If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2015-03-24 05:20:00
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Speaking of JRPGs, I hadn't realized that the FFX/X-2 remake "double-pack" for the PSV was actually just FFX and a free X-2 download and since I only have a single 4GB memory card that already has BlazBlue on it I can't play X-2 right now.

Related, I really wish more JRPGs would do the "Three-four characters with job changing" thing and not the "Eight characters with preset jobs" thing because the former tends to have a lot of options (ie White Mage characters tend to just suck in general so give me stuff to do with the character when I don't need a person to stand there who I'm afraid will die when hit by the tiniest monster whenever we get to a new area but need because I don't want everyone else to die when we get to a new area) and plots tend to work better if you don't have 8+ MCs.

Also The Last Hope was totally worth it.

And has anybody played Toukiden?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I actually kinda really like those stories where you accumulate interesting allies along your journey.

But if only I could actually use all of them at the same time in battle.

Give me a SRPG format or something I guess.
  • edited 2015-03-24 13:34:58
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    SRPGs that let you have more than 6 player characters on the field always give me that "who even is this" feeling every few turns.

Also any SRPG that gives you the choice of character creation/random characters vs. using preset characters always seems to make the preset characters much less appealing to use (FFT, Hoshigami etc).
    Energy Breaker has no random/creation characters, and has six main playable characters...so I guess it doesn't go above six.

I'd give a max of 10.

Actually come to think of it, Fire Emblem regularly has more than six.
  • edited 2015-03-24 17:25:18
    Also any SRPG that gives you the choice of character creation/random characters vs. using preset characters always seems to make the preset characters much less appealing to use (FFT, 

I never used generic characters in FFT once I got enough story characters to fill up my party. Story characters have nice sprites. Also Orlandu is ridiculously good and I can't resist using powerful characters even if it kind of feels like cheating.

So I played the FFXV demo fully. Start of it was still terrible, but after like an hour you get to a part where it actually lets you play the game for more than two minutes at a time and it starts being sort of fun, though I still don't know if I actually want to get the game. Also, slightly annoyingly, you have to actually be in the game to turn on subtitles, which means if you set the voice language to Japanese at the start of the game you actually don't get subtitles for the opening cutscene (or for that matter even if you have it on English, since I just like having subtitles on either way in games).

Also, new game plussing Type-0, I learned that I apparently didn't actually know all the targeting controls my first time through? I'm not sure that makes the camera much less bad though.
    I think I once tried leaving enough space in my FFTA clan for all the special characters.  Then realizing I hadn't left enough.
  • @characters: I wish more games did the FFX thing where you can swap your party members in the middle of a battle.

@FFT: I like generic characters more, since their sprites actually change and resemble the job they currently are.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-03-25 01:45:47
    Thanks for pointing me toward Q-beh.  :)  Feels like a cross between Antichamber and Kairo.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Started replaying FFT, forgot how pretty (and plentiful :|) the cutscenes were.
  •  

Uh, I'm sorry if this statement was in irony, but every Fire Emblem game has at least 15 or 16 characters.  And traditionally more than 10 classes (with characters usually locked in to certain class paths). 

I like JRPGs with unique characters, and I like trying out different combinations of characters.  My personal preference is around seven or eight characters for a typical party of three or four, with those numbers higher for strategy RPGs that typically have you deploying 10+ characters at a time. 

@characters: I wish more games did the FFX thing where you can swap your party members in the middle of a battle.

@FFT: I like generic characters more, since their sprites actually change and resemble the job they currently are.

Agreed on both counts.  I wish more RPGs would let me switch out in battle as smoothly as FFX does.  And other than my first run of FFT (which had a LOT of Ramza, Mustadio, Agrias, Beowulf, Reis, and Orlandu), I've used generics + Ramza almost exclusively.  Beowulf, Reis, and Orlandu are so powerful that the game becomes a little too easy.  In recent plays I only use them when I'm messing around. 
  • edited 2015-03-27 15:02:39
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Monsoon wrote: »

Uh, I'm sorry if this statement was in irony, but every Fire Emblem game has at least 15 or 16 characters.  And traditionally more than 10 classes (with characters usually locked in to certain class paths).

I was actually thinking of the number of characters that one could deploy onto the battlefield at once.  I remember this is limited to 9 in at least one of the Sacred Stones missions, on hard, but I don't actually know what the usual limit is.  It's not the full traveling group, in any case.  So just to be safe, I said "more than six".

Speaking of SPRGs, I prefer a grid layout like FE as compared to one where the graphics allow for obstacles to block the view of the camera (Disgaea is really good with this though but playing FFT has reminded me of how absolutely infuriating it can be). Same way with Dungeon Crawlers, because it's much easier to lose your bearings on a 3D map than a 2D one (Unchain Blades vs. Shiren The Wanderer, not that Shiren is easier for it).
    Can't you rotate the camera on FFT?
  • edited 2015-03-28 02:11:06
    You can but 1.) it doesn't actually help very much since no angle lets you see the entire area at once, and 2.) you really shouldn't have to spin the camera around all the time to see where everyone is. That actually did bug me a lot a few weeks ago when I tried replaying FFT (but then I quit very early on because wow the original PSX translation is completely incomprehensible. I don't know how people can defend it). A top-down view wouldn't work most of the time since height is significant, but it'd be nice if it was an option, so you could at least figure out where everyone is relative to one another with just one camera angle instead of four (you'd still need the other views to see height clearly, but it's usually a lot less important to know everyone's elevation at the same time).

Anyway, got Bloodborne because obviously. As expected, it's Demon's Souls but a little faster-paced and somehow even more embarrasingly trying-to-be-dark-and-spooky. Fun though. Seems kind of easy though (relative to Demon's Souls/Dark Souls). So far pretty much every boss has been vulnerable to the "keep attacking until it dies" tactic which is maybe the point, but I guess now that there basically aren't shields (there is at least one but it's not useful) and dodging is the only way to avoid damage, they made it much easier to dodge attacks or something. The only real big flaw though so far (halfway through the game? more? less? hard to tell without actually knowing how much stuff is in the game) is that healing items are now once again (as in Demon's Souls but not Dark Souls) an item you have to buy or get as a drop from enemies. Since you definitely for sure need healing items to not die, this means that if you run out you basically have to spend 10 minutes farming for more. Lots of games do this sort of thing of course but it's terrible in all of them and no game should ever ever ever make you grind as punishment for healing (or as punishment for anything else, really).
    So La-Mulana now has Linux and Mac versions, apparently.

Also apparently the LInux version doesn't work right but this may help: http://steamcommunity.com/app/230700/discussions/0/618458030650089374/
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So, due to a desire for some RPG and problems with installation of my bro's copy of Neverwinter Nights, I decided to reinstall Dragon Age. Chose commoner dwarf background this time.  And you know what, after finishing the prologue it struck me that at this moment I'd probably be more interested if the rest of the game was like that, urban survival-slash-class conflict fantasy story, without all that joining the Grey Wardens and saving Ferelden stuff. (I quite like that kind of class conflict stories, for some reason. Which is
    also
    why I wondered about posting this post in Updates.  Kinda like it's with Fight Club and the rest of them commercial anti-commercial stories.)

• edited 2015-10-09 07:09:12
    [user deleted]
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I don't agree in full only because the darkspawn serve as an additional way to spice things up for the dwarves. But apart from that, exactly my opinion.

Mind you, I'd have to play other games to discuss the rest of the franchise. I have an impression I'd still prefer the first one, but, you know.

• edited 2015-10-09 06:59:01
    [user deleted]
    Mhm, I have an access to a copy of the second one. Haven't tried it out yet, for some reason. I've been told it's got a fun story mired by the awkward way it was merged with gameplay (blood mage running around in a city ruled by Templars and all that lot).
    Recently played Waking Mars.

It's an exploration platformer where your primary direct game mechanics are picking up and throwing seeds.  Really.  And it is quite good.

Basically, life has been discovered on Mars.  You are one of the astronauts who has been sent to explore said life on Mars.  You make first contact with them and discover that they are these plant-like lifeforms, that produce seeds, which you can use to plant more of them.  There are also, conveniently, barriers that open when you have enough of them growing.

That last bit might seem like a convenient gameplay mechanic, but it actually ties into the story.  Yes, a surprisingly intriguing story follows from all this.  The whole game took me about 11 hours to complete, and I can vouch that the story is quite interesting.

The game is an exploration-heavy metroidvania, consisting of interconnected areas to explore and grow things in.  There is a certain depth of strategy to how to grow things, since different things have different biomass values, and you need to exceed a certain biomass value to proceed, or to unlock other features.  Also, you can pick up some seeds, but not others, and not all terrain is suited for planting all things.  And then there are more complex mysteries that lie deeper within...

Your exploration is punctuated by your contact with your fellow crew members -- one person back at base, and one AI who is a little annoying (and the other characters lampshade this).  These characters are okay -- if anything, their voice acting is better than their actual scripts, which are a little redundant.  You could actually make this game more like a silent-protagonist Metroid-like game with a strong element of the player learning game mechanics without being told -- I mean, heck, that's basically what happens anyway, except for the "I wonder how you might be able to do such-and-such" that the characters sometimes say.  That said, the characters are (needless to say) part of the plot.  And there are even multiple endings.

Aside from the somewhat chatty NPCs and the occasionally irritating physics (the player-character insists on taking a moment to get his footing very often), this is an excellent game, so I definitely recommend it.

----

In more of the metroidvania realm, I recently restarted playing La-Mulana.  Basically, playing it in front of a couple friends.  I've kinda gotten tired of not having anyone to talk to about this game, and I've also wanted to play the remake for a while now.

That said...

----

Even while not with my friends, I love playing La-Mulana so much that I still felt like playing a metroidvania game with an emphasis on exploration and discovery, so I've finally (re)started playing Aquaria.  (I previously played through the first dungeon a while back, the stopped.)

Now here's a game that is absolutely beautiful.  Gorgeous in its art and music.  It is just a joy to be in the game itself.  There might be a lot of backtracking to do, especially if you're exploring the game on your own for the first time, and it is occasionally tedious, but the sights to see and the music that accompany them are just so atmospherically enjoyable.

The game stars a humanoid sea-creature named Naija, whose journey of discovery begins as she explores who she is, and why she is alone in the sea.  She has the ability to sing these tones that put together can have magic-like effects, whch she picks up as the game progresses.

Now this game does really well that "no hand-holding"/"discover things on your own" bit.  You control Naija with the mouse or keyboard, swimming in all directions and being able to generate bursts of speed every couple seconds or so to go faster.  Right-click or hold Ctrl and move the mouse to open up the singing tones around oneself, and sing the magical codes of your abilities once you discover them.  That's basically it.  Some abilities may have different controls.

You're in an underwater world.  A vast variety of creatures dot almost every corner of every area.  Now if you're a longtime gamer, one of the first things that you might notice is that most of them are harmless to you, and you to them as well.  Yet they also interact with each other.  Sometimes they may even be hazardous to you but only under conditions unrelated to yourself -- for example, pulling up some food may attract a big fish, who will want to eat the food.  That said, you may find more hostile creatures elsewhere...and there may be reasons for this...

There's also lots of things to collect.  First, there are ingredients, and then there are food items, which you can find and also create using ingredients.  But you'll need to find one item first, to get the recipe of it.  There are also a number of collectibles in out-of-the-way places around the map, which you can use to decorate Naija's home cave, or give her costumes to wear.

The plot is has got a lot of depth (no pun intended) in its mythos, and delivers very well on that journey of self-discovery.  I won't spoil it, and I'll only add that, having played (I think) about half the game, I think you can make it through just by being observant and learning to use your abilities, but there are a number of "optional" secrets and features that you are left to discover on your own.  This includes features that aren't part of the game mechanics, but are visual features that you can explore with just a pencil and paper -- and they can reveal quite a lot about the game's setting.

I think the variety of areas -- visually and musically -- is a little less than in games like La-Mulana or CvSotN.  That said, there's actually a musical reason for this -- most of the game has music in D minor / F major, and the tones that Naija sings are C, D, E, F, G, A, Bb, C.  If you pay attention, an early-game dungeon has music in E minor (or actually E phrygian, technically), and Naija instead sings C, D, E, F, G, A, B (natural), C.  Despite this limitation, Alec Holowka created a stunningly lush soundtrack for the game, one that really is a core part of the game and defines its atmosphere.  So you can't really use too many different keys and keep nearly the same set of notes and make it not sound out-of-place -- though then again, I have only played half the game.  If later parts of the game do even more with this potential element of contrast, I will be very, very impressed.

TL;DR Aquaria is an excellent game, and I definitely recommend it.
    lol the store page description for Waking Mars spoils more than my review does
    Tried playing Ni no Kuni, had a lot of fun with the world map and the battle system, even though it's trying really hard not to be a certain series about catching and battling with monsters.

Then a half hour in it turned into fetch quests, lots and lots of running around without any battling because they didn't even take place on the field. Fetch quests with very little incentive to actually care about finishing them. The plot is also basically a bunch of Ghibli movies and not exactly like... worth playing through to find out what happens?

So it was half an hour of fun, then three hours on top of that of going to places (mostly back and forth and that is the worst because it's basically trading cutscenes for having me walk around which is not cool).

I will probably play more because I think the next place I get to go is an actual dungeon but if I'm this sick of it now it probably won't be worth it.
  • edited 2015-04-14 08:39:01
    Apparently Final Fantasy Type-0 HD has exactly four permanently missable cutscenes, which of course I missed. Fortunately I had a save file from right before them, but it does mean I've now lost 35 hours of "progress" (that is, mostly grinding). I guess it won't actually take quite that long to get back to a reasonable approximation of where I was, but this is still a bit frustrating.

I'm also not sure why I care because I'm really not this much of a completionist, but for some reason I really feel like I want to be with this game? It's not even that good, probably.

As for older games, I also started playing Mega Man X: Command Mission because I am supposed to be a Mega Man fan and what are fans supposed to do but play mediocre spinoffs of the things they like? Impressions after the first three chapters/four hours (out of ten chapters total apparently): Story somehow seems even worse than a regular Mega Man X game. Level design is awful (repeating generic hallways, tedious non-puzzles). The combat is actually sort of interesting, maybe, but so far it's never been particularly challenging (which isn't really in itself a problem) and equipment and such is usually too simple to feel like an actual choice or strategic decision.

Basically it's actually just a really typical not-good JRPG which is exactly what I expected.

A point in its favor though, X's unexplained new laser jetpack cape thing is sort of cool in a silly way.
  • My arms are falling off!
    Broken 3DS = ;;
    No access to Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate due to broken 3DS = ;_________;

In the meantime I've just been playing iPad music games and LINE PLAY aka Habbo Hotel for smartphones and with currency you don't need to spend real world money on (though getting said currency takes a while without spending cash). Tone Sphere and Cytus have wonderful content:price ratios.

Star Ocean 5 Announced For PlayStation 4 And PlayStation 3

Oh no.

• edited 2015-04-14 16:23:50
    Will buy whenever it actually comes out because I still think I like JRPGs despite all evidence and because I have no taste.

Hopefully it's more fun to actually play than Star Ocean 4 though (and I've never played 1-3). Cutscenes and stuff were fun as in goofy but actual dungeon exploring was really tedious which is the whole reason I stopped playing at the last dungeon.
  • edited 2015-04-14 20:30:09
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    maybe I still like JRPGs because I've played relatively few of them.

or i just tend to ignore those things i don't like, in forming my tastes.  until i start talking to other people about them and then suddenly realize that most of the anime fandom isn't like what i wanted it to be or something
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Well, you could always descend into snobbish and pretentious assholery to validate your taste as a true fan.
    I played Star Ocean 4 twice because I think there was basically a time when the only PS3 JRPGs were it, Resonance of Fate and Eternal Sonata. I'd just had enough of Resonance of Fate and Eternal Sonata's two-player option always made me feel really bad for having no one to play it with.

Related: I have finished less PS3 JRPGs than I wish I had (ie neither White Knight Chronicles) because the PSP came along and just had everything on it and now I'm trying to make the Vita that even if it doesn't want to be (I feel like this will involve a lot of pretending Neptunia's battle system does not make me want to throw things). Also I will definitely never finish a PS4 JRPG even if I get one and even if it's KHIII.