If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• I just got new internet service. Compared to the earlier one it's slow, limited, not virtually free, no wi-fi (it's one of those USB modem things) and I have reasons to believe it'll be very unreliable, but at least I can get back to doing things now.

Since it's limited I'll have to rethink my browsing habits, that probably means no Youtube, no image dump thread and no "acquiring" things. I guess I'm finally going to learn how those who live in dorms feel.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    We feel for you mate. Let's hope your access gets better soon.
  • edited 2018-08-10 14:11:53
    Ahh, thank you.

I wonder if there's a good way to get this fixed for reals. I live next to an hotel and two days ago the phone company's technicians came to fix their issues because they had an upcoming videoconference, so they certainly have their ways.

Also I haven't had landline phone service for like two months now, I guess that's relevant, not that it bothers me too much though.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Hmph, if I lived next to a hotel, I wonder if I could ask around what the password to their wifi was.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    http://www.linkydinky.com/jackschitt.shtml

this is a classic

(warning: foul language. obviously.)
    (warning: puns. obviously.)
  • ^^ They used to have it open, but not anymore. We've tried asking for the password, to no avail. Though even then that'd only work for part of the house and for things that connect through wifi.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    There's a twitter campaign right now to get Jack Whitehall uncasted as Disney's first ever (second ever after Gaston's lackey in live action Beauty and the Beast?) officially gay character in some dumb movie called Jungle Cruise, because Jack Whitehall isn't gay.

I literally didn't even know this movie existed and now I'm only interested because Jack Whitehall is in it playing Disney's first ever officially gay character because like, Jack Whitehall is great.

So um yeah I really hope they don't fire him (and I hope he doesn't quit either).

Plus like if twitter people want to get mad why can't they get mad at the fact that Harry Hook from Descendants 2 had his sexuality cut from said movie and then entirely rewritten for Descendants 3 so Disney could capitalize on Thomas Doherty and Dove Cameron's real-life status as a couple for PR purposes.
    I want to try and get back into puzzles (after my failed attempt last year with that 1000-piecer). I feel like lately all I do is stare at a screen (not just for nerd things, but with work and school too) and that can't be great for... well, anything.

This has all kind of come to a head lately because of I'm not a fan of binge-watching things but I also can't seem to stop myself either. I watched all of Gossip Girl in about six or seven months and then a few weeks later I watched like 16 episodes of M3 in one week (technically I watched all 24 episodes in one 7 day week but they were two separate calendar 'weeks') and I'm quite worried about developing a bad habit.
  • I have the opposite problem, I can't binge even when I know it's the best way to do what I'm doing. Usually at the 20 min mark I start to get the urge to do something else.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Hola, again. How are you guys doin'
    Hey vandro~
    not bad amirite
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I still live
    sup vandro
  • Hey there, vandro! It's been a while.
  • edited 2018-08-21 11:31:21
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    It's been a while since I've mentioned this (because even for me it's a pretty weird hobby) but last year Superdry killed it with it's flip flop design. This should be obvious; I mean, how can I of all people ever overcome the post-weeb style?

This year, I think Jack & Jones are my favorite. It's probably just my shifting tastes, but the simpler design and subtle graphic direction makes them really great. Plus they have black designs with orange accents, which is my favorite combination of colours on flip flips that isn't white with green accents.

Though this is probably my favorite design of all time though (it's Superdry from like... two years ago).

Oh also despite all of this I never ever wear flip flops because they're super bad for your feet (and their arch support is always lacking).
  • Gosh I dislike wearing flip-flops too, although I gotta admit they're convenient when you need to go out for like 30 seconds. I don't dislike them now as much as I did a while ago, so maybe one can get used to them?

Anyhows, it took several hours of troubleshooting, playing guessing games regarding poor documentation, and doing that open source thing where to set up something you need to install its dependencies for which you need these modules which require these compilers that you get over there using these programs after setting up the filepaths to these libraries etc., but I managed to build a program (Forge, the M:tG engine which runs in Java). Hopefully that was the hard part of what I wanted to do (have it show the cards' text in non-English languages, changing the text is not hard, but the encoding is wrong).
  • edited 2018-08-22 01:35:33
    Huge earthquake, on the other side of the country but still, some friends managed to feel it (I didn't), admittedly I didn't know earthquakes could be felt from that far away. Thankfully it seems that there hasn't been major damages.
  • edited 2018-08-22 04:46:36
    So... I've been writing for a long time and I finally took the plunge and posted my stuff on FictionPress. There have been a lot of things that happened (both with me in relation to the story I'm posting and the site and readers etc) but I've been working pretty diligently, I'd say.

A few days ago I got a Private Message from an account that claims to work for Scriblr, which I hadn't heard of and had to google since FictionPress' PM system filters out links because of spam. It seems to be some sort of tech start up that is looking to create some sort of interactive content based on stories, and the person who PM-ed me claims to work for them. Apparently my work caught their attention.

I think I'm going to Engage and attempt to find out more, but I'm really suspicious of this whole thing. The account PM-ing me has no content on it and I don't know anything about it aside from it's in India, but I haven't put anything on my profile either (I just post my story).
  • That sounds suspicious, yeah. I'd be wary.
    Makes me think of a Nigerian novelist who can only publish a collection of his short stories if he also includes some by aspiring new authors.

They might be for real, I can imagine they want to open an internet-based community publishing house or whatever and start with amateur authors, but yeah, I'd watch out too. I don't know how much at risk of theft you are when it comes to intellectual property, but they might want to get to your not-so-intellectual property (not to say intellectual isn't a concern). So I wish you success but take care.
  • edited 2018-08-22 13:47:22
    I mean in case of this specific IP, I'd probably be more than a bit glad if it got stolen (my main concern is that it's way too long) but like yeah when things get to "oh btw you should def give us [financial stuff of any sort]" I'll bail immediately.

Even if it is a legitimate opportunity, they do make you sign a contract that (only?) they can terminate based on a weird set of conditions that don't really read right. Plus they will edit your work without your approval in order to post it on the site.

I did a bit more digging and found out that I did indeed get one visitor from India on my story, but they probably read one entire chapter (the first one). If I worked with a publishing house, I'd probably want to check out the rest of the material and make sure it doesn't implode in on itself.

Anyways I PM'ed the account asking for credentials and I'll probably crosscheck with the actual Scriblr site contact form. Unless the whole thing turns out to be a scam, in which case... well, we'll see.

On a lighter note lately I've taken to watching the TimeToPlayMag channel on YouTube when I have like... 10+ minutes to waste instead of watching a full on episode of anything (I tried a digital detox but I'm me so that worked for as long as it took to complete one five hundred piece puzzle). I think their The Playdate series where two senior editors discuss the latest in toys funny, but relaxing enough to turn my brain off.

They tend to go off script a lot and they never really pull their punches, unlike with most people on YouTube who review anything (who are either giant nerds or people who go 'wow this is so perfect I promise this isn't sponsored*/*I'm lying'). Never expected a reference to the Alt Right in a toy infomercial about Ken dolls though.
  • If it's a scam, the contract could be used (regardless of what it says) as a way to extort people into keeping on with the scheme. That doesn't mean it's a scam, but yeah, it's fishy.

Anyhows, I'm kind of worried about my internet connection. Supposedly I have three SIM cards that amount to 5 GB/month and when one expires, another must be attached to the USB modem thing. Although it turns out I use much less bandwidth than I thought, I'm pretty sure I've used up the first 5GB already, but I can still browse all fine. It can be recharged, but it's not supposed to be automatic and in fact requires running errands, but still, I wonder if I'm being overcharged.
    Things I Learned Today (well, yesterday but close enough): Sigismondo Malatesta was a XVth Century Italian who received a unique honour of getting "canonized into Hell", in addition to normal excommunication, for publicly shagging the Papal emissary who was a fifteen year-old bishop.
    That's certainly a thing to learn.

Today I finished Okada Mari's biography, and I learned quite a bit about anime production. Now I'm hoping J-Novel club release another biography... like ever.
  • edited 2018-08-27 05:15:56
    I just found out that John Paul II canonized 483 saints during his time as pope, which seems to be more than they previously did for centuries.

I have no idea what kind of thought process would lead to that.
    I've been told it was a conscious policy intended to demonstrate that saints aren't some sort of mythic being from the past, but everyday people who just were pious enough. This explanation won't work for every case, but it could have been a factor in many.
    I've been covering this guy at work for the past week. He's well... that super flaky guy from every American comedy who you don't believe exists until you're confronted with the depressing reality of it.

Basically, that means I've been doing 1.5x as much as usual. Yesterday he called me to tell me he was "free" again and to bring him some stuff he'd forgotten (a bag full of stuff that I didn't look into because after certain past events I've decided people's issues should be left to themselves). At first he told me all I needed to do was get it to him at a place nearby, then he called me to tell me I had to take it all the way to his house because his taxi driver "got mad" and wanted to "go home".

At first, he claimed he wanted "his stuff" and when I asked about the rest of his work (which he could do from home) he gave me a noncommital "yes" and then refused to take it and told me he'd be back at full capacity the next day ie today. Then he doesn't show up in the morning and when I called he said he'd show up in the afternoon and then he proceeded to not (I'd already left by then) and sent me a vague message about getting him his work stuff since he was relatively close to my school.

Then he starts kind of dodging my questions before just coming out and saying he won't show up today and so I had to go back to work and finish up his lot because our stuff is time-sensitive (when the system is set to the next day it won't accept any of the previous day's records) and baaaaaaaaaaasically I was doing all of this "helping" him off the book (our manager is aware but he's not the top gun around here).

So I do all of this work and I was so annoyed that I erased everything from his whiteboard (we all have one but he uses his a lot/at all because in case it isn't obvious he's hyper-flaky) entirely out of spite.

In news of more Super High School Level Tier Trolling, Dutch "politician" Geert Wilders started a "Draw Muhammad" contest and got all the reactions he wanted (somebody apparently actually threatened to kill him and then went to his place of work this time).
    For some reason Balmain's Resort 2019 collection is "What if we told people that '2002 Backstreet Boys' was in?"

Or "What if we just made those things H&M makes and charged 500% more for them?"
    I read that as "Batman's Resort 2019 collection".