If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Sadly, I am far too law-abiding to do such a thing (no, seriously; not being sarcastic).

Avengers Academy #25:...huh. I was expecting all of the story points to get resolved in the same issue the big superhero fight gets resolved in. Always good to mix things up a bit, but it means I was expecting too much out of this issue. The arc will probably be better for it.

Ms. Marvel #33: The flashback story continues to be interesting, and I like where the modern story is going.

American Vampire #3: The main feature is pretty much pure vampirey fun, while the backup is...also pretty much pure vampirey fun. Enjoyable read. I'm liking this series.

• You can change. You can.

So, I was going through the 90s Amalgam comics mixing the DC and Marvel Universe when I saw this:

"The Green Skull"

I wonder now if Remender was inspired by this. 

• I'm a damn twisted person

The evil Ghost Rider knockoff in Secret Avengers you mean?

Just realized that I never picked up Captain Marvel #3. Whoops.

Captain Marvel #3: I'm still kind of annoyed that they're using time travel for the first arc, but...well, it's as good as it can be under the circumstances. I have high hopes for this series once it does an arc that's more my cup of tea.

Ms. Marvel #34: Huh. The Carol/Peter shipping has been going on for longer than I realized. Anyway, cool arc that builds on what the last couple of issues showed us of Carol's pre-superpower asskicking.

Avengers Academy #26: Second most misleading cover on a comic I've read. Anyway, this issue has everyone sit down and figure out the new status quo, while more information about the weird stuff going on with the overall arc gets revealed. Very interesting.

American Vampire #4-5: This comic is just overall pretty awesome.

So, apparently the Phantom Stranger series DC launched yesterday ties heavily into the first post-New 52 company-wide event. Has anyone checked that out?

Amazing Spider-Man #678: This is an awesome premise for a story. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

American Vampire #6: Ah, so this series is going to do a lot of jumping around between arcs. I like that.

Captain Marvel #3: I'm still kind of annoyed that they're using time travel for the first arc

but but but it's more Doctor Who-y time travel where they just use it to go to a particular setting! D:

• edited 2012-09-10 13:22:52
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

You know, given the..."quality" of the #0s I've read, I think I'll just save some money and skip buying any DC releases this month unless someone actually tells me one is worth buying.

Seriously, I'm actually kind of impressed that Swamp Thing #0 managed to establish almost nothing noteworthy and simultaneously fill the continuity with holes within a year of the reboot. You'd think those would be mutually exclusive.

Anyway.

Amazing Spider-Man #679: Love it. Good way of driving home the point that being Spider-Man isn't the only important thing Peter does anymore.

Amazing Spider-Man #679.1: Given how on top of things Peter has been since Big Time, it's good to have the occasional "Peter fucks up" story. Also, Uatu got more development, which is cool.

American Vampire #7-8: Oh, okay, an organization of vampire hunters with a silly, pretentious name. Yeah, I figured those would come along eventually. Cool.

Found all 4 volumes of Seven Soldiers of Victory and the Kyle and Yost parts of New X-men. Suddenly it feels very 2007.
    Re Swamp Thing - I can try to explain it and how it fits into established continuity.

- The original Swamp Thing was never Alec Holland, but a mental copy of him. The Green built a body around Alec's corpse and used his memories and personality for a template.

- years later the Green Lantern events "Blackest Night" and "Brightest Day" happened. Short version is the avatar of death, Nekron declared war on all life. The Rainbow Lantern Corps along with Earth's superheroes fought to stop him and his army of magic space ring zombies( sadly none of them were also dinosaurs). Eventually they got help from the White Entity, the avatar of life. During the fight and shortly afterwards the White Entity brought several people back to life, including the human self of Alec Holland.

- then the New 52 reboot happened, but bits of continuity DC's editorial staff liked got to stay canon. Brightest Day was one of those events.

So to put it is perspective it means that the Green's plan was retroactively to protect Alec's body until something would bring it back to life. Still overly complicated and kind of stupid, but it can be plotted out.
  • edited 2012-09-10 14:58:51

I know all of that.

My problem is that they established that all of the original stuff was canon (but with Alec technically not being the original Swamp Thing), then the new issue made a crapload of contradictory changes just for the sake of change. Stuff like the reason for the lab exploding and who Anton was before he met Alec. The changes to the latter mean that the original Swamp Thing shouldn't have ever met Abby, but he still did, even though the reason for their meeting can't have happened, and...basically it just makes no sense.

So, Batman #0 is out today. Not buying it unless people tell me to because DC has proven that they have no idea what they're doing with #0s.

Calling it now: The Joker killed Batman's parents.

Okay, probably not, given that this is the one character DC knows how to market, but that basically happened in Swamp Thing #0, so who knows?

• edited 2012-09-12 12:16:48

Avenging Spider-Man #12:...

Am I high?

Probably. High on life, specifically.

Also, AvX killed Charles Xavier. In other news, nobody saw that coming. In other news, news might be fake. 

• He'll come back after a while.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Not buying it unless people tell me to because DC has proven that they have no idea what they're doing with #0s.

From what I've read (reviews of it online), it's not a bad story. It's just really obvious that it's a lead-in to the continuations of it in 2013. Apart from that, it's a decent story with some solid character moments.

Then again, I got that from online reviewers, so...

Welp Batman #0 is certainly a thing. If anything it looks like Snyder is going all anachronic order for the next arc by setting up some demons from Batman's early days. Not bad per say, but not up to Snyder's usual quality.

As for AvX, damnit Bendis stop writing events and team books. You just write everybody out of character and it's dumb.

All in all Scarlet Spider and Ultimate Comics: X-Men were my picks of the week. More in the eventual blog post.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>You know, given the..."quality" of the #0s I've read, I think I'll just save some money and skip buying any DC releases this month unless someone actually tells me one is worth buying.

Action Comics #0 is actually a really good Superman story if only because there's no real reason it couldn't have just been Action Comics #13

He'll come back after a while.

Of course he will. He's Charles Motherfucking Xavier. He fought Lucifer at the top of the himalayas.

And he faked his death like seven times, partially because he can be a dick. Seriously, the old Silver Age X-men stories had Xavier pretending to be dead like once every 15 issues. It's a fucking habit for that bald fucker.

• edited 2012-09-13 21:46:31

Screw it; I'm bored.

Batman #0: They chose their subject matter well. If you have to do a backstory book for Batman, putting it between the start of his crimefighting career and the start of his actual Batman career makes sense, as not everyone has heard about that part a thousand times. Though I do have to wonder how Gotham is so crime-ridden if its police have a one minute response time for emails.

Demon Knights #0: So...a bit more backstory about Etrigan and Jason. Insubstantial, but not bad per se.

• edited 2012-09-13 21:48:41

So apparently, in the New 52 continuity, Tim Drake was "never" Robin. 

I know this was months ago, but I was just looking through the New 52 first issues wondering if anything else was worth checking out when I saw this, which seems to contradict that pretty directly.

• edited 2012-09-13 21:58:37
    Yeah in the same issue it was shown that he kept a framed picture of him as Robin too.

They really didn't think this one out.
  • edited 2012-09-13 22:03:03

Batman has a lot of continuity issues. For example, Damien would have to be, what, four?

How long were they planning this reboot, again?

• Actually, Damien was grown in a tank.
  • a little muffled

Because that makes so much more sense.

Okay, so I guess that explains his physical age, but he'd still have to have been grown within the last four or five years. Not a lot of time for super-assassin training.

• edited 2012-09-14 00:35:41
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I just run with it. Trying to get through it without Ariadne's golden thread is impossible. I did like the back-up at the back Batman #0 where you see all the different ways Batman inspires people, though Dick's is kind of weak. The main story is pretty dull, especially since it obviously invokes the much better Year One. 

Demon Knights and Frankenstein fare better if only because they have an actual story to tell. I think the difference is that Demon Knights, Frankenstein, and Action Comics all kept telling the same kind of stories whereas Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Batman are just holding patterns, the previous three actually tell complete stories that don't just feel like rundowns of the character.

Also I think the Megaman comic might be the best piece of tie-in fiction I've ever read.

Animal Man and Batman are holding patterns. Swamp Thing is a holding pattern in which the plane ran out of fuel and crashed, killing everyone on board.