If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well at least that's first-hand evidence that they really are idiots.
  • Weebism is should not be encouraged but I'm beyond glad I'm not the only person who does this.

Yah. I was thinking about making a waifu joke but that's the best I could come up with.
    I know what a water meter is, I've just never heard of one getting stolen before.

Me neither, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Apparently back when an uncle lived here he installed another inlet, which is of course dubious but I guess this means we do still have water, which is good because the waterworks company is godawful and it takes them ages to get stuff fixed.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Since we were talking about kind of just spinning our wheels in school earlier, I'm kind of fascinated that a lot of the young cast of my #1 favorite Canadian teen drama The Next Step have a tendency to come back even when they're written out of the show.

Now in it's fifth season with a whole crop of new kids, the leaders from seasons past have returned (albeit to be Studio Heads and Choreographers rather than featured dancers). That's a heavy contrast from American TV shows, where once Hannah Montana or whatever was over, the stars ran as far away as possible from that image as they could.

Then again, Raven Symonne is That's So Raven again, so anything's possible.

Unrelatedly, I can't decide if my default should be T-shirts with faux old-style magazine covers on them or the billions upon billions of variations the polo shirt now has.

I don't want to look too formal, even though I'm at work a significant amount of time now in a formal-ish setting (boss isn't too concerned with dress codes, as per the crocs he sports 100% of the time), but T-shirts seem more juvenile.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    While eating a watermelon it came to me to ask you guys a question. The Internet tells me that eating watermelons is stereotypically an African American thing. My question is, if I admitted on Tumblr to eating a watermelon, would it arouse the ire of SJWs? Not the sensible part of the social justice crowd, mind you, but the crazies. Do you think that, acknowledging there is no level of stupid that you could call "too stupid for anyone", I could be justified in expecting someone to complain?

Also, I made a Cajun ham-and-beans stew. Came out fine, but I think I made an error in the choice of meal; too warm outside, should have gone with the classic macaroni and strawberries.

Also. ^ How did it end with the T-shirt problem?
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I ate watermelon the other day. Tumblr can fuck off
  • Watermelon juice is best juice, and watermelons are the second best fruit after bananas.

Also, an appartment building near home had loads of water leaking from where their water meter is supposed to be. I couldn't tell if it was missing but I wouldn't be surprised if it was stolen too.
    I don't think anyone would much care if you at a watermelon, unless you made a point about the racial association yourself.

If it's just you enjoying watermelon...I mean, friggin' hell, everyone enjoys watermelon.
    How did it end with the T-shirt problem?

Right now I'm leaning towards Polos, because they've got through quite the evolution the past couple of years and also it means buying new clothes.

T-shirts are fun and all, but it's time for something new.
  • Someone broke into home this morning, he was stealing a ladder but my mother found him and drove him away (which must've been dangerous). We're going to install some security stuff that our uncle got but never got around to implement.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    That's scary.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Tell me please your uncle is one of those wacky-wannabe-inventor-uncle types and it's a homemade boobytrap system.

Also, stealing a ladder? I'd have expected a robber to aim for money and electronics. This sounds like it's the "I could use X right now, but I won't bother myself with actually buying it" type of theft. Which is not so much professional crime but societal rot, which is in some ways better and worse in others. Like it was with lightbulbs in elevators/lifts around here (luckily not so much nowadays).
  • It looks like something you can buy at a store. He's something of a craftyman, though.

Ladders are reasonably expensive though. But I'm guessing that burglar broke in without having something specific in mind to steal and found that ladder (it was outside).

But as for extraordinary thievery, someone(s?) stole a water pump at work. It was in a metal cage in gated alleyway. They had to cut up said cage and break down some concrete flooring to remove it, and somehow they did so without making too much noise.

Also someone stole a fire extinguisher there as well a week ago.

As for societal rot, I guess it's not worse than stealing power/phone line cables, sewage covers or the water meters and trash bags I've mentioned.
    This all sounds insane, but as long as you're hanging in there, I guess.
    Speaking of societal rot...@lrdgck I hear that the president of Poland just vetoed something that would have basically been a disaster as far as good sense goes? Though apparently the right-wingers of one sort or another still have control over a whole bunch of shit there?
    It can take time.

First, there's Snoke. He's a guy who doesn't ever show up all that much, but everyone knows he pulls the strings. Apparently, he has a vision, and he's capable of playing the long game to see it come to fruition. Or it's all bollocks, sure - an old man and his issues. But if it is, you would never know it for sure.

And there's the First Order. They believe they see everything clearly, they were wronged, they know how things should be run, everyone is out to get them, so on.

Then finally, there's Kylo Ren. A nice kid overally, who really wants to be a real bad dude. Deep inside, he knows he isn't evil enough to have the stomach for it, and that really grinds his gears.

So, in their revolutionary zeal, the current government decided to take on the courts. Started with the constitution court, then went on to the supreme court, then like courts in general. Said it's to clean up the corruption, but it's a justified suspicion that they just wanted to make the courts not interfere with whatever they might be up to in the future.

As the matter was discussed in the parliament, there were quite massive protests, along with calls specifically to the prezzie to veto the bills (for the CC, for the SC, and for the district courts). Star Wars references aside, the prezzie had long been sidelined by his own party - despite being de jure the most important state official - in ways that have recently become simply petty.

Apparently, this - in whichever proportions - drove him first to speak out against the project, then to veto two of the three bills. This is still the cause for some concern, as the remaining bill still gives the ministry of justice greater power over lower-level courts, but the move was widely regarded as him showing some guts.

Needless to say, this pleased the opposition, but baffled the rest of the gov't camp, for whom the court bills were a flagship project. This led to some weird stuff, like the public TV (taken over completely by gov't cronies, blackshirts, and suckers-up-to) airing two live speeches, first for the prime minister (with not-so-veiled jabs at the prezzie) and the second for the president, while the privately-owned stations did also air the prezzie, but simultaneously with the PM on public.

----

tl;dr things were simpler with the former gov't, they were just a bunch of incompetent thieving opportunists.
  • edited 2017-08-17 03:06:46
    This all sounds insane, but as long as you're hanging in there, I guess.

Ahh, thank you. I think I'll be fine, but I wish I knew if it's ever going to get better.

^ They must be pissed. (more like PiSed amirite?)
    There was once an article about animation for grown-ups, written back in the 90s, probably in the Sun-Sentinel (a south Florida newspaper). Barbra Streisand was mentioned in their brief description of South Park.

They also had a picture of this other show, which looked kinda anime-ish, featured a male(?) character with darker hair, and a yellow background. I don't remember what show it's called, even though I do remember I came up with the beginning of a piece of music inspired just by looking at it, somehow. Whoever helps me figure out what this show is may be gifted with a Steam game or something like that in return, because this is probably difficult to figure out.
    Right now, I'm obsessed with Sakroots backpacks. I really don't need any new bags, but these are ridiculously amazing.

inb4 "your cultural appropriation is showing"
    I hate (not really) to post about backpacks twice in a row, but in the last episode of Famous in Love, Bella Thorne's character has a heritage Berkley backpack by The North Face.

I wonder if this is a covert ad or I just noticed it because I've been looking up backpacks lately.

It seems like quite the costly backpack to just use for like one or two scenes on a TV show, but what do I know.
    Is it just me or does that look pretty generic as far as backpacks go?
    I'm proud of myself, just made quesadillas. Or at least, something that was supposed to be quesadillas. Regardless, it functioned more-or-less as expected.
  • I forgot about the solar eclipse. I wonder if I can still get protection glasses (I haven't seen them being sold anywhere yet), otherwise I'll have to settle with it being darker than it usually is, although I can console myself that it would be partial (45% coverage here). I remember the 90s one (total), t'was cool.

Also, without thinking about it I just double-checked that it would happen during daytime.
    Is it just me or does that look pretty generic as far as backpacks go?

I guess, but you could see the tag and everything.
    how to watch an eclipse:

1. bowl of soy sauce (or other dark, reflective liquid)

2. two pairs of sunglasses
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I have chocolate chip cookies.
    If it seems like my posting around here was sort-of-infrequent the past few days, it was because I was binge watching Degrassi - Next Class like my life depended on it.

to be fair it might've
  • edited 2017-08-27 16:50:00
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    How to know you're in a south Florida mall: in the food court, the Chinese place is run by Latinos, while the Latin place is run by Chinese folks.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    How to know you're in Pennsylvania: every 500 feet there's a nail salon run by Asian people.

Unless it's like that everywhere and I just don't know it
    I dunno about nail salons but I know that Vietnamese-run barbershops are common in northern Virginia.