If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in tokusatsu!

Comments

• edited 2012-05-22 00:44:39

Kamen Rider Fourze #36: With JK leaving the Kamen Rider Club to re-found Gene God and Kengo, Yuki, as well as Tomoko having their lives drained by Capricorn's rock, the Club splits up, with Gentaro going for some secret training whilst Damonji, Miu, and Ryusei try to stop JK from broadcasting his destructive radio show. Meanwhile, Leo theorizes that Capricorn - fused with the power of the Supernova - might be able to find the long-lost Core Switch, and is thus authorized by Gamou to put his plans in motion. Can Gentaro learn the power of rock and save AGHS from turning into burned-out zombie-groupies? 

I question the wisdom of revealing your secret identity to the whole school. That's practically painting a target on your head and declaring war against the Club. But, it's good to see the final form fail at least once, which I think is the first I've ever seen of such a thing. Also, Leo's Horrorscope trait brings to mind franchise-changers like Decade and Gokaigers. That said, this episode seems to be about childhood's end, and I like what it does with it. 

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters #13: When Yoko's super-secret mystery tour is interrupted by the emergence of the Tubaroid, the Go-Busters are called into action on their day off. But with the Tubaroid seemingly weak and the emergence of not one, but two Megazords, can the Go-Busters play along with Enter's game of tricks?

Not much to say about this episode, really. Well, aside from Enter still continuing to implement even more misdirections and feints in his works, which I like. But next week's episode seems interesting. 

• I'm a damn twisted person

I really liked the fight between Meteor Storm and Leo this week. Reminding us that Ryusei is still a martial artist and it has that whole cheesy "my failings were part of a bigger attack!" twist I like when it is pulled off in a way that makes sense. And it was interesting to see that Gamou is surprisingly fair towards Capricorn. The guy did what he set out to do, he just lost to Fourze, so memory wipe instead of chucking him off into space.

• edited 2012-05-22 19:09:02

Oh yes and Kamen Rider Fourze/OOO: Megamax is out.

So go watch it. Go go go go go go

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

For some reason my file of it is screwed up, like it'll get all pixelated at random times.

I had that problem with large swatches of odd color. Updating my CCCP player fixed that and Toku fun was had.

• edited 2012-05-22 22:56:24
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I'll check that out. It happens occasionally and it's been annoying.

EDIT: Don't suppose you have a link?

Not gonna lie. At the end of this week's Fourze I teared up a little.

I just googled CCCP. It cleared out the old and installed the updated version automatically.

Yeah, I figured that out, but thanks all the same. =)

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Relevant:

More toku this July!

Well, there goes any plans of studying and being serious about university...

So one thing about Fourze that has been bugging me. It lacks the whole "a man is made a monster but chooses to be a hero" bit that is central to Kamen Rider and has lead to some of the more powerful scenes in the franchise. From the original riders 1 and 2 being made cyborgs by Shocker to Phillip realizing he was data all along or Eiji turning into a Greed, Fourze lacks that element. It's not about just using the same power source as the bad guys to fight them, it's having that evil leave a permanent mark on you and deciding to be better than it. Granted in W and OOOs the revelations came later in the series, but Fourze seems to cheery for this sort of thing, you know? 

• edited 2012-05-28 21:34:10

We'll just have to wait and see. Decade - for example - seemed to do nothing with the concept until well after the series ended. 

I trust that Fourze will come up with something that fulfills the core idea of its franchise soon enough. 

Also: This week's edition coming soon. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Okay. So, I haven't actually watched Fourze for over a month, so I finally caught up today. From episode 30 to 37.

Something that strikes me about Gentarou is his core concept.

Basically, Gentarou is... an idiot. He's overly cheerful about everything, he's not very smart, he's hotheaded, and he often leaps in feet-first without understanding the situation. But he has a good trait, that makes up for all of this; he... understands. People, that is. Even if he doesn't personally know what someone is going through, he tries his best to put himself in their issues, so he can try to see the situation from their point of view. And often, that's enough to give people the support they need to overcome their problems.

This is contrasted quite well with the Horoscopes. The Horoscopes are devious, self-serving people, who put themselves above all else. They can never understand each other; and because of this, they can never truly to work together, and thus they can never have the web supporting them that Fourze has.

Fourze has Kengo, always ready to help Fourze devise a strategy to defeat the newest opponent; Ryusei, always ready to back Fourze up on the battlefield; Yuuki, cheering Fourze on and giving him moral support; Chad (the football guy, wassisname i forget what his name really is) ready to fight with him and punch way out of his weight class just to give Fourze the repreive he needs on the battlefield; JK, who is ready with information they need; wassername the Leader of the Kamen Rider Club, who keeps everyone focused and on the ball; and Creepy Goth Girl, who does nothing in particular for the team but is kept around anyway.

So, while Fourze himself is not strong enough to take on the Horoscopes, in this case, Gentarou's ability to understand people, and thus the bonds he has formed with those people over time, will carry him further than Fourze could ever go alone.

• edited 2012-05-30 21:51:19

Football Guy is Daimonji, Cheerleader is Miu, and Creepy Goth Girl is Nozama. 

That said, this here's this week's installment of shows.

Kamen Rider Fourze #38: When a new, determined, and space-loving transfer student - Erin Suda - appears, seeking to place in the AGHS Astronaut Selection Trials, Gentaro reacts predictably by trying to befriend her. But with Yuki offending the new pupil with her free-wheeling, ridiculous ways and the emergence of the Aquarius Zodiarts, can half of the Kamen Rider Club pull it together, face the harrowing trials of the astronaut trials, and take their place amongst the stars? 

Another fine episode with the introduction of a new - somewhat antagonistic - character, as well as a seemingly-unstoppable villain. As to its flaws, I wonder why Gentaro gets surprised when he sees the same trick repeated twice and three times. I hope we're seeing another wave of Kamen Rider Club member focused-episodes, with their own goals coming under fire, their friendships tested against the end of the freedom of adolescence. 

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters #14: With the Tubaroid seemingly rising from the ashes more powerful than ever Yoko - in a sugar-deficient moment of weakness - gets captured. Ordered to stand down and let the Megazord leech massive amounts of Enetron under the threat of Yoko's death, can the Go-Busters solve the mystery of the useless tune, stop playing second-fiddle, and stop the cacophonous riot of the Tuba Megazord?

I do love Enter's clever yet simple plans and schemes. Another thing I do love is Over-Time, for translating a stream of "baka" ad nauseam into a string of the inventive expletives. And there's another thing I do love, which is light-hearted insult-based humor between friends. I love so many things about this episode. 

• edited 2012-06-09 00:49:43

Kamen Rider Fourze #39: The astronaut selection trials continue, and Suda Elleen continues her grudge against Yuki. Meanwhile, Gentaro meets for the first time Chairman Gamou, both impressing each other tremendously. But with Elleen's and Leo's patience waning, and Yuki being especially closed-mouth about the results of the last trial, can the loaded footrace of the final trial go off without further incident? 

I wonder if Leo's devotion to Gamou is based in a form of hero worship or indebtedness. The final fight with Aquarius, absent of excitement and music, brought a perfect sense of wistfulness and regret as intended, and I also liked that they did not feel a need to directly explain the source of the Horrorscope's apparent invincibility, choosing instead to hint and allude. Every part was timed to perfection, from Gentaro's need to hold back his sobbing after his dreadful deed, to the rainy setting, to the feeling of going-through-the-motions. When Aquarius went down, it feels like a tragedy. 

Next episode: the inevitable school counsel, Gentaro's new look, Taurus' ascension, and New School Rules!

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters #15: A new Buster and Buddyroid appear, claiming to have escaped Hyperspace and being awfully secretive about it. Meanwhile, Ryuji remembers an old friend of his and Enter learns that the Enetron he stole is being wasted somehow. With the punch-clock rampage of the Vacuumroid, can the Go-Busters recover the stolen Enetron whilst contending with a new set of rivals?

I don't know how old the actor playing Beet Buster is, but he does seem to be the oldest I've ever seen. And while I do like the mechanic of borrowing armor components from Buddyroids so both become Busters, I don't understand how Beet Buster can transform with aforementioned armor parts still on the Buddyroid. That said, I think my favorite Metaroid is the Vacuumroid, his character being a haggard, weary worker who just wants to get his job done and is frustrated at every turn. All-in-all, another good episode with new characters, new toys, and new character dynamics. 

Nest episode: Duelling with fellow Busters, selfish Buddyroids, and new Buster Machines with the Man From Hyperspace!

I thought I might pick up doing recaps of Akiba since it sort of makes sense now.

Sort of.

Man golf is just terrible.
  • Fuck golf, it's Taurus' way of attacking Fourze itself.

No story with a double dutch duel will ever be terrible.

Nevermind, I won't be doing Akiba. It's gotten way too meta to explain.

The characters have gained sentience. THEY KNOW THEY'RE ON HIKOUNIN SENTAI AKIBARANGER!

It could be worse. There could be a running set of subtitles the characters are arguing with. 

• edited 2012-06-26 13:28:18
    There is love everywhere, I already know

THERE WAS

Okay, they weren't arguing with them, but they noticed a link to the Akibaranger website (The one that usually plays during the episodes) on screen and it was freaking weird.

By that I mean Nobuo grabs them so Yumeria and Mistuki can read them.

• edited 2012-07-27 13:24:48

THREAD NECRO ACTIVATE

Kamen Rider Fourze #43: Evil Yuuki!

Yuuki is being Yuuki and talking about Space Voices when Gamou hears her. Apparently he's heard the Space Voice too and he asks Virgo to Laplace Eye Yuuki. Surprise Surprise, Yuuki is a Horoscopes. She goes around school doing horrid things and acting generally insane (Which is genuinely creepy if you ask me). After almost trying to murder Miu she incriminates herself infront of the entire club. Yuuki is angry at them for having such little faith in her (and at Gentarou for forgetting something important) and goes home where she meets Faceless Yuuki, who actually committed all those crimes.

Yuuki is the Gemini Horoscopes and her Zodiarts/Evil side has split off from her and will eventually be the 'real' Yuuki when she gains enough power and the real Yuuki will dissappear. It's already started, since real Yuuki is now faceless.

I like this episode and it's subtle friendship theme, where Gamou is treating Yuuki as a replacement Emoto, after his betrayal last week. For Gamou that 'In the end I still had a friend' line must have stung because it was obvious that he was taking Emoto's loyalty very lightly until that point when he realized Emoto was only in it for the power.

Gentarou's reaction to Yuuki saying they're not friends anymore was cute, so was the really quick "Uchkita" when he was trying to save Miu and Ryuusei being surprised when Yuuki said he betrayed her first.

We also find out why Yuuki's insane: Her parents are Culture Otaku.

Next week: Goth Yuuki!

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, probably next week and KRF 44 & 45 too, and maybe I'll cover the Akibaranger finale.

• Thank you.

Also, I didn't really notice that Id!Yuuki was a replacement Emouto. Good eye.

You're welcome.

Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger #12: Characters VS Creator

Disclaimer: Everything written below ACTUALLY HAPPENED in the episode.

Coming in from last weeks' realization that they're in a TV show called Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger and that the people behind it are trying to end it since their mid-season plot switch failed to fool the characters, Nobuo and the gang try to think of ways to find out who is behind the show. But that's obvious isn't it? The creator! His name even appears first in the credits! So now it's Hatte Saburo V the Akibarangers cast.

First, they try to foreshadow plots that can't be solved in a single episode but fail miserably due to Hatte Saburo having control of the entire cast aside from them and Malshiina. Also; Kozukozu loves Yumeria now and Sayaka is back and an Otaku.

Dr. Z is retconned once again by Mr. Hatte into waiting for the Delusion Empire in space. DeluKnight tells him to unlock his limiter and he does, but he's then betrayed by Malshiina, who doesn't want to watch the constant retconning of her father anymore. DeluKnight then also shoots Malshiina and goes out to fight the AkibaRangers to the death after capturing Sayaka. They rescue her and manage to not fight DeluKnight... until he gets a Mecha and another series ending flag is raised (People crying out for the Akibarangers). Luckily, the Akibarangers have no giant mec- no, Machine Itasha grows and becomes one. No matter what they do somehow DeluKnight's mecha is hurt. It gets defeated by a metal can Yumeria throws.

DeluKnight is back to fighting on foot before Malshiina shoots him, due to the gun she shot her dad with and DeluKnight shot her with only being useful on monsters like him with no blood. The Akibarangers are surrounded in fans and realizing this to be another ending flag, run away.

Dr. Hakase is confronted by her father, who has turned good but doesn't want to embrace him due to it being another ending flag. The Akibarangers say it's okay and they do.

Malshiina is back as boss of the Sutema Otsu and encourages the Akibarangers to fight her as half-heartedly as possible so they can drag this out for 30 or so more episodes and they gladly agree. Too bad 'THE END' text appears. The Akibarangers and Malshiina fight the words together but are still stopped by Mr. Hatte himself appearing and putting his hand over the camera lens.

Overall, Akibaranger was a great series with a wonderfully meta set up created in the last couple of episodes. The final episode was so funny I could hardly keep a straight face through it. That said, it's obvious that only basement dwellers obsessive fans could enjoy this series since it's built on watching at least five toku shows and some anime religiously before coming into it.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It never hurt so much to get exactly what I wanted in a show. :(

• edited 2012-08-08 11:39:37

Sorry about the lack of posts. I thought I'd have time after handing in my homework for the express course that is insanely filled with homework but I thought wrong (It never really crossed my mind that "Here's the homework due next month!" would be answered with "Here's more of it! Extra credit this time!").

I'll try to have Gobusters 20-23 and Fourze 44&45 up by Friday though.

Kamen Rider Fourze #44: Goth Yuuki and Cosmic Storm

Yuuki, not wanting her friends to notice that her face is now missing runs away from them. Gamou Sagittarius mentions to Gentarou&Co that the 'Presenter' will be hosting Real!Yuuki's death and EVil!Yuuki's full birth. Later, we learn that the 'Presenter' is the Space Voice and pretty much everyone who becomes a Zodiarts has heard it in some form or another.

Oh yeah, Ryuusei was taken out of battle and is resting with Tomoko.

Evil!Yuuki is acting like Gamou's dog later that day when he mentions that only the ones who hear said Space Voice can truly be the ambassadors of the earth. Of course our two remaining Generals react to it in their own ways, Leo gets jealous like the dog he is and Libra, actually having two brain sells to rub together, realizes that this means Gamou will get rid of him as soon as he finds Pisces.

When she gets home, her life has been taken over completely by Evil!Yuuki. Yuuki's actress is pretty amazing here, she makes a surprisingly good villain. Anyway, Yuuki then manages to steal the Zodiarts switch and run away. She forgets more and more (Including her friends names) made worse by the fact that the entire Kamen Rider Club is chasing after her and think she's her own double. Gentarou beats the tar out of her and almost kills her before Kengo puts two and two together and realizes she's not Yuuki. Evil Yuuki proceeds to fight Gentarou again. Afterwards, real Yuuki manages to run but is captured by the Generals.

Gentarou finally remembers what Yuuki's promise was, a golden box that he has at home, he and Kengo go search for it. Finally, we get to see Gorou again!

At the ceremony where Real!Yuuki will disappear, Shun, Miu and JK appear and try to stop it from happening, but they're stopped by Sagitarious. Yuuki, in her final dying moments, acknowledges that she did think those things and that evil Yuuki is a part of her. Luckily, Gentarou shows up, box in hand and shows her the 'Space Ticket' she gave him when they were kids. This act of friendship reverses the transformation of the Yuukis.

Gentarou defeats evil Yuuki with the help of Ryuusei's Meteor Storm Switch and the day is saved (for now). During the battle, somebody manages to stop an attack with a light shield of some sort, I couldn't make out exactly who did it but I'm assuming that'll be important later.

I like how the themes of friendship contrast between Gamou and Gentarou, Gamou represents selfish friendship (He becomes friends with people who are like him, Emoto and Evil!Yuuki) while Gentarou merely reaches out to everyone he can get his hands on. In the end, Gentarou's friends remain loyal because he cares and Gamou's leave him because... well, the entire selfish friendship thing is never a one way street (As seen with Emoto).

This episode was really great, I was actually a bit scared when COSMIC MIND suddenly stopped playing during the battle, because I assumed it was a curb-stomp until then. I even cried a little for Yuuki when she was going through her existential angst.

Next Week: Things get real. Libra is a good guy saving his skin and Ran (remember her?) is Pisces.

Kamen Rider Fourze #45: Libra saves his Skin & Ran becomes a traditional Kamen Rider!

It's Kengo's birthday! The entire club is there and they mention how much they've all enriched his life and hand him a present, which is a keychain Gentarou made (And a really bad bulky one at that, but it's the thought that counts). Gamou is also in the lunchroom, making deliciously evil... soup! He gives each of the kids some and gets into a little philosophical thing with Gentarou about friendship. He mentions that being young makes you think your values are unquestionable, the man trying to destroy humanity to meet a Space Voice really needs to look in the mirror.

Gamou has a flashback about finding the core switch (I thought they would find Kengo on the moon or something holding it, but no, just a cool switch).

Principal Hayami shows up to tell ran she won the trip to America that practically turned Yuuki into a Zodiarts (Which I failed to mention when I recapped 44, sorry), but Gentarou and Yuuki, who are suspicious, follow her (They were all visiting Haru in the hospital, no, not the fat Accel World one). Leo attacks Hayami and Ran, so Hayami and Fourze defend her. Leo runs off and Hayami confesses everything about being Libra to the entire KRC.

The club take Ran to Miu's for safekeeping so she can't be forced into pressing a switch, but Leo manages to catch them by to using Aquarius' tentacle. There, he manages to separate the Riders from his targets with Lion!Dustards.

Ran, unable to accept that she can't help her friends (And Hayami, who has shown remorse for his actions) takes the dropped switch Leo had offered her during battle and uses it. To protect what she holds dear and to do what is right, she willingly uses the power of evil but can handle it. Very traditional Rider, huh?

Oh! And Kengo shows up and has another one of his Space AIDS moments (The seventh of the episode, I think). He also finds some of Emoto's data.

In the end, Gamou shows up and does the big reveal (Well, Hayami could have been lying) and wait a second is he brainwashing Gentarou? The next episode preview is not helping either...

Once again, great episode, I can't wait to see what happens next week (Gentarou and Ryuusei turning evil? Questioning his motives?) Sometimes Next Episode Previews are such a pain...

Next Week: Gentarou turns evil?