If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• Then I envy the circles you travel in.

• I'm a damn twisted person

You could just try hanging out with smarter parts of the fandom. Nobody really cares if you want to associate with folks who can do things besides drown in their own drool. 

• Generally, the people I discuss comics with ARE you know...normal. But one or two crazies always slip through the cracks.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

>Go on Comixology

>The first 14 issues of Avengers Academy are discounted by $.99

T_T

Secret Avengers is also discounted. Is it any good?

I could never get into it despite it staring War Machine, O'Grady Amtman and Beast and then later Venom as mainstays o
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Rick Remender took over recently. I heard that's good. He's pretty good at gritty intrigue cape books.

The sale only covers up to issue 12.1.

• edited 2012-08-21 00:08:54
    Personally, I quite liked it. It's zany fun in all the best ways, but I think it only starts to hit its stride when Warren Ellis takes over and focuses on mostly single-issues of self-contained wacky super-spy adventures, such as one story dedicated to Black Widow's time-loop messing and another consisting entirely of kung-fu fighting because of being deployed on a thin-walled space station.

Unfortunately it seems that that's after issue #12.1.

So...apparently, Superman and Wonder Woman are officially together. Um...isn't that supposed to be the thing DC writers do to show you that something isn't canon?

• edited 2012-08-22 22:30:19
    It's stupid. This is the one thing everyone for eighty years decided not to do because it's too obvious, lacking in subtlety, and reduces characters to be defined solely by their power.
  • You can change. You can.

Posting to demonstrate agreement.

So right, speaking of Secret Avengers, I gave it a shot at the point Remender took over(issue #21.1). And it actually is good. Big like Avenger's stuff should be with a robot/cyborg assimilation plot by the bad guys, but also sneaky to fit the black ops thing. So all in all pretty fun, and the best at getting the Avenger's feel besides Avengers Academy.

Also, you all should give The Underwater Welder a look. It's like a The Twilight Zone episode, but a comic by Jeff Lemire.

All-star Western 12: This is a fun ending with some nice action in it. It's long been established that careful plotwork isn't what All-star Western is about. No, it's about action, atmosphere, and a glimpse into the DC universe of slightly over a century ago.  It certainly accomplishes all that, though the backup is odd. It features Dr. Terrence 13 who doesn't believe in ghosts or magic and the idea of someone being a rationalist in the DC world where aliens and ghosts showing up is called a Tuesday is a bit weird.

Batman Incorporated 3: This is the first encounter we have with Batman's underground persona of Matches Malone. True to form not much has changed and I found the uppity 'grounded' Robin subplot a lot more interesting. Not a bad comic, but not up to Morrison's usual snuff.

The Invincible Iron Man 523: As we near the absolute End game of Fraction's Iron Man epic (before Gillen presumably takes over) we get a lot of great stuff. Fraction has a great head for the near future sci-fi elements as well as the intrigue and callbacks to Iron Man's origin without seeming cheesy. It's particularly great seeing Mandarin and Iron Man playing their personal speed chess. 

The Amazing Spider-man 692: Holy Cousin Oliver, Spider-man! Spidey has a new sidekick named Alpha who is super powerful and needs a guiding hand in your friendly neighborhood web-slinger. I... didn't hate it but there's nothing about this new character that really compels me even as a villain. It plays with the 'jump the shark' moments nicely tongue-in-cheek but the entire event feels like a stunt that Spider-man has been rising above lately. But wait! It's an over-sized issue so there's a couple extra stories. They're sweet filler and I found myself more engaged in them than the a-story.

Justice League Dark 12: On the whole this is a solid fantasy adventure comic, though it has some slightly wanky moments. Timothy Hunter shows up just to be written out of the DC universe as if to say 'There, that's why he's not here. Now stop asking about him.' That said, there's a lot of big fun stuff here as well as some retcons I actually really liked.

Spike: A Dark Place 1: If you haven't been following the Buffy comic, this comic might confuse you. You'll be wondering why Spike has a steampunk spaceship with a crew of giant bugs. If you're expecting more of Vampire Sid Vicious fighting baddies you might be disappointed. If you know what you're getting into... it's at least better than the Buffy comic. A lot of cray stuff happens in this comic. (MOON DEMONS) but it still feels slow and is a bit too caught up in Spike's pathos when we want to see him kick ass.

Dragon Age: Those Who Speak Flesh 1: I like Dragon Age, despite the massive missteps the second game took and despite the fact that it seems to have created a needless glut of swords and sorcery games lately. It also starts on the right foot by featuring my favorite characters: Alistair and Isabella. If you're a fan of Dragon Age it's a fun, action-packed comic but if you're not you'll just leave confused.

Flash 12: I've always felt that Flash's rogues gallery was underrated. I'd put them right up there with Spider-man's. As a result I dug seeing the rogues get together again. The issue basically plays out like Flash fanservice. Bam! Weather Wizard! Bam! The Trickster! Bam Bam! The Flash does almost nothing. That's really the big problem with this issue. How little the Flash does. He's a purely reactive character and that's something of a problem when it's his book.

http://apanelaboutpanels.tumblr.com/

Might as well plug this shit here for the interested. I thought about making a new thread but I felt it'd be better to keep it here so that the comic book disease doesn't spread and it doesn't annoy people who don't read them.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Recently been reading Miracleman. Very dark, very strange. I enjoy it greatly.

Moore's run, I gather? I liked it a lot, myself. I never really finished it, though. I probably wouldn't enjoy it so much due to how much I have changed in terms of philosophical standpoints, though.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Yes. Gaiman's brief run should be interesting, though, when I get to it.

• edited 2012-09-05 18:24:16
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Animal Man #0: Shows us Buddy's retconned origin story. It's not bad, but...this was already all explained to us, so taking an entire issue to see it again is kind of a waste of time.

Swamp Thing #0: ...what? I thought the original Swamp Thing run was still canon, but this pretty much contradicts that...I am so confused right now. Also kind of pissed off.

So...thus far, not liking the #0s. Not liking them at all.

So, looking at things written by Scott Snyder because he is awesome no matter how annoyed I am with retcons that probably weren't his decision. Batman: Gates of Gotham is an obvious thing for me to check out because I already know he can write Batman. How's American Vampire?

• edited 2012-09-05 21:06:47

Avenging Spider-Man #11: Very nice nostalgic story. Though it being mentioned that they visit Uncle Ben's grave every year makes me wonder how many years have gone by in-universe...

Amazing Spider-Man #674-675: I like that Carlie isn't just going to vanish because they broke up, and the ending was hilarious. As for the main conflict with the Vulture...well, it wasn't really that impressive, but since it was more of a thing to be happening while the main focus was on post-breakup stuff.

Ms. Marvel #31: Yay, they finally added some post-Invasion stuff. Anyway, this one involves a lot of her earlier history and stuff I was still kind of sketchy on, but it was all interesting and I managed to follow it. The pacing is slow, though that's probably because it comes after the Secret Invasion punch-fest I didn't read.

Avengers Academy #23: This story arc is really interesting. I only partially know who to root for and what's going on, and I'm looking forward to finding more out.

I also bought Gates of Gotham and American Vampire, but Comixology won't display them T_T

• edited 2012-09-05 21:19:55
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

American Vampire is really great. Best thing Vertigo's producing. 

Not saying much these days as they all feel like HBO adaptation bait lately, but still.

Awesome, I'll go start it...oh, wait. I can't. -_-

As for how many in-universe visits, there's a ten-year backslide or something.

Ah, that makes sense.

Dammit, Gates of Gotham and American Vampire still aren't working. I'll try putting them on my Kindle...

• edited 2012-09-06 01:08:29

Amazing Spider-Man #676: Watching villains be heroes is always fun.

American Vampire #1: Liking it so far, though I liked the backup better than the main story. In fairness, that's because the backup seemed to reach a better stopping point than the main story did, so my main complaint for the main story boils down to "there should be more of it."

American Vampire #2: The main story and backup are both better than they were in the first issue, which was already good enough to make me buy the second issue immediately. Enough said.

Ms. Marvel #32: Holy fucking shit. Apparently, Carol Danvers was more badass before she got superpowers.

Avengers Academy #24: Um...I suppose this is a good thing, but this story arc is having a lower body count than is really reasonable, at least so far.

Gates of Gotham #1: Snyder writing Batman (though not the same Batman as the one I was expecting). And writing about Gotham's backstory. Awesome. And as a bonus, stuff with Bat-Family members I haven't seen yet. That said, I'll probably hold off on finishing this series until I catch up on some more stuff.

Oh right, for more Synder Batman, check out the Black Mirror arc when you get a chance.

Will do.

So...many...comics...

Be lucky you didn't ask us to point out at Morrison or Ellis comics. Down that path lies... well a lot of stuff.

Oh, I almost certainly will eventually.

There's a big-ass torrent for Morrison's work. It has even the shitty comics he drew for Scottish and British magazines. 

It's pretty much like that time you read Gaiman's journal when he was 16-ish. Probably

If such a thing existed, anyway.