If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I guess? I dunno though; it's not like it really matters much unless you're specifically looking to expand your horizons, or not be socially pigeonholed or something.
  • edited 2016-02-24 02:25:41
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    So this Sega "Make War Not Love" sale had some free game giveaways on Steam including Gunstar Heroes and Jet Set Radio.

Thing is, each of the three sets of giveaways also generated a coupon -- a Steam item that can be traded to other people, and is applied if you buy the game it refers to.

And now I have three coupons:

-75% on Tembo the Badass Elephant
    -80% on Alpha Protocol
    -75% on Valkyria Chronicles

I don't know the first two and already have the third.  Any suggestions or takers?
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    If only I could take em

vandro wrote: »
    If only I could take em

I don't seem to have you added on Steam.  Add me?  steamcommunity.com/id/quintlindwurm
  • edited 2016-02-25 01:43:30
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Okay, I am xenosia.
  • edited 2016-02-25 02:54:22
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > Do You Like Horny Bunnies?

No, I don't, and not at that price, despite the inclusion of time travel.

(Given the inclusion of time travel, one could say that I don't, I have not, and I will not.)

That said, aside from the fact that I don't really want the contents enough to pay this much for the bundle, I do really commend JAST for releasing these VNs DRM-free.
  • In case I ever try to get into Fire Emblem, which game would be good to start with?
  • edited 2016-02-28 17:36:57
    Awakening seems like a pretty good starting point. It wasn't the first one I played, but it was the first I actually finished.

Starting with Fates is probably fine too; I assume the reason you're asking this question is at least partially because everyone is talking about it right now. Based on my understanding of how they differ, I would guess that Birthright is more forgiving to newcomers than Conquest. (Birthright is supposed to have more "straightforward" maps, and unlike Conquest it gives you the option to grind if you get stuck.) I haven't played Conquest yet, though, so I can't say from experience.

That said I am far from an expert on the series and couldn't tell you too much about the older games.
  • I assume the reason you're asking this question is at least partially because everyone is talking about it right now.

I'm asking 'cuz with the latest additions to Smash 4 Fire Emblem is now one of the series with the most characters, so I've getting curious on who all these sword people are. Thanks for the suggestions.

Although come to think of it, I did play the Super Robot Wars Touhou clone and didn't like the gameplay, so it might turn out I might not like Fire Emblem anyways.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-28 19:16:38
    Awakening is probably the best starting point, because its localization team was awesome and the characters jumped off the screen in a way the series didn't really pull off before that.  Honestly before that the characters were pretty flat with a handful of exceptions in each game.

Before it came out I would've recommended one of the GBA games.

Do not play on Hard for your first time in a Fire Emblem game.  Or at least turn on Casual mode.  The RNG hates you and will take every opportunity to gank people in stupid ways.
    > doing a gamer style survey

> "I take pleasure in other player’s misfortunes and loses."

Probably the statement I most strongly disagree with.
    I say Awakening is a good entry point(Lucina mah dohtah), Fates (Birthright specially) also works.
    Is Fates ridden with localization problems, as some people say it is?
  • From what I understand they cut a few of the more wtf parts like the waifu petting minigame, but as a translation it's about as solid as Awakening.
  • Is Fates ridden with localization problems, as some people say it is?
    If by localization "problems" you mean non-literal translations then yes. Personally I don't really care.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    ...waifu petting minigame?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-01 18:34:05
    That is (was) a thing, yes.  Because Japan.

If the translation problems come down to ditching this crap and making the dialogue smoother because people finally figured out that natural speaking syntax and ideas don't scan directly across languages, I'd call those the best problems the localization industry has ever seen.
    People complain about it being removed, but some days I wonder if it was even originally meant or was just added to pander to fans.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-01 18:35:38
    Japan seems to really like petting minigames in general.  Even Dream Drop Distance had one, though it wasn't PG-13 foreplay.

At least, I REALLY HOPE it wasn't foreplay >_>
    They did cut out one entire support convo. 
    vandro wrote: »
    They did cut out one entire support convo. 

What did it contain?

It was a discussion on how many people each character had killed in their careers as assassins and the toll it takes on you, if I'm not mistaken.
  • Aw, man.  See, I'm legitimately torn about that, because that sounds like it would have been a great convo, but this is amazing in its silliness too.
    I am not torn, this is blatant missing content which is context missing for the rest of the support line which was left unaltered, if I remember correctly, they replaced the lesbian S support's dialogue for the het equivalent S dialogue.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-02 06:58:44
    IIRC they left in the only lesbian S support they already had (totally-not-Tharja).  The one they took out (or said they were going to) was the super-creepy one where Soleil gets drugged and possibly converted, which I can't say I miss.
    I mean, Rajhat x Male Corrin and Rajhat x Female Corrin had entirly different S support dialogue in JP.

Soleil x Male Corrin B support (the magic powder incident mistook for gay conversion) is another thing entirely.
  • edited 2016-03-02 23:09:57
    The more I read what y'all post, the less Fire Emblem looks like being about battles and the more it looks like being about dating.
  • The more I read what y'all post, the less Fire Emblem looks like being about battles and the more it looks like being about dating.
    This is entirely accurate (for Awakening and Fates, not the old ones).
  • I've referred to Awakening as Shipping Simulator 2013 on more than one occasion...