If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2015-06-14 06:29:03
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    It's been figured out how to get cards.

1. Play the game at all on that day.
    2. Reach level 10 in any game on that day.  NOTE: This requires REACHING level 10, not simply being higher leveled than it.  Best way to do this is to start a new game.
    3. Join a friend's game on that day.

Meanwhile, a Steam badge specifically related to this game seems to get more XP based on the highest level you've achieved.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    And now that I've made note of the rules regarding how the sales event minigame works, they've changed the rules.  For starters you can no longer join a game that's been active for more than 10 minutes.  And I started one game that beat level 10 and then joined another that also beat level 10 and neither of them have generated any cards.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know

I really was trying to hold off on a PS4 for as long as possible but this is almost beyond forcing my hand, SE.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Makes me feel the urge to crack lame jokes involving plot twists and spoilers.
    The trailer's (words) script...I am having trouble even stretching to make it match up to anything that's actually in the game.  It's basically made to sound like a trailer about something else then turn out to be about the fanbase's journey of waiting for an FF7 remake itself, and nothing else.
  • edited 2015-06-17 19:24:50
    I have a hunch that Steam's carrying a larger variety of games has grown the customer base more than it's grown customers' individual spending.

What I mean is that bringing on new games has probably done more to bring in new customers rather than get existing customers to get more games that they are not used to getting.

It's almost certainly done both, but I'm just estimating one effect is probably larger than the other.

That said, maybe my cynicism could be wrong here.
  • My friends have been trying to get me to play Heroes of the Storm recently. I've been playing it a bit (I like Stitches and love Sgt. Hammer), but haven't really been "serious" about playing it.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I bought valkyria chronicles at full price, I dunno what that makes me.
  • a little muffled
    I mean I'd probably have bought it at full price if I had any illusions that I was actually going to play it anytime soon. However, even now it will probably have to wait until I'm less busy.
    I remember this old DOS implementation of Stratego (not necessarily by that name) that used a couple pieces by J.S. Bach, played by PC Speaker, as its music.  They were the C minor prelude from the Well-Tempered Keyboard, Book I, and the (two-part) Invention in D minor.

Does anyone know about this game?
  • edited 2015-06-19 14:50:10
    It's the final two days of GOG's sale!  All deals are back!

Except not all deals are actually back.  Papers Please is not discounted.  And it was one of the "must-get" games I needed to make that $3.28 I still need to get S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky for free, considering that combining both Sudeki ($1.49) and Superfrog ($1.19) doesn't get me there, leaving me 60 cents short.

Alternatives:
    * Anachronox ($1.99)
    * Guacamelee (Super Turbo Championship Edition) ($5.99) (I already have Gold Edition, FYI)
    * Tropico Reloaded ($1.19)
    * Rayman Forever + 2 The Great Escape + 3 Hoodlum Havoc + Origins ($9.46)
    * Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim ($13.99)

Anyone know how good Anachronox is?  Replacing Superfrog with that puts me at $3.48, which is $0.20 more than I need, so it works.
    I ended up making a thread asking for suggestions on GOG and quite a few came in.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/suggest_a_game_criteria_inside/page1

If any of you wanna suggest anything or comment on suggestions people have made feel free.
    Haul summary

GOG
    * Gex ($1.99)
    * Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure ($1.49) (with soundtrack, though I already have this)
    * Secret Agent ($1.49)
    * SimCity 2000 (Special Edition) ($0.00)
    * Hocus Pocus ($1.49) (with soundtrack)
    * Valdis Story: Abyssal City ($3.79)
    * Terraria ($2.49) (DRM-free version) (with soundtrack) <-- HOLY SHIT I JUST REALIZED THIS, THIS IS EXTRA AWESOME
    * Crystal Caves ($1.49)
    * Raiden III (Digital Edition) ($2.49) (with soundtrack)
    * Battle Realms ($0.00) (with soundtrack)
    * Battle Realms: Winter of the Wolf ($0.00)
    * Sudeki ($1.49)
    * Empire Earth (Gold Edition) ($1.99)
    * S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Skies ($0.00) (with soundtrack)

GOG total: $20.20

Groupees

Be Mine 20

games:
    * Z.A.R.
    * Lightrise
    * Angels That Kill
    * Arcana Kira
    * HEKTOR
    * Morningstar: Descent to Deadrock
    * Shadowgate (2014)
    * Pier Solar and the Great Architects
    * Time Mysteries: Inheritance - Remastered

music:
    * Med Downline - Test Subject
    * The Luna Sequence - This Is Bloodlust
    * Pier Solar and the Great Architects Soundtrack
    * Acherontic Dawn - Contingency
    * Stray Theories - Even Though We Sleep

Groupees total: $4.00

Steam
    * Valkyria Chronicles ($4.99)
    * Goddesses (Profile Background ($3.00)
    * 100% Orange Juice Saki & Kyousuke Character Pack ($0.67)
    * Ikaruga ($4.99)

Steam total: $13.65

Total spending: $37.85

* Games bought: 25
    * Music albums/soundtracks bought: 11 (10 if you don't count Cosmo, 11 again if you count Terraria's two volumes separately)
    * DLC bought: 1
    * Steam community items bought: 1
    Also I have a crapton of extra cards if anyone needs them, especially for first sets.
  • Just beat the Tropico 5 campaign, on default settings (medium with disasters now and then). It's been a long time since I played a SimCity-like game, good times. It was quite easy, only the final mission gave me trouble. I also tried not to be too dictatorial, though I did end up stealing/cancelling elections at times. I think I'll play again under the hardest difficulty, hopefully now that I know better I can make an island layout that makes sense..
  • edited 2015-06-23 21:00:43
    Episode 2 level 7 of Hocus Pocus is surprisingly hard to do perfect score + destroy all enemies (and destroyable blocks), even with correct pathing.

Perfect score means getting all the treasure AND finishing within a time limit. The time limit usually is generous enough to do all that above and goof around for about 30 seconds (or whatever the units are), but I played an almost perfect run on this level and had just about only 13 seconds left on the clock. This was after I was over by about 13 seconds on a previous run.

The odd thing was that levels 8 and 9 resumed the more generous time limits.
    Is it possible to download the current (full) version of FTL and switch between original and Advanced Edition modes?  In other words, is the original pre-AE version of the game still perfectly playable in an up-to-date copy of the game?
  • edited 2015-06-25 21:58:57
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    Yes, there's an option to enable/disable the AE content right on the ship select.
  • edited 2015-06-28 22:53:33
    06-28-15
    New (Complete): Hocus Pocus - Episode 4: Destination Home  (GOG)
    New (Complete): Hocus Pocus - Episode 2: Shattered Worlds  (GOG)
    New (Complete): Hocus Pocus - Episode 1: Time Tripping  (GOG)

Episode 4 level 8 is another level that's got a REALLY REALLY tight bonus time limit.  Took me many tries to survive it, and at the end I still only finished with 5 seconds to spare before the bonus time ran out.

It's actually relatively straightforward.  The only speed strat I use (which I am pretty sure makes it faster) is to not pick up the rapidfire potion at the start, but go right anyway, since the rapidfire potion doesn't do much to make that stretch of the game any faster.  I take a few hits from the armadillos, but usually I can avoid going below 52 health....  Once I've gotten the crystal there, I grab the rapidfire potion on the way back up, then kill the three shooter lizards at the top of the elevator because I already have that (but don't go further since I can get a second rapidfire potion for that segment), and then zoom down and kill the four enemies next to the golden key lock.  Then I move left at the bottom of the elevator, pick up the laser shots, try to take out all five fliers in one shot, and take out all of the gorillas in a second shot, all while still retaining the rapidfire.  Then I ascend the first column of steps and then use what remaining rapidfire I have to quickly break the two blocks concealing the warp potion to the first treasure room, and then kill the armadillos and fliers.  This saves a TON of time in dealing with the enemies in that nook, which I need to deal with to get the silver key.

After getting the key, I should have the blocks covering the warp removed, so I just hold left and will pick up the warp automatically.  First treasure room has a bunch of platforms with six treasures each...it's possible to clear each platform of treasure in just one jump per platform, but it's very hard to do, so I just go for a conservative strat and do one additional jump per platform.  The return warp puts me back in the place where I got the first warp, so I drop down, go to the left.  There's one flier that spawns on top of the the crystal there, and its RNG can delay me (as it just did).  Pick up that crystal, then drop down, and pick up the third crystal on the way out of this whole bottom left area.  I now have the silver key.

Go up the elevator to the top.  Pick up the rapid fire.  Every two platforms, there is a batch of six fliers.  The ceiling is low enough that I can hit fliers at their max height.  Key here is, if any fliers go too low, I don't wait for them to come up, but just barrel on through.  There are four batches in total.  There's a crystal at the end of this little area, so I have to backtrack anyway.  If I'm too fast, I might still have rapidfire left over when I go down the elevator a little bit then left -- which could mess things up since I actually want a laser shot there.

Three laser shots handily deal with three groups of enemies going leftward.  Then here's the second elevator -- NOTE WELL that the second hidden treasure room warp is on the left wall of this elevator.  I missed it a few times.  Second hidden treasure room has switch-gated walls -- flip only the bottom switch for the first wall, and then switch both once each for the second wall.  That should get you all the level's treasures.

Take the return warp, go all the way to the top of the short elevator shaft, and move right, platforming and killing four batches of two shooter lizards each.  Then I use the silver key.  Now there's a ramp up; above this ramp, fliers spawn.  It's much better to not bother too much with trying to attack them from below since there is no healing in this level and there's still a bit of a gauntlet to go.  Wait for them to fly downwards to a more manageable height and get at them from left.

Move to the top of the ramp and trigger the group.  Mash fire as hard as you can and if you're low on health you'll want to avoid getting hit by the shooter lizards' shots.  This is just one batch of about three lizards and three gorillas.  After defeating this batch, there's a rapidfire potion.  Picking it up spawns three armadillos to the left and some number of them to the right (probably also 3?); zap the left ones first.  Then there's another batch of three gorillas and three lizards -- should be easily dealt with with rapidfire but watch for lizards' shots and don't overextend forward.

Finally, there's some spikes on the ground and a higher ceiling.  After jumping the first set, focus fire horizontally and take out the lizard in this group of 1 lizard and 3 fliers.  Then take out the fliers.  If RNG is nice, the fliers will fly downwards; if RNG is not nice, either avoid them or tank their attacks to attack them from beneath.  There are four suchs groups in total, each happening after one set of spikes.

After all these are down, the golden key should be in your hand.  Backtrack leftward, jumping over spikes, running across the the green, jumping platforms then downward down the elevator, then rightward past empty rooms, then downward on the elevator until you're below the entrance area and hug right while going down.  There's the golden lock...and the final crystal.
  • edited 2015-07-01 22:21:34
    Oh, hey, Helena the 3rd is now on Steam.  Has been for two months now.

I should have picked it up from Desura back when it was super super cheap.  Like, $0.50.

The game is basically a spiritual successor to Blaster Master, as far as I've heard.

This seems like something that might be worth a remake.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-07-06 00:41:27
    Can we time travel backward and get that artist writing Other M instead of the doofus who did?  Because that is a thing of beauty.
  • Just finished Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm. Good times. Though I didn't like that Kerrigan (or whoever was the mission's hero) was so central to the gameplay, meaning that whatever group she wasn't in was uncomplete, like in Warcraft III but less drastic. Also this is probably just me but I almost never felt the need to use anything but zerglings and sometimes hydralisks for anti-air, and abominations when I remembered they exist.
  • edited 2015-07-18 00:08:33
    So I've just now been hearing that the PSTV is a $40 object that uses PS3/PS4 controllers and plays most PSV, PSP, and PS1 games on a TV.  And doesn't require a $150+ investment in another new game system, yet would let me play a bunch of PSV and PSP games -- and presumably play PS1 games better than the slightly wonky emulation that I'd have to deal with.

Holy crap.  Suddenly, the possibilities.

list posted here for reference and posterity's sake: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/337079-playstation-tv-compatibility-list-vita-psp-ps1-ps-minis-and-ps-mobile/
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I assumed the PSTV needed at least a PSV to operate but apparently it's a PSV without most PSV things.

Of course you can't play imports on it unless you're a crazy "Have a Japanese PSN account" person so...
    Considering that some games apparently can be just uploaded to the memory card, there might be a way to get the data onto one's card anyway.