If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Started playing the Deadpool game today.

The IGN review gave it a 6.5 Okay rating, but I would bump that up to an 8 honestly, just based on 30 minutes or so of playing.

• I'm thinking about getting Project X Zone, but there are a few other 3DS games I'm a bit interested in getting, too.

Has anyone played it? Is it any good?

• For those who haven't heard, the Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta is going on right now.  Gimp yourself for charity!  :D

http://fourjobfiesta.com/index.php

• So after looking at several reviews, I deduced that Project X Zone is indeed worth buying.

The version I bought was a limited release that came with an art book and soundtrack. Odds are I won't actually use any of these, but it's still a good deal.

• I got the hydrogen glitch puzzle.  That was really obnoxious.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Yeah, WildM mentioned to me that the reception for this week's set has been... mixed. I believe his exact words were "a little love, a lot of hate". The template puzzle was neat, though.

Since I actually solved everything, that means I should score high for that didn't work last week and it won't work now.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-06-26 02:09:10

I'm actually reasonably proud of all three of my solutions.

So statistically I'm likely to not place in anything, because my best placing was in the week I thought my solutions were terrible and was positive I missed something.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Round 4! Polymers! One of which is a molecule that I coincidentally created a puzzle for and sent to WildM, albeit with different inputs. Figured out a 357/33 solution for PVC V, but I'll need some time to work out the other two.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Any of you guys played Crusader Kings 2?

• I think I'm too irritated with Paradox's tendency to clog up Steam's sale list twice a week with 50-100 cosmetic DLCs to ever consider playing anything they make, really.

Also I doubt I could run it and I'm hilariously terrible at RTS.

• lrdgck,

I have not, but there is a thread over on HH on the topic if you are interested.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Hm, yeah, I've already browsed through it, but it's mostly about after-action reports, and I'd hesitate over setting up an account for a single thread. But nevermind.

• a little muffled

CU is playing it, go on IRC and talk to him.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-06-30 01:46:45
    Round three results are up.  I placed.  Somehow.

• Right now I'm playing through Project X Zone.

It's a fun game, but the massive amount of characters makes it really hard to figure out what's going on. The animations are freakin' fantastic, though.

• edited 2013-07-01 05:18:46
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So, for those of you here who play or have played Eversion:

Do you know how the music used to be different?  The original freeware version of the game features three tracks from the NES game Cocoron.  Of course, they had to be taken out and replaced for the commercial Steam release.  And nowadays, if you download the most-recent low-res freeware version from the developer, it's also got the new (replaced) music.

HOW TO RESTORE THE ORIGINAL EVERSION/COCORON MUSIC

1. Find an old enough version of Eversion.

2. Use ModPlug to save the S3M files "title", "music1", and "goal" as WAV files.

3. Use Audacity and LAME MP3 encoder to export the WAV files to MP3 files.  Be sure to turn music1 into "song1".

4. Replace files in newer version of Eversion.

Alternatively, you can find an OST of Cocoron, extract the music by recording it (if necessary), use Audacity to turn the product into MP3s with the appropriate names, and replace the files in the game's data.

Unfortunately, this does not produce the Steam achievement that has to do with messing with Eversion's files.  But I DON'T CARE.  I WIN.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Update: So it turns out it's not exactly that simple.  ModPlug produces a little extra "tail" for some reason, for starters, so you need to edit that out using Audacity.  Though it's relatively simple; just highlight the part of the audio file's ribbon you don't want (make sure you zoom in and check exactly where the wave pattern that you don't want starts) and hit delete.

What's less simple is figuring out when to do it.  It's actually not that hard to make a satisfactory-sounding looping file in Audacity.  What is hard is to do so in the game itself.  You can copy the files into the game files, but I've found an annoying little "hiccup" right where the loop is -- it's never as smooth as the original, no matter how you cut the track in Audacity.  I was just now experimenting with a ton of tries on cutting title.mp3 to loop right, and I both undercut, just-right-cut, and overcut the title theme loop, but it just didn't work right, and the hiccup kept happening.

I wonder if there's a way to re-enable to game to look for "title.S3M" rather than "title.mp3".

• Yes, it is. Open up main.rb in a text editor. Ctrl+F for title.mp3, change to title.S3M, enjoy. 

Well, that worked.  Had to change the title one several times, and the goal one twice.  Thanks!

• Good news: Beat Final Boss Robotnik in Sonic 3 & Knuckles and finally got the last Emerald.

Bad news: Have to gather the Super Emeralds now. And I'm failing horribly.

• All Super Emeralds get.

:3

• Guys, Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014 has an unnecessary long title, not enough premade decks, and only two available slots for sealed decks unless you buy DLC. 

I don't care. Gonna max this shit out. 

• Why is it so hard to find non-SoTN Dracula art?

Probably because non-SotN Dracula art is like, generic Dracula vampire lord art, basically.

Actually, I have some non-SotN-style Dracula art (i.e. not curly-long-hair-mustache-and-beard Dracula) for you.  brb changing avatar

• They're somethin' else.

Pre Symphony art pretty much has Simon Belmont look like Conan, which I don't mind at all, but hey, Japanese demographics.

• Post-Symphony art was also pretty Conan-ish.

Don't forget the Judgement design that made him look like Conan and Light Yagami's lovechild!

I prefer Conan!Simon over redhead bishie Simon.

Trevor also has a hairband, canonically.

Is Sands of Destruction any good?

• There is love everywhere, I already know

It's pretty solid, but it's meant as a throwback to the old era of JRPGs so... actually I think it's a perfect fit for you! It's not innovative or anything, but solid and enjoyable (Moreso than Nostalgia at least).