If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    That is a sad state of affairs indeed.

I finally finished Hina Logi. It played out exactly like some sort of warning about watching card game shows that suddenly decide they need to be moe SoL shows. It was such a terrible ad for Luck & Logic that I'm pretty sure nobody would be blamed for not believing the IRL card game didn't exist.
  • Finally, they arrived at the hospital. It was pure white, and clean, with no stains at all on the…

…Nevermind, if you looked closely, you’d see bird poop everywhere.

I never thought one of my favorite things about a universe would be the ugliness.
    Because I'm the one who said nobody reads manga here anymore, I of course ended up finding two gigantic Bleach omnibuses I bought on a whim and started reading them.

I read volume 52 of Bleach. It involved Ichigo learning to use his Fullbring powers to transform into a Hollow/Mummy hybrid type thing, before discovering that one of the Fullbringers wants to... um, hurt him, for reasons.

He does this by cutting everybody Ichigo knows with his Fullbring (a bookmark), which overwrites their memories and inserts him into their lives. Ichigo and his only still sane ally, the man who was training him to use his Fullbring powers, launch an assault until his new ally is also cut.

His new ally (yes, I have forgotten his name, Jirou maybe?) then reveals that this was all a convoluted plot to manifest Ichigo's Fullbring powers and then steal them. He had his Bookmark friend cut him once before to completely wipe this evil plan from his mind so he could act convincing and then cut him again to restore normalcy.

But fear not, as Rukia, Uryu and everybody else who wasn't cut suddenly shows up and will probably save the day in volume 53.

Overall, I still enjoy Bleach's art. The lines are clean and crisp, compared to like Naruto which always felt like the farther away on page a character is the more blobby they get, and there's much less scratching. It's also a really fun and enjoyable action manga and I'm surprised I could pick it up and not feel like I'd really missed too much (granted, this is the Xcution arc which is pretty standalone anyways).
    Another season is over. I've still got three episodes of DIVE!! to watch, but otherwise I'm done. I'll write up my thoughts in a bit.

Mostly because I'm too busy reading other people's badly written reviews on MAL.
  • 1hTiJWt.jpg

Still better than Re:Creators.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Another season is over. I've still got three episodes of DIVE!! to watch, but otherwise I'm done. I'll write up my thoughts in a bit.

Mostly because I'm too busy reading other people's badly written reviews on MAL.

I rrad DIVE!! as DYRE!!.

calling @DYRE
  • edited 2017-09-27 13:08:07
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Summer Retrospective

DIVE!!: Great all throughout, really brought the drama to sports, even though the budget was so low they literally skipped most of the diving bits.

Princess Principal: Princess Principal had very good writing from episode to episode, but it never seemed to have the drive to build that into a solid narrative at any point. The final two episodes feel like a mid-point for the series, which is probably the intention. The main characters have barely ever interacted with the main villain, and I'm pretty sure he's also in the dark about most of their team, so this is probably some type of sequel hook.

Hina Logi ~from Luck & Logic~: How what is technically a card game adaptation can be turned into some sort of SoL thing where nobody's problems are solved by the end is impressive, in a very bad way. It might have been tolerable if they had at least had competent SoL type stuff, but it kept feeling like the dialogue itself was stalling for time until something happened, which it never did. Even so, I'm super excited for the "why are all the main characters moe girls now" Z/X reboot next year!
    Next cour will be a weird time for me, since I'm trying to keep my maximum capacity to 4 full-lenth shows and 2 shorts, but I'm already watching:
    • Aikatsu Stars! Hoshi no Tsubasa
    • DREAM FESTIVAL! R, a late summer show I'm counting as Fall
    • THE KING OF FIGHTERS : DESTINY, a CG ONA, might count as a short because of the varied air times)
    • Kamen Rider Build, which is toku

But as for things I'm excited about right this second? It's actually just shorts, and there are two of those:
    • Sylvanian Families Mini Stories, I love the Sylvanian Families toys, they look really cute, and I've always been to lazy to look up their old anime.
    • Taishou Chicchai-san, based on this BL game from forever ago, and I've been liking the "adorable SD guy shorts" thing lately (Ikemen Sengoku from Summer was near AOTY levels)

Shows I should be excited for but am not right now:
    • Code:Realize ~Sousei no Himegimi~, I've been waiting for this adaptation forever.
    • URAHARA, because there's nothing better than sci-fi and fashion coordinates together. It seemed kind of poignant from the information I'd seen earlier.
    • Infini-T Force, there are only a few shows in the past few years that held me as much as Gatchaman CROWDS, and yet another new take on Tatsunoko properties seems promising.

So basically I have to drop Kamen Rider Build if I want to get anything done but I also really like Build right now.
    The B*Project sequel is finally being fleshed out for 2018. I'd watch the first anime but I might as well watch iM@S sideM, I think.

Though project wise and artstyle wise I like B*Project better, but sideM has DRIVE A LIVE, which is the greatest song.

Also there's only a prologue episode out right now...
  • edited 2017-10-03 16:18:52
    fourteenwings: (...)KusoMebu(...)
    Naas: are you just compelled to be mean at her at every opportunity
    fourteenwings: To be fair so is the prose
    (...)

fourteenwings: "For the first time, Mebuki saw Yumiko as not a member of the sentinels, but as another human.
    fourteenwings: " I don't care if the TS is wonky
    fourteenwings: this line is the best
    Naas: is Mebu just that much of a jerk
    fourteenwings: Hopefully
    (...)

fourteenwings: "The fragile hopes the sentinels bore were blotted out with despair in a blink of an eye..." oh KusoMebu

I don't think either of us predicted that the YuYuYu spinoffs would be so much fun.
    Yeah I was thinking, don't both of you hate YuYuYu?
  • edited 2017-10-03 17:19:12
    Naas: why is it that
    Naas: people we know who claim to like the YuYuYu anime
    Naas: aren't nearly as deep into its universe
    fourteenwings: Because the one thing you need to be obsessed with something is actually a deep-seated hatred of it
    Naas: why is it that
    Naas: people we know who claim to like the YuYuYu anime
    Naas: aren't nearly as deep into its universe
    fourteenwings: Because the one thing you need to be obsessed with something is actually a deep-seated hatred of it

heh
    Also I like the OP for Frame Arms Girl.
    It is a great OP.
  • edited 2017-10-03 18:33:04
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    [Frame Arms Girl OP comparison. warning: pantyshot right at the beginning]

Y'know, the "conspicuous CG"...is actually distinctive and more charming, in my opinion, and using it for the non-human characters actually makes sense.
    URAHARA was... an experience. I know it has no budget, but it really didn't stop it from being really beautiful and amazing in every way. There was a danged Karl Lagerfeld joke! I wanted to die and go to URAHARA heaven...

then the plot started and it's kind of basic and I really want the plot to not exist so the girls can just do Harajuku things in every episode.

It's sort of like MILPOM☆ in ways, but I just... I really didn't know I was waiting for this anime to happen till it did.
    Anyone know the source context/character shown here?
    black_mode_ready.png
  • Y'know, the "conspicuous CG"...is actually distinctive and more charming, in my opinion, and using it for the non-human characters actually makes sense.

I find it oft-putting, tbh

Guilty Gear Xrd is the only time in the history of the world anime-style 3DCG has been done right (outside promotional material anyways):

And ahmaigad, I just found out there's a Guilty Gear Xrd 2
    Speaking of 3DCG things, Infini-T Force was better than I expected. Really enjoyed it.
  • edited 2017-10-07 18:13:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I went into Code:Realize actually kind of wishing it was bad so I could stick with URAHARA, and I did think the middle was pretty weirdly scripted (a lot of character interactions tied in with two entire infodumps) but towards the end I just really got into it.

I hate to say this, but I think this is actually one of those times where it would have benefited from two-cours, to allow for it to breathe between scenes. As is, it's still pretty great at subtle character things and the plot is ridiculously interesting.

So Infini-T Force, Code:Realize and DREAM FESTIVAL! it is*.

*Do I need to mention Aikatsu Stars! anymore I mean everybody knows I'm always watching that.

I think I've also found a pretty good replacement for Ikemen Sengoku in Taishou Chiichai-san.
  • I'm pretty much all caught up with the Magical Girl Raising Project novels.

MUUdMbs.jpg

This has been fun. A lot happened that I didn't expect and wouldn't expect to happen in other places.
    This is the type of thing that usually wouldn't warrant it's whole own post but it's actually really starting to get to me. The Aria episode of Aikatsu Stars! was really not up to the quality the show has been producing so far this season, and it just had a whole bunch of questionable choices about everything.

First of all, this was the episode when the new OP and ED debuted, and whilst both were amazing, last year this was around the time dramatic things like Koharu leaving and Yume dealing with her Rainbow Overdrive were happening. Now, this isn't a complain about the tone, because the Mahiru episode before this was amazing, but Aria herself presented a huge issue.

She's really out there in a way that makes her so visibly plain in terms of motivation, by which I mean she has none aside from "wanting to have fun with Aikatsu".

This wouldn't hurt too much if she brought along her own brand, but she's now the representative of the legacy brand My Little Heart. This is the brand that took Hime beyond the very top of Song Class last year, and the brand that acts as her only line of defense against Elza.

So she ends up giving it to a childhood friend who doesn't actually care about dresses that much, which is weird because nobody will shut up about dresses this season (in a good way). I've theorized that this is a combination of both Hime realizing that after Yume gets her Star Wings with Rainbow Berry Parfait, she's not going to come back to My Little Heart. The very last My Little Heart collection was very much inspired by Yume's aesthetic, which she carries over into Berry Parfait.

But then I also remember that My Little Heart's summer collection was fairy inspired, which makes me think that at some point Aria inspired Hime more than Yume did, and so after Yume comes up with her own brand she just defaults to that even though Aria is not cut out for this high-speed Aikatsu world. It's kind of sad, especially since every other Venus Ark girl so far has been really compelling and fun.

Since I'm already writing about Aikatsu Stars!, I'm very annoyed by Rainbow Berry Parfait's name. It's way too long and weird, why didn't Berry Parfait become Rainbow Parfait? That makes way more sense.

I also think the brand's dresses are all pretty brilliant... except for the Premium Rare? It looks way too much like they were trying to recreate Ichigo's Constellation Coord from 2nd Season, and then they paired it with boots that look objectively terrible and age it up like 20 years. If it genuinely did come down to a fight between the Rainbow Etoile Coord and the Blooming Queen Coord, the Blooming Queen Coord blows it out of the water every time, and Elza deserves the Sun Dress.
  • edited 2017-10-11 16:33:19
    Naas huh, Twin Angel Break had the same writer as
    Naas Genei
    fourteenwings Yeah what
    Naas she also wrote every Twin Angel anime besides the first OVA
    fourteenwings I think my thoughts about her should be obvious given this information

Though they also wrote some Sky Girls and I liked that show.
    Naas huh, Twin Angel Break had the same writer as
    Naas Genei
    fourteenwings Yeah what
    Naas she also wrote every Twin Angel anime besides the first OVA
    fourteenwings I think my thoughts about her should be obvious given this information

Though they also wrote some Sky Girls and I liked that show.

I never thought I'd hear about that show again. heh

Speaking of which I actually went through every anime series to which I am somewhat familiar with the soundtrack and picked out tracks that I feel are iconic or my favorite to each.
  • edited 2017-10-12 12:11:27
    I just watched the Soushin Shoujo Matoi special, and that has a very iconic piece of music that plays whenever Matoi uses her Myriad powers that I don't actually know the name of even though the soundtrack has been out forever.

It was also really annoying that they waited until the BD only episode before really ramping up the actually good comedy that they apparently had in them all along.

Meanwhile, URAHARA's second episode introduces a plot involving there being a protective bubble around Harajuku. I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with YuYuYu but considering how kind of... taxing the episode was, I'm probably going to take it's advice and watch Yu^3WaYuNoShou instead.

Then again.
    Grape-kun has passed away.

In case you're wondering who I'm talking about, he's the elderly Humboldt penguin that fell in love with a cardboard cutout of the Kemono Friends character representing his species, and became a thing on the internet as a result.
  • edited 2017-10-13 09:23:35
    Seven Arcs, who totally flaked on Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru this cour, have decided to put their money on actually airing an anime the season they say they will with a new adaptation of Basilisk.

I have to say, this is kind of baffling. Saredo seems like it's a good-ish investment, and since they do adaptations now you'd think they would go with things in their brand wheelhouse (Nanoha, Dog Days etc).

I bet it'll be delayed to Fall.
    There's something weird about the audio of this video...but somehow it works out right.