If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    People shapes burned into surfaces after the bomb fell.
  • The outlines of objects, and people, permanently etched onto surfaces during the nuclear bombing of Hirosima (and Nagasaki).

Pictures.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    oh yeah, that is creepy.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Presumably those terrifying imprints left over by people who were just like, living life when the nuclear bombs went off.
  • I know, right?

I've been reading a lot about the bombing of Hiroshima. I'm not religious, but if I suddenly saw a burning, blinding light, lost consciousness, woke up badly burnt and beaten in a fiery wasteland full of blackened corpses and other charred people, some of whom walk like zombies, and didn't already know about nuclear strikes, I would believe that I died and went to hell.
  • Awmaigah, why did nobody tell me about Mechanical Turk earlier (tl;dr place to slave away doing transcripts, surveys etc. for Amazon money)
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    ^ So how does that work?
  • edited 2017-09-21 06:59:37
    You get in using an Amazon account (it's an Amazon thing) and filling in some tax information (for those of us outside the US it's straightforward). People who need stuff like data entry or image recognizion done for dirt cheap set up a page so that things can be typed in, and set up a reward, miscellaneous options, etc, all this called a Human Intelligence Task (HIT, i.e. artificial intelligence except human). Us third worlders then find HITs we can do, do it and submit it, the requester then reviews it and see if they pay us (I dunno how it's usually done, but I haven't had any work rejected so far), then the money is on our account and we can then transfer it to Amazon (or your bank account if you live in the US or India).

It works on a reputation system (how many works you've done, % of rejected works, etc.) and supposedly after a while you get works paying about $6/hour of work. Yesterday as a n00b I did work for 0.6 $/hour, which is already extremely good for me.

I haven't transfered anything yet since new users can't. If this thing has a drawback, it's probably there.

Edit: It seems joining in is not as straightforward as I had thought. I had no problem due to having a good Amazon history, but entry requires a reviewing process and turns out it's selective.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    So THAT's the thing you do when you're a rogue AI with nothing but an internet connection and a need for cash! :o
  • edited 2017-09-19 16:18:19
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    meanwhile, Florida Man posts disgusting news onto small internet forum populated mainly by ex-tropers

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/12/550465000/behold-the-fatberg-london-s-130-ton-rock-solid-sewer-blockage
    Next time we're gonna hear about them alligators.
  • edited 2017-09-19 17:02:33
    lrdgck wrote: »
    Next time we're gonna hear about them alligators.

Do not dare Florida Man to find stories involving Florida Men and alligators on the internet.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/florida-man-bit-by-an-alligator-while-diving-for-golf-balls-at-country-club/
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-man-allegedly-stabs-alligator-to-death-tries-to-sell-the-meat/
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/25/alligator-ate-toes-off-florida-man-who-bathed-in-pond-report-says.html
    This is all within one month.

That said, this very NSFW story turns out to be false (though its source is still NSFW): http://www.snopes.com/man-arrested-for-alligator-sex/

Meanwhile Florida Man has discovered that throwing an alligator through a drive-through window counts as "assault with a deadly weapon": https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/02/09/assault-with-a-deadly-weapon-florida-man-charged-with-throwing-live-alligator-into-wendys/
  • "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    Florida, man.
    throwing an alligator through a drive-through window counts as "assault with a deadly weapon"

The Alligator League Against Defamation objects to this... objectification.
    So I was all sad about Amuro Namie but then a random British TV station decided the only way to make a TV show anymore is naked muscle instabros (I am 100% sure this phrase has appeared in more than one spam e-mail/dodgy google ad I have gotten/seen) pretending to be gladiators.

It's even called Bromans, because life is terrible beautiful.
  • edited 2017-09-22 03:13:20
    meanwhile, Florida Man posts disgusting news onto small internet forum populated mainly by ex-tropers

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/12/550465000/behold-the-fatberg-london-s-130-ton-rock-solid-sewer-blockage

One of my civil engineering professors, a former sanitary engineer, once told me the story of one of his coworkers' attempting to unblock a sewer line without proper tools.

The good news is that said coworker did not drown in raw sewage.

The hilarious news is that said coworker now has to live the rest of his life with people telling the story of how he nearly drowned in raw sewage.
  • edited 2017-09-22 15:36:58
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Ever since I started watching Degrassi - Next Class, I've wanted to make some sort of video featuring clips from it with the song HIGH SCHOOL from Fukumenkei Noise, because it felt like a really obvious combination.

So after getting Cyberlink PowerDirector, I decided before trying to make any of my own stop-motion projects and just to get the hang of it in general, I'd finally get around to making it.

It took, collectively, like... six hours overall, which is probably embarrassingly slow for something that is 1:30m in total. Though of course traversing through five episodes for footage and whilst figuring out what the differences between Creating Scenes, Magic Cuts and Splits were and then actually pasting the clips* together in a sensible way was genuinely hard.

*also the clips/scenes do not have names, they have aliases, why is that a thing they needed to change.

Here it is. I still have a ways to go with this, but it's a good first attempt.

I will post it once Vimeo's queue clears up because apparently that is also a thing now.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    the creative process is really frustratingly slow for basically anything
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I got a haircut today.
    pics or it didn't happen

(...I mean, it's nice.)
  • I've been sleeping much less lately. I guess I'm going to sleep now.
    That sounds annoying. Hope it all works out for you.

It seems the big trends in fashion* right now are white shirts in all shapes and sizes that have exclusively black prints on them (in every style imaginable) and... sadly, ripped jeans being super back in.

*at least in streetwear, hipsteur OOTD and such

Also if I ever see another (knockoff?) Gucci "Green-Red-Green" stripe on literally anything I'll reinsitute Massie's "Terrible fashion item=punching someone next to you, no punchbacks" thing from The Clique and you'll all be my victims.

Giant dragonfly prints will also be fair game.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    fashion is serious business
  • edited 2017-09-25 04:02:57
    okay, so

apparently i accidentally found L&O SVU's "gamergate episode"

(FYI it's S16E14, titled "Intimidation Game")

this plot premise was used with a domestic terrorist / major case premise, and honestly it felt a little ehh...i mean, it's certainly possible, but just not very plausible. this particular motive premise would probably have been better paired with a small-scale personal vendetta crime plot type, rather than this larger-scale crime premise, imo.

(also would it probably have been better as a Criminal Intent case because high-profile company => Major Case Squad? hell, someone even mentions in mid-episode that this seems a little out of SVU turf)

overall the episode was okay, around average or a little below average as far as L&O episodes go, a little cringe-inducing at times -- which isn't exactly unique, especially amongst SVU episodes, which can sometimes do drama a bit poorly -- though a large part of the cringing feeling actually arose from the repeated breaks in the dialogue to explain terminology (which, amusingly, the episode lampshades itself about, because Benson just basically flat out tells Carisi at one point that she already gets it, indicating that he's overexplaining).

anyway, not an episode i'd readily recommend to people but hardly a unique opinion in this regard.

at least it didn't involve even more main-cast character drama hahaha
  • edited 2017-09-25 13:50:28
    ^^^ Ahh, thanks for caring, but I should perhaps add that much of that lack of sleep is not insomnia or anything (AFAIK) as much as not feeling like going to bed.

Speaking of which, I'm going to sleep.
  • ^^ The other videogame related episode was eyeroll worthy enough, but hey,
    it caused this video which I intend to post whenever this comes up.
  • edited 2017-09-25 19:28:20
    So we have this pencil sharpener. It looks fancy -- it has its own metal container with a screw-on top, so you don't have the pencil shards?filings?scraps? going everywhere.

Except the pencil sharpener itself is crap. Keeps on breaking the lead. Maybe it's just been in use for too many years and is worn out?

Anyway so I didn't really have another better pencil sharpener so I went and found the next best options: a few toy model plays with pencil sharpeners embedded in them.

To my surprise, the first one I tried worked very, very well as a pencil sharpener. Beautifully well -- I was getting continuous peels off of even the supposedly crappy pencil, using this little USAF F-15 toy.

Ironically, the plane model part of this thing doesn't work well -- the front wheels don't even rotate properly without getting stuck.
  • edited 2017-09-25 22:49:41
    ^^ The other videogame related episode was eyeroll worthy enough, but hey,
    it caused this video which I intend to post whenever this comes up.

lol @ video

though I probably won't recognize most of the games there since I haven't played many FPSes, though obviously not all of them are FPSes. I did notice TF2, Valkyria Chronicles, Doom, and Kerbal Space Program at least, at first glance.

Incidentally, the fictional game in that episode, Kill Or Be Slaughtered, looks way too low-tech, unless they were trying to base it on Doom itself. They should have picked something that looks akin to Call of Duty or CS:GO, though I guess that might have required more modeling on the part of the real-life animators who'd be tasked with doing those gameplay mockups.

----

Anyhow, I was just thinking, here's a better idea of how to do that plot, and keep the political spiciness while making it more plausible:

So, first, we change this into a CI plot. So now we can have the confusing cold opener rather than the relevant cold opener.

We start with people at a gaming tourney playing what looks like a really violent video game. Meanwhile, cut to a scene showing that same game dev lady, with her VC husband both working hard on the launch of their new game. Have them make some comments about haters. Cut back to the tourney, people are bad mouthing the game, and maybe have a big argument between haters on one side and its fans and the people who are there trying to promote the new game -- let's give it some sort of nonviolence thing, like in the show how the game made a prominent point that you had mechanisms for succeeding without using violence even though you could still choose violence. Meanwhile, cut out that other random game dev girl, or make her an intermediary victim when the big argument goes wrong and gets violent. Or maybe make her a fan who we find out later was actually mistaken for an SJW game dev only because she had dyed hair, or something.

Before and after this argument that turns violent in meatspace, show some clips of comments on the internet, like forum posts (DO NOT SHOW PEOPLE REMOTELY TYPING OUT CHAT MESSAGES LETTER BY LETTER, BECAUSE THAT'S NOT HOW CHAT PROGRAMS WORK IN REAL LIFE.), with really vile insults, mainly coming from haters.

And then at the end of the cold open, the game launches in a big convention hall at that gaming tourney, and then the game dev lady is abducted.

So, in classic CI fashion, we have Obvious Suspects, which is a giant pile of haters online and offline. Now, in classic CI fashion, what we can do is to actually sort out why Obvious Suspects are or are not part of what actually happened, and multiple plot resolutions are possible at this point:
    * Obvious Suspects actually were responsible. Not a typical CI thing though because this'd be too easy and boring.
    * Obvious Suspects aren't to blame and it's actually completely irrelevant to the whole gaming business, because some jealous lover or such just took advantage of the situation.
    * Obvious Suspects were played by a business competitor who wants her out of the business. Obvious Suspects are an unwitting but convenient pawn.
    * A variant on the above, it's somehow her husband's fault, say because he actually wanted her out but she was just really determined to do this so he went along with it and sabotaged it. Not very plausible but I think I've seen a few CI plots like this.

Anyhow, since you've started with the abduction, you also have a high-tension high-anxiety investigation scenario that lasts you like a third or half of the episode. Then you can top it off by either rescuing her (and then subjecting her to more vile comments on the internet) or having her murdered and the case takes a turn for the worse, and at that point the police finally get a chance to sit down and sift through whether and how exactly Obvious Suspects were involved and then chase leads until they get to the plot resolution.

Bonus points if you have Goren doing awkward impressions of obnoxious drunk-on-testosterone teenagers while nailing them to the wall with his mind games.
  • edited 2017-09-27 01:11:47
    though I probably won't recognize most of the games there since I haven't played many FPSes, though obviously not all of them are FPSes. I did notice TF2, Valkyria Chronicles, Doom, and Kerbal Space Program at least, at first glance.

I can't remember how many I recognised the first time I saw it, but it wasn't many.

Looking at it one by one I recognise Mirror's Edge, Demon/Dark Souls, Half-Life 2*, Team Fortress 2, World of Warcraft, Doom, Wolfenstein, GoldenEye, the X-Box achievement window, Microsoft Publisher I guess, Dota 2, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, Bioshock 2, Duke Nukem 3D, one of the Command & Conquer games, Counterstrike, I think Counterstrike again, that game with the cool-looking 3D comic style whose name escapes me, Touhou, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Runescape, Duke Nukem 3D again, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Ball Z, one of the Elder Scroll games, Minecraft, Fallout, Hatred**, Valkyria Chronicles and the next one is probably one of the sim games.

*Actually, I just recognized the gravity gun.

**Not so much "recognised" as "read it on the screen".

Edit: It's never too late to fix spelling.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I tried making a list but then I got distracted halfway through and I don't feel like doing it again. oh well