If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Plastic Memories ep 3 has a somewhat annoying running romcom gag.
    On the other hand, Plastic Memories ep 4 actually made me tear up.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I've been thinking about what type of anime I watch, and why. This is probably because I was extremely indecisive this cour about what I was going to stick with.

The biggest thing in anime for me right now is probably Aikatsu Stars!, and Aikatsu! as a whole has kind of just been in my life for years. I'm pretty obsessed. I try to watch other kid's stuff whenever a flight of fancy takes me, but nothing has stuck since Buddyfight, which I watched for two years before DDD ruined it basically.

As for right now, there's ID-0, which I see a lot of promise in and I enjoy it's aesthetics and concepts. There isn't too much to say, but the characters are something I could easily say I couldn't forget about just like that, which isn't the case a lot of the time.

Fukumenkei Noise had a very strong first two episodes, though some might say "strong" is the wrong word to use. It was melodramatic as a shoujo anime could be, and it drove from plot point to plot point at like two hundred kilometres an hour. When episode 3 slowed down, I got worried, definitely, because it started exposing the flaws more than hastily patching over them whilst going on it's merry, destructive way. Most of all, I'm concerned about Yuzu's characterization in "owning" Nino.

I really liked that Nino was able to set almost all of the plot in motion by herself in the third episode, and I also really like the themes this show has, despite it's flaws. They're things I can get behind; the main characters are all "rebels" in one way or another, imperfect and flawed and broken inside, which I enjoy (oh that sounds just wonderful). Nino is told her singing voice is pretty bad, but it's confirmed that people find it captivating, and that she has her niche.

I never, ever thought that the last serious show on my list would be Seikaisuru Kado. After the 0th and first episodes, I was ready to write it off as a mess of congratulatory pats-on-the-back from every staff member to the next, but then I watched episode two and I realized it wasn't just that, it was incredibly insane.

Merit-wise, it's very lacking, but direction-wise, it's mind-bogglingly strange and the contrivances that continue to happen, plus the reason for them and why most of the characters even end up acting the way they do, is fun as heck. It's like an exercise in really anime things, except they think they can get away with it because the main cast is older than 30.

There's really something strangely cathartic about writing stuff out like this, especially when you know you've made the right decision but don't have the time to really take stock of it all.

I've been trying for the lasy couple of week to figure out if I want to watch StarMyu 2nd Season or not, or whether that's a genuine step-back on my part. At one point, I was justifying it as "I'll just enjoy it the way people enjoy LN anime". There's also Revue coming up from Bushiroad and I've been thinking that if I don't watch StarMyu, what would be the point in watching Revue?

I guess the truth is that I expect Revue to be good, and if it's not I'll quit. In the same vein, StarMyu was possibly good at one point, but it no longer is. I'm not sure I can enjoy the concept of boys in a musical school more than the actual show about boys in a musical school anymore.

Who knows, maybe if it's over after the second season and they don't announce more (which they will because how else does C-Station make money) I'll watch it all then.
  • edited 2017-05-04 04:40:20
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Plastic Memories is about androids that are ridiculously human because somehow technology has developed so that they have souls, but they also have fixed lifespans, and the main characters are in charge of retrieving them before their lifespan runs out which causes them to go nuts and become dangerous, requiring the use of drastic measures to subdue them.

Seems contrived, but this setup seems like an interesting way to metaphorically explore perspectives on the end of life and its social aspects/implications -- or, for that matter, how people deal with a major change in their lives, one involving losing someone close to them -- child, a parent, a friend, a lover.  This might be relatable to exploring how people deal with terminal illness or old age, as it affects themselves or someone close to them.

Not something I really expected to be the theme when I started this, but...then again, this isn't the sort of theme that's easy or comfortable to explore in the first place.

I'm 6 episodes in, out of 13.
  • edited 2017-05-07 10:40:20
    So apparently Re:Zero's first episode is a double-length special.

Anyway, its two lead characters were rather unimpressive for the first half or so.  It really seemed like ordinary guy self-insert with mystical beautiful fantasy girl who inexplicably falls in love with him despite insisting she hasn't.

But then the series premise kicked in and then it became more interesting.

Odd realization (spoiler):

Anyway...so this is a mystery story about being trapped in a fantasy world...I wonder if this is the story that I was hoping .hack//SIGN would be.

To its credit, the story, two episodes in, is what's captivating me most.  The main character looks a bit idiotic, and while the purple- silver-haired girl is cute, she's also not exactly all that appealing as a character, and I'm in love with neither OP nor ED (though ED seems kinda nice).
    speaking of anime, i updated my faves list for shows and characters, on MAL

fun fact: of the 10 series i faved, 8 have female protagonists
    fun fact: fo the 10 characters i faved, 9 are female

the exceptions are druaga (male protag) and eureka seven (male and female protags); and wilhelm schultz from allison & lillia

yes, that wil.  at only 15 member faves, he's the second-least-faved character of my faves.

if you've seen the first half of allison & lillia, you may be able to guess why.

(in case you're curious about the other stats: homura 12823, nanoha 1120, chihaya 647, ange 539, éclair 204, alisha 179, teana 42, fuuka 25, yukari 5)

might replace fuuka with someone else, not sure yet

other shows considered for faves: allison & lillia, atelier escha & logy, cross ange, beyond the boundary, haruhi, chaika, nanoha s1, lagrange, solty rei, vivid strike, zestiria
  • edited 2017-05-11 14:20:51
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Out of nine favorite shows, I have three shows with female protagonists (and AoKana is adaptation only). I bet if I had a favorite characters list at all, there'd be more female than male though.

I've always considered putting some form of Aikatsu! in my favorites, but I'm afraid nobody will ever take me seriously again as if they do now not sure if I should have nine entire favorite shows.

Aside from the ones on my list now, I considered putting Houkago no Pleiades on the list and it was on it for a while. When K was only one season, it was almost a shoo-in. Eureka Seven was on the list before AO. .hack//SIGN was on it a looong time ago. Gunslinger Stratos should be on it, but that would also lead to a lot of questions about my taste. AKB0048 might have before the second season, or maybe even after. Gatchaman CROWDS is mostly not there because people would assume I was an artsy pretentious person if it was. Hakkenden... no space for it, really.

Angelic Layer was on it once, so was SoltyRei. MahouIku would be on it if not for all the blood and gore... and finally there's just no space for Zetsuen no Tempest.
    is it just me or are there several "but people would have unfortunate social implications"

also i think i dropped g crowds because the lead character was rather irritating
  • But Hajime is the best and everything about her is perfect.
    DYRE wrote: »
    But Hajime is the best and everything about her is perfect.
    maybe I should try watching her in the original Japanese audio?
  • I think I'm less and less likely to consider any characters favorites since they feel more and more interchangeable over time.

Even when they're really not.
    I think my major problem is that a lot of my favorite characters right now come from the Eureka Seven franchise (and even then they're all almost from AO). I know "timey wimey ball changes lives" is super basic, but I cared about them all so much that those changes really got to me, especially Team Goldilocks. I basically cried all throughout their segment of Lord Don't Stop Me Now.

I never thought I'd feel that connected to characters ever again, but then NORN9 happened, and there's nothing that gets to me worse than lots and lots of angsty teenagers with tragic backstories living in an alternate history, I guess.

Otherwise, I feel that I can't love a show without loving a significant amount of it's characters, so it's taxing to pick out just one or two when a lot of them resonate with me.

I really liked episode 5 of Seikaisuru Kado. I don't believe this means it's suddenly risen to a new level of good with me, I think I just appreciate what it's doing more. It's not a perfect show, or a good one really, but it does bring an understanding of the issues (I might have been influenced by that Anime Now article a bit, or maybe it just helped me start noticing). I like how optimistic it is as well.

The main thing that really affected me was the twist at the end, because it didn't even hit me until three hours after I'd finished the episode. I mean, on a mental level I could acknowledge it as it happened, but from an emotional or even jovial standpoint, it really got to me way later.
    I sorta have faves from like every series I watch, in addition to all-time faves.

kinda want to write up a list except it'll just be really long lol

----

I haven't finished watching Plastic Memories but I just ran across this VN and it might be of interest.

http://playism-games.com/game/269/lucy-the-eternity-she-wished-for

Also there's a big sale on Playism's website there.  Bunch of games on sale.
    More fun trivial stats:

Of my ten listed fave anime series, I watched 5 of them dubbed into English and the other 5 with Japanese voicework.  6 of them have been dubbed, but apparently I watched Stratos 4 before knowing there was a dub.

Of my ten listed fave characters, I came to know 6 of them through Japanese voicework, and 4 through English (dub) voicework.
    I haven't watched any of the English dubs on anything currently on my favorites list.

I used to be a dub person though, until my interests in J-pop and seiyuu started to collide.

I've also watched one and a half seasons of Buddyfight dubbed, and I think I'll always remember that dub. 

Great now I want to watch the X dub.
  • edited 2017-05-15 22:04:58
    [03:08:14] [GMH> if anyone can help explain this to me, please do: i prefer animation, LN, and videogames, but not manga or VN
    [03:09:30] [GMH> i'm slightly more excited for VNs than manga, and i thin kthat's because they have color and music
    [03:09:50] [vil> animation and LN probably have the right amount of immersion for you
    [03:10:05] [GMH> actually, hmm......manga and VN both contain still visuals.
    [03:10:08] [vil> LN you can use your imagination to bring in visuals
    [03:10:33] [vil> idk about you but my LN imagination has moving visuals
    [03:10:42] [vil> so maybe lack of movement is the problem?
    [03:10:51] [GMH> i was about to say that LN doesn't have visuals, but...yeah, what you said.
    [03:11:02] [GMH> my imagination builds a dynamic world
    [03:11:10] [vil> yepp pretty much
  • edited 2017-05-15 15:28:23
    But LNs do have visuals. A few drawings per chapter is significantly more than regular prose media in that they regularly remind you how characters look like specifically rather than just focusing on a few traits that can be easily reiterated.
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    But LNs do have visuals. A few drawings per chapter is significantly more than regular prose media in that they regularly remind you how characters look like specifically rather than just focusing on a few traits that can be easily reiterated.

I was actually about to addrses that when I got ninja'd by the other guy and I just now realized that that chat log is parsed incorrectly since it takes out all the usernames as if they were HTML tags.  Let me go and edit it.  It's actually part of a conversation -- I'm not the only one talking in there.

Anyway yeah, LNs do have visuals, but they're far fewer than in manga, and don't don't try to directly communicate the action, instead just offering a few glimpses of it.
  • huh
    Credits for 6 insert songs this episode. What even is this show.
    It turns out a whole bunch of animators got into anime because they wanted to direct lots of anime music videos.
    My reply to Icon/Crystal showing me Digibro's "Why I dropped every anime I dropped" series.  Comments for selected shows.  Comments on other shows may be available on request.

AKB0048 - apparently he found the entire thing forgettable.  I guess he wasn't enamored by the music -- or by the impressively dramatic scene in episode 3, despite him having seen five episodes apparently.

Allison & Lillia - apparently he found the story and characters boring.  I will note that the show only really kicks in well after he stopped (episode 3).  The early eps I remember feeling a little lackluster.

Assassination Classroom - he seems to hate this show for the same reason as I do.

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm - "just a dumb fucking show".  Apparently covered in the "weebcast"?  Quite different from my impression.  I'd need more details to comment further on his opinion.

Dragonaut - I didn't know that this show shares a director with Dragonaut.  I'm inclined to agree with his opinion on this particular show, though I have no opinion on the director at this time.

Druaga - okay, I can understand being annoyed by the first episode, because I didn't really enjoy it much either, but I stuck with it and really, really appreciated my decision to do so.

Atelier Escha & Logy - I'm surprised he says this is "boring and slow".  I felt that the story went too _fast_, and would have benefitted from more worldbuilding revealing the setting and letting me get to know the characters better.  Granted, this is partly because I know that Atelier games aren't this short.  But I thought it was effective for what it did.

Time of Eve - I can see how this show can be hit-or-miss, though apparently he watched the movie instead of the show due to its slow release schedule...which isn't something I encountered since I watched it after it first released.

Fractale - Y'know, I can see how people might not like this, given that the story does seem to not serve a good sense of resolving things in satisfying ways.  Like Digibro says, it does pair a "Ghibli"-like aesthetic with things going wrong, sometimes in rather unsettling ways, but I think here's an example where my idea of viewing a story as its own universe succeeded -- instead of feeling a dissatisfaction with the story and its writing, I saw it as presenting a poetically flawed universe, specifically one that seemed like an analogue to Eureka Seven.  (The use of "Down by the Salley Gardens" as the ED also helped of course.)

Fruits Basket - I guess I'm watching it because I'm expecting Ritsuko Okazaki's music to frame a really heartwarming, really touching story about people and their relationships, and after watching him talk about his opinions I'm pretty sure Digibro isn't the kind of person (a sentimentalist, perhaps?) to be particularly drawn to this sort of story.

Guilty Crown - Digibro characterizes this as being "dumb as shit" and says it put Sawano on the map for his music.  He says that most people watch it "ironic[ally]" and for better or worse I went into this show knowing its reputation so I couldn't help but face some of that.  I did try to take it seriously (something I do with almost every show lol) and even then I can't say I enjoyed it, though I guess there were some nicer points in it and I can take a specific interpretation of the story's meaning that incorporates the idea of sin and making mistakes with one's life, though that doesn't exactly translate to enjoyment.

Chaika - I'm surprised he calls this "standard", since part of the draw of the series, in my opinion, is its dark fantasy setting, and a correspondingly darkly humorous approach to it.  He didn't mention this at all.

Karen Senki - he apparently watched this on "CrunchyRoulette" (guessing it was a sort of randomly-watch-something-on-CrunchyRoll thing) and didn't enjoy it.  No more elaboration available.  Well, it is "weird and CG animated", but that's not really...well, I don't know if there's anything more I can say lol.

Kiddy Grade - Apparently he saw the "last episode" but says it "ends in like an apocalypse or something".  Makes me wonder if he watched the last episode, or the pilot episode for Kiddy Grade 2.  He then goes on a tangent looking for the character designer, and says he really likes the character designs.  (Doesn't elaborate further on his opinion on the show, sadly.)

Angelic Layer - He doesn't seem to remember why he didn't find the show interesting, though to be fair, I've felt that its beginning is a bit hit-or-miss too, which is partly why I haven't gotten further in it.

Kyoukai no Kanata - "the most beautiful character designs of all time, and it's a horribly boring light novel action thing", causing boredom with long exposition scenes which would be "gorgeous to look at" but otherwise uninteresting.  Well I guess this one's up to taste -- I didn't expect to like it but I did because it drew me in with what I think are excellent character interactions and development as well as excellent sense of atmosphere.

Problem Children - I can see how Digibro would find the protagonists "insufferable".  The lead boy in particular is, though I'd disagree with the cat girl being such (and I don't even know why she counts as a 'problem child').  But I'm surprised I stuck with this show, too.  I found the plot premise stupid too.  Yet it was somehow entertaining enough for me to get something out of it.

Muv-Luv Alt TE: He highlights how Muv-Luv is all about "watching girls die" and being edgy, so I'm going to presume that that's what he dislikes about it?  I'd say that's true of the first two episodes, but less true later on, though for what it's worth I actually thought that that was the most effective part of the story.

Nodame Cantabile: it's on his on-hold list now.  He likes it.

Noir: he just hates Bee Train, he hates the slow pacing, and he also hates the artwork for some reason.

Plastic Memories: Seems like he partly liked this for the reason I did, but then lost interest due to the comedy aspects, which I agree are overdone but I felt that it was okay enough for me to keep going I guess.  I just sorta kept going.

Ragnarok the Animation: I agree it's mediocre, though I guess I just wanted a fantasy show in my life at the time and the cliffhangers somehow got me to keep watching so I marathoned the entire thing instead.  Dunno if it was better for him that he had a hard limit to stop due to only having volume one.

Lagrange: apparently this just wasn't quite entertaining to him, despite his wanting to like it based on the genre/premise.

Symphogear: "goofy ass shit", "dark, but also dumb".  Apparently he found Hibiki annoying and also felt the show was a "weird clusterfuck".  Well I can't exactly fault any of the stuff he says, though I guess I kept on watching hoping it'd slip in more serious drama.

Yukikaze: I found it boring and apparently he found it "trippy".

Squid Girl: He says it's not "consistently funny" and it "gets repetitive", while my reason for watching it really really slowly is mostly because I'm not often in the mood for comedy, despite my enjoying it.

Sky Girls: Knowing that he can't stand iyashikei (i.e. heartwarming stories) I can see why he finished Strike Witches while dropping this, and he confirms that he was always on the fence with this, and dropped it when drama kicked in, while I think of its heartwarmingness as one of its strengths.

Soukou no Strain: He does note the use of dramatic shock, but he doesn't remember why he dropped it other than simply not being into it.

The iDOLM@STER: Apparently he liked Miki and Makoto but wasn't interested in any of the other characters, while I was much more interested in the characters in general.

Stellvia: Apparently he enjoyed it but just didn't finish it.

Sands of Destruction: He doesn't remember why he dropped it.

Modern Magic Made Simple: it "had some charming aspects but just wasn't that good", no further elaboration.

YuYuYu: I'm not surprised he found this show slow, because it really is.

Leviathan the Last Defense: "just some dumb lame shit".  I guess I just enjoyed the generic fantasy setting and the main characters doing stuff enough, probably in a somewhat iyashikei way.
  • edited 2017-05-24 11:19:11
    First season of Symphogear is still one of very few magical girl things that I found actually hopeful/optimistic.
    I really did believe that Symphogear was a series built on the pillars of shounen kiaism, and Hibiki seemed to embody that, which is why I basically gave it all I really could as a fan.

After GX... I guess not?
    most people watch it "ironic[ally]"
    I can never believe somebody would watch all two cours ironically.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I watched it ironically, while airing. I was following an argentine blogger who would rip it to shreds every week.
    I meant "watching it after it's done (possibly years later) and knowing it never gets better".
    but how would you know it never gets better if you haven't watched it? you only know it probably doesn't get better but you can't know for sure
  • edited 2017-05-25 08:49:23
    May 24 05:40:22 [GMH>    shows i might add as a result of this exercise: The Twelve Kingdoms, KochinPa!, Kowabon, Mahou Shoujo? Naria Girls, Prince of Stride: Alternative, Argevollen, Matoi the Sacred Slayer, Speed Grapher, Tears to Tiara.

i forgot which ones are already on my list and i lost my MAL login and i am too tired to reset my password at the moment but whatever

specific reasons:
    * Twelve Kingdoms - because, based on digibro's description, i am curious whether i might enjoy it
    * KochinPa! - because it's very short
    * Kowabon - because it's short
    * Naria Girls - because it's short and I want to see which way the plot takes the premise
    * Prince of Stride - because it apparently involves parkour
    * Argevollen - because the cover looks cool
    * Matoi - because the cover is brilliantly colorful and the premise seems okay
    * Speed Grapher - because the cover looks cool
    * Tears to Tiara - because it's some fantasy RPG-ish stuff? and i like fantasy RPG-ish stuff

• * Naria Girls - because it's short and I want to see which way the plot takes the premise

Preeeeeeeeeeeeetty sure there is no plot at all, it's just a gdgd/tesagure type thing where the seiyuu adlib jokes that are vaguely themed around whatever the show is supposed to be about.
    Yeah they just talk about lots of stuff and then the magical parts happen for no real reason.
    Argevollen - because the cover looks cool
    I don't remember why but nobody liked Argevollen (so you probably will)
    Prince of Stride - because it apparently involves parkour
    GMH Takes On Otome Anime is something I have to see.

Turns out I already had Speed Grapher on my to-watch list.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/2qczq5/yuyuyu_spoilers_the_music_of_yuuki_yuuna_wa/

oh gosh i wish there were this detailed a thing for every anime series

i may need to revisit yuyuyu just because this page is too awesome

if only something like this existed for kiddy grade