If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Also, CU what are your thoughts on the ship-teasing between Captain Marvel and Spider-man?

It is very aww.

And when are you going to start reading Amazing Spider-man like the rest of us?

I read New Ways to Die, but there's a lot of comic between that and now. I've been meaning to ask for recmomendations on the highlights over that period of time so I don't have to read every single issue to catch up.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

I think I might've made a bad first impression on my Intro to Economics professor...

• edited 2012-08-05 13:32:41
    You can change. You can.

I read New Ways to Die, but there's a lot of comic between that and now. I've been meaning to ask for recmomendations on the highlights over that period of time so I don't have to read every single issue to catch up.

Start with Big Time (#648) and catch up from there. It should be easy, until you get to Spider Island and want to read all the tie-ins because really they were all great.

But don't. Just read the Spider-Man stuff and then check out the other stuff if you really want to. Best recs would be Cloak and Dagger and Shang-Chi being fuckawesome. 

ETA: Honestly, rereading your rec, I can't think of anything really skippable. Slott's run is seriously incredibly consistent in awesomeness. 

• Can't say I've ever gotten past the world-building phase, but I've thought up power-fantasy characters, later toned down by boosting the challenges they face/creating situations in which their views actually get challenged.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^I'll start with Big Time and once I get caught up from there, I'll jump back to right after New Ways to Die and fill in the gaps.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

re 4chan and @Eelektross:

The problem with trying to start a thoughtful discussion is that you can't count on starting a thoughtful discussion in a place that encourages very quick "my first thoughts on the topic" answers.

Sometimes, thoughtful discussions arise--especially when people are building up a new idea piece by piece--but asking people to evaluate something is probably less likely to produce a fruitful discussion.

• You can change. You can.

no song has the right to be as fun to listen as princes of the universe seriously.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ Oh gosh, not another one.

The saddest part of this is that I have to say "another one".

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

That's pretty tragic.

• edited 2012-08-05 23:09:02
    smote

too damn hot.

↓ aeiou

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.
    Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite.
  • Snake.  Snake.  snaaaaaaaaaaaaa key

• edited 2012-08-06 00:50:27
    Has friends besides tanks now

Holla holla get pound

press space in space to leap through space

In the year 2020 no one gave a shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    john madden

john madden

john madden

football
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

dickbutt

(I don't know what's going on.)

• edited 2012-08-06 02:09:41
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

phuck bich shhit ass? ass! ass? ass! ass? ass!

999 999 999 999 999 999 999 999 999 999 999 999

i did it

you did it

did it

ehbay

• edited 2012-08-06 03:32:54
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>Bane being white was just eugh

Bane's actually white. He was just locked in a South American prison as a child.

Which isn't to say whitewashing isn't a problem of course.

But looks at Damien in the comics. He's quarter-egyptian, quarter-chinese and he's always drawn pasty.

Also, I love Bane's voice so much. It is like putting every Bond villain's voice in a blender.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

It's pretty racist in itself to assume latinos can't be white.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

whatinos

wait no that's just "riddle" in mexican

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

i stayed back an extra like

two hours

at work experience today

woo

it's funny. i actually like working there, i don't mind staying longer than i have to.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

That's good to hear. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

And just... so many of the people who regularly use the library are pleasant, and there are next to no unpleasant people there. You get a few taciturn, grumpy people who refuse to smile, but they never snap at you or anything even if you fumble around a lot and don't know what to do, and most of the people are quite happy to smile at you and just chat about whatever as you scan their books.

It helps that a lot of the people who regularly come to the library come regularly- like, several hours a day, most days of the week. It seems like a lot of old people come in because it's quiet, not as boring as sitting at home alone, and isn't so lonely.

That, and I actually have co-workers who are nice and talk to me. woooo

• I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like fantasy in general, not to say I hate it but I've never seen the point of it. When I try to rationalize this dislike, my brain tells me it's because I have no interest in a world that doesn't exist or in the bizarre instance where it does, I will never visit it. I understand the appeal of epic tales in worlds that don't exist, but I can't get into it like my friends and you guys can.

Personally, I'm more of a scifi/mecha fan, or stuff in the future. Sure there are elements of fantasy in it like adventure and fantastic plot devices, but I like it when they try to explain it using semi-realistic science terminology.

• I'm a damn twisted person

>Convince ninjaclown to watch RaXephon, y/n?

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like fantasy in general, not to say I hate it but I've never seen the point of it. When I try to rationalize this dislike, my brain tells me it's because I have no interest in a world that doesn't exist or in the bizarre instance where it does, I will never visit it. I understand the appeal of epic tales in worlds that don't exist, but I can't get into it like my friends and you guys can.

Well, think of it like this: A good story is still a good story, no matter the trappings or genre. You can still like the character interaction, the way the trappings of it develop, that kind of thing.

• edited 2012-08-06 06:00:00
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

By that token, fantasy is explained via semi-realistic history terminology (in theory). The major difference between fantasy and sci-fi is that the former more or less admits that it's fantasy. A lot of sci-fi tech is pretty much just magic, but handwaved by the explanation of futuristic technology, whether it's halfway possible or not. So fantasy generally errs towards spiritualism, theming itself around visceral human experience in ways that science is incapable of touching. A lot of sci-fi, especially traditional sci-fi, expresses its themes via its strange technologies and bizarre futures; 1984 is the perfect example, asking "what if surveillance technology was widespread enough to keep check on everyone, all the time?". Or, more lately, Moon, which poses questions about identity and ownership in a world where genetic manipulation is not only possible, but seemingly easy. 

But if you look past that, fantasy and sci-fi are fundamentally the same. Both of them, in essence, ask us how we deal with what we don't understand or can't grasp. It could be a dystopian vision of the future or a reflection on a feudal past, where science can't explain all the strange things that happen. It's just that sci-fi falls on the side of analysing social and technological changes while fantasy errs towards spiritual reflection. 

"Science fiction, the improbable made possible; fantasy, the impossible made probable." - Rod Sterling

• Definitely not gay.

no song has the right to be as fun to listen as princes of the universe seriously.

Counterpoint.

Anyways, I saw Madass Alex coming. But am I the only one here who casts himself as a wizard?