If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I also have the 3DS version.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Just downed the Gobul, and yeah he wasn't TOO bad. At least he liked to stay in one place and let me get some solid hits in. Unlike the Royal Ludroth, who hopped/charged all over the place. I did have to burn through a full stack of Mega Potions though.

It also looks like I don't really need to craft anything from his carcass. So, I won't have to repeat that fight for a while.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Man the Bioshock Infinite Art Book is just beautiful. Especially nice that they didn't show stuff from the finished game players have already seen, but a lot of the steps along the way to getting the style and designs right. Like holy hell, they had like 200 designs for Elizabeth and were determined to get her just right. 

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

• Got a copy of Monster Hunter for 3DS yesterday.

"SO TASTY!"
  • Forzare: Yeah, I feel exactly like that.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So I was thinking more about how likely it looks that the next Xbox will be always-online, and...it occurs to me that there's one more problem that I haven't heard mentioned much. What happens when the next generation starts, if you want to play a game from the 720/361/whatever? Wouldn't your system just be a permanent brick after that point?

• Publishers want that though.  It means people have to keep buying the same games over and over again every time a new console comes out.

• edited 2013-04-08 22:42:35
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I know this is highly unlikely, but they might pull a Sony, and try to make this system last.

Good luck with that Microsoft. They are losing the battle to Sony and Nintendo in the system department, and the many not good looking things, such as the always-online, and the horrible horrible system that is Xbox Live when compared to the far superior in every way Playstation Plus.

^ Or that. How long was it when the servers for the original Xbox were turned off after the 360?

• Even worse, an always-online Xbox wouldn't be playable in like a third of America as-is.  Hard enough to get cell reception in a lot of places, much less reliable bandwidth.

Publishers want that though.  It means people have to keep buying the same games over and over again every time a new console comes out.

This is very true, but when you're trying to ensure this by making your system objectively worse than your competitor's, I don't know how successful the strategy would be.

Even worse, an always-online Xbox wouldn't be playable in like a third of America as-is.

Yeah, that's far worse, but I was trying to raise one of the concerns that's less talked-about.

• edited 2013-04-08 22:51:13
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Wait, has it been confirmed that when they say "Always online" that means you will need an internet connection to use the service and play the games? Or that there is no way to turn off the internet connection?

There is honestly nothing drawing me to the new Xbox.

They haven't confirmed that it's always online yet.

But a guy who would know went on a Twitter rant that seemed to be under the assumption that it was, so it looks like it will be.

Anyway, as to your question, it means that if your internet goes out, the system will shut off.

Honestly, what are even the draws or benefits of such a system?

Hasn't anyone learned from Sim City already?

what are even the draws or benefits of such a system

You can't pirate games on it, and they can make a lot of money from ad revenue.

Oh! Did you mean benefits for the consumer?

Yeah, those don't exist.

No, I meant Microsoft. On second thought, those should have been obvious to me.

Like, I can't even think of a LIE you could tell the consumer. Like, is it honestly supposed to be me, as an average, non-nerd casual gamer going in to buy a system for me and my family and seeing "ALWAYS ONLINE." and going "WOW, that's AWESOME. It's not like I sometimes have internet and phone troubles like every other person on the planet with internet, and it isn't like I prefer not having to be slave to such a spotty connection or anything"

It literally has NO benefits for the gameplayer, to the point where this Adam guy doing these tweets couldn't even say a reason why it's a good thing. The only thing he could say was "If I don't have good phone service, I wouldn't buy a mobile phone" which is down right IDIOTIC. I don't have very good internet. With downloads, I average about 110 kb/s, and we are sometimes prone to problems because of the way the wires are set up outside.

Does that mean I'm not going to use the internet? Nooooo because this is 2013 and you need internet. But to create a system where you need it all the time? Horrible.

I'm just glad a majority of people see this as a bad thing, so it hopefully won't be a trend for the future.

I would only be okay with it in about 50 years when internet is much better everywhere, and things are all high-tech and cool. And even then, systems shouldn't be made so that they NEED to be online.

Just read the recent IGN article. The latest rumors from Kotaku are that, if the internet is out for 3 minutes, the system will enter a network troubleshoot mode, and you can't do anything else but fix it or turn it off.

I would only be okay with it in about 50 years when internet is much better everywhere

I wouldn't. I wouldn't be okay with it in 100 years. It is a specifically implemented feature which cannot have any benefit under any circumstances.

I guess it is one of those things that creates a fake solution to a non-problem.

I worded that weird, but I think you know what I mean.

• edited 2013-04-08 23:17:53

No.  It's not a solution to any problem, existent or not.  At least for the consumer.  But for the publishers it is more or less a solution to an actual problem.

What actual problem?

Piracy.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

But a guy who would know went on a Twitter rant that seemed to be under the assumption that it was, so it looks like it will be.

Not necessarily; he could have gone on an angry rant just because.  I know I do that sometimes, staking out positions that I don't really hold all that dearly just for the sake of being able to lob verbal grenades at people.

So, playing through Potatoman Seeks the Troof changes the beginning slightly.

Playing through it again changes the beginning slightly more, in the same way but now repeated.

I wonder what happens if i play through the game enough times.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Okay, I now have three guest passes for Red Orchestra 2, plus two passes each for Red Orchestra 1 and Killing Floor. Anyone interested? (Of course, you'll have to add me on Steam if you haven't already.)

• Kichigai birthday!!
    This year's E3 will be good. Sony will actually show the PS4, Nintendo will have Smash Bros and a bunch of other great games, and Microsoft will be great comic relief
  • edited 2013-04-09 07:18:12

Bastion was going really great until every challenge and enemy stopped being difficult and just started being annoying as shit with a fake difficulty label slapped on.

This stupid little Potatoman game is turning out to be more fun than I expected.

Now that I said it I'll promptly become bored of it.

• You can change. You can.

Bastion was going really great until every challenge and enemy stopped being difficult and just started being annoying as shit with a fake difficulty label slapped on.

i beg your pardon

do you even use your revolvers properly kid

• But you never had any to begin with.

All machete, all the time.