If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2012-12-19 12:22:50
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Ah, that makes sense.  Though I'd still like to figure out why people would like playing these games in the first place.  Maybe they actually play on a more regular basis and thus have a bigger social reason to return to and invest in the game?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I would assume so.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

GoG.com is having an "End of the World" sale. With Steam sale levels of variety.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

HOLY SHIT

...oh crap, I have to get ALL the games in a bundle to get the full savings.

Hey, does anyone want these games?

* Mutant Mudds

* Snapshot

* Capsized

* The Ball

* Unmechanical

* Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers

* Puddle

* Incredipede

* Deus Ex: GOTY Edition

* Deus Ex 2: Invisible War

* Anachronox

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    Huh. Dragon Nest has way more class choices than I originally thought.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

You can get in? I'm stuck at account verification, probably because of the influx of Steam users. 

Oh lol its still downloading. I'm just looking on the wiki. At level 15, every class can pick between two subclasses that go in completely different direction.

I'm think of going Archer > Acrobat > Windwalker.

What would y'all think of the Eden Eternal way of doing skill classes--that is, you can switch between them anytime?

^^ To no-one's surprise, I'll be going Warrior > Swordsman.

^ As a rule of thumb, I'm fond of versatile class systems (right up to not having classes at all, and having a free-build system instead). While classes are mechanically useful for separating players and NPC combatants into different tactical roles, there's such a thing as classes-for-classes-sake. The same thing can also be accomplished with well-implemented free-build systems. 

Huh. War of the Roses is downloading a giant 4GB update for me. I wonder what this is about.

New maps, I'd wager. 

La-Mulana is a good enough game that it's practically throw-money-at-the-screen for me.

I've got three ways to buy La-Mulana.  Which one(s) should I use?

A: Groupees Build-a-Greenlight Bundle

advantages:

• cheapest way to get La-Mulana, at just $5.74 for the whole bundle (and less if you buy fewer games)

• get it on Desura too (along with DRM-free direct download)

• comes with the full three-part soundtrack, which is AMAZING!

disadvantages:

• not really that interested (yet) in any of the other games

• least amount of money goes to devs (compared to alternatives)

B: GOG Jumpin' Indie Action Bundle

advantages:

• likely more money going to devs

• comes with Giana Sisters!

• includes Snapshot, making the current Humble Indie Bundle even more irrelevant

disadvantages:

• much more expensive, at $14.95

• still not much money going to devs

• no La-Mulana soundtrack

• I already have Mutant Mudds

• not really that interested (yet) in any of the other games

• (not on Desura, minor issue)

C: same as B, but just buy La-Mulana (and maybe Giana Sisters separately)

advantages:

• developer gets most money

• can come with Giana Sisters for roughly the same price as B

disadvantages:

• the least cost-efficient (costs $7.49 by itself; in combo with Giana Sisters it's $16.48, the highest cost)

• no soundtrack

• (not on Desura, minor issue)

• edited 2012-12-19 16:27:36
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

If I get A, C becomes a bit pointless (or I just buy Giana Sisters separately).  I could still get B along with A, which gives me the greatest bang for my bucks (including La-Mulana and soundtrack) though that's more costly than any option by itself, and so I have to weigh that against the fact that I might not be interested in the bundled games so the rest would be a dead weight loss (though not a deadweight loss in economic terms).

I should just check out those bundled games.

I already know what one of them is.  Eryi's Action is basically a spiritual successor to Syobon Action, a.k.a. Cat Mario--it's made by the same people, and has the same sorts of hilariously devious traps.  That's probably a confirmed part of the BAGB if I get it, if only for the fact that I know what it is.

Oozi and Private Infiltrator seem interesting.  I know Oozi was once in an Indie Royale bundle.

Does anyone know if game devs get charged by Steam for distributing Steam keys when they buy them or only when they're actually redeemed?

If the former, then I should feel free to activate bundle games I have Steam keys for since I'm not giving them away anyway.  If the latter I should wait.

Well, actually, then that just means I should just get off my ass and set up an alternate Steam account for price-tracking of games and the hell with my huge-ass wishlist.

And I'll stop monologuing now.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

^ LOL, APOCALYPSE

• My wallet-anus is ready.

The thread is locked and loaded. Get frosty.

• IJBM: all the MMOs on Steam

Nowhere near as bad as Kongregate got this past year.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

That said, all the Australian IJBMers should get this and we can, like, be a moe JRPGish fantasy merc company or whatever. 

Eh. I looked at it once, but I wasn't particularly excited, so fuck that.

Been playing Dragon Nest for about 2-3 hours. My thoughts?

Wow. Much better than expected.

In depth:

* Polished game, but it is Nexus

* Wow, 4 full servers and 1 Busy one

* Cutesy art, but you get used to it.

* Good music

* The dialogue, if you actually read it, is pretty hilarious, especially your character.

* Combat is pretty fun so far. But I picked Archer. It really is real-time.

So far? Fun.

Still can't verify my account. :|

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I will wait for people to convince me that it doesn't have a bunch of cool-looking-for-no-particular-reason attacks just because before I consider playing it.

> plays TOR

:3c 

Which does not make any pretense of being a monster-hunting action game like Monster Hunter.

• But everything in Monster Hunter is cool looking for no particular reason.

Not nearly to the extent shown in the trailers for this game.

• edited 2012-12-19 21:26:02
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Monster Hunter's ridiculous amount of stupid-cool probably exceeds Dragon's Den. I made a sword out of dinosaurs, for instance, and it was bigger than myself. So then I made a sword out of amphibians, and it was still bigger than myself. 

The other thing is that non-functional coolness is pretty much standard protocol for MMOs of all kinds. Since they're based on timers and generalised distances rather than hitboxes, geometry and fine timing, they tend to indulge in cool-for-cool's sake. 

Everything I hear makes me want to play it less :|

It may be a stupid reason, but whatever. Still really unenthused about the game.

What I'm saying here is that while the attacks and so on might be less functional than flashy, they could just as easily be designed with their geometric features in mind to actually deliver some decent combat design. Which would be a first for MMOs.