If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• My arms are falling off!

I keep having to add tracks back to my "tracks I like" playlist in foobar2000 because my computer crashes periodically, and fb2k is one of those applications that has no way to save data short of closing the application.

• edited 2014-09-21 06:15:28
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

This inkjet printer uses color ink to print black text when I ask the page to be printed in color.

Meanwhile, this document uses tons of cyan and yellow ink, but much less magenta.

And thanks to its choice of color schemes (specifically, its use of white text on light neon green background), I have to print it using normal quality or better.

• This inkjet printer uses color ink to print black text when I ask the page to be printed in color.

That's a pretty stupid design decision.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well, I now have a very red document.

I guess it's appropriate since it documents a REDD+ program.
  • The most annoying part about re-installing windows is having to install all of the updates that have been released since the OS has been released. 

• On 7 and earlier I always made a point to start with the Service Packs so I wasn't installing redundant updates, but it seems like they're not even doing the traditional Service Pack model anymore

Really should find a new kernel for my phone, and/or factory reset it. Losing 10% per hour when I'm not touching my phone at all is not acceptable.

• edited 2014-10-07 14:57:47

My Waterfox portable installation:

1. shall not be updated, under pain of "doesn't start at all"

2. is kinda messed up since I seem to have some things pointing to C:\Waterfox and others pointing to C:\Waterfox-broken

3. doesn't really seem to be portable at all since it has entries in the userfolder (?)

Right now I'm going through the Registry to change almost every instance of Waterfox-broken to Waterfox.

• Why does a portable app have registry entries??

That's what I was surprised at, at first...then I realized that I was using it as my default system browser.

Anyway, I just got everything to work fine.

A key problem that was plaguing me was that opening Waterfox from the Start Menu caused Waterfox to open with the correct profile (add-ons, search engines, and all), but opening it from another program (e.g. clicking a link in Thunderbird) caused it to open with a default profile.

After some dicking around in the registry, including some risky deletions of entire registry entries and their subkeys, I think I've solved the problem.

brb, renaming backup RunWaterfox.EXE to RunWaterfox.THOUSHALTNOTRUNTHISEXE to prevent me from using the backup for anything

Political campaigns like money.  This has been a fact of life since, like, forever.

However, they also like your e-mail addresses.  So, an odd little thing they like to do, when you give them money, is to also get your e-mail address.

Problem is, I use one e-mail address to get their communications, while I use a different e-mail address to donate money to them.  This was intentional on my part, because campaign spam is slightly less important to me than anything involving my finances.

However, once I did this and threw a few dollars at a guy running for office in a nearby district, his campaign now spams my second e-mail address with his information.  This is AFTER I signed up for campaign spam using my first e-mail address, and clicked a donation link in one of the e-mails sent to that first e-mail address.

Sorry, John, I would love to see you in Congress, but I'm gonna have to unsubscribe from your e-mail address, because I'm already subscribed and will stay subscribed.

Twitter for Android tends to skip large blocks of tweets in conversation threads and a user's tweets, with no way to fill gaps.

Twitter if you want to monopolize Twitter clients, fix your own clients first.

Oh boy, time to register an account for California DMV so I can renew my li--

> password limit of 20 characters (to compare, username limit is 40)

> security question feature, in which I can't make my own questions

Yep, that's government institutions for you.

Just make sure you don't give truthful answers to the security questions.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Guys, do you know of some simple way to make my system run faster? Like, some small freeware to clear up the disc, remove leftover registry keys, whatever. I'm a bit of a layman in this regard. Tried defragmenting, trying spybot removal. I'm assuming it's something that can be improved without formatting the disc, heh heh.

If you use Steam, you may be able to free up some space using the TikiOne Steam Cleaner.  Otherwise, I don't know.

• CCleaner is my go to for what you are asking for. The free version works just fine. 

https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Basically I have two problems: the system takes quite a time when I switch the stuff on, and, Opera gets stuck once in a while. I'm rather fond of the browser, but that's mostly a matter of getting used to it. Anyway, I'll try out what you've suggested.

Follow-up on the DMV post I made, it gets better.

When you request to have your password reset, they mail a new password to you.

Cool, so I have a temporary password that's stored in plaintext, thanks. Not like I need important things pertaining to my identity and driving privileges to be secure, nope totally not.

• edited 2014-10-09 16:45:57
    a little muffled

Mailing a new password is pretty standard for password resets. It doesn't imply that the password is stored in plaintext in the database. If they were emailing you your old password, that would be a problem.

(Of course, chances are that they're storing it in plaintext anyway, especially with the 20-character maximum.)

Raydere wrote:

When you request to have your password reset, they mail a new password to you.

Important question:

e-mail or snail mail?

• edited 2014-10-10 14:43:36
    My arms are falling off!

I'm generally not fond of password character limits, unless they're set pretty high (at least 30). If you are storing password hashes (which you should be doing), it shouldn't matter how long the user's password is unless it's a ridiculously huge 5000-character password. Worst I've seen is Curecos only allowing a password of up to nine characters.

Also not fond of requirements like "your password must have at least x numeric characters and y special characters", or worse yet, "your password may not have the following characters".

Tried a few f.lux-like apps for Android. I don't know if it's an Android restriction, but all of these apps fail to do their job properly, as they just make the screen brighter in the process of applying the filter.

Let it be known for the record that the Epson XP-410 printer refuses to print more when it decides that the ink has run out.

Not me.  Not based on missing lines or something.  Not based on the text coming out too light.  No.

Also, I can't figure out what the actual capacity of 200-I, 200, and 200-XL black ink cartridges are.

I can see that 200-XL is sold at $30 by itself, and regular 200 is sold at $13, but I can't even see if 200-XL has more than twice as much ink.  I just have to take Epson's word for it.

Next cartridge I buy for this printer will be a knockoff.  Because I might actually get more information out of that.

• edited 2014-10-13 15:12:38

Well, to their credit, @Epson_Store on Twitter replied saying that 200XL contains 15 mL of ink.  I'm now asking them for the capacity of 200 and 200-I.

• IJBM: programs that don't have hotkeys visible (tooltips, etc.).

CF.lumen does the job correctly, in that it actually reduces blue rather than trying to do the visual equivalent of drowning out ambient noise with loud music through headphones.

• Ooh, nice background.
  • From here it looks like some weird variation of a sepia tone filter.