If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

yes

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

well then fuck u

I won't share my headphones. >:x 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

i have my own headphones

with a microphone and everything

so screw you i dont even want your headphones

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

but my headphones are the best headphones

cuz they've got headphones written on them.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    I'll get The Secret World anyway despite Nova's opinion, because I love Embric.

And they are still working on a sequel Lazuli.

I didn't claim The Secret World was a bad game, I just didn't like it.

It's the opposite for Embric; I liked it, it just wasn't a great game.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

As another example, I thought Alien vs. Predator 2010 was neat because it had really thematic Alien mechanics and stuff. This is only really a 5/10 or 6/10 game by objective standards, but I personally like Alien-related stuff and it nailed being an Alien. In general the plot and characters were weak as hell, balance was borked and the maps were pretty average, the game's redeeming features being its core gameplay and game assets. 

This is really an average game overall, but I like it much more than other 5/10 or 6/10 games because appeals to me personally. 

• But you never had any to begin with.

On the note of Dragon Quest, I've been playing through DQ VII recently. Whilst it's a good game, it's got the pacing of a glacier. The other problem is that it's a chief example of Enix thinking their players were psychics. Currently up to Dharma Temple, at any rate.

• Yeah, I remember that when I played it, I really enjoyed it... up until the point where the game never told me what I needed to do next and even after I searched seemingly the whole world I couldn't find out how to proceed.  And I wasn't even very far in the game...

I wonder if the 3DS remake will ever come out in the US.

Nice segue, Alex ;3

I would've chosen one about knights and swords, but all the games I like that contain those things are legitimately brilliant. :>

• edited 2012-12-19 08:31:31

This is really an average game overall, but I like it much more than other 5/10 or 6/10 games because appeals to me personally.

This is a very common thing.

I don't know if I'd call it a 5/10 or 6/10, but the PS2 Shinobi is like that for me. It's got plenty of pretty glaring flaws and a typical action game nonexistent story (without any of the campy charm of DMC), but there isn't any other game which does the super-dynamic action platformer gameplay in a 3D environment as well this one, and that makes me love it much more than I probably should.

... being able to run on the walls, go all "you're already dead" on enemies and having a 2 meter long scarf might've also had an effect on my judgement.

• edited 2012-12-19 08:33:13

The War Z is a hilariously bad piece of shit, Steam Greenlight is forever damned for upvoting that piece of garbage, zombie literature has had its day and needs to die (lol), and the internet-as-revenue-machine is a load of total horse manure no matter what anyone tells you. THANK YOU, FUCK YOU, GOOD NIGHT!

and the internet-as-revenue-machine is a load of total horse garbage no matter what anyone tells you

Hm?

I was about to get The War Z because it seemed somewhat interested (And I have never played Day Z), but then I saw how much people hated it.

I remember going to the ign review for it, and the most popular upvoted comment (somewhere around 1500 upvotes) was

"The best thing about the game is that they gave me a refund."

So I'm getting Dragon Nest on Steam, which is free. It kinda looks like Monster Hunter as an MMO, although I'm basically going through with this on a gut feeling. Apparently it has real-time combat and combos and stuff. Cool beans. 

• edited 2012-12-19 11:33:19
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Alex, we should play together. I'm trying it out for the first time too. I'm going in on a gut feeling too.

"MMO with real-time combat and combos? I'm in."

• You can change. You can.

Speaking of a really average game I love, I'm actually quite fond The Matrix: Path of Neo. Mostly because it was a better Superman game than most Superman games. (Well, with guns, but you get my meaning.)

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

IJBM: all the MMOs on Steam

Explain, GMH.

Alex, we should play together. I'm trying it out for the first time too. I'm going in on a gut feeling too.

"MMO with real-time combat and combos? I'm in."

I'm hypothetically up for that, except I'd have to play on an American sever in a real-time MMO.

• edited 2012-12-19 11:42:37
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Why is that a problem? Connection issues?

Oh, yeah, you live in a place that isn't America. Weirdo.

That said, all the Australian IJBMers should get this and we can, like, be a moe JRPGish fantasy merc company or whatever. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

That sounds like a hilariously bad idea.  What game is this again?

@Saturn: I don't know, really.  It's like Steam transitioning from a platform for digital sales of games to a glorified advertisement platform for games that are f2p anyway.  I think there's maybe one non-f2p MMO on Steam, that being Star Wars: the Old Republic.  Even EVE Online is f2p.  Correct me if I'm wrong; I'm not sure.

Then again, it does lead MMO companies to more revenues...

In other news, I actually don't understand how mobile/iOS games and MMOs and f2p games are so profitable.  I'm very disinclined to spend money on this stuff.  The only money I've spent on a f2p game is TF2, for which I've spent a total of $0.93, of which Steam has gotten $0.54.  (This is one $0.49 item from the store and one $0.39 item in the marketplace plus $0.05 for Steam transaction fees.)

I'm very disinclined to spend money on an f2p game since I can't play it forever.  It's like, yeah, I can buy leveling-up equiment, or a cool costume to show off in-game, or whatever.  But just like five years later, everyone will lose interest in the game and the servers will be shut down and my purchases will be meaningless to me.

When I buy a game in a more traditional format, I have access to it for all time.  Or at least, I have the right to access it for all time.  Even if it's a digital download.  I can pick it up five, ten, twenty years from now, and I'll still be able to play the game and have the same experience.  And if I sink money into DLCs, I'll still have those DLCs twenty years later.

And on top of that, I don't even play that much--or at least, I don't play regularly, which makes it more difficult for me to do anything socially on them, and I'll just keep on playing them at random times with random people, if at all.

Can someone who is in US use an Australian server?

Presumably yes, but you'd likely suffer from the same problems in reverse. Depending on where you are, your ping would be between 200-350 on an Australian server, so you'd be behind everyone else by .2 to .35 of a second... which is considerable in a real-time action game. 

Mind you, if you want to play on the same server as me, be my guest. But I'm just warning you that you'll have a character locked into a connection context where you'll likely make the game more difficult for yourself. 

I AM A GOD.

TITAN BEGS TO KNEEL BENEATH MY HEEL.

DIFFICULTY IS NOT IN MY VOCABULARY.

YOU WOULD DO BEST TO KNOW YOUR PLACE, MORTAL.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I think there's maybe one non-f2p MMO on Steam, that being Star Wars: the Old Republic. 

TOR is both free-to-play and not on Steam.

• edited 2012-12-19 12:19:57
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ THERE'S A COG TELLING A SQUIRREL TO FUCK OFF; YOUR POINT IS INVALID

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

In other news, I actually don't understand how mobile/iOS games and MMOs and f2p games are so profitable.  I'm very disinclined to spend money on this stuff.

Well...you personally don't have to buy it for it to be profitable :P

Less sarcastic answer: once someone who regularly plays the game spends money on it, they become orders of magnitude more likely to spend again. So the minority people who do spend on these games generally spend a lot.