If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I just now found out that the Energy Breaker translation has been completed!

Gotta love what Myra does in this vid.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Speaking of video games that have been disappointing me recently. I really, really wanted to like Sonic Generations. I did, I thought it had a promising premise and revisiting levels from some of the older games is an interesting concept. Unfortunately while there are good parts to the game, a lot of it is just really fucking tedious, and if there is something that a Sonic game should absolutely not be, it's tedious. It also has a lot of the weird physics issues that a number of the 3D Sonic games from Adventure on often struggled with, but were mercifully absent in Colors, which makes me question their return here.

Interestingly, the issues are best exemplified by a rival battle with the franchise's least interesting character (Shadow) and a revisit of a level from its worst game (Crisis City from Sonic '06).

• I'm done with Bioshock Infinite.

While I had been spoiled to its ending and the twist near the end and did have some reservations as to how it would turn out, now that I've actually seen it, I've seen that those selfsame reservations are unfounded. 

Naturally, this is going on my shelf as one of my favorite games ever.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

professionally developed and released game

Antichamber was not professionally developed. It had one guy making it, and I think maybe another guy did the music.

That said, it's a puzzle game. I get that it isn't ideal, but I'm not seeing how the game's completely unplayable even if you're left-handed. Just move the mouse over to the right. You're not going to have to make a bunch of precise movements or anything.

• Dude, I'm left-handed, but I rarely go for the left-handed option for the most part. The most trouble I had was with Kid Icarus Uprising, but it was mostly the handcramps that people always seem to get when they play it.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

this is why every game should use console controls that are completely remappable

• But you never had any to begin with.

I've never actually seen someone use a mouse in their left hand.

• edited 2013-03-29 15:52:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Sometimes I want to.  If it were easier to remap the stuff around WASD controls to be around the arrow keys, I might have done that long ago.

Ironically I use "left-handed" controls when I play console-style games on computer, because arrow keys on the right.  I actually mirror-flip the four buttons of the SNES for my left hand to use.

• this is why every game should use console controls that are completely remappable

But consoles don't generally have symmetrical controllers, so that still wouldn't solve the problem.

Sometimes I want to.  If it were easier to remap the stuff around WASD controls to be around the arrow keys, I might have done that long ago.

Why would you even use the arrow keys in the first place?  Why not just PL:"?

• edited 2013-03-29 16:17:47
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Because I've been using arrow keys since the MS-DOS/Windows 3.1 days.

And any controller that doesn't do analog sticks or motion controls can be easily remapped to the keyboard.  For me at least.

So here's my setup for an SNES controller (the most typical style):

arrow keys = d-pad

W = X

A = A

S = B

D = Y

Q = L

E = R

space = select

enter = start

For an NES controller, arrow keys and space/enter stay the same, while Z is A and X is B.  If there are turbos, A is turbo A and S is turbo B.

Same for a GBA controller except A is L and S is R.

Basically, it's a format adapted from old DOS games which used arrow keys and Ctrl and Alt for jump and attack/action.  The enter key for start is very common for those.  The space bar also usually does something.

When playing FFVI I had to define separate keys for the diagonal directions to operate Sabin's Blitzes so i used the ring IOL.,MJU for that, I think.

• You can change. You can.
    Man i saw a copy of bioshock infinite with the original bioshock for 60 bucks.

So much want.

Speaking of which, I got a copy of XCOM: Enemy Unknown with my Bioshock Infinite preorder. Already had it. Anyone want?

• I've noticed that I play platform games and shmups much better while laying down on a bed (with a laptop).

Sure. I can't actually get on Steam right now, but I use the same name on there if you want to add me.

• edited 2013-03-29 18:24:16
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

That said, it's a puzzle game. I get that it isn't ideal, but I'm not seeing how the game's completely unplayable even if you're left-handed. Just move the mouse over to the right. You're not going to have to make a bunch of precise movements or anything.

I tried this. Fell into one of the pits with the spring-thingie in it and couldn't get out because I couldn't time my jumps well enough.

You have to understand it's not just a matter of using my left hand for the mouse, I usually completely remap the controls for every game I play.

Generally, I prefer to use the numpad to move, Numpad 0 to jump, and if there's a crouch, use Numpad+ for it.

Playing any other way is uncomfortable in ways I really cannot describe adequately. Suffice it to say it absolutely makes the game unplayable. I have problems in my right hand that make it unsuitable for controlling a mouse. I'm not going to go into detail, but, yeah.

The only thing I've yet to try is using JoyToKey to make it work with a controller, which would be far from ideal, but would at least work.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Finished Virtue's Last Reward.

Fuck.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Now wait for the sequel!

• edited 2013-03-29 20:45:34
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I've been playing Bioshock Infinite, and so far, I really really like it.  Right now, I'm looking for the gunmaker in Finktown.  I haven't gotten to anything super mindblowing yet, but I've got a reallly good feeling about it.

If nothing else, there's obviously something super spoilery about the death mechanic, but hell if I know what that is.  

Spoiler:
    I did notice that the door Booker walks through when you respawn looks like the same office door that shows up after being baptized and after falling from Elizabeth's tower, and that the effect is a whole lot like looking through a tear.  So does that mean he died both times (by drowning, coincidentally or not) or that something other than death is going on here?

These are rhetorical questions, do not tell me.

Elizabeth is great, so far.  Really like her, and Booker is more interesting than I expected.

I wish I'd been looking at a guide so I could pick up all the audio logs as I go, though.

Finished Virtue's Last Reward.

Fuck.

• Let me just say that everything works through time-fuckery.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

is that

tainted love

on a gramophone 

• You can change. You can.

For VLR, the biggest shocker for me was probably the fact that not only was Sigma Zero, but he was also in his 60-something year old body the whole time. Looking back on it, there are so many references to him being old and I didn't catch a single one.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I didn't play the first game but since I don't have a decent grasp of Japanese anyways I'm getting really hyped up for this. Especially since it looks so good (Plus idol class and Miku Hatsune OP).

• edited 2013-03-30 19:07:47
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Was there really any question about that, after all the setup in VLR? Good to have confirmation, I guess.

Well, that depends, Forzare.

Do they mean set after the events of VLR, or it takes place before it.

• edited 2013-03-31 08:44:57
    Kichigai birthday!!

Fug :DDD

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I remember that somebody here was interested in a good horror game that was not Slenderman, but I'm too lazy to dig up the thread.

I read a very positive review of Dream of the Blood Moon in a computer magazine, and it's free, too.

• They're somethin' else.

Oh Ninja Theory. u so faahknee