If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in tokusatsu!

Comments

• edited 2012-08-21 06:55:42

There's a martyr-like grabbing hold of the power of evil to do good, and grabbing hold of said power even though you know the grave stakes that just using the power once means everyone dies.

Guess which one is horribly stupid?

• There is love everywhere, I already know

It is just Ran.

• That is a terrible justification for an act of utter stupidity.

• edited 2012-08-21 11:52:00
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Well, I'll admit the character who hated Zodiarts suddenly using their power to become one is kind of a stretch, but she also wanted to prove herself somehow useful to the club, she's also always been the fighty kind and in the end it felt right to me.

She probably loses the Switch eventually since the plot does need to move on...

Now I remember who did the weird shield thing in Episode 44, Kengo. I knew he was some sort of cosmic creation (They've never ever mentioned his mother and that's one of the most obvious routes you can go on a Rider show).

But if he is a being of space... that's the most obvious Main Character x Strange Alien Girl Romance plot ever... They've already done that with Nadeshiko though, so probably not (aside from the obvious).

• edited 2012-08-26 09:03:15

Kamen Rider Fourze #46: Misleading previews? Oh, and Kengo the spacebaby!

Apparently Gamou's eyes were just reddening so he could turn into Sagittarius and that scene with the Gentarou-evil thing wasn't what it seemed.

Okay, so Gamou tries to convince Ran to turn evil after easily defeating Meteor and Fourze , but she refuses. He and Leo leave and he later tells Leo to turn Ran's switch red (It's still in it's blue state, which is something I'm sure has never been mentioned before but makes sense, with the previous Yuuki thing).

Kengo has about of Space Aids and then enters a coma where all the Fourze switches enter him and turn into the Core Switch, then he collapses.

Yuuki takes Kengo to his house  where she takes care of him, reminisces about life before Fourze's activation and makes good food that's not space-themed. The KRC (Minus Gentarou, Ryuusei and our dear Principal are at the rabbit hutch, discussing strategy before they get contact from Earth; Leo has Haru.

Meanwhile, Gentarou, Ryuusei and Hayami are in Gamou's office snooping around for the red room. Unfortunately, as soon as they gain access Hayami is killed by an exploding Gemini clone. Gentarou and Ryuusei try to go rescue him, but are stopped by those maned Dustards (Who seem to be on par with Zodiarts).

Ran goes to Earth, Pisces switch in hand and fight's Leo, she sees Fourze, who she assumes is there to help her. Sadly, it's not Fourze, but Hayami (!) in disguise, the two Horoscopes take her on and manage to get her switch.

Okay, let's stop the recap for a moment. This is actually really surprising. I mean, this entire thing was a set up! In a situation where a set up wasn't obvious!

Back to recapping; Fourze and Meteor arrive. Gamou takes the twelve switches into the sky, where he begins becoming all powerful and opening the gate to the Presenter (Which is also the name of an extremely cute Yui Horie song and I'll never be able to unlink the two now) etc. Kengo arrives and tells the KRC that he's completely vulnerable, but they're stopped by Hayami sacrificing himself (For real now) to save Gamou. Gentarou asks Gamou if he feels anything, but he doesn't because he is an evil sociopath.

Before the entire world goes to hell (Well, like 1/4th of it by Kengo's description) we find out what Emoto was trying to tell us, Kengo is a space thing and he stops Gamou's ascendance into heaven the Presenters's domain. Sagittarius and Leo regroup and leave while everybody wonders what's going on. Then Kengo dies.

Next time: Kengo is a Space Baby Core Child who must go now.

Kamen Rider Fourze #47: Kengo... actually has to leave...

Continuing from last week, everybody's hanging out in the Rabbit Hutch (Ran's in hospital and Hayami is well... really really dead so not them) when Kengo (Coming back from a trip to the moon which Gentarou and Yuuki interrupt) tells them he has to go meet the Presenter as he's it's child. He acts emotionless as he leaves the Rabbit hutch, telling them all it was fun while it lasted.

Gamou still can't activate the Dark Nebula gate and has a pretty good idea why. The core switch is interfering. Aside from angering the Presenter who he's going to see, he decides to destroy it, but not after getting angry at Tatsugami. We also find out more about Tatsugami, who has the third best backstory of a villain in the series so far behind Emoto and Gamou.

Kengo is at home writing a note when he's interrupted by Gentarou and Yuuki, who don't want him to leave. He tries to explain why again and mentions that he'll need the Fourze driver since he can now use it as a fully matured Core Child. Gentarou still doesn't believe Kengo's fully convinced of this mission of his or that he's emotionless, so he takes him somewhere.

Meanwhile Leo comes to the Rabbit Hutch and really trashes it. Ryuusei tries to stop him and fails.

Gentarou takes Kengo to the Space Museum they visited before and tells him about the look Kengo had in his eyes when he saw the Earth a couple of hours ago and Kengo has a break down, leading them all to have break downs. Yuuki does a sad goodbye song. As weird as it is, it's pretty touching to see the three original KRC members say goodbye like that.

As they walk home they meet Oosugi, who tells them about Leo attacking. They head over to find everybody half-dead and the Hutch damaged beyond repair, waiting inside are Gamou and Tatsugami who instantly go on the offensive. Kengo stops them without second thought before they break one of the windows, causing the entire room to get sucked into space. Before it can get them, the club members manage to escape (Kengo hands Yuuki a note before she leaves) and Ryuusei manages to close it tight. Outside, Fourze, Sagittarius and Leo are fighting and Kengo arrives, managing the Horoscopes flying into space. Meteor arrives and provides a barrier while Gentarou gives the driver to Kengo. He flies both he and Gentarou back into the Rabbit Hutch while Kengo uses the Fourze driver.

Before he can leave, Sagittarius shows up and goes Supernova. He attacks Kengo and destroys the Core Switch, which causes Kengo to fall to the ground and turn into dust, leaving onlythe Fourze driver.

Next time: The prev- that totally didn't just happen right? Right? RIGHT?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Kamen Rider Wizard is released tomorrow.

• edited 2012-09-01 07:35:30

I know.

And I still haven't started on recapping the Fourze finale.

And I'm so behind on Go-Busters...

I'm really interested in Wizard, those two human-slash-monster villains in the second PV are really cool, and I like all of this toyetic energy coming off... basically everything. I just don't know how the Wizard suit will come off in S.H. Figuarts form (And if they're going to make us pay for four different Wizards instead of just having one with the interchangeable masks and hands...)

• edited 2012-09-01 08:19:32

Kamen Rider Fourze #48: The End.

So... Kengo is dead? Like, dead dead, the preview wasn't lying? KENGO IS ACTUALLY DEAD?

Wait, okay... to today's Fourze:

Gamou and Tatsugami come back into the Rabbit Hutch, where they taunt Gentarou and Ryuusei about Kengo's death. He tosses the Fourze Driver at Gentarou's feet and tells him to save whoever he wants, as long as it doesn't interfere with his plans. Fukushi Sota shows off his emotional range in this scene, his cries for Kengo are really, really believable.

Gentarou and Ryuusei escape the Rabbit Hutch as it explodes. Gamou shows up to taunt them yet some more, mentioning that the soup he made them earlier is now on the menu in the cafeteria.

Yuuki sits the entire group down for a letter from Kengo, he tells them not to hate Gamou and go go eventually meet the Presenter themselves.

It's the new school term and Oosugi-sensei is telling all the teachers about how evil Gamou is, but they don't believe him. Surprisingly, our favoraite kickboxing champ defends him and tells them to think it over. Before they can, Gamou reveals his Evil Plan to the entire school, thanks them for being such good Guinea Pigs and tells them to enjoy their last hour on earth. Instead of finding flights as far away from Japan as possible, most of them just panic (And Gentarou enjoys more of Gamou's soup).

Before they can all go off to fight Gamou, Gentarou tells the members of the KRC that he needs them to do something else. Something very important. He and Ryuusei go off to fight the final battle.

In what has to be the best sort of toyetic orgasm ever, Ryuusei manages to defeat Tatsugami (Actually murdering him) and Gentarou uses Cosmic States' warp drive to take Gamou to the Amanogawa Gym (where Cancer previously took lots of students' souls). The KRC is there, and they graduate Amanogawa High school from Gamou. Finally, he's been defeated (by a Base States attack no less!) and he goes off to reflect on his entire life (He's actually dying from all the forced starchild evolution he's been putting himself through), but not after Gentarou forcibly obtains his friendship.

Finally, everything is okay! The school is christened New Amanogawa High School (creative, aren't they) and Gentarou and Yuuki are back on the bridge from the first episode. Gentarou is about to cast Kengo's letter into the water when Kengo stops him.

Kengo? What? KENGO!

Apparently, before Gamou died, he used Aquarius' healing ability (which got much more use than I ever thought it would) to repair the Core Switch and Kengo came back to life in his room, but the Core Switch is gone. Kengo's a normal human now, and they all vow to meet the Presenter together as the Space KRC (With Ran and Haru officially joining).

Ryuusei is also headed off to his old school and Tomoko tells him to say hi to his girlfriend, to which he mentions he has none. It takes him a moment to realize what she just did, but he does and tells her to visit him whenever.

Shun proposes to Miu, and unluckily for him she sees the Fire Wizard Ring on Haruto, which Miu wants much more than she could ever want a diamond.

Now the show is officially over, so we should all go play Switch On! until our HDDs crash and cry, because I'll really miss KRF...

Something cool to check out, a translated blog post that co-insided with the final episode release!

Next time? SHOWTIME!

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

It was a really strong ending, other than the asspull revitalizaton at the end. That's three series in a row that have pulled that shit. 

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Ankh was never revitalized, they just left off with Eiji on the quest to do find a way to bring him back.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I meant Date, actually. It was mid-series but still. 

• edited 2012-09-07 01:52:10

So Fukushi Sota (Gentarou/Fourze) is releasing a photobook, so is whoever plays Ryuusei. On one side: I like things related to Fourze (but I won't pay the ridiculous Blu-ray prices, so that's the one thing I will not order due to my lack of such funds) and the subtitle is the best Engrish ever ("After Chicken Rice Go To Merlion"), on the other: photobooks are basically as creepy as body pillows.

Sorry about the lack of Wizard, it just came out so I'll probably have that post up on Monday. I should have some Go-busters posts up next week though.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Okay. We're on to Episode 5 of Wizard now, and it's shaping up to be a really great show. Hopefully it doesn't take a nosedive in later episodes.

So far, the prominent theme within Wizard is hope through despair. Haruto, the primary protagonist of Wizard, is  someone who brings hope; both through his actions and through his desire to help people.

The primary cast is okay. Koyomi has a complicated story behind her that is tied inexorably with Haruto's, and she is not quite human and thus able to contribute to fights. Rinko is a police officer who was the first victim of the show, and has been there to add her support behind Haruto's since. Shunpei is... an annoying fuck.

The show does seem to be falling into the same trap as Fourze and OOO did before it; having a number of minor trinkets that are rarely used. This is annoying, as some of the rings that have been shown genuinely do seem interesting (Copy, Barrier, Sleep).

Something I really like, though, is that although the show does have a gimmick in the Drago fights, they are not used every fight- the Phantoms do not get their victims every time. This makes the show a lot less predictable than Fourze, where you knew that the person featured in the episode would end up a Zodiart.

I am definitely going to keep watching Wizard. It has the potential to take over W's spot as the best of the Kamen Rider shows I have watched.

• edited 2012-10-01 06:23:57

Okay. We're on to Episode 5 of Wizard now

Cannot read rest of post unless I want to get spoiled really badly for 3&4.

Nevermind, couldn't stop myself.

having a number of minor trinkets that are rarely used.

Toys Nova, toys. It's much easier to get kids to pay for the (relatively cheap) belt and the modules that make it do stuff than to get a really expensive toy that doesn't really offer too much outside it's main features.

an annoying fuck.

I like Shunpei, he's so optimistic yet scary (I've only seen up to episode 2 though...)

Kamen Rider Wizard #01: It's Showtime! (Which should have seriously been the name of this episode...)

We start with a pretty standard Magic show set up. People created and used magic, then forgot all about it as technology opened up new doors. Not that I dislike the generic, I always really liked this type of explanation for some reason. We see Haruto sitting on... something and eating Doughnuts before Garuda (Who is much cooler than the Foodroids could have ever hoped to be) tells him he found something. He summons his bike, which apparently sits in hammerspace and rides off to the scene of the crime. The police, led by Izumi from Un-Go (Here named Rinko) enter a building to save some workers who have been taken hostage. Rinko's senior asks her if she can handle it and she says so, right before laying eyes upon some Ghuls. They try to shoot them but nothing works. Before the situation gets too out of hand Haruto appears and what ensues is one of the best opening fight scenes of all time (with the best music ever too, aside from the theme song). Eventually, the monster is driven away.

The monster reports to Medusa and Phoenix, who are our sub-bosses for the season. Medusa reminds him (and tells us) that their job is to create Phantoms from despair so their boss Wiseman can come back and open a Sabbath. Back at the factory, Rinko introduces herself to Haruto, who explains to her that the Phantom was after a Gate, much like himself. He brushes her off but before he can leave she arrests him. In jail, Haruto tells her to leave the Phantoms to him, but she doesn't buy it. She says she envies magic users like himself and Haruto has a flashback which shows him refusing to giving in to being a Phantom somewhere in the mountains with lots of other people (There's a laughing girl who looks just like Medusa behind him). Rinko is called to her boss' office, where she's told to drop the case. She refuses and storms off. Haruto is still hungry from earlier, so he grabs his doughnuts from earlier and sits down for a healthy meal.

Outside Koyomi sees Rinko storm off, she's being followed by her senior who Koyomi senses to be a Phantom. Unicorn appears Haruto's meal is interrupted again and he uses a ring to shrink so he can ride out on it. Outside Rinko tells her boss about her father, which allows him to take advantage of her weakness. He grabs the locket of her father she always keeps around her neck and crushes it and Rinko begins to give into despair. Haruto appears and transforms, giving us another extremely well done fight scene. Wizard shakes hands with his sword and murders the Phantom, but Rinko is already deep in despair. Haruto goes into Rinko's mind (Underworld) and tries to save her, inside there's a Phantom (Obviously since she's a gate) and he fights it with his awesome dragon thing. He defeats it once again by the power of manners (shaking hands) and Rinko is now no longer a Gate. After he leaves one of his rings with her, he and Koyomi drive off, beacons of hope.

Rinko wakes up later and sees the ring, happy to know that all that just happened was real and not her going mental.

This episode was nicely paced, it felt like it went on longer than the time should have allowed for but never felt too draggy. The one thing I didn't like so much was the flashbacks since that was a lot of character info given upfront, but the plot wouldn't have worked otherwise so I guess it was a neccessary evil.

Other stuff:
    * This years toyetic stuff is really awesome. Like, really awesome. The rings aren't as cool as the switches but the Plamonsters really kick the Foodroids out of the water, and the WizardDriver is really awesome too.
    * DAT THEME SONG

Toys Nova, toys. It's much easier to get kids to pay for the (relatively cheap) belt and the modules that make it do stuff than to get a really expensive toy that doesn't really offer too much outside it's main features.

Except they don't do anything, toy-wise.

Sleep ring? Barrier ring? Copy ring? They all have effects, but nothing that can be replicated cheaply with a toy.

Fire Ring, Hurricane Ring, Water Ring and Land Ring all do things. They can actually physically change the toy.

The minor rings, however, can't. Unlike the Medals of OOO, which changed OOO's body when he used them, and the Switches of Fourze, which attached different modules to him...

Except they don't do anything, toy-wise.

It's the same principle though, you buy a new module and your DX Belt now says something new. It's been that way since the toys were invented. It doesn't really matter if they can do anything, the point is to pass Sleep ring/Pen Switch infront of the DX belt so it says SLEEP/PEEEEN.

Then they may as well have just integrated it more naturally and done something with Geruda and the others.

It is good for the toys, but it drags down the show, and it's getting annoying.

• edited 2012-10-01 07:50:38

Then they may as well have just integrated it more naturally and done something with Geruda and the others.

It's really hit or miss with these things. Some years it's very well done, others not so much. I don't think it'll drag the show down too much though, since it's just an extra twist or two to the belt per battle.

Kamen Rider Wizard #02: Every show needs a cheery younger character

Haruto is a heavy sleeper since he uses up so much energy during his fights (I feel this will be important later) so it isn't until late in the morning when he wakes up. Shigeru hands him a new ring, but he's not sure what it does yet. Haruto tries to use it on Shijeru and Koyomi, but it affects him instead and he falls asleep again. Cue OP.

Medusa sees a Gate and tells the Monster of the Week to go get him. The kid is either named Yuta or the big kid who comes to help him. The big kid, Shunpei, helps Yuta up when he gets hurt and casts the oddest magical spell known to man (it doesn't do anything, but it's still a really odd spellname). The kids are surprised that Shunpei still believes in magic and run off. Shunpei awkwardly gets up and goes on his way, remarking on the rise of realism in todays world. Before he gets far, he hears the kids shouting again since Yuta fell down again. This time though a Phantom appears. Everybody freaks out and starts to run away, of course Yuta falls down again (I wonder if he was the most realistic fall stuntskid in the group or something) and Shunpei saves him. This time they can't get away from the Phantom but Haruto rushes in and saves the day. The Phantom runs off, annoying Haruto, who doesn't know what he's unleashed upon himself. Shunpei fanboys all over Haruto and he asks Haruto to take him in as an apprentice. Haruto tells him there's no way to learn magic, but he doesn't give up.

Rinko is called into her boss' office again, but this time Deputy Liutenant Very Important Man Zero is there. He tells her to let the case go and move on with her life, but she refuses. She storms out again and looks down at the ring Haruto gave her, still determined to save the world alongside him.

Shunpei follows Haruto around with his own magical ability to annoy people out of their minds. Somehow, Haruto manages to catch break for long enough to get a donut, but once again Shunpei is on his back. Haruto decides to hear him out.

Rinko uses her detective skills to find the shop where Haruto lives with Koyomi and Shigeru live. She mentions again how badly she wants to learn magic, making Koyomi explain to her exactly why being as awesome as Wizard is sucks. She explains the entire Phantom making ceremony to her and how Haruto survived through it, earning the right to become Wizard (In the mysterious Wizard guy who gave him the Driver's eyes and also handed him Koyomi). Koyomi also survived, but for unknown reasons and also lost her memory.

Haruto listens to Shunpei, but ultimately still refuses to become his teacher. Shunpei leaves and goes to read his old favoraite book, the one where that odd spell comes from. He leaves and goes into the city before the Phantom and some Ghuls attack again. Shunpei somehow casts a reals spell using that weird chant frome earlier and Haruto realizes that he's the Gate. Rinko saves Shunpei and takes him to safety while Haruto defeats all the Ghuls. The Phantom escapes on a bike and Haruto follows, leading to yet another fight/chase scene that must be mentioned because this show has the best action director ever. Wizard seemingly 'defeats' the Phantom.

This was yet another great episode, even Fourze and Hibiki's first two weren't this strong. The plot seems to have gotten rolling and I can't wait to learn more about the magical world; Kamen Rider White Wizard, Koyomi (notably, the scene from the PVs where she uses some kind of spell still hasn't appeared yet), Wizard and the rings.

Next time: Will Shunpei get to keep his Gate powers and risk becoming a Phantom every time he gets depressed? Why is he putting on magic shows in the preview?

Things I've noticed:
    *Phantom's Medusa and Phoenix are very thematically consistent in both forms costume wise, I like that.
    *They... didn't do exactly what they did with Rinko ala Fourze. I like that.
    *Did they notice all the rainbow mentioning they did with the donuts? Especially with one of the main characters being named Rinko?
    *Is that one donut person with the huge hair a guy?

Is that one donut person with the huge hair a guy?

Yes, and he is also gay.

^ I honestly thought he was an old lady back in the PVs. Why Japan, why?

Kamen Rider Wizard #03: Not so magical.

Shunpei is extremely excited after learning about his magical abilities. At home base, Koyomi is mad to see Rinko back, as she used to be Haruto's main and only field support. Special Man Agent Zero is informed of Rinko making contact with Team Wizard and wishes to keep the entire thing on the downlow.

Shunpei is performing magic for the kids with his annoying spell (Chichin pui pui) and luck seems to be on his side, as an (obviously evil) TV personality sees him and promises him a chance to be on TVnot!Asahi! Haruto overhears this and tries to convince Shunpei otherwise, as he's wary of the situation. When they sit down to have doughnuts (which, as I've noticed, Haruto can never seem to get) Shunpei can no longer perform magic. Haruto theorizes that a Phantom is performing the trick for him, but Shunpei thinks Haruto is interfering with his powers to discourage him and leaves.

Phoenix is pissed at the Phantom for being so weak and losing to Haruto. Medusa stops him and tells him to not give up yet. The Phantom is still alive, as it can literally hide in the shadows.

Haruto is expressing his worry about Shunpei to Shigeru, who recounts their initial meeting and Haruto's determination on that day. He also hands Haruto a new ring, which he hopes WILL LIGHT THE PATH HE NEEDS, capitalized in case that wasn't obvious enough.

Haruto gets a call the next morning from Rinko, Shunpei is on TV! Haruto puts two and two together and speeds off to the studio. On stage, Shunpei tries and tries again to use his magic fire trick but fails. The hosts and production staff are embarrassed and Shunpei is embarrassed in front of every Japanese citizen with a TV. The TV personality who called him reverts into his Phantom form and forces Shunpei to burn the Chichin Pui Pui book to most of the audiences cheers of never having to never hear that saying again... oh, and Shunpei's dark despair. Haruto arrives and another great fight ensues (Hello Water!), after the monster's defeat, Haruto goes to Shunpei and enters his Underworld, where he defeats the Phantom within him.

The next day when Rinko goes to home base angry about the lack of magic coverage in the media despite the live broadcast, Shunpei is there being Haruto's slave. Shunpei has decided to become Haruto's packmule and the rest of the zoo to support him with everyday stuff. Rinko also brought donuts, which everyone but Haruto and Koyomi get.

Speaking of Koyomi, she's standing away from the group, sad because of all the new additions.

Another very good episode, I honestly did not see that "Phantom giving magic" twist coming, well played.

Next time: There is a black person in tokusatsu a Japanese TV show, this will in not end well. Oh and a Piano player... and a Koyomi arc!

Also: Did anybody notice the tights under Shunpei's shorts, Ao from E7AO wears a pair like them too and so do some K-pop artists. Is that a thing now?

So, yeah, I'm really liking Wizard, both as a show and as a character.

Huh, they reused the set they used for Dr. Maki's mansion from OOOs as the set for this episodes rich guy's house. Kooky. 

Did they?

Huh. I hadn't noticed.

Well, I guess it's kinda expensive to build new expensive sets...

• edited 2012-10-17 13:39:13

Kamen Rider Wizard #04: Pianos, Dolls and Lazy People (Pretty Close to the title of the actual episode, surprisingly)

Early in the morning, Haruto tell Koyomi to come over so he can do something for her. Despite her protests, she eventually comes over and puts her hand on the WizardDriver, which makes her glow. Rinko walks in and watches this. When they're done, Rinko asks what exactly Haruto did to Koyomi, but he doesn't explain and has some Donuts that Shunpei brings in.

At a prestigeous music academy, a pianist is... playing the piano but stops, frustrated with himself for some reason. He tells his teacher, who thinks he's doing well, that people expect much more from him than what he's giving. I like this scene a lot, it's not very often that you get to see how much a performer is aware of their audience and what they expect from them (Well, usually idol shows do this but it ends up "We should do our best!" and not "I can tell that they'll think I'm not up to par.")

Oh no, it's the not Japanese guy, and he has to show up for more than seven seconds, this won't end we-

Okay, so he's not showing off any obvious stereotypes, he's just a lazy bum sleeping in the sun. Medusa and Phoenix force him to wake up and tell him to attack a Gate, which happens to be the pianist from earlier. The Phantom goes after our pianist friend, Eisaku, threatening to cut off his hands but is stopped by Haruto. Rinko appears on the scene and takes Eisaku to safety as Haruto fights off Cat Sidhe. Cat Sidhe, being the laziest Phantom ever, pulls a "Screw this I'm tired now" and runs away.

Thankfully, Haruto explains Eisaku's gate status off-screen and he allows the Wizard Club to guard him, but from outside his house. This annoys Rinko, who is trying to settle into the role of helping Haruto (Shunpei honestly doesn't care 'cause Haruto is his religious deity now). Koyomi comes with them and tells them Haruto only needs her, since she can see Phantoms disguised as Humans. Rinko tells her that they're the same, they've all been helped by Haruto, but her heart to heart is screwed up when she notices Koyomi is not human temperature.

Medusa and Phoenix have to threaten to take a bite out of Cat Sidhe before he goes after his target again. This time, he goes in human form and is immediately noticed by Koyomi. As soon as he knocks on Eisaku's door he's apprehended by Haruto. They start to fight again before Eisaku runs away. Haruto goes after him and so does the Wizard Gang. Medusa takes an interest in Koyomi, noticing that she could threaten any other plans she tries to make. Cat Sidhe leaves to go after Eisaku but Medusa has the Wizard Gang minus Haruto cornered. She grabs Koyomi with her tentacle hair (sadly, it doesn't turn Shunpei and Rinko to stone or anything) and analyzes her. After realizing she's a 'doll' powered by magic, she sucks up her energy, leaving her 'dead'.

Haruto stops Cat Sidhe from catching Eisaku just before he cuts his hands off, much to Eisaku's dissapointment which Haruto notices. He fights off Cat Sidhe before getting a call from a freaked out Shunpei who tells him Koyomi is dead. He goes back after her and once again fills her with magical energy, just as he did in the morning. While Shunpei absolutely loses his mind and Rinko tries to piece together what just happened, the Cat Sidhe shows up and Haruto manages to capture it with ease. As soon as he's about to finish it off the WizarDriver gives him an "Error" message, Haruto doesn't have enough magic or energy left to defeat the Phantom. All the magic that he was using to hold the Phantom in place evaporates and...

To be continued.

Notes:

• The Kamen Rider Girls have gotten infinitely better, while Saite was okay (even if it seemed ripped right out of BRIGHT's discography), Last Engage and Mystic Liquid are awesome and somewhat unique due to idol groups usually hating doing the hard rock thing.

• Is Shunpei wearing leggings under his shorts or is he just a really, really bad painter?

• I really really like the WizarDriver's magitech system.

Next time: Koyomi is annoyed, Pianist is annoyed, Cat Sidhe just wants to go to sleep, Rinko is confused, Haruto is sleepy and Shunpei is... well... Shunpei-ing.

Shunpei is infinitely punchable is what he is. 

Kamen Rider Wizard #05: Acceptance

We pick up where we left of in 04, with the WizarDriver giving an "Error" message and Haruto's magic failing. He improvises and decides to take the Phantom down with his WizarSwordGun but even this pushes him over the limit and he detransforms. Cat Sidhe, finally free of the Wizard menace, takes off to sleep some more.

Cat Sidhe is interrupted once again by Medusa (and her extremely bad hairdo) and Phoenix. Medusa tells him that she eliminated Koyomi, but Cat Sidhe sets her straight, mentioning that she was with Haruto in their last battle.

Haruto is completely drained of energy and Koyomi blames herself because Haruto lost his energy while trying to help her, so she stays by his side as he rests. He wakes up and they talk a bit. He reminds Koyomi of the first day after the Mass Phantomization and tells her that then, she was very similar to Eisaku, living in the past. Koyomi decides to go see Eisaku, so she can try to cheer him up. Meanwhile Shunpei is freaking out over Koyomi's status as a not-quite human being, Rinko is merely curious and Wajima explains to both of them what Koyomi is. She's a leftover gate (*cough*Medusa'sGateCallingItNow*cough*) and the Phantom inside her took everything aside from her consciousness and ability to live. She can only continue to live if Haruto supplies her with magical energy.

Eisaku is frustrated and actually considers putting his hand through a mirror so he can't play in the next day's competition, but ultimately is too scared to. He breaks the mirror instead. Koyomi is at his door, and following her and Rinko and Shunpei. Koyomi doesn't want them there, but Eisaku, afraid his neighbor's will think he's started selling drugs or something, lets them all in. Koyomi talks to Eisaku, trying to get him to move on from his past successes and the stress they're causing him now.

The next day, Koyomi, Rinko and Shunpei sit in the wings waiting to watch Eisaku perform. Outside, Haruto pre-empts Cat Sidhe and defeats him quickly. Takagi loses his competition, but has found his love for performing again and decides to study abroad. Obviously, this decision is not in any way related to his fear of getting mauled by the local cat monsters trying to literally depress him to death.

Koyomi decides to treat Haruto to some donuts. Rinko asks permission to go along with them (Shunpei would go anyway because he hasn't given Haruto his daily sacrifice or something) and Koyomi tells her to do whatever she wants with a smile.

Next time: Either Haruto or Shunpei is in love! And it doesn't seem to be a February 14th Easy Way Out Of Writing A Plot episode!

Kamen Rider Wizard #06: Everyone is in Love!

Shunpei is speaking in every language imaginable and Koyomi asks him why. He's apparently doing it for his new sweetheart, who also happened to sell him all these language textbooks. Koyomi realizes he's been ripped off, but he merely tells her there's no way she could have swindled him. If she'd swindled him, why would she give him a free set of flags from around the world?

Wajima also has a new love, a fellow antique lover who he met at the museum. He and Shunpei feed off each other's natural stupid pheromones and Shunpei manages to convince him his outing with his sweetheart is a date, exciting Wajima beyond belief. Haruto comes in and wonders what it would feel like to have such a beautiful encounter with a mysterious woman.

We cut to Medusa and Phoenix, who are visiting a Phantom's 'Fine Living' store. He know exactly why they've called upon him and he's ready to go.

Haruto stops at the donut shop from rainbow hell and find Ryuu, the employee, also in love. He's so in love he's bought ten or so sets of power beads from his beloved because apparently, Japanese men don't see a lot of normal non-cop non-magical girls in the Wizard universe.

Later in the day, a young couple settle outside a fine Country Club and Kouichi, the loving boyfriend he is, gives his dearest Manami a new set of accessories. Their ridiculously cute date is cut short by the Phantom's appearance. He tries to scare them with the threat of death, but he's stopped by Wizard. He almost instantly retreats into a hole in the ground. Wizard sends Unicorn after him.

Haruto goes to not!Miu's house with Manami and Kouichi. Kouichi inherited this house from his parents, who had at least 75% more sense than he does. After Haruto explains the situation to them, Rinko shows up and a very aww inducing scene follows. Manami is uncomfortable around Rinko and asks to be left alone as she goes to work. Kouichi is uncomfortable with this plan and Haruto offers to go with her. He's instantly flustered around Manami, though not to the extent of stupidity.

Medusa and Phoenix ask the week's Phantom why he didn't fight Wizard to the death, but he reminds them that it's far from his job. He also tells them that they needn't worry, as he has Manami's scent already and will track her easily.

After failing to truly woo him (Only getting him to admit that he has no care for money and diamonds), Manami gives Haruto the slip and goes off to 'her job'. She takes a break on a park bench, where she sees a family that reminds her of herself when she was young. Chiding herself, she gets up and is on her way to 'work'. Back at the mansion, Rinko makes small talk with Kouichi. She discovers that Kouichi has bought 700 or so boxes of heath food that Manami recommended to him.

Manami, after a change of clothes, goes to the park, where she meets Shunpei a little too early. She's his lovely language book pushing sweetheart. She tries to get away from him, only to see Haruto, so she uses him as a human shield instead. Sadly for her, Wajima also chooses this exact moment to show up and so does Ryuu. She's all of their [whatever] selling girlfriend. Haruto finally sees the commotion and asks her why she does this, she says it's not wrong in any way. She didn't really force them to buy anything.

She goes off on her own and is captured by the Phantom, Unicorn alerts Haruto and they go after her.

In the sewers, Haruto confronts the Phantom and takes out a group of Ghuls. He saves Manami and she asks him why he would, he tells her he doesn't care who or what she is, because saving people regardless is what he should do. He goes off toward the Phantom, who drops a ton of rocks on him and runs off. When he finally gets out, Manami is gone too...

Next time: Runaway Manami and the smell of humanity!

Okay. Just finished Wizard 8.

Wizard really is becoming my favourite Kamen Rider to date.

(Warning, spoilers to follow.)

We start off with a reintroduction of the White Wizard plotline, with a White Garudo (the little red Dragon toy) delivering a parcel for Wajima. This is really cool- Fourze had a tendency to forget its main plotlines existed in favour of its two-episode arcs, while so far, Wizard has done a superb job at handling both its main plotline and its two-episode arcs.

Later, we're introduced to someone who knew Haruto when he was a kid. She alludes to events in Haruto's past- and then, we immediately go on to actually see these events. No leaving his past completely unexplored like Shotaro, no seeing the same scene repeated over for 40 episodes like in OOO, no having us told that his parents are dead and then not exploring that- we actually see Haruto and his parents get into a car crash, and then we see Haruto standing in their hospital room, told that he brings them hope, just before he dies.

And this episode seems to be hinting that Haruto is not as outwardly optimistic as he appears. It's hinted that he may be depressive, or otherwise broken- which would fit in, as Haruto's Gate is still there, his Dragon is not gone.

Lastly, the episode so far has driven home a genuine sense of jeopardy. We're not introduced to a new, unimportant Phantom this episode- no, we're facing Phoenix this time. This allows for us to not only see that Wizard is clearly outmatched, but Phoenix's actions are explored a bit more.

In this episode, it's stated that Phoenix has killed a Gate before. That's a pretty shocking revelation in itself- but this time, he is sent out against a Gate who is a child. And then, near the end of the episode, Phoenix reveals himself, having beaten the kid's mother. In fact, at one point, he tosses her away limply, and she doesn't react at all, so it's hinted that she may even be outright dead.

Some things are still annoying me, though. Shunpei is continuing to be childish and annoying, and is moving into 'active liability' territory. The use of the rings is heavily foreshadowed in each arc. Haruto appears to be getting a new form next episode, bringing him up to Fourze in terms of how fast he gets new forms.

Bluh.

Overall, I really like Wizard, though.

• edited 2012-10-22 12:49:16

Kamen Rider Wizard #07: Moving On Revisited.

We begin with our three pink clad friends (not counting old lady-slash-weird man donut owner) who are crying over their precious Manami. As they go through the five stages of grief at fast forward Rinko confronts Haruto about his little crush on Manami, he gets flustered and changes the subject very quickly. Haruto also grabs the ring Wajima was going to give Manami, it's the Smell ring, which causes the wearer to smell very bad.

Medusa and Phoenix confront their Phantom, the lovely cultured Gnome, who luckily has just found Manami's scent again. Rinko takes some time to go check up on Kouichi, who reveals that he had his doubts about Manami. She also heads to the gym to look for some clues and luckily finds her home address, on her way she gets a call from her weary captain but brushes him off. Manami is running off to swindle somewhere else but she's halfway through packing when the Phantom arrives. Luckily, Haruto and Rinko are on their way and stop it before it hurts her. Rinko tries to help her out, but Manami throws her off and starts off.

Haruto confronts Manami later at her favoraite spot, which she's surprised he could find. She tells him her life story, her father was swindles and lost their only family home, the house in the picture Rinko found earlier. Her parents died soonafter and she's never been able to move on. Haruto reminds her that she isn't unique or special, and that people do suffer things like this. The important part is helping each other to get through them. Before Manami can let this sink it, she and Haruto see smoke coming from the house. The Phantom is burning it down.

Haruto races to the house and uses Water Style to extinguish the fire before Manami can lose hope. He gives her one last piece of advice before he takes off for the Phantom. In a well choreographed fight (Whack a mole hand!) Wizard defeats the Phantom and goes back to check on Manami.

Manami decides to move on with her life and take the punishment she deserves. Rinko drives up the road and surprisingly, Kouichi is with her. He says he'll buy the house and one day, when Manami is ready, he'll sell it to her.

Notes:
    a) This is seriously the best episode of Wizard I've seen, the way it humanizes Manami, the way it treats prison like a punishment for crime and not a hellhole where only the worst of the worst go, how Kouichi handles the entire situation and... basically everything.
    b) This episode had a surprising lack of Shunpei.
    c) JUNO, is it just me or did you model your album covers after Fire, Water and Hurricane?                           d) Really Bandai? Web shop "Only if you're in Japan" exclusive on a base form?

The magazine also shows the first image of S.H. FiguArts Kamen Rider Wizard Water Style to be released as a Tamashii Web Shop Exclusive this March 2013, for 3675 yen.