If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Steam Winter Sale 2012

Comments

• edited 2012-12-28 20:55:06
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Okay, maybe I'm counting combat and walking between places together, but nevertheless.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

75% is a push. I'd say that's accurate for the final chapter of the game, when everything reaches its climax, but the rest of the game has too much moving about in "safe" areas (or at least areas that are contextually safe) to reach that kind of intensity.

I'm counting walking around as well. Like I said. Walking around which doesn't add to the narrative and is just annoying.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

If you count walking around time, then that would include walking around in potentially safe areas as part of "combat", whether you actually run into baddies or not. So I don't think it's fair to count that, especially if your goal at the time wasn't combat-oriented by information-oriented.  

In any case, I don't think The Witcher's walking-around-stuff is any more or less annoying than what's in other games. 

• edited 2012-12-28 21:07:34
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

then that would include walking around in potentially safe areas as part of "combat"

No, it would count it as "mindless padding between the good bits."

I don't think The Witcher's walking-around-stuff is any more or less annoying than what's in other games. 

Oh, don't think I'm letting other games off the hook. TOR is the king of mindless padding.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

If you count walking around time, then that would include walking around in potentially safe areas as part of "combat", whether you actually run into baddies or not. So I don't think it's fair to count that, especially if your goal at the time wasn't combat-oriented by information-oriented.  

pretty much this:

No, it would count it as "mindless padding between the good bits."

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I guess this is a good opportunity to discuss why we even have that walking around stuff in the first place, outside the context of The Witcher. I mean, it's obvious why we have it in context of action, puzzle-solving, exploration and whatnot. But there are also games that use menus to move you between different places, which would seem like the optimal solution if your goal is to simply move the player from one point of interest to another quickly and efficiently. 

A lot of games use this menu method outside of their core gameplay sequences as a catch-all management tool for the player, and it works well in terms of keeping things neat, accessible and above all, moving. But I often find myself wondering what these places are actually like as a whole, which is the information navigational menus inherently lack. The advantage of not using a menu and making the player walk everywhere, I think, is actually narrative. Not in terms of linear plot, characterisation or anything, but in terms of describing the world to the player and giving them a sense of space within its more domestic confines. The Witcher certainly isn't the best at this; that award probably goes to The Legend Of Zelda, which imbues its towns and villages with overflowing character. 

I mean, think about how different it would be to play any Zelda game without the capacity to walk freely and at will between points of interest in its civilian population centres. You'd lose a lot when it comes to frame of reference, at the very least, but it's often a pleasure to simply observe the society around you and all the enigmas you stumble across. 

So yeah, I do feel you when it comes to the tedium of walking about. It's probably one of the toughest (if not the toughest) things to balance when it comes to an overall game experience. But it does exist for good reason, and a game that nails keeping a state of player interest while they're simply walking about in a town has done well for itself. 

• HEY GMH GUESS WHAT'S ON SALE NOW :3

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Daily Deals for December 29th, 2012:

• Galactic Civilizations Franchise 75% off

• Elder Scrolls Franchise 50-75% off

• The Witcher Franchise 75% off

• Bioshock Franchise 75% off

• Payday: The Heist 75% off

• Grand Theft Auto Franchise 75% off

Flash Sales:

• Transformers Franchise 50-75% off

• Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers 50% off

• Carpe Fulgur Franchise 75% off

• Sonic Franchise 50-77% off

• Portal Bundle 75% off

• X Superbox 75% off

• Chivalry: Medieval Warfare 50% off

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I haven't gotten much this sale. So far it's just They Bleed Pixels and War for Cybertron, I think.
  • A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

• Elder Scrolls Franchise 50-75% off

Great. Just a few days after I paid full price to finally have my own copy of Skyrim.

1. Thou shalt ONLY buy daily and flash deals except on the final day.

WHY DOES NO ONE EVER LISTEN.

• edited 2012-12-29 18:51:39
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Well, at least I can get Morrowind and Oblivion (neither of which I've ever played before, at all) on the cheap today...

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

HEY GMH GUESS WHAT'S ON SALE NOW :3

Carpe Fulgur Franchise 75% off

NOOOOOOOOO

I MISSED IT

IT ENDED AT 5 PM

I WAS OUT THE ENTIRE DAY

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WHAT AM I SPENDING FOOOOOOOR

Elder Scrolls Franchise 50-75% off

Didn't they just do this a few days ago?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^That was a flash sale.

^^Given that it WAS a flash sale, it might come up again as a Daily Deal later.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Ugh. I'm just gonna play some 1, 2, 3, Kick It to try and cheer myself up.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

And I'm going to FINALLY start Binding of Isaac since everyone keeps saying it's so great.

Also I'm gonna play Jade Empire

• edited 2012-12-29 19:46:58
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^Given that it WAS a flash sale, it might come up again as a Daily Deal later.

There is this, though:

SpaceDrake from Carpe Fulgur LLC: Another sale like this won't be coming for a while!

I'm not getting my hopes up.  But do tell me if it does go -75% again.

Okay Painkiller is basically Serious Sam + Devil May Cry and I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone whole likes those even a little bit. 

Dangit, Steam, now I have to decide once again whether to buy Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion Deluxe.

As opposed to regular, or just in general?

In general.

• edited 2012-12-30 00:50:53
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Eh. Both have Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles, you're not really missing much with just the GOTY edition.

No, we're trying to convince him to buy Oblivion at all, and the Deluxe Edition is his edition of choice if he does, I think.

• If you think it'll be fun and you'll actually play it, then buy it.  Otherwise don't.

Since you never actually get around to playing any of your games, it's probably a waste of money.

Daily Deals for December 30th, 2012:

• Orcs Must Die! Franchise 75% off

• Mount & Blade Franchise 75% off

• FarCry Franchise 25-75% off

• DOOM Franchise 50-75% off

• Mark of the Ninja 50% off

• Age of Empires III: Complete Collection 75% off

Flash Sales:

• Devil May Cry 4 66% off

• 3DMark Vantage 75% off

• Trine Complete Collection 75% off

• Worms Revolution 50% off

• Anno 2070 60% off

• Plants vs. Zombies GOTY 75% off

• Mass Effect 2 75% off

Normally I try to stay objective with listing sales but, seriously, do not buy DOOM 3.

• Quick Mount and Blade question, which version should I get. 

Warband.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

seriously, do not buy DOOM 3.

I had fun with Doom 3.  And it's only 2.50, which isn't a huge investment.

• The 2.50 DOOM 3 is fine, DOOM 3: BFG is not.