If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I read something about issue #700 in today's newspapers. It's... unexpected, and a huge spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Peter is killed by Otto Octavius, who takes his body, somehow has an epiphany and becomes the next Spiderman

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

That is pretty well-known at this point. We've been discussing it for half of this page.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Well, damn.

Guess it's my fault for not paying attention.

• You can change. You can.

Also, considering it was foreshadowed to hell and back, I wouldn't say it was unspoiled.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Ironweaver - well the epiphany was mostly from Peter using his dying breathes to psychically guilt trip him so the world still has a Spider-man. Comics everybody.

So, read the Ends of the Earth epilogue, as well as the Lizard arc. This is a dark period for Peter, but both were good stories. This is actually the first I've seen of The Lizard, because I haven't seen the movie yet.

CU, if you want another good Lizard story (that coincidentally has Spider-man going through hell again) check out the Shed arc (issues #629-633 and Web of Spider-man #6). It shows us how the Lizard got to the point he was when you saw him in No Turning Back

Also worth checking out right now is Thor: God of Thunder. Thor is on a quest to stop this guy who is killing gods at three points in his life. 

I already have way too many comics I need to read just to catch up on series I follow.

It's in four issues thus far.

Also, Wolverine and the X-men this week was amazing. We have the X-men just feeling incredibly embarrassed that they were brainwashed (again!) and are forced to fight an circus of zombie clowns and Frankenstein. 

Caught up on Daredevil. Good arc, and it looks like next up is a tie-in with Superior Spider-Man. Looking forward to that.

Well, for what is worth, CU, soon you'll reach the Marvel NOW period of it all and get to choose and drop a lot of series. which is nice and also sad when you realize you have to drop Parker's Thunderbolts

Okay, read the last arc of Amazing Spider-Man and Avenging Spider-Man 15.1. That'll have to do as far as catching up goes with Spider-Man for the moment.

Anyway, having read everything relevant, my view on Superior Spider-Man...blatant publicity stunt, executed extremely well.

Caught up on Sword of Sorcery.

OHMYGOD THE BACKUP TIES INTO ANIMAL MAN

AND THE MAIN PLOT TIES INTO DEMON KNIGHTS 

• @Malk: I've always subscribed to the whole "Three years of real time = 1 year of comic time" thing. There's a handful of problems with it, but it generally works out.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^Even then Spider-man would have to be around 45-50 and there's no way the comic portrays him as that old.

• Nooo, Peter became Spider-Man when he was 15, my count has him at like 31.

Ah for some reason I only halved the math. It's still something that leads to a lot of confusion and I'd prefer if we just decided they were effectively immortal.

Also, if anyone cares here are my thoughts on Superior Spider-man.

Relevant to the current talk about ages. 

So I just want to make it clear that the latest issue of Batman is the most metal issue of Batman since that time Batman punched out an immortal samurai as he cowered in a corner, scared like a child. 

I want to read it now, but I have to work and stuff today :c
  • I thought the most metal issue of Batman was the time he judged and shot the Absence in the Shape of God?

Final Crisis 6 is not technically an issue of Batman.

Yeah this Batman issue is the pick of the week for me. Hell, it's the pick of the year so far, with 11 more months for something to try to top it. But no spoiler version - it's like a speed run of Arkham Asylum(the comic, with bits of the vidya) set heavy metal music.

Also favorite part of New Avengers - Reed and T'Chall are total bros and T'Chall seems to be the one person who still remembers Namor committed genocide and wants to make him pay.

Daredevil - Thank god for Stilt-man. That is all.

Saga is fantastic as always. Avenging Spider-man was fun enough and a return to one shot adventures over epilogue duty. Captain Marvel is a nice domestic comic(don't worry, dinosaurs still attack).

• New Avengers - Reed and T'Chall are total bros and T'Chall seems to be the one person who still remembers Namor committed genocide and wants to make him pay.

Yeah, I was wondering if they were going to do anything about that. Because the last time millions of people died, Odin waved his hand and they weren't dead no more.

Demon Knights: oh goddamn it an i vampire tie-in. Otherwise, quite good, though.l

Daredevil: Thank god for Stilt-man. Otherwise...well, the only real lasting plotline is revealed in the last panel. It seems a bit soap-opera-ey, but...well, we'll see how it goes. This comic has been excellent thus far.

Avenging Spider-Man: Ooh, followup on the dangling Spider Island plot threads. Very nice.

Batman: ...wow.

I still chuckle at "I was eight. It decided on justice"

• So... I was browsing /co/ when I suddenly saw a thread about this new Avengers thing... As you might know, I'm not that much of a comicbook person, but since this is apparently a new thing, I'm somehow familiar with most of the characters and someone dumped the first two chapters right there, I decided to give it a try.

It's been enjoyable so far, I like high stakes and people sitting around talking... I assume that, due to the nature of the premise, the heroes of at least one reality have to succeed on stopping this thing, but the good thing is that it doesn't need to be these ones (right?), making it possible for the story to create tension.

One thing that's been bothering me, though, and this might've been explained on other comics, but... If Black Panther was already too much of a "moralfag" for this organization thingy, why the hell did they invite Captain America of all people?

From what I can tell, Cap came part and parcel with the rest of the old Illuminati. Which makes no sense for him to be in that group. The Illuminati are a bunch of geniuses and kings( and a bunch of rich white dudes) committed to protecting the world in secret. Steve is a soldier and has no place in that group except maybe as a conscious for the rest of them.

That and the only one of them T'Challa is on good terms with is Reed.
  • edited 2013-01-19 20:46:40
    You can change. You can.
    One thing that's been bothering me, though, and this might've been explained on other comics, but... If Black Panther was already too much of a "moralfag" for this organization thingy, why the hell did they invite Captain America of all people?

Apparently Cap did try to get the gang back together during the Avengers/X-Men war, which could either mean that it isn't a matter of invitation so much as as a matter of him knowing about it and that he's obviously not going to let people like Namor or Reed Richards meet in a dark room and discuss the fate of the world or they let him join because of his status as Chief of National Security (And let's face it, if he's CNS of America, that means he does deal in some shady shit anyway :P).

I assume that, due to the nature of the premise, the heroes of at least one reality have to succeed on stopping this thing, but the good thing is that it doesn't need to be these ones (right?), making it possible for the story to create tension.

Err, I'd say that Earth 616 has to survive if only because most if not all Marvel stories are happening there. The real tension comes from the fact that most of these people are morally upstanding heroes. Or at least, they're not the sort of people who are that keen on the whole "Blowing up another planet" plan. So thus, you have them at the end of the ropes, which I like. 

But yeah, I'd say Hickman is doing a bang-up job with these Avengers fellas. 

I think I've stated before that if you go into a book like New Avengers thinking it will end with universe ending, you really need to rethink how you're approaching fiction.

• It's not that I think the universe will end, but rather that the book managed to make the threat "believable" enough to suspend my disbelief.