If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (a.k.a. "FC" or "first chapter") -50% on GOG and Steam, current price $9.99

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC (a.k.a. "second chapter") just released GOG and Steam, current price $29.99

Play the first before the second, if you're new to the series. They're one story, just split into two games because it was too big for one.
  • >because it was too big for one.

So they're like 50 hour games, or do they take up 70 GB each, or what?
    The first one is about 40-50 hours long and the second is about 70-100 hours long.
  • The other day I had a real-life/internet dissonance moment when apparently none of my friends had heard of Splatoon.
  • edited 2015-11-09 05:21:52
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Discovery Queue!  Because it's a part of the new level 3 community badge on Steam now.

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
    This game is in your discovery queue because it is popular.

No.
    [Not Interested]

2. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3

No.
    [Not Interested]

3. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide
      Dangit, not again.
    Where's any gameplay footage in the first trailer?
    Anyway well at least this game doesn't offend my sensibilities and I could potentially see myself enjoying this.  It's probably pretty far down my to-get list though.  Not a huge fan of the first-person perspective TBH -- I don't hate it, I just that I don't really well with that, or the weapon-bobbing either.  But the premise is vaguely interesting I guess.
    [Next]

4. Anno 2205
      NOT AGAIN
    I remember being kinda interested in Anno 2070.
    First trailer is kinda lackluster.  Though I did notice that view of the globe at the end...is that a view of the Middle East and Central and South Asia in a world with major sea level rise?  That's interesting...
    I don't think I want this game yet.  Especially not at $59.99.  I've never actually played a civilization sim before (AoE doesn't count) and so I think I'd want something more lightweight anyway -- so it can run on my computer, too, for that matter.
    [Next]

5. War Thunder
      *sigh*
    First trailer is game updates.  I like that attention to historical detail.  Second trailer is really good.
    I'm turned off by it being free-to-play though.  I'm afraid it's gonna have a bunch of stupid microtransactions, and meanwhile I'm constantly feeling like I'm playing the game on some sort of trial period...and I don't wanna download a multi-gig thing just to try to see if I like it.  (And it probably won't run this beautifully on my computer anyway.)  As a military strategy game, it seems pretty interesting, but then I look at the gameplay and...wait, where's the gameplay footage?  It's just driving tanks and planes and stuff?  Oh.  So I guess it's not going to be so much about team strategy as it is going to be about individual player skill?
    In any case, the game looks gorgeous and historically interesting but I'm not in the mood for it.
    [Next]

6. Age of Empires II HD
    This game is in your discovery queue because it is on sale.

Now THIS is a game I want.  I know I want this.
    I'll throw it on my wishlist, but I am probably going to put it very low and wait to try to get it through GOG rather than have someone gift it to me.
    I'm no good at it, but it's still fun.
    [Add to my wishlist]
    Do note, though, if not for the fact that I've played this before (and this is basically my one and only exposure to the RTS genre), I probably wouldn't wishlist this game.

7. Savage Lands

Early Access, Survival, Open World?  Three nopes in a row.  Well I don't hate open world games specifically, but I just don't like survival in combination with open world.  It's like "I need a sandbox to dick around in because my life is too boring."  Well, that's exactly what I don't need right now.  I want an adventure to sweep me away, not a boring sandbox with no instructions.
    That said, let's take a look at the trailer.
    Hostile environmental survival fantasy.  PVP dickery potential.
    [Not Interested]

8. Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power

Amusing looking game.  Possibly fun fixed-camera 3D platforming/action, though I don't know how well it controls.  I might get Trine 1 first if I'm really all that interested, and I'm not at the moment.
    [Next]

9. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
      *facepalm*
    I've heard lots of great things about this game, but I'm sorry, I just don't like the gratuitously grotesque aesthetic style.
    [Not Interested]

10. Steam Controller
    This game is in your discovery queue because it is new on Steam.
      Well, it's certainly that, and it's not even a game.
    I don't use gamepads.  I like my keyboard.  I use it for everything -- even those games people say are better played with gamepad, like Guacamelee and Ys and various platformers.  If I wanted a living-room setup, I'd get myself a portable table or something.  And foldable tables are cheap.  And so are wireless keyboards.  But I don't have a living-room setup right now anyway.
    [Not Interested]

11. DiRT Rally
      no, shut up, get out
    This is an off-road racing game.  And it's also Early Access.  I'm just not sure whether I should hit Not Interested or just hit Next.
    Well, honestly I don't think I'd ever buy this.  It doesn't offend me; I'm just not interested.
    The trailers also don't really show me what the gameplay is like.  At least, I can't guess which ones are the gameplay footage.
    I'm not a car fanatic so the variety of vehicles (shown in the preview images) don't much appeal to me.  Come to think of it, they might actually be indicative of what the game is like.
    The one thing that I do like about what I see is that it might be an exciting first-person driving experience.  This kind of game I don't mind being first-person.  But given a price tag of $49.99 -- or even 15% off of that -- I really don't think I'll get much more than a few hours of enjoyment out of this, at most.  Maybe if they have a ton of tracks...but I see more emphasis on cars than tracks.
    [Not Interested]
    Sorry to throw you overboard, since you didn't offend me.  But I just am legitly not interested.

Also, that Original Curators Group reared its ugly head in the Curators section.  That group should have been shut down for massive fraud months ago.

12. Banished

This could be interesting.  It's like, the non-military part of Age of Empires.  Which I liked.  Though I liked it not in a strategy way but in an "aww I'm building stuff and this is so neat and cool ^_^" way.
    This game could potentially be interesting.
    A friend's review suggests that it's a relaxing experience, which gives it a plus in my book.
    I'm a little concerned how it handles nonrenewable resources.  Presumably it does it better than AoE does?
    Random thought of the moment: It would be interesting to see a game like Banished but set in a non-temperate biome.  A tropical biome, for example.
    Looking at the specs: It seems quite light on specs, and only takes up 250 MB of space.  I like this.
    I think I'm going to add it to my wishlist.  Congratulations, Steam, you finally made me interested in a game I hadn't yet considered before.
    [Add to my wishlist]
  • Almost everything it gave me was RPG Maker stuff.

Some of it looks...halfway decent?  But not $15 decent.
  • The helmet shots got a bit gratuitous, but otherwise it was pretty awesome.
  • edited 2015-11-09 21:51:57
    Yeah, it's great.

My only complaint is that Samus seems more nervous than I'd expect her to be.

Bee wrote: »
    Almost everything it gave me was RPG Maker stuff.

Some of it looks...halfway decent?  But not $15 decent.

Can I have your queue instead?  At least I would have more potentially interesting games to look at.

Or maybe I just haven't done my queue enough times...this was only my fourth batch.
  • ...wat

i mean

waaaaaat ._.
    Rogue Legacy is harder than I expected.
  • Rogue Legacy is really hard to the point that I don't think it's fun at all, really, plus RPGish character-building (sort-of) but in a way that seems to make it really hard to grind for stats, etc., it's just kind of really frustrating to play?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Skyborn was like the best RPGMAKER game I've seen out there so far.
    DYRE wrote: »
    Rogue Legacy is really hard to the point that I don't think it's fun at all, really, plus RPGish character-building (sort-of) but in a way that seems to make it really hard to grind for stats, etc., it's just kind of really frustrating to play?

I'm not sure if there's a character progression that happens simply with going through generations.  There might be, but it seems a bit on the slow side I guess.  Because basically every time I restart I have to go and play further to make bank on whatever I was trying to do.

Also, MP and HP recovery are very, very scarce.  HP especially.

On the other hand, the various trait effects are pretty amusing.
  • edited 2015-11-20 17:22:03
    So some funny shit has been going on on Steam over the past few days.  Funny as in amusing, at least in a meta way, and shit as in this deals with weird possibly-creepy shit and idiots on the internet reacting to it.

1. A game called Yohjo Simulator appeared on Steam.  The game appears to be basically Goat Simulator but with a little girl in a Japanese school gym uniform as the playable character.  You run around as her and basically fuck with the physics of everything.  Touch things with your hair to send them flying.  Send yourself flying.  Walk past a parade of dancing men who wear only briefs.  Contort this one hapless NPC's body and neck so he fails to sit in a chair properly, then fling his chair somewhere.  And so on.  Apparently at some point you can find the body of another little girl, in a school swimsuit, because there exists a screenshot of this.

In case anyone's wondering, no, I have not played this game.  Everything I know about how it plays comes from others' videos of the gameplay.

There's no indication of it being as well-developed as Goat Sim though -- like, Goat Sim at least has tasks suggesting where to take that wackiness.  Yohjo Sim, according to the videos I saw, has nothing like that.  According to the reviews I read, it basically is just a physics sandbox, with some possibilities of glitching oneself outside of the game's normal bounds.

The game quickly garnered a reputation for being pandering to pedophiles.  One of the more popular reviews simply called it "Goat Simulator for Pedophiles".  That said, I didn't see anything in the game that was explicitly sexual, or even sexualizing of the player-character or swimsuit girl NPC.  The commentary about it, though, certainly had innuendos and sex jokes flying every which way, because this is the internet.

2. I first got wind of this when one of my fellow group admins added this to the curation list of a Steam group I help run.  The group is J-Indie Arcade, which is a group whose curation list has the purpose of listing all the doujin (i.e. Japanese indie) games on Steam.  This game (if you can call it such) is technically an indie game, and it is Japanese in origin, so...yeah, it got listed -- though the listing did come with a caveat saying "Oh god no".  But it did spawn a lot of chatter amongst group admins and some members as to whether this game should be listed, and what our list should be about, etc..

3. Yohjo Sim, just now, got removed from the Steam store.  Not sure why yet.  But basically the commentary on this will be...let's just say "fun" in a chaotic and stupid way.  Because I think this pits the anti-{SJW/censorship/political-correctness} crowd against the anti-{anime/weeaboo/pedoshit} crowd.

Needless to say, I'm not fond of either crowd.

And I guess we didn't have to decide on whether to remove it, after all.  It's gone now anyway.

Edit: oh gosh it's still in the list (just no longer purchasable)
  • I didn't find rogue legacy particularly hard, just kind of grindy. You grind your way to the farming class, and then grind your way to the battle-wizard class, then you go and win the game.

Alternatively, you grind all the way to the dragon and abuse it.
    Update re Yohjo Simulator and the J-Indie Arcade curation list: It turns out that the page for the individual listing and the comments on it still exists -- which is why it's still getting comments from various dedicated arguers and such.  However, it is not longer in the curation list itself.  Presumably if the game ever gets reinstated it'll rejoin the list?

----

Just beat VVVVVV.

Trinkets found: Twenty
    Game Time: 3:32:13 (though I left the game running many times while I took breaks from difficult rooms)

Total flips: 4797
    Total deaths: 1418

Hardest room (with 221 deaths): Edge Games

Honestly, Edge Games is harder than the Veni, Vidi, Vici segment.  The latter may look more intimidating, but it's far easier to understand and strategize for after some practice.  It also has breather segments, like that one screen where all you do is drop up or down without moving.  Edge Games, on the other hand, doesn't give you much of a breather; you just do it all at once.

Pretty fun game.  The music is great.  The fast respawn time is also nice.

Also evidence of how great music can make something so much better.  I don't think I'd have enjoyed The Tower as much without its music, and I'm pretty sure the awesome music that played while I conquered Veni Vidi Vici was what kept me from raging at it and losing my calm.

Difficulty-wise, I'm not sure why people say this is an extremely hard game.  It's got some difficult segments, but if anything 100%ing main game is about on par with 100%ing Guacamelee -- probably even less difficult than that by a small margin.

(I usually count Guacamelee as right about the threshold of my willingness to tolerate irritating difficulty.  It's sort of a measure of "how frustrated does a game make me".)
    [08:45:22] http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2533630
    [08:45:23] [forums.steampowered.com] Indie Game Music Bundle #2 - Steam Users' Forums
    [08:45:44] so it turns out that if i had spent $5 more on the Game Music Bundle #2 back in 2012
    [08:45:57] i would have gotten the soundtrack to VVVVVV (it's called PPPPPP, for what it's worth)
    [08:46:19] and i'd also have gotten another Jake Kaufman soundtrack, mighty milky way

I'm kicking myself now.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭

TF2 got plenty of updates. Like around 30 so far. How many new weapons? Like 4. :/

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

Also evidence of how great music can make something so much better.  I don't think I'd have enjoyed The Tower as much without its music

Now go turn on Flip Mode and replay this section.

Wouldn't it be exactly the same?

And how does flip mode handle the intermissions?
  • edited 2015-11-24 00:02:32
    The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm
    The tower has a special flip to it (as does any place using the positive force music) :p
  • edited 2015-11-24 00:31:19
    The tower has a special flip to it (as does any place using the positive force music) :p

It's not just everything upside-down?

No wonder you were telling me to go play the tower first...

Wait...Positive Force...that also plays in the escape segment...hmm...
  • edited 2015-11-24 08:54:46
    The following is an achievement in Shan Gui on Steam:

OH LOOK! I'm Not Just Buying to Idle!
    To prove this, I clicked "Start Game".

Fuck you, Steam cards.

OH

OH

how did I not put two and two together when I discovered that thing on the OST
    I just dreamed of a videogame where you can put some really stupid long name in for yourself like IIIIIIIINTERNET GENIUS M9NSTER!!!!1111111 and if you do the game responds by having the NPCs say like one word at a time and intersperse their words ith "umm umm umm" continuously until you press a button to advance their dialogue to the next word. Oh and they cuss you out for having a stupid name too, but it gets scrolldd off quickly because umm umm umm umm umm umm umm umm umm umm
    So I've gotten to the end of Rogue Legacy.

The problem is the final boss.  Two phases, and very damaging.  Can't practice the second phase.  I can kite the first phase with some difficulty, by using dragon form, though I have to do my best not to get hit at all, because it's 2HKO.

So basically this just means, go grind the rest of the powerups and find the rest of the armor.

Incidentally, here's a case where there isn't really all that much justification for the final boss being all that much more powerful than the player-character.  I guess they just had some more hardcore playtesters or something.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I really like how Metal Gear Rising interprets some elements of swordplay. Attaching parries and beats to the primary attack button was a great idea -- it immediately provides players with a proactive mindset that also requires calculation and control of the fight. Borrowing the Fade Slash from Monster Hunter's Long Sword (a directional evasion with attached attack) nearly completes the cycle of mainline techniques. The only thing missing is the equivalent of a "Master Strike" -- an attack that parries and strikes on opponent in one unit of time. 

The whole Blade Mode element is a nice touch, too, but actually less relevant than the inclusion of techniques that combine defensive and offensive properties.