If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• a little muffled

your mom

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Man, so that was the stasis pod about? I only took the scraps...DAMMIT FTL!

• Actually, the Crystal questline tells you what to do at each step, even if it's just "you should find someone who knows what to do with this".  Unlike SOME of them (MANTIS).

• edited 2013-09-22 00:35:23
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Nah, the mantis is incredibly obvious after a while; it just cheats.

Oh wait, you're not talking abo--NEVER MIND, IT PROBABLY STILL CHEATS IN SPACE OVER A THOUSAND YEARS LATER

• We're talking about the same one, right?  The one where you have to board his ship and kill his crew instead of fighting him like every other enemy in the game, then use an upgraded medbay on him afterward?

Because yeah, that wasn't really obvious.

• edited 2013-09-22 04:34:54

No, I'm just mocking Pictimos.  I haven't actually played FTL.

In other news, http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2013/sep/20/video-games-cause-violence-claims-cause-violence

I don't know how credible the source is, but I wasn't expecting to find an article with this title on a site other than The Onion.

• ^^ The article is pretty blatantly satire by the time you get to lines like

"Last week we had a three-hour meeting where my boss berated the entire department for not using 'synergy'. I asked him what that meant exactly and I'm now on report for insubordination. After that I spent about five hours hacking up virtual zombies with virtual blunt instruments, and felt a lot less like I wanted to strangle my boss with that stupid school tie he wears, which is identical to the one the managing director has."

• So with the funds raised from the stupid Steam trading cards, I was able to buy the remakes of Monkey Island 1 and 2, and La-Mulana.  Essentially for free.

• edited 2013-09-23 09:57:38
    (void)

Some Steambox announcement is happening in like three hours.  The real news is still probably that since there are three announcements, we now know Valve is in fact capable of counting to three.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

There's still a few hours to get La-Mulana for $3 by the way.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-26 05:09:26

>le Sword of the Stars: the Pit.

>First few floors drop four weapons

>They're ALL pistols

>No pistol ammo drops for two floors

>But I have like 500 rifle rounds, 90 shotgun shells, 25 energy cells, and an energy backpack -- with no guns that use them

>Gray force field alien shows up

>He takes zero damage because ALL I HAVE IS FUCKING PISTOLS

>I'm down to punching robots with Razor Claws

>Armory with three weapon lockers

>One of them only has rifle ammo and a stun grenade

>Other two are adaptoids in disguise and proceed to immobilize and threeshot me

> playing against Tomomo (+2/0/+1, 6 HP) and Yuki (+2/-1/-1, 5 HP)

> Tomomo and Yuki keep rolling 6+2=8 against enemies with at most +1 to defense or evade

> I keep rolling 3 or less against same enemies

> Tomomo keeps winning game after game

rainbow dash angry face

• http://gematsu.com/2013/09/atlus-opens-november-24-teaser-site

That better be a fucking Persona 5 announcement, or I will cut a guy.  Probably my roommate.  He looks like a bleeder. 

• Valve has announced their own controller. It looks weird but the ability to present it self natively as a keyboard and mouse has pretty much sold me on it.

• Not sold on the trackpads, but I REALLY like that they designed it to be hackable.

I don't see how to get keyboard out of this, but this is definitely an interesting design.

• a little muffled

http://fuckyeahbritishcomedy.tumblr.com/post/62494891800 // yo can somebody post this on IJBM's vidya thread, directed at Alex?

• edited 2013-09-30 01:35:30
    (void)

I don't see how to get keyboard out of this, but this is definitely an interesting design.

The sixteen buttons map to whichever keys you need, as well as presumably the left touchpad mapping to WSAD.

I'm curious about how the haptics work, myself.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-10-02 22:23:30

I'm watching a video of someone doing an Insane difficulty run of Sword of the Stars: the Pit.  It's incredibly aggravating, because he's being a tremendous idiot about pretty much everything, but getting absurdly lucky about pretty much everything.  By floor 10 he's survived encounters at less than 10 HP about four times (each owing to at least three turns in a row of the enemy missing or not moving at all as he finished them off at melee range with no health left when he could've run away and healed up), has the best armor in the game, enough food to last for pretty much the rest of it despite spending a good amount of time running back and forth and being really indecisive, a med drone, and lockpicks and medkits are dropping like fucking candy, and he's sponging ammo into large proteans that he can walk around.

From the length of the playlist I know he finished the run too.

GRRR.

• So if anybody wants a Shadow Warrior 10% off and/or Devolver 75% off Steam Coupon, let me know.

• To be or not to be? That is the question.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-10-08 06:04:17

Sword of the Stars: the Pit completed on Normal.  Despite half my weapons getting trashed by failed crafting and almost no food at all dropping for the middle 10 floors in a row.  I was pretty pissed when I lost a lightning sword on the last 5 floors because the adamantium sword crafting failed.

As far as I can tell, the upper difficulties basically come down to getting a pulse rifle and adamantium claws as quickly as possible, and praying for an auto shotgun and Brawler armor.  Because fucking nothing else kills some of the more dangerous enemies fast enough, with little enough ammo, or has enough armor penetration, the adult zuuls will sodomize you sideways if you're wearing anything less than the best armor in the game, and any lesser armor will break within a few floors anyway.  And the final floor is basically impossible without a disguise belt and some energy drinks on any difficulty past Easy.

• edited 2013-10-09 14:31:33

So is that character in Ether Vapor named Tetley Eisner or Tetley Einser?

The Steam cards say Tetley Eisner but the TV Tropes page on Ether Vapor says Tetley Einser.  And I can't figure out which is more related to tea.

(In case you don't know, at least half the cast is named after stuff related to tea companies.  I mean, Luca Earlgrey?  Then again, only half their names are tea-based...)

• Please tell me they have a character named Vicks.

• Disgaea D2 does NOT rewrite the book on Disgaea at all.  Not even a little bit.  But it's a little more forgiving than Disgaea 3 or 4 and HILARIOUS.  Maybe funniest game in the entire series.  I'm only one episode in and I'm fucking DYING. 

• edited 2013-10-14 08:24:43
    To be or not to be? That is the question.

http://www.indiegala.com/ New Indiegala bundle! Featuring RefleX, Fairy Bloom Freesia, Ether Vapor Remaster, Eryi's Action, Satazius, Crusader Kings II, and Gorky 17, with more coming up!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696913 Get Civ V or Mafia II for free by voting on the Golden Joystick Awards.

• Okay, my enthusiasm for Disgaea D2 has waned somewhat.  It's full of jokes and it's nice to see the original trio return, but this is probably the least-interesting Disgaea game in terms of plot.  The new characters and scenarios are on the weak side. 

In combat, however, it's fantastic.  It streamlines and simplifies a few aspects to the old D1/D2 systems of skill and weapon customization, and it's easier than EVER to pass skills and spells between characters.  Almost seems too easy.  Also, there's a new weapon type for the first time since D2, which is something I guess.  It's saying something when the most exciting part of a new sequel is small changes to gameplay.  I'm enjoying the game okay, but it's not as good as Disgaea 4.  D2 is less of a full Disgaea game and more of a lengthy expansion pack to D1. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-10-19 04:03:55

I'm doing a Pit run with the marine.  It's bad enough that he's got the most irritating voice acting I've heard in a long time, but he's just universally bad at everything except shaking off disease and carrying lots of shit.  The first 10 floors are a tedious slog of trying desperately (and usually failing) to get any success at all in opening loot containers, because he doesn't get enough skill points to put into them unless you succeed at least once per level, one of which has to go into foraging anyway.  His skills are all in like three weapon classes, one of which he doesn't start with, the ones he does start with are all ammo guzzlers, and his Finesse is so goddamn low that he misses with all of them anyway.  And the  stats that open containers are the same ones that let you successfully craft items, so I have like a 50% chance to instantly lose all my ingredients (failed two sets of claws already).

And on top of that, I somehow made it all the way to floor 20 and not a single piece of armor has dropped this entire run.  I've seen a grand total of two armor lockers, one of them only had an armor mod, and the other botched its roll and destroyed its armor.  No chitin has dropped for the craftable armor either.

So basically, I've been running around naked since the shitty starter armor broke eight floors ago, having to rest after every single room because I'm taking like 30 damage per hit from pretty much anything.  And by now I'm running into heavy bots and heavy morrigi drones that do like 130+ damage per turn, which is about a quarter of my max HP.  I haven't even seen rifle parts to craft a pulse rifle that'll let me bash those fuckers down in one round.

God dammit Travis why are you so consummately bad at EVERYTHING?

EDIT: FINALLY.  After having to go through -- once more, naked -- three toxoids and two cyber bears in two adjacent rooms (wtf?!) I finally got a piece of armor to drop.  It should be able to carry through the rest of the game.

Been playing a lot of FTL lately.  Beat it on easy with the Torus twice...almost won another time but I CLICKED WAIT BY ACCIDENT.

I think I really like the Torus.  Or maybe I'm just used to using it.