If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Bovarian Mammarian
    It's OK. There will be other streams, I hope.
  • edited 2017-04-02 16:07:11
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    IJBM: a major Dota 2 tournament is called "The International".

The International...What?  The International Cupcake Bake-Sale?  The International Toilet-Flushing Contest?  The International Effort To Build A Bionic Bear?

Not to mention there's already a play, two movies, a golf tournament, and a number of political organizations already using that name, according to Wikipedia.  Of course, this doesn't excuse _their_ behavior either -- I'll excuse the play and movies, and the political organizations are usually not just "The International", so they get a pass.  But the golf tourney is also guilty.
  • Gravity Rush 2 and Tales of Berseria, great games, much love.
  • Re. Dota 2: they could have gone with a worse name, and I haven't really given it much thought since I first heard of it back in 2014.

Usually, this event has gotten me playing Dota again if I haven't been; you can get a lot of unique loot during the tournament. But my attention's on other stuff right now (WoW, as mentioned above, as well as Hearthstone getting another expansion before the end of the week), and I've been away from Dota for long enough that I'd need to get learn about the new meta, map changes, the two heroes they added since I was gone, etc. So I may pass this time around.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    If I ever make a game, it will feature a caterpillar that dances the letkiss.

----

@KilgoreTrout: Is Dota 2 or other Mobas really filled with the competitive uptight type or are there substantial scenes that are more laid-back and newbie-friendly?
  • If DotA 2 is anything like League of Legends:

• To answer you both, it really depends. I've been in games where I had no problems with anybody on the team, and others where at least one person was an asshole.

The game has also sometimes brought out the worst in me and had me yelling at people, which I am definitely not proud of. In some of those cases it was because I'd been telling somebody "Don't go there, they'll kill you...dude, you're still going over there, they are going to kill you, are you not listening to me?...Damn it! What did I just SAY?!"

Once I stopped playing ranked mode, I found that both myself and the people I teamed with were usually nicer to each other. I guess it depends on how much is at stake, and raising your ranked MMR to a non-embarrassing number is something people can end up caring way too much about, myself included. There have also been times when I've had a "charm", which works like this: "Hey player, we'll give you this thing that allows you to predict whether you'll win the match before it starts! If you predict correctly three times, you get cool cosmetics! But if you're wrong twice, then the thing gets destroyed!" If I've predicted a win, then I really don't want to lose, and it's the same with other people who get those.

I think it used to be worse, but it seems like Valve's report system successfully discouraged bad behaviour and made it less common. Sometimes in games where I've sucked somebody will tell everybody to report me just for that, but I guess the rest of the team didn't listen to them since I've never been penalized afterwards.

If I'd change one thing about the game to cut down on people getting impatient and turning on one another over a loss, I'd give teams the option to concede a match. Last time I played, they didn't have that, and this meant that if the other team outleveled you and bought items to make them unkillable, you'd just have to wait for them to destroy all your buildings before it ended. And that can take a maddeningly long time, even when they're way stronger than you. And you can't abandon the game, because doing that too many times penalizes you for it; they want to discourage people from leaving their teammates high and dry when the game is winnable.

My answer to the question "Is Dota 2 fun to play?" would be "It's immensely fun when you win and immensely not-fun when you lose." It helps if you have somebody experienced to help you learn everything you need to know, and it's good to play matches against bots to start with instead of against real people.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/208140/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_1#app_reviews_hash

The Endless Space Collection is just $1 on Steam for another two days.

Anyone got opinions on this game?
  • Normally being able to fly makes places seem/feel smaller, but in WoW's latest expansion Broken Isles seems even larger when seen from above rather than when feeling your way through the ground.

Also I just noticed the final boss of the Arcway dungeon is called Vandros.

Besides that, I wonder what the modern equivalent of glitching the game by pushing cartridge is.
  • edited 2017-04-26 19:53:42
    For the next 17 hours and change, https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/04/ars-gog-free-games-partnership/ will offer you a free GOG copy of the first The Witcher game.
    h/t to @Saigyouji (on another site) for pointing this out
    https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule
    The schedule for SGDQ is up!
    You can't stock up on gift copies of games on Steam anymore.

You also can't gift a Steam game to someone who doesn't already have a Steam account.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1301948399254001159
  • I might finally be burning out on Pokemon. After marathoning the entire series and catching hundreds upon hundreds of species. The games are way better than they have any right to be.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    Wobbuffet.
    I might finally be burning out on Pokemon. After marathoning the entire series and catching hundreds upon hundreds of species. The games are way better than they have any right to be.

Yeah, I sometimes wonder if I've never gotten sick of games the way some other people have (e.g. those people who say that they've played enough 2D platformers in their childhood and don't want any more) because I play games so slowly, heh.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Vandros que
  • edited 2017-05-05 15:19:43
    Consejero Vandros, la mano derecha de la Gran Magistrix Elisande y encargado de neutralizar la rebelión de los Caidos de la Noche, especialmente cuando estos intentan invadir el Bastión Nocturno a través de la Arquería. Obvio.

This dude:

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    LOOL
  • edited 2017-05-12 03:35:08
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dungeons-2

Dungeons 2 free Steam key from Humble Store for another day or so

^ also that is a really nice video.  i was afraid it'd be crappy campy stuff from the "Game Theory" folks, and while the title does take after them, the video is a lot more substantial and presented a lot less pretentiously.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I liked the one they did about Sonic music
  • edited 2017-05-12 05:02:02
    also big Playism sale going on for about two weeks right now

http://playism-games.com/
  • With this and the fighting game, Million Arthur looks like it'll continue being the most extensive take on Arthurian mythology with little info in English. The irony hurts.
  • edited 2017-05-12 20:18:34
    Stuff I'm picking up from Playism-Games.com: (note: i do already have a number of games there that I'm interested in, e.g. La-Mulana, Unholy Heights, Astebreed, Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, etc.)

Fairy Bloom (DRM-free only) for $0.99 (the game is PWYW starting at $0.99)
    Lume (DRM-free only) for $2.80 (-60%)
    Awareness Rooms (DRM-free + Steam) for $2.50 (-50%)
    They Bleed Pixels Game + Soundtrack Bundle (DRM-free + Steam) for $2.60 (-80%)
    Star Sky (DRM-free + Steam) for $0.75 (-75%)

It's also the Humble Spring Sale but I'm not buying anything there at the moment.

I did discover that Kero Blaster is on Humble Store though.  Also, Forward to the Sky is on -50% right now but it's gone deeper than that before.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    momomomomomomomomomomodora
  • edited 2017-05-13 22:23:27
    GOG has that same sale too.
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    GOG has that same sale too.
    Oh!  Then I'm definitely picking it up there.
  • edited 2017-05-16 04:15:18
    WHOA!  IT'S FINALLY ON SALE!  WOOHOO!

https://itch.io/s/6786/may-discount-60

I am DEFINITELY picking up Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus (previously known as Finding Teddy 2).  Been waiting for this to go on sale on itch.io for so long!

(The game is also on Steam.  But buying it here gives you DRM-free + Steam key!)