If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    That's good to hear.

Another consequence of my Gossip Girl rewatch; I really want a flip-phone now. I mean if I could find one that had a decent Maps app I'd switch to it in a second.

It's old fashioned, I know, but the characters make answering flip phones look so cool.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    My car's been playing tricks. Looks like the chap might need a visit to a mechanic.
    Guys, the bomber jacket is over. I never even got my floral one.

Like, everybody has one. It's everywhere and even though there might be thousands of variations they are all essentially the same.

It's worse than hoodies at this point, because that basic design with the pinched waistline+obvious cuffed sleeves+upright semicircle collar is just so intrinsic to the design that there is no fabric or pattern you can do with it that will make it new and unique.

It's like the outer-wear T-shirt and somehow that doesn't work for me.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
  • edited 2020-10-30 14:06:08
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I'm yet to watch the finale myself, but it turns out Israel won Eurovision this year (spoiled by a BBC RSS feed headline, which is the most 2010 thing).

Which is funny, because I usually will say politics doesn't play a gigantic role in Eurovision (Ukraine in 2016 notwithstanding) since Britain and Germany keep making this exact same complaint every year before besotting everybody with the most terrible songs. I don't know if Germany's Perfect Life deserved a practically zero score last year, but both the music and lyrics were so non-committal I'd personally give it a negative score (EDIT: it didn't it's actually really good and memorable). They're super lucky Spain decided to just blow it on Do It For Your Lover.

This year though both Spain and Britain's songs were much better, and I do hope they do well in the overall ranking. I mean, being spoiled on the winner isn't the worst; the rest of the top ten and bottom five also matter a lot.
  • edited 2020-10-30 14:05:36
    After actually watching the finale, I get I have to take it back. I mean, how can I not after SuRie's (and therefore the UK's) microphone was literally ripped out of her hands. That was terrible, and I'm very sad that happened. It was even worse how she still didn't even get near the top of the second half.

Basically none of the songs I liked got near the top 5, but Cyprus, the one country who I (and apparently an insane amount of bookmakers) believed deserved the win out of the countries that did make it up there.
  • edited 2018-05-14 21:48:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Greetings from Ketchikan, Alaska.

Flat land is in short supply here. Excellent views of picturesque scenery, on the other hand, are abundant.
    I trust Alaska will prove welcomingly weird.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    why are you in Alaska
    Flat land is in short supply here.

Every American I've ever met has commented on how not-flat it is here that I'm starting to imagine American mountains just pop out of the ground on the horizon with no warning.

also what gck said
  • edited 2018-05-15 11:52:41
    "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    Come take our flat land, we have it in abundance.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Greetings from Juneau, where I had a chance of a lifetime to hike through temperate rainforest in order to step foot on a glacier.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I saw a glacier once
  • edited 2018-05-16 15:43:13
    finally i have a moment to putz around om my phone when om land and not in a hurry somewhere

greetings from skagway, alaska.

unlike juneau (the capital of alaska) and ketchikan (which has always been a fishing village), skagway was a gold rush boom town that actually died out before being revived as a tourist attraction. basically the entire town is part of the Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park. there's a narrow gauge railroad up to the Yukon Territory of Canada here; it now operates as a scenic railroad trip (at like >100$ a ticket).

I'll talk more after I've actually seen this place.
  • edited 2018-05-19 09:32:31
    Sounds cold.

Remember Maddox? (one of the early internet celebrities, author of The Best Page In The Universe and pioneer in edgy cynical humour). I recently learned that he's become a lolcow. How the mighty have fallen. I wonder if in years to come mid/late 00s internet humor will age as badly as his did, if it hasn't already.
    Talking about early internet, recently I learned that a major convention hosts a lecture on 2002-2012 memes. The title is "Remember that?".
  • edited 2018-05-19 06:58:33
    I bet the answer is a resounding "no".

I wonder what'll happen to people whose entire thing is having followers on [Social Media Platform X] in a few years. I mean, for every person who migrates properly to the next thing there are like a thousand who don't.

I really shouldn't have to wonder though; might as well just look up Myspace people.

EDIT: It seems Myspace sucked at being a popularity contest, so there isn't much aside from scene queens who are just emo girls. None of them still matter, obviously, since the instagram generation is all about being as traditionally attractive as possible.

It's weird to see this sort of thing actually where having the majority of your friends on a computer went from a thing for people who spelled.sentences-with-alltheFEELS to being for everybody.

Vine, though, seemed to capture that enormity of modern social media in what was essentially a blip of modern history. It's actually kind of disturbing what happened with Vine; literally all the popular Vine people apparently knew/were told Vine was shutting down way before it did, and so they built up their other social media platforms. Unfortunately people who didn't like Christina Gilles barely come up in a Google search. Some of them, like Cody Johns, suffered massive hits and now have to fight for Google relevance with the guy who played MC in I Am Number Four.

[As if this isn't enough celebrity obsession] Royal Wedding Today. I'm quite excited.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I have never heard of any of these people
  • edited 2018-05-19 17:06:21
    Here's what I wrote up about Skagway three days ago:
    So the place actually became touristy a lot earlier than I thought: back in WWI, only a couple decades after the infamous Gold Rush.

Also, it stayed viable partly as a port for stuff to reach other parts of Alaska and northwest Canada. Because it got a railroad built -- the car road actually came much later.

In fact, at first, Skagway was the second entry to the Klondike -- the nearby town of Dyea was the first. But Skagway came about when it promised a lower mountain pass into the Yukon area, then a railroad got built. Dyea has since, well, died out, no pun intended -- just some ruins are left, but it's mostly woods now, while Skagway is still quite an active cruise ship port. Apparently it also has one of Alaska's best school systems too. Though housing is in short supply and rent is expensive despite the niche economy and high cost of living (due to the difficulty of transporting goods), since its valley land is basically all parceled out already.

Speaking of cars, the town of Carcross, in Yukon (the northwesternmost province of Canada), has apparently little to do with cars specifically. It's abbreviated from the phrase "Caribou Crossing", its former name. A herd of caribou used to frequent the place apparently. But then someone got too smart by half and killed most of the herd there. (The survivors apparently scattered.) That said it IS now technically a car crossing these days, albeit a small one.

Anyway, greetings from Whittier, Alaska.

You may have seen me mention it before.

I'm here now.

Waiting to get into the tunnel.

It was meant to be very rainy, and indeed, today it is rainy, windy, and cold.
    I have internet here now.

I caught like one photo of Whittier's windsock.

We're waiting to get into the tunnel so it's a little boring right now.

The tunnel is well-equipped. There are three giant fans on both ends of the tunnel. These are used to purge the tunnel of exhaust fumes as well as to keep out snow and sometimes hurricane-force winds. There are tow trucks in garages on both ends. And there are also safehouses with piped-in fresh air and cots, just in case.

The weather on the other side of this mountain, which this tunnel goes through, and whose name I've already forgotten, is unknown from merely looking at this side.
    Tolls cost like thirtysomething USD to pass through for a car, and like $137 for a 50-person motorcoach.
  • edited 2018-05-19 19:09:32
    I missed my one chance to get a raven plushie. It was US$35 because it was a membership gift.

Tempted to get a wolf plushie but it wasn't available either.
  • edited 2018-05-19 19:57:01
    At the corner of Seward Highway and Alyeska Highway, there's a shop called "Tourist Trap". At least they're honest.

Anyhow, here's Girdwood. Appparently a ski resort town that aspires to be more than just that, so there's now year-round stuff going on. Apparently there are artsy types here, including someone who makes his own stained-glass windows.

The late and legendary Sen. Ted Stevens used to live here and got in trouble for receiving improvements to his house from lobbyists, or something like that.
  • edited 2018-05-19 21:36:49
    Funny quotes so far today:

"What's the difference between unlawful and illegal? Unlawful means it's against the law, and illegal means a sick bird."

"Which way are the seven glaciers [for which the restaurant Seven Glaciers is named]?" "Oh, there aren't seven specific glaciers; somsone just named it that and it stuck."

"So where's Ted Stevens's house?" "Which one? Oh, the one he got in trouble for."
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    glenn why are you in alaska
    i was brought here by a cruise ship that wished to take my parents' money
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    and your parents fell for it! ha ha ha
  • edited 2018-05-20 04:49:30
    The Royal Wedding ended up being quite the bust. I think my memories of the William wedding were mostly of the procession after, so watching the actual marriage part (which was like, so much religion) basically killed all of my excitement for anything. Also I guess I realized I just didn't care about any of this and might as well have watched the 2 minute recap they did on any news channel a few hours after.

I bought a new pair of shoes and the care guide contained two great pieces of advice:
    • Never wear socks with sandals as that is not 'cool' (quotes included)
    • Always take off your shoes in an emergency exit situation on a plane, as no pair of shoes is worth your life/possibly the lives of everybody else if you puncture the inflatable slide thingy
    i was brought here by a cruise ship that wished to take my parents' money

You are very close to a surrealist manga premise.
  • edited 2018-05-20 08:55:56
    That cruise ship is rude.

I'm bummed that I don't really know how to learn to draw, books/websites just teach you a few concepts and then I'm off to practice whatever without having a structured approach to go at it.
    Greetings from Anchorage. Got more to say later~