If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So, went to vote. 

The elections actually were four for the price of one at my place: local council, city council, city mayor, regional council. Voted for some minor party that won't get anywhere (not that I would mind if they do get a single MP), some person who was the only one I vaguely recognized, and the last guy on the list from the local right-wing opposition (but not the crazy fringe right-wing, the crazy fundie right-wing, or the crazy wannabe strongman right-wing) because I told myself I'll go for a "take that!" gesture towards the ruling party this time.

My bro voted for the main competitor of the current mayor, because he hopes there'll be the second round and he'll earn double spreading leaflets.

• edited 2014-11-16 15:28:22

From a Venezuelan journalist:

Poland celebrates sissy elections without bikers or fraud or anything.

This Sunday, Poland celebrated the first round of their sissy elections. According to Warsaw reports, there were no bikers, collectives, fraud calls or anything.

Since early hours of the morning, the Polish citizens went to the ballots to sufrage in what would be another normal and sissy elections. Not even one browbeat of voters in line. There was no appearances of ghost electors and they didn't even call fraud when finishing the first round. What kind of election is that? Where's the emotion? The drama? Yeah, right, now that they're doing well economically, they're acting all civilized those Polish. But one understands, one knows them. They were a disaster during the 70s, so don't come to me with that thing that they're Eastern Europe's Switzerland.

Well, let them envy us. Because we all know that deep inside they're jealous of our elections. Plus, look how we are now. No, no, let's not compare; that's unpolite. Well, they better do well in the second round. They surely won't have washing machines giveaways, or yelled out populist discourse and much less accusations that any of the candidates is Czech.

(Sorry for leaking off the other thread, but I had to.)

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

We've had some sticks and stones on the Independence Day march, but compared to previous years it was quite peaceful. BTW I see you localized the article a bit.

Voting's over, first polling results - right-wing guys:ruling party 31,5:27,3. Parliamentary elections in 11 months, we'll see what happens then.

• BTW I see you localized the article a bit.

Did I do it right with the Czech bit?

• edited 2014-11-16 15:51:27
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

If you are looking for a foreign nationality the crazy guy might accuse an opposing politician of, then that's going to be either (you guessed it) German or Russian. Mostly German, I have a feeling, Russian alignment mostly shows up in accusations of being a deep cover agent rather than a secret national. Czechs work great if you don't mind a bit of surrealism though.

edit: I don't know how could I have forgotten the Jews. Perhaps because it's too obvious. In TVT terms, it's a Dead Horse Trope in politics by now.

• Nyktos wrote:

the ugliest blog in history.

I am curious about this even though I will probably regret it.

• a little muffled
    I posted the link in this thread at one point. I'm on my phone right now but it should be easy enough to find, if it does still exist.
  • a little muffled

I think it was hot pink before so this may actually be an improvement.

• edited 2014-11-16 18:37:26
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

^^ Ow, my eyes!

• @lrdgck Aww shucks, I automatically discarded Germany and Russia for belonging to different mental images (beer and vodka) so I guess I was completely off.

Also, Maduro really is Colombian, except argueably legally (his mother is Colombian, and having a Colombian parent makes you Colombian, though he's not registered as a Colombian citizen to anybody's knowledge).

• Nyktos wrote:

Bullshit, I just noticed that @Nyktos on Twitter now isn't that Ukrainian guy. Meaning that there was probably a chance for me to grab the name and I missed it.

Heh, I had something similar happen with the Tumblr URL "centralavenue". That's why mine is "central-avenue".

• edited 2014-11-17 13:13:35
    a little muffled

Earlier in the semester I complained about the price of one of my textbooks on Facebook. Now Facebook is showing me ads for that same book slightly cheaper. So close, advertising algorithms, and yet so far.

Have you heard of the most recent piece of Internet social justice wankery, the rocket-scientist-shirt-Gate?

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Oooooh boy.

• edited 2014-11-17 19:10:28

I was hoping no one would bring that up, actually. But since the cat's out of the bag:

That shirt belongs on vacation in Hawaii, not at an interview for an important scientific finding.

V Sounds good. That was all I wanted to say about it anyway.

Mind you, we could have left it at the grunt level (as in: "Oooh boy." "Mhm." "Yep.").

• Inappropriate dresscode for the interview? Maybe.

Enough to warrant a mild Twitter firestorm? No.

Did it deserve a better article that used it as a springboard for a 'sexism in science' discussion instead of one filled with Twitter screencaps? Was the feminist reaction exaggerated in the GG astroturfing? Both a resounding yes.

I just find the way he was publicly shamed to be so friggin' overblown.

• edited 2014-11-17 19:49:00

Maybe. It's not my place to say how offensive it was, so I don't have much to say.

Offense is to be taken, not an intrinsic part or quality of a piece of clothing. I can agree it was tacky as all hell. But offensive, can't posibly agree.

• edited 2014-11-18 01:35:42

With the GoombaGape Clown Car* derailing itself into irrelevance and a total joke, with their only victory over Gamasutra recently nullified, it's illuminating to return to civilization and be reminded that actually, it's about ethics in oil production**. That lot is almost as stupid, yet more numerous and legitimate right-wing rags on their side. And a bunch of them get paid to troll CBC.

*Thanks, lrdgck, for the mental image!

**But seriously though, that's actually what they call it.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Sigh.

• Give it 3 months of incidents and relatively stable numbers that are enough to entertain the core crowds on both sides, then continue with another half year of once-a-month media exposure. Especially with the swatting and dude chased out of his home right now by drunken women, if the documentation of those incidents synch up, it will be far from over.  

• It feels like I've been living a sheltered internet life. What happened now?

A rocket scientist responsible for the Rosetta probe's lander finding its way onto the surface of the Churyumov-Gerasimenko comet gave an interview dressed in a shirt depicting scantily-clad women, because hey, it's not like working in science is 24/7 suit and top hat, is it? Not so fast Bucko! Social justice wankers decided that screw pioneering achievement in space exploration, let's focus instead on the shirt. Cue wankery and bullying of the poor nerd.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
  • edited 2014-11-18 11:08:36
    Diet NEET

Also, on the GG front, two folks got swatted(police reports pending, likelihood of GNAA is pretty high), and Steve Tom Sawyer was abused and kicked out of his house by his GF's drunk friends after they'd read the news on the whole controversy and heard his stance. It's mostly unrelated to the incident, but they chose it as a justification to abuse him, so it will be used as ammo akin to this: http://thingofthings.wordpress.com/2014/11/17/zoe-quinn-is-an-abuser/

• edited 2014-11-18 11:22:37
    a little muffled

lrdgck wrote:
    A rocket scientist responsible for the Rosetta probe's lander finding its way onto the surface of the Churyumov-Gerasimenko comet gave an interview dressed in a shirt depicting scantily-clad women, because hey, it's not like working in science is 24/7 suit and top hat, is it? Not so fast Bucko! Social justice wankers decided that screw pioneering achievement in space exploration, let's focus instead on the shirt. Cue wankery and bullying of the poor nerd.
    A scientist made an inredily poor choice of clothing for an interview, especially given that the scientific community is already hostile to women. A few feminists commented on this, because hey, it's not like competent scientists are above the normal standards of human decency, right? Not so fast bucko! The usual internet trash dogpiled them and everyone who supported them, because screw consideration for the feelings of other people, he's a scientist. Cue endless death and rape threats even after the scientist in question admitted his mistake and apologized.

look mom i can write an incredibly biased account too

Funny thing, I kind of count as a member of scientific community (not that it means much) and never even heard anyone speak of that systemic hostility. Among, dunno, medical professionals? Ayup, there were stories. But scientific community, never.

I'd have thought, an incredibly poor choice of clothing for an interview would be, dunno, leather jacket and riding boots and round cap with an iron cross when approached for an Israeli newspaper? But whatever.

Also: rape is never funny