If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• IJBM: Anytime anyone mistakes Chinese people/food/culture/history as Japanese. It was funny when I was a little kid and people weren't familiar with the differences when they asked me, but now it happens so often especially on the internet I actually get depressed.

I guess it's the same vice-versa, but I wouldn't know how that feels.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ yes

it is
  • edited 2012-08-07 17:48:34
    I'm a damn twisted person

I wonder if Cute Biker(that's how he is named in the credits) will eventually get an episode where he gets caught up in the supernatural antics. 

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

Does anyone know of any web or browsers apps similar to Google Calendar?

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

^^ more cute biker is always good

• edited 2012-08-07 18:15:40
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

ninjaclown: Here's an anecdote from the time when I played Runescape.

some guy: "wer r u from?"

me: "serbia"

"thats in russia right?"

"it's serbia. not siberia"

"lol same thing"

"no, it's not"

"idc lol"

AAAAAARGH!

• edited 2012-08-07 18:17:55

You're Serbian, Ironweaver? That's pretty cool. I'm pretty sure what you just said broadly applies to GTA IV too.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Indeed, I am.

Joss Whedon is apparently signed on to write/direct The Avengers 2 and that Marvel TV show that people have been talking about lately.

Yes.

So much yes.

• edited 2012-08-07 19:50:50
    You can change. You can.

I am cautiously optimistic about the show and won't watch Avengers 2 until they announce they will regain Spider-Man and Doctor Doom and adapt The Avengers and the Infinite Gauntlet by Clevinger and re-enact this scene:

Also: Got to take my first calls today. It was surprisingly soothing and there were some cute moments, like this guy who was feeding his baby and you could hear her babbling and it was cute and i don't even like babies but i actually sorta wanted to pinch her cheeks but then i remembered that I'm on a phone

twenty bucks say that i'll get jaded in a few days

• I now hope that happens as well. I remember enjoying that comic a lot.

• edited 2012-08-07 20:22:40
    smote

Could Doctor Doom take the Hulk? I get the feeling that's kind of like any given "Batman vs. X" fight and the answer is "yes, with a lot of preparation".

• You can change. You can.

On the other hand, the first rule of the Hulk is that the madder he gets, the stronger he gets.

And Doom's just infuriating(ly hilarious)

• That's a good point. Doom would manage to get Hulk trapped in some crazy mystical-technological device, and then he'd start gloating and he'd be so smug about it Hulk would break free and punch his head into the ocean.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Or if Doom doesn't let his ego get the better of him, just teleport the Hulk into orbit.

but he'd come back

madder.

and with friends.

buggy friends

• Or if Doom doesn't let his ego get the better of him

I don't think that's physically possible.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    That's why I said stop at orbit, not go the full nine yards and shoot Jade Jaws into space. Or shoot him to the moon and send a fleet of Doombots as a chaser.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I think I may have just convinced my dad to start reading Film Crit Hulk.

• Eh, he just reviewed Mass Effect 3 and it was easily one of the most pretentious things I've read in a while.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Haven't read that one yet. What about it bothered you?

• edited 2012-08-07 21:21:48
    Basically he said: "The hell you guys are talking about, the ending was awesome in a thousand artistic and thematic ways, fuck the entitlement attitude of today."

And then he immediately apologized for it.

I'm not saying I agree with him completely because I haven't played any of the games, but I have to voice favor in displeasure of the sense of entitlement that so many of today have.

• It's not a tour, but the video is good.

• edited 2012-08-07 21:29:18
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I feel like the entitlement thing is fair given how over-the-top some of the reactions were, but I think the ending was bad in all the ways that mattered for a Mass Effect game.

The basic plot of the original ending was actually pretty okay, but the thing is, the ME series has always been good in spite of the basic plot, which for most of the series ranges from okay to shit. The things people were actually looking for in the series were long-term agency, consistent detailed worldbuilding and characters they've grown to care about over countless hours. The original ending lacked every one of those attributes. It's like if the next Pokèmon game ended with the best First-Person Shooter sequence ever designed. Okay, fine, that was very clever, but that's not what I bought the game for.

• edited 2012-08-07 21:33:43
    Whereas Hulk's argument is that for games to truly be accepted and grow as art, creators must be allowed to make their own choices and be free from indulgence-catering and audience-pleasing, given liberty to say what they want, however they want.

And maybe games can never get to that state because of the very nature of the medium.
  • edited 2012-08-07 21:38:26

That's all true, except for the notion that games can't ever get there. Bioware had every right to end Mass Effect poorly, and people acting like their consumer rights were being violated were very silly. But a bad ending is a bad ending. No more, no less.

I'm actually kinda glad they managed to make it good with the DLC without changing the story any.

Hulk's a great critic because he's willing to look at what works and what doesn't. In an environment where the discussion of gaming is basically "EVERYTHING'S AWESOME" or "EVERYTHING SUCKS" that is a lot.

• From what I can gather, the things that made the ending bad was that it didn't give gamers the fulfillment they wanted (which I already addressed), and the lack of internal logic.

Hulk was looking past the latter and focus on the emotional and thematic aspects, the spirit of intention.
  • edited 2012-08-07 21:59:59

it didn't give gamers the fulfillment they wanted

It...goes beyond that. In the original ending, the entire galaxy was destroyed and everyone died, with your decision only affecting what color the explosion was.

Now, that wasn't Bioware's intended it to mean, but because they were ignoring rules they'd established previously and didn't really show anything that happened after your choice, that's what they conveyed.

Hulk was looking past the latter and focus on the emotional and thematic aspects, the spirit of intention

The thing is, the original ending doesn't work on an emotional or thematic level either, because emotionally it's entirely dead (Commander Shepard stops having even what little character he had before and nobody else is even there) and its main theme is demonstrably wrong within the setting.

• The main theme being choice?

What if the main theme was cycles, which they talked about since the first game? What if it was all about going back to where you started, one way or another?