:24:14
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    My dad has entered "You may be talking right now but unless it's about football I don't really care" mode, too.

I remember that the last time the World Cup was around it was in Brazil (oh gods I am probably 100% wrong) and Aikatsu! 2nd Season had a song called Egao no Suncatcher which is a super-summery song which kind of had a vaguely Rio vibe to it (like, as far as I could tell).

That's literally the one memory I have associated with the World Cup. Every once in a while when I listen to it I even think about the World Cup but only this story since the only sports I care about are Vanguard and Buddyfight.

Well also compared to other sports people football guys tend to be cute and not gigantic bulk monsters. The only other team sports with guys who aren't are cricket and basketball. All cricket players look exactly the same to me no matter their ethnicity because of that one white uniform, and basketball is too American for me to ever see the players on the news that often.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I live in Pittsburgh, so "football" to me just means "fanatical Steelers fans"
    This year I feel a lot less interest than I used to. Now, that doesn't mean I used to be a big footy fan but I kind of cared, this time I guess the most I'll do is to read news.
    I hate to admit this but this is probably how I felt about this year's Eurovision (which is bad since I've only been paying attention for three years and the first one was practically by accident).

Yesterday I managed to get the Ever After High Spring Unsprung Briar Beauty doll. I was in another city for work stuff and I'd originally intended to go to this auction place to get some LEGO Friends stuff since I'd seen it there before, but I kind of lost my mind when I got there and saw her. Spring Unsprung is like, 3 years old already, and Ever After High as a brand tanked about a year after that.

I'd have rather gotten Holly (since I don't have a Holly doll and she's not that vaguely racist "black dolls don't sell so the only black character* in the line is Pinnochio so she has wood grain" thing that Cedar is) but if I start along this line of thinking I'd rather have gotten Justine Dancer from the final Signature line or Through The Woods Ashlynn Ella or C.A.Cupid or Hat-Tastic Party Apple White or [it goes on and on].

Basically; I realized that I didn't even care about what I went there to get in the first place because I only ended up spending 15% of what I'd set aside for the trip, even though they had what I was looking for otherwise.

*The final Signature line did have Justine Dancer, but when your last hurrah line is the only one with a black character who isn't part-tree that's not super promising.
    I turned 23 today~
    Happy birthday fourteenwings~
    Wow, so we aren't all a bunch of old farts. Not that I would mind it, the rest of you. Congrats.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    congratulations on surviving another trip around the sun
  • May this day bring you glory!
    Thanks guys~
    so we aren't all a bunch of old farts.

I'm pretty old in anime protagonist years, at least.