If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Steam Autumn Sale 2012

Comments

• edited 2012-11-24 01:34:25
    Poot dispenser here

Eh, I like Borderlands because, even if most of the guns I find are crap, it's finding the super-cool ones that I end up keeping that I enjoy. My playstyle tends to morph based on what I carry around. Plus, the combat's nice.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Bought Elemental 1: Fallen Enchantress today. Dunno if it was part of this sale though.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

It was. It wasn't a daily deal or anything, but it's discounted.

• I feel like Torchlight is one of those games I would've enjoyed when I was on my Diablo II binge, but now I'm just completely burned out on the entire genre.

• edited 2012-11-25 12:09:00
    But you never had any to begin with.

EDIT: No longer relevant.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Daily Deals for November 24th, 2012:

Borderlands 2 50% off

Mark of the Ninja 50% off

Deus Ex: Human Revolution 75% off

F1 2012 50% off

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare 50% off

Total war: Shogun 2 66% off

Indie Games:

Jamestown 60% off

Costume Quest 50% off

Mr. Pixel 33% off

Botanicula 50% off

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad 50% off

Braid 50% off

SpaceChem 50% off

1...2...3...Kick it! Drop that Beat Like an Ugly Baby 0% off (?)

Altitude 75% off

Current Flash Sales:

Call of Duty: Black Ops 50% off

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission 50% off

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II 75% off

Mass Effect series 70% off

Hotline Miami 50% off

Fallen Enchantress 50% off

• A friend bought the Two Pack Portal 2 bundle and gifted me one. Nifty.

Fallen Enchantress 50% off

Nova is probably going to be pissed about that :/

• edited 2012-11-24 14:58:56
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well now apparently Steam will log in but doesn't have enough of a connection to even bring up my friends list.  Or sync with the Steam Cloud which means that goofing off on TF2 is not just nearly useless but completely useless now.

Steam is working fine here...what's your internet speed in general?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Speedtest estimates 1.14 Mbps down and 0.37 Mbps up.  I think it's basically 128 kB/s down and 48 kB/s up.

I don't normally have problems connecting to Steam from here.  I've had this speed at home for at least months.  Sure, I've been away at school recently but I've used Steam just fine with this connection speed before I left.

Hmmm...

You're probably in a more urban/modern area than I am, so there are probably more Steam users near you than near me. That's all I can think of, at least.

• edited 2012-11-24 15:13:59

I'm in the middle of Connecticut right now.

I'd be fine with connecting to a server farther away just to be able to access my friends list.  There are some people there I want to talk to.

Let me try picking a different download server in the settings.  Maybe that will affect the authentication and social networking services.

My friends list momentarily appeared...though missing the "Invitations Sent" category.  When I went to Google why that was missing...it went back offline.

• Try this, close out of steam. Go to where you installed steam. Delete ClientRegistry.blob and AppUpdateStats.blob. Restart steam. 

I just reconnected and my Invitations Sent category is still oddly missing.  Did everyone in that category really confirm already?  Maybe.

• edited 2012-11-24 15:39:53

My friends list momentarily appeared...though missing the "Invitations Sent" category.  When I went to Google why that was missing...it went back offline.

Does that category show up if you have no pending invitations? Because I accepted yours just now.

Edit: Ninja'd.

• edited 2012-11-24 15:44:36

^^ I just did that and this is what's happening: Steam got itself a new tray icon and is apparently updating.  Update is 1% complete at the moment.

^ Oh, I see.  That might explain it.  Are you The Matchbox?  (I really should give people aliases...)

Steam has since recreated a ClientRegistry.blob file, but with a much smaller size.  It hasn't budged past 1% updated, also.  Should I just force-quit it and restore the old AppUpdateStats.blob and ClientRegistry.blob files?

• ^ Oh, I see.  That might explain it.  Are you The Matchbox?  (I really should give people aliases...)

Matchbox, yeah.

• edited 2012-11-24 16:01:17

/me tries restoring ClientRegistry.blob but not AppUpdateStats.blob

Starts up fine but doesn't connect to the friends list.

Wait, there was one other person on my Invitations Sent list...who is that person with a anime girl in a maid outfit as her avatar?  Clocky?

If I try to leave out ClientRegistry.blob, it tries to update it...and never gets past 2 kB (1%).  The original file is 3667 kB.  The client is having some trouble connecting properly to the Steam servers, clearly.

• It sounds like something is screwing with your connection to steam. It could be some program, the router your connected to or your internet connection.

That would be CompassionateSadist, I think. She doesn't actually use Steam.

Though when I went to check, my friends list wouldn't load. Everything else is working. Huh.

• edited 2012-11-24 16:17:30

My friends list seems to be bouncing on and offline.

And I guess she rejected my +friend?  Or maybe it expired automatically, after like half a year.

^ Try playing a game that has Steam Cloud integration, like TF2.  It will pop up an error query too.

DAMNIT CONNECTION I'M TRYING TO ADD TAGS TO MATCHBOX AND YOU'RE FALLING OFFLINE WHENEVER I LOOK AT YOU TO MAKE SURE YOU'RE ONLINE SO MY TAGGING DOESN'T FALL THROUGH

• edited 2012-11-24 16:17:39
    But you never had any to begin with.

My friends list is loading, so it's not that. Although a couple of people have had their avatars eaten.

Mine is loading again.

^^Probably the latter -- according to my list, she was last online 139 days ago.

• edited 2012-11-24 16:20:45

Tragedy of the Commons.

Each person gets a great benefit from connecting to Steam right now.  It enables them to try out their new games (or new hardware) and talk to their friends about their Thanksgiving/Black Friday purchases and stuff.

However, they take up bandwidth space on Steam servers, which reduces the ability of others to enjoy the service.  It also reduces their own ability to enjoy the services, a little, by making it less convenient to connect.

However, personal benefit greatly outweighs personal costs, so everyone does it anyway.

Steam connection--which is basically bandwidth space on the Steam servers--is a rival but non-excludable good, basically.

New flash sales:

• Galactic Civilizations II

• L.A. Noire

• Space Pirates and Zombies

Don't know about the first and last there, but from what I've played of it, L.A. Noire is worth the price.

• Champion of the Whales

You have to buy GC2 if you liked Masters of Orion.

Haven't ever played it :/

What's it like?