If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    eh? somebody ranting about bombing walls for 20 minutes? I think I'll pass
    I actually watched all of the videos (M1, M2, SM, MF, MZM, AM2R) and he never rants about bombing walls. In fact I don't remember him even using ANY footage of more-than-one-step bomb jumping.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    He starts off complaining about having to explore stuff.

This is not a good sign.
  • edited 2017-09-06 12:51:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Strangely, Summon Night Twin Age import Japanese-language carts are cheaper than Summon Night Twin Age English-language carts.
    He starts off complaining about having to explore stuff.

This is not a good sign.
    To be fair I do disagree with him on his opinion of the Chozo Temple music in M2. I like that theme because it is both in-your-face and strange.
  • edited 2017-09-08 03:51:47
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    Free game alert: Monaco is free on Steam until tomorrow morning.
  • Ahhh, thanks!

My favourite kind of games, the ones that cost nothing.
  • Speaking of that The Walking Dead: Season 1 is also free on Humble Bundle. Being a licensed game, I assume it's not good, but hey, it's free.

Self-reminder to install Steam and redeem it.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    My current high elf ranger is most likely the second best ADoM character I've ever had. If I manage to get past the Cat Lord, it will be the best.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Update: I FUCKING got that BATDAMNED furry BASTARD. Spent like a DOZEN potions, I'm out of like all the good healing stuff I had, but my character received so much XP he got from 23 lvl to like 26 in a single take. FUCK that furry shit. FUCK. Kitty karma my ass. Piece of shit. This is officially my best ADoM character ever. Fuck yeah.

Now I kinda expect I'm gonna be accidentally paralyzed and offed by some random goblin in an otherwise completely unmemorable fragment of dungeon.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I'm playing Metroid Doom
    Not goblin. Magical writing set. Needed that scroll of corruption removal. Got the name wrong when typing a wish.
    > batdamned

reminds me of this one track from a Castlevania game, called "You Goddamned Bathead".
  • I wonder what the modern-day equivalent of pushing the SNES/N64's cartdrige would be.

^^ I take that your high elf ranger didn't survive?
    Right now I wonder whether I'm done with ADoM for a while, or try a new one the soonest I have some free time.
  • Psychonauts for free here, and All Guns on Deck also for free here.
    I wonder if this is something that you might like more than me @fourteenwings

Dungeon Explorer II, Snatcher, R-Type, Lords of Thunder, Wonder Boy IV, and Beyond Shadowgate all look pretty cool. I have a version of Shadowgate for PC so I should play that actually. And same with Strider...where that boss fight with the catepillar in space(?) seems to remind me of Death's second phase in Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance.

(I already knew about Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and Ys I & II.)
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    Strider is a very cool game that nevertheless always seemed slightly awkward to me, both the arcade and Genesis versions anyway.

I think it's widely accepted that Death in HoD is an homage to the first boss in Strider.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I wonder if this is something that you might like more than me @fourteenwings

It's okay but I basically never want to hear it again.

I've played a couple of hours of Ever Oasis and I'm starting to think that even though my main reason for not really playing video games has been "No 3DS" or "No extra cash" or "I forgot" maybe I like... accidentally actually stopped being a video game person.

I'm going to try and finish it anyways, but I really liked the calm Oasis building bits and the combat part is either really lacking or I just am not up for that sort of thing anymore.
  • edited 2017-09-18 16:41:28
    Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: The Pumpkin King is a metroidvania 2D platformer for GBA. It features a side-story starring Jack Skellington as the protagonist and Oogie Boogie as the villain.

Its soundtrack, of which a "gamerip" (i.e. directly recording from the game) has been made, but not a proper gsf rip, contains a number of tracks from the associated movie, arranged for the game's sound engine, including (among others) "This Is Halloween", "Jack's Lament" (albeit a shorter version), "Christmas Eve Montage", and a remix of Oogie Boogie's song to serve as his theme track. While the tracks may be a bit underwhelming to people who are used to the original instrumentation, I find them reasonably respectable, as someone who played the game before listening to the originals, and I am especially of its arrangement of "Jack's Lament", short as it is. The soundtrack also probably contains some original tracks.

(As far as "short" goes, nothing really beats the use of "What's This?" -- even though the in-game version is shorter than the whole song, it's used in-game for an invincibility powerup that lasts all of several seconds, which drastically underrepresents even the in-game music version.)

The game also has some neat visual cues that seem to be drawn from the movie, such as the save point pumpkin-king mannequin turning and the the curled hill in an uncurled state (unfortunately it doesn't uncurl on-screen).

Another interesting feature of this game is that it's actually a double-layer metroidvania, -- it has doors/gates that go between a "frontside" and a "backside", but unlike games like Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, which simply layer one side on the other and give the player the same perspective to both, it actually reverses direction between the two, if I recall correctly, so going left in one leads you to a connection that you'd get to in the other side by going right. I think this is a neat idea.

If I remember right, the Graveyard -- a long, large, and complex area, which is probably why I remember "Jack's Lament" the most since it's the music here -- serves as a big chunk of the "backside". And while it did sometimes feel a little tedious (though mainly due to the controls and map design making some overuse of Jack's somewhat-lengthy climb-onto-a-platform animation), overall I find this design interesting -- being "dropped into" a mid-game area with no way out for a while, and really having to and being able to get one's bearings on one's own rather than through the careful guidance of the early parts of a game. This is similar to how Super Metroid locks the player in lower Brinstar a little while after they have some time to familiarize themselves with the mechanics.
  • edited 2017-09-19 06:33:47
    Started playing 200% Mixed Juice.

seems like here's the elemental strategy?

COLOR - UNIT TYPE - ATTACK TYPE
    red - power - close combat
    green - technique - bullet rain
    blue - speed - single hit

blue beats green
    green beats red
    red beats blue?
  • edited 2017-09-20 08:54:09

Finally, a Mimori meguca.

I hope Aoi punches her. Even though that wouldn't make much sense.
    A bunch of Super Mario 64 Online YouTube videos got taken down by Nintendo and so did the Patreon for the mod's creator. Everyone's waiting for the other shoe (an actual C&D) to drop, of course.
    I listened to a few tracks from M2SR, including what I think is the equivalent "Chozo temple" track.

M2 version: strangely vivid, rhythmically unstable.
    AM2R version: smooth and ambient.
    M2SR version: mysterious and ambient.

Three very different feels.

Neither of the latter two recapture the feel of the original, I think. But I'll have to play M2SR to know for sure.

Seems like Kenji Yamamoto might have done the soundtrack again though. It's got a Metroid Prime sound to it in terms of instrumentation, effects, etc..

I honestly kinda prefer the aural aesthetic of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion...
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I am keeping myself relatively unspoiled about M2SR even though there's no way I'll play it for years, most likely

• Considering the need for named attacks I'm surprised they didn't just give her Rosso Fantasma again. Though this it at least based on something from the anime.
  • "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    Free game alert: to mark its 20th anniversary, the original Fallout is free on Steam until Sunday. Not a series I ever got into, but maybe some of y'all might be interested.
  • Ahhh, thanks!

It's not a game I could get into, either, I gave it a try ages ago but got lost in the huge sandbox it is. I think I'll give it another chance. This time I know not to take the Berserker perk.
    I already picked it up on GOG, but that's still good to know; I'll tell other friends, including one whom I know is a bigger fan of Fallout than I am (having actually played them unlike me).

Thanks for the heads-up!
  • Unlike all the other free games I've gotten, I actually started playing Fallout. I think I'm getting the hang of it. That newbie unfriendlyness tho, I don't usually do it in single-player games but I'm resorting to looking up stuff on the 'net on the go.

I'm going (or at least I think I'm going) with an agile gunner kind of guy, I just rescued the daughter of that town place's elder from the raiders (by killing them all) and now I'm stuck again, but at least I'm better geared now and no longer managing everything in detail just to not die.
    Y'know, problem with Earthbound is if you know how its final boss works that greatly reduces its impact on you.