If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Don't forget to report games that violate the tos, valve is keeping track.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yep.

• edited 2012-08-30 22:09:08
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What kind of TOS violation are we talking about?

Anyway, just saw the trailer for Melody's Escape.

1. Please don't use that song as the trailer song.  It's extremely distracting, and makes the game seem like a bad attempt at an animesque game.

2. Character model apparently shows the player-character with her torso jutting forward and bent backward very awkwardly.  Please redesign.

3. Gameplay features don't match music.

Next game.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92962136&searchtext=

OMFGROFLMAO

I never knew the Foo Simulator games were indie, though...

What kind of TOS violation are we talking about?

People posting existing games that aren't theirs.

I never knew the Foo Simulator games were indie, though...

A game doesn't have to be indie to go on greenlight.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Oh.

Well, I just noticed Skyscraper Simulator as well.  As well as House Fire Simulator but that's not part of the same series, nor does it actually simulate a house fire apparently...

DLC Quest I know is already out on Desura.  I've seen it--and Towns--in Indie Royale packs.  Kenshi too I think, or was that in some other bundle?  Same with No Time To Explain.

Science Girls?  Looks like someone's taking Christine Love's lead and trying to get more of VN-ish stuff on Steam.

Is Project Giana related to the Giana Sisters?

...yes.  Yes it is.

This "American Revolution stealth platformer" called Children of Liberty looks...vaguely interesting as well.

Haha, someone submitted Halo to Greenlight.  I am appoint

On the other hand, someone submitted Sonichu: the Game.

Ooh, Vizati.  This was on the very first Indie Gala as the only DRM-free game.

Galactose...a food-themed 3D space shooter a la Star Fox...this is actually kinda interesting.

DLC Quest

Voted that one down. Looked very "look at me! I'm so indie!"

• edited 2012-08-30 22:24:58

Bleed looks kinda like Terraria endgame battling or what I think Noitu Love 2 is like...

I actually kinda like the idea of DLC Quest mocking DLC.

Yeah, I looked at it and chuckled, then I thought about it and wondered how long a game can keep one joke funny.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Okay this game actually looks pretty cool.

Too bad it's a PTP MMO, but enough for an upvote from me.

Yeah, I definitely upvoted that one. And of the few I upvoted, it's in the even smaller category of games I actually expect to be pretty good.

Here's another good one, though I may be biased in this case. It looks very Baldur's Gate, regardless.

I've heard of that. Will upvote when I get to it.

Oh, hey, Immortal Defense is on there. I played the demo ages ago and loved it but never got the full thing.

• edited 2012-08-30 23:10:45

I just upvoted DLC Quest, Melody's Escape, Vizati, and some other thingy I forgot.

This thing has no search capability so I can't find Galactose and Children of Liberty again.  Or Bleed.

Is it fair to downvote things just because I don't like the game's premise, with no consideration to the merits of the design?  For example, downvoting

The other thing is sometimes I'm not sure whether I want to upvote something I like.  While I'd like to see more animesque games and VNs and JRPGs and such on Steam...I also don't like Steam's DRM that much, and as long as Steam doesn't give me a DRM-free promise for at least some of their games, I'm not sure how much more I want it to succeed.  It's already got a damn lot of success so I feel that I don't really need to help it much, and getting more games on it would be implicitly supporting Steam.

Ooh, The Oil Blue is on here.

• edited 2012-08-30 23:15:01
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Is it fair to downvote things just because I don't like the game's premise, with no consideration to the merits of the design? 

Theoretically yes, but I'm avoiding it.

The other thing is sometimes I'm not sure whether I want to upvote something I like.  While I'd like to see more animesque games and VNs and JRPGs and such on Steam...I also don't like Steam's DRM that much, and as long as Steam doesn't give me a DRM-free promise for at least some of their games, I'm not sure how much more I want it to succeed. It's already got a damn lot of success so I feel that I don't really need to help it much

I've never understood this attitude. Yes, Steam is DRM, but it's a very functional tool for keeping your games together and a great marketing tool for people selling them, so I really don't see the problem. The way I see it, a downvote means you don't want that project to meet with success.

Right, so of the 408 projects there so far, I upvoted 58. A lot more than I expected, but again, these are the games I cannot confirm to be terrible just from the pitches.

• edited 2012-08-30 23:26:15

Yes, Steam is DRM, but it's a very functional tool for keeping your games together and a great marketing tool for people selling them, so I really don't see the problem.

1. It's not very functional when you have to either (A) start up a program that takes a couple minutes to start up, or (B) have a program that takes lots of RAM running all the time, in order to access your games.  Oh, and you have to be on the internet half the time, or it don't work right.

2. There's a much better tool for keeping your games together; it's called "file manager", or if you prefer, "explorer.exe".  Install everything to your Games folder (or whatever you wanna call it), then make a shortcut to that.  To play, open shortcut, open Torchlight (or other game name) folder, double-click Torchlight.exe.  Simple.

And if you're too lazy to do that, just have each game make a shortcut on the desktop (or make one yourself) and then stuff all the shortcuts in a folder in the Start Menu or on the Desktop.

3. So for the ones I feel are already successful but don't want Steam to benefit from, I just abstain.

1. It's not very functional when you have to either (A) start up a program that takes a couple minutes to start up, or (B) have a program that takes lots of RAM running all the time, in order to access your games.  Oh, and you have to be on the internet half the time, or it don't work right.

2. There's a much better tool for keeping my games together; it's called "file manager", or if you prefer, "explorer.exe".  Install everything to your Games folder (or whatever you wanna call it), then make a shortcut to that.

Those are both fair, though I've never had the former problems.

3. So for the ones I feel are already successful but don't want Steam to benefit from, I just abstain.

The thing is, they benefit from Steam more than Steam benefits from them. Nobody's going to install Steam just to buy something launched through Greenlight. And the developer gets 90% of all purchases. From Valve's perspective, a Greenlight game being added to Steam is a nice PR boost, but a grain of sand on the beach monetarily. From the developer's perspective, it's a massive windfall, even if the game was already fairly successful.

• edited 2012-08-30 23:30:56
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

(A) Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, (B) Your average browser takes more memory than Steam, the Offline Mode thing is a legit complaint though.

2. There's a much better tool for keeping your games together; it's called "file manager", or if you prefer, "explorer.exe".  Install everything to your Games folder (or whatever you wanna call it), then make a shortcut to that.  To play, open shortcut, open Torchlight (or other game name) folder, double-click Torchlight.exe.  Simple.

I don't see how this is more convenient than Steam.

Also what CU said.

• edited 2012-08-30 23:40:31
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

whoops wrong thread

Ummm.... I'm replaying the original Max Payne. While the gameplay hasn't aged well it's not really a good sign for games that this actually has superior story and narrative than almost all other hard-boiled games. 

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Ah, I miss playing it.

Have you tried Max Payne 2, by any chance? It quite undeservedly passed under the radar.

• edited 2012-08-31 00:26:10

> I don't see how this is more convenient than Steam.

For starters, not sure if you noticed, but the Steam is not very friendly to keyboard shortcuts.  I have to use a mouse or touchpad, and especially when all I have is a touchpad...and just for kicks, it doesn't like edge-scrolling on a touchpad much.  So I have to go move my right hand back from the touchpad back and forth from the arrow (or PgUp/PgDn) keys, at least when using the Steam browser.  (Thankfully, if I'm in my library, I just have to use up/down and enter to start a game.  So I made the thing start with Library display.)

Furthermore, when you install a game via Steam, it just up and installs it somewhere, where you might need to dig for it later if you want to access the files for tweaking, extracting certain bits of data (such as sound effects), or other purposes.  (It's usually in the "common" folder but some games--I think they're Source engine games--aren't.)

Not to mention that every time I install a new Steam game, half of the time it then goes and installs Microsoft Direct X something, all over again.

Also, because of the DRM, I can't just move them around to wherever, whenever.  They're not portable--I can't just stick the files on a flash drive if I'll be using a different computer and expect the game to work.  Though this isn't as much of a problem as the source of the DRM itself being a problem.

I'd much rather see games get DRM-free versions on Desura.  Desura has a wrapper if you like using that to organize your games, but it is also DRM-agnostic.

(A) Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, (B) Your average browser takes more memory than Steam

Well, (A) definitely takes more time than [Startbutton] c:\games [Enter] recet [Enter] re [Enter].

Also, just because Firefox is using 200,000 doesn't mean that Steam is okay at only 100,000.

I'd much rather see games get DRM-free versions on Desura.  Desura has a wrapper if you like using that to organize your games, but it is also DRM-agnostic.

There's no reason they can't be released on both. But if they're only on Desura, they aren't going to make even the same order of magnitude as the number of sales they'll make on Steam.

• I'm a damn twisted person

So yeah I finished Spec Ops: The Line today. Gah way to make me feel terrible for wanting to finish the story game. Still though aside from the white phosphorus incident, the scene that stuck with me the most was that goddamned rave heavy trooper in the room full of mannequins. 

Yeah, that was the point where the game just comes right out and says oh by the way, your character is crazy.

Though the bit that hit me hardest in the entire game was the loading screen line "do you even remember why you came here?" My initial reaction was "yeah, yeah, I get it, I came to rescue survivors and failed miserably," but then I realized that the team was only there to peek in, check if anyone was alive, then leave and report back. Realizing I'd missed that was quite a shocking moment for me.

But if they're only on Desura, they aren't going to make even the same order of magnitude as the number of sales they'll make on Steam.

I am fully aware of this but it still disappoints me.

That said, Steam also does a far better job of promoting products and announcing sales than Desura.  On Desura it's more like, every developer does their own sale at their own pace, by themselves, if ever.

• Finished with X6.

If I ever try to play that game again, someone please stop me.

^Look at the bright side.

It could have been X7.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

I actually have Science Girls, but haven't played it a lot. It seems quite nice so far, although it's gameplay is mostly generic (and rather challenging) JRPG I think Hanako Games should have put up Long Live The Queen, which is more interesting, instead.

DLC Quest, I know too. It's amusing and since it's very short it doesn't run the joke into the ground, however I certainly wouldn't charge money for it. It would be much better if it were Freeware.

• At least with X7, I'll just skip it all together.

Still have an obligation to do an X5 Challenge Run. As Unarmored X. My plan is get rid of Duff McWhalen first simply because I want to get my most hated (Ie; Too damn long and boring) stage out of the way.