If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Steam Autumn Sale 2012

edited 2012-11-21 13:17:50 in General
Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Thanksgiving is nearing and so is the holiday shopping frenzy. And no frenzy is complete without a Steam sale!

Q. What is this?

Steam's annual Black Friday/Thanksgiving/Autumn/Whatever they're calling it now sale. This is usually not as big as their Winter or Summer sales, but you can still get all sorts of great deals on lots of games.

Q. When does it run?

From November 21st to November 27th.

Q. Any promotions or ARGs?

Valve is doing "Flash Deals", short sales that cycle every few hours, like they did in the Summer sale.

Q. What about other sites?

GOG.com has a "pick 5 games for $10" promotion going on. Gamefly is planning a Black Friday sale. And Green Man Gaming has assorted deals too.

Q. Any tips?

Yes, here:

FIVE COMMANDMENTS OF STEAM SALES

1. Thou shalt ONLY buy daily and flash deals except on the final day.
2. Thou shalt buy other games on sale ONLY on the final day of the sale.
3. Thou shalt join others in buying 4-packs for extra savings whenever possible.
4. Thou shalt budget spending by filling a Steam Wallet prior to the sale.
5. Thou shalt fail at following Commandment 4 anyway.

Comments

• edited 2012-11-26 14:59:30

Daily Deals for November 26th, 2012:

Counter Strike: Global Offensive 50% off

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings 75% off

Alan Wake Franchise 75% off

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 50% off

Castle Crashers 67% off

Legend of Grimrock 75% off

Indie Games:

Osmos 50% off

Zeno Clash 90% off

Hamlet 50% off

Shatter 50% off

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery 60% off

Ys Origin 50% off

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams 40% off

Closure 50% off

VVVVVV 50% off

Current Flash Sales:

Killing Floor 75% off

DiRT Showdown 66% off

Sniper Elite V2 75% off

Gran Theft Auto IV: Complete Collection 75% off

Crusader Kings II Collection 75% off

Tropico 4 80% off

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Highly recommending Terraria.

Also, XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Worth it? Y/N

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I haven't played it, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

• edited 2012-11-21 13:17:16

^^I've heard nothing but glowing praise for it, though it's still on the expensive side in my opinion.

In fairness, it just came out.

What the hell, I'll grab it.

Incidentally, "Autumn" is misspelled in the thread title and now I can't unnotice it >.>

• edited 2012-11-21 13:22:47

No it's not. <.<

Anyway, other current sales...

I'm probably supposed to recommend LIMBO because it's a dark indie platformer ninja robot, but while I did find it kind of effective, I'm not really sure it's worth any actual price -- it feels more like the sort of game that should be free on some flash game website.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Turns out that this sale has a separate page for indie games with its own rotating set of daily deals.

Updating the OP accordingly.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

FTL is still full price. Nuts. I'll see if I can catch Bastion or Dustforce on a flash sale.

• Champion of the Whales

Also, XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Worth it? Y/N

Not really, the original is better.

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Oh god, this is my first Steam sale I'm experiencing, and I have no idea how they work, and everything looks so tempting and aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I wouldn't even know where to get the original. It doesn't seem to be on GOG or anything.

• Champion of the Whales

Its called "XCOM:UFO Defense" since that was its international name and was called UFO:Enemy Unknown in Blighty.

Its on offer too

• edited 2012-11-21 15:28:12
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Oh, hey.

I honestly didn't bother checking Steam since GOG is generally a better bet with games that old >.>

Well, now I own both.

How so, to the point where it's not worth it, rather? Because I've seen even the most hardcore X-COM fanboys like this game, and the lead developer made absolutely sure that it lived up to its legacy.

• Champion of the Whales

How so, to the point where it's not worth it, rather?

what do you mean by that?

• edited 2012-11-21 15:42:41

I mean, what makes it bad enough to where it's not worth buying?

As I understand, it was originally made as a straight remake of UFO Defense, then tweaked to remove annoying or outdated game design choices while still keeping the original experience intact as much as possible.

• I'm going to keep an eye on Borderlands 2, that looks particularly appetizing.

• Champion of the Whales

I didn't like the stripped down geo and squad mechanics, and the amount number of squad people being 6.

• Apparently, Dark Souls will be $15 on Friday (I think in Amazon). I'm aware most of you already have it, but in case you didn't, I thought it was worth pointing out.

Daily Deals for November 22nd, 2012:

Sleeping Dogs 50% off

Max Payne 3 75% off

Portal 2 75% off

Awesomenauts 75% off

ARMA II: Combined Operations 50% off

Prototype 2 50% off

Indie Games:

Rock of Ages 76% off

Super Meat Boy 50% off

Hard Reset 50% off

Serious Sam 3L BFE 75% off

Frozen Synapse 50% off

Vessel 66% off

Turba 75% off

Democracy 2 50% off

Recettear 50% off

Current Flash Sales:

Dead Island 66% off

Train Simulator 2013 66%

RAGE 75% off

Company of Heroes 75% off

Of Orcs and Men 50% off

Gary's Mod 75% off

• edited 2012-11-22 14:31:03
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Let's see, what games on there do I want/not want and/or have comments on...

Portal 2 75% off

Not quite on the level of the original, but extremely good if anyone doesn't have it.

Prototype 2 50% off

Prototype needed a sequel, but from what I've seen of 2, it got the wrong sequel.

Super Meat Boy 50% off

I was really unimpressed by this one, TBH.

Recettear 50% off

Probably one of my favorite indie games. Anyone who doesn't have this, get it.

Dead Island 66% off

I'm still kind of pissed that this game met with success entirely because of a mostly-unrelated trailer.

RAGE 75% off

Apparently very pretty. Unfortunately, I hear that's the only interesting thing about it.

Of Orcs and Men 50% off

You know, I heard a lot about this game during its development, but now that it's out, I haven't heard about it. Anyone know anything about it?

• edited 2012-11-22 14:33:15

>

Apparently very pretty. Unfortunately, I hear that's the only interesting thing about it.

I heard it's a fun game, but ultimately it doesn't cover any new ground on consoles. The PC version is, ironically, a complete mess that they haven't fixed yet.

>

You know, I heard a lot about this game during its development, but now that it's out, I haven't heard about it. Anyone know anything about it?

I heard it was good, but very linear.

Well...probably too high-priced to buy it right now just off of what I've heard. Good luck to it, though, and maybe I'll see it again in a future sale.

• edited 2012-11-22 14:58:57
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

It's a shame my laptop can't run Portal 2. That game's tempted me for quite a while, especially now with that level editor.

Also, I just noticed that Rock of Ages is $2.39, so if I bought that I would have exactly $25 left. Hmm...

• edited 2012-11-22 15:49:51
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I missed getting Dear Esther!  Darn...oh well, time to wait until December.

I think I'll buy Chantelise at -50%; this is because I admit to helping someone pirate Recettear.

If the CF games drop to -75%, I might snatch a few copies just to give away.

I want to buy Terraria for friends but I already have the game so I can't buy the 4-pack.  But I know ninjaclown wants the game.  And for those of you who still hang out on TVT, so does Wanderlust Warrior.

Also, cross-posting this link: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13535279890A46920100&page=0

I think you can still get Dear Esther for free. It's one of those games things (more on that in a moment) that was released for free, then released with a price tag, and the developers somehow expect people to buy the version that costs money. Even more disturbingly, they seem to be correct.

And even independent of that, I've played walked through it. It's...not very impressive. It's basically a virtual museum exhibit. You walk from point A to B to C and get told stuff.

And for those of you who still hang out on TVT, so does Wanderlust Warrior

You should probably change the phrasing of that in the TVT version of the post :P

• edited 2012-11-22 15:56:48
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

derp

Where can I get Dear Esther for free?

(And I know about people releasing stuff for pay and for free simultaneously.  Happens sometimes with Game Music Bundle.  But I pay anyway because I like supporting videogame music.)

• Oh, god damn it, this sale came at the wrong time. There are quite a few games I want but I don't have the money for them.