If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Not too well, I met him only a couple of times. He seemed like a good guy, though.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Again, my condolences.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Thank you.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

My sympathies.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Mine, as well.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    And mine.
  • edited 2012-09-10 18:10:37
    Has friends besides tanks now

In less disturbing news, my debit card's been deactivated, apparently. I wouldn't have thought that my bank would be stupid enough to do that over the purchases of some CD's off of iTunes and Amazon (well, 5 at the point where I was cut off). Well, that's the only reason I can think of for why my debit card was deactivated after some purchases, but before others, within the same time frame. It might not help that I'm in a different state now, I dunno. Would've been nice to receive an email warning me of certain policies of theirs, so that I might confirm that, no, my debit card hasn't been stolen. Best part is, bank hours are balls (8:30 to 4 on weekdays? Apparently the phrase "9 to 5" holds no meaning for bankers), so I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to ask what the fuck happened.

Ah, well. I don't think I'll need it today.

I know that feel. My first card got deactivated when I tried to buy something from GOG, which is in Europe, and apparently Europe is evil or something.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I'm just hoping that, even if I can't get the bank to reactivate it, mom might know how, since she also has access to it.

When mine got deactivated, the bank mailed me a new one.

• edited 2012-09-10 18:26:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> 9 to 5 holds no meaning for bankers

Of course it doesn't; they don't care about people work 9-to-5 jobs.

...sorry.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Sounds like your bank is just kinda lame All Nines. When I went out of state last year to look for my current apartment I made some purchases, but my bank didn't deactivate my card. They just called and asked me to confirm stuff.
  • Learning about augmented and diminished chords. They sound familiar to me though. I think Kuja's theme in FF9 made use of them.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

in which Pat Robertson laments the illegality of domestic violence

• edited 2012-09-10 21:04:37
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Just a little heads-up, in case anyone is still interested in this kind of stuff (I know I'm not, but it's a shame for the project to go to waste).

Jack Butler has abandoned the TVT Mirror Wiki. If anyone is interested in taking it over, write to him at chefjackbutler (at) gmail (dot) com.

• Aww, that's rather saddening to hear.

IJBM: Someone I considered intelligent posting something about the dangers of genetically-engineered food.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

IJBM: People claiming that there's scientific evidence that homosexuality shortens lifespans. Only there's a conspiracy of silence surrounding it, preventing the information getting out.

• edited 2012-09-10 21:40:15
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^Well it's not entirely unfounded, like that incident with genetically engineered corn triggering allergies in a vast number of people.

Though that's not a reason from turning away from genetically engineered food entirely, as opposed to putting in more research and safety protocols.

• edited 2012-09-10 21:21:53
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

double post

^^^That's...one of those times where I would laugh at the stupidity if it weren't so disgusting.

^^Yeah, but the "oh no, science made it so it's bad" gut reaction really pisses me off.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

How does that even work? As in, how does that even work? People have been having homosexual sex since the start of civilization! 

• Tomorrow is going to be a long day...

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

“There has been, as was suggested by the questioner at that lecture, a conspiracy of silence around the vast array of medical evidence that exists to suggest that same-sex behaviour is hazardous, is harmful, and is dangerous,” he told STV’s Scotland Tonight programme.

“The wider question really is, as a society, why don't we debate that? Why don't we look at it in the same way, for example, that we've been happy to look at how smoking, how alcohol, how overeating, how drug addiction can cause harms to people's health?”

He said medical studies showed that homosexual conduct shortens life expectancy by between 12 and 20 years because of “complex infections, diseases and illnesses”.

• No rainbow star

I just read this:

"The plate armor of European soldiers did not stop soldiers from moving around or necessitate a crane to get them into a saddle. They would as a matter of course fight on foot and could mount and dismount without help. In fact soldiers equipped with plate armor were more mobile than those with chainmail armor, as chainmail was heavier and required stiff padding beneath due to its pliable nature."

Alex, is this true? I'd figure you'd know since you're our resident medieval expert

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Mail armour, like plate, was highly variable in weight and flexibility. For instance, there are two main kinds of mail -- four-link and eight-link. Each type name refers to how many rings were linked into every other ring, so four-link mail was lighter and more flexible, whereas eight-link mail was heavier and sturdier. Both armours required some kind of padding underneath to make them properly wearable, although plate armour's tendency to be more specifically formed to the human shape or individual wearers meant that it was more specifically built to function with human biomechanics. Mail armour is more or less a shirt, coat or robe made of interlocking rings, so there could be a "one size fits all" philosophy when making it (although obviously differently sized sets were made and some sets were made for specific people). 

But yes, that paragraph is true. It doesn't contain all the information a pedant like myself would like it to contain, but there's nothing to argue with there. 

It's also worth noting that plate armour probably existed specifically because foot combat was becoming more and more favoured. On horseback, your speed protects you from a lot of attacks; something that might penetrate mail while stationary might only glance off a horseman at speed, and that's only if that horseman gets struck in the first place. 

I can't remember where the excerpt comes from, but I remember reading something about French knights showing off to one-another by seeing who could be the most dexterous while in plate armour. One example details a knight doing a handstand in full plate -- while on horseback. 

One example details a knight doing a handstand in full plate -- while on horseback. 

Reason #1976 why it's really too bad they didn't have Youtube back then.

Man, I don't know what thread this should go in, so I'm going to put it here.

I've been playing Skyrim a lot recently, as apparently Steam can start in offline mode now and I have no internet to fuck around on.

I logged about twenty hours of play time, then I remembered that Skyrim has a main quest that actually exists, so I went to do it.

Spoiler:
    Anyway, there's a scene just after the peace conference with the Greybeards, where Delphine corners you and tells you that you must kill Paarthurnax, because he's an evil bastard who killed a lot of people.

Anyway, Paarthurnax had been pretty cool so far, but I was like, okay, whatever; I had a bit of a character-crush on Delphine anyway, she was cool. So I geared up and headed up to the Throat of the World.

There, I told Paarthurnax that the Blades had told me that I had to kill him. And Paarthurnax surprised me by agreeing with them; he was an evil bastard, yes.

At this point, I remembered what Paarthurnax' name means in the Dragon language; it literally translates to 'Ambitious Overlord Cruelty' or 'Ambitious Tyranny Cruelty'.

So, I was all set to kill him, and then Paarthurnax turns around to me, and talks about how he meditates on the nature of the Voice, and how in order to do that, you're taking a part of the Word into yourself. And he talked about how he's trying to be a good person, and about how it's a constant risk, every day, to not fall back into his old, evil ways.

And he says to me, "Which do you think is greater? The nature of a person who is born overwhelmingly good, or the nature of a person who strives to overcome their evil nature by meditation and tries to be good?"

Goddammit, Paarthurnax. How can I kill you now? >:/

I really never expected Skyrim to make me think so philosophically. Even other games that are lauded for their themes, like Dark Souls and... well, actually, Dark Souls is the only one of the great games I've actually played, but Dark Souls never made me think on the nature of good and evil like that.

• I didn't want to kill the old drake either. So I cheated, fucked with the command codes, and then lied to the Blades.

It didn't last, for some reason.
  • edited 2012-09-11 02:08:45
    Also apparently the comic books that the army confiscated for having nudity in them are completely lost to me and I can never get them back.