If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Old Republic

Comments

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Everybody here has characters on The Razor though
  • probably human

:<

Chose this server because the friend who introduced me to this game has characters there. I guess I'll make characters on The Razor eventually, though.

• ^I'd wait if I were you, dmboogie.  See, the good thing about The Razor is that you've got people from IJBM on it, and...well, that's pretty much it.  I'm glad that Nova talked me into trying this game, but for a while now I've been wishing that everybody had rolled characters on Jedi Covenant instead.

The population of The Razor is very small, as with the majority of the servers, which has led to the whole transfer thing going on right now.  Basically if you want to form a group to run a flashpoint (and have you and your groupmates try to beat the game with your skills and your brains, as opposed to having a level 50 run you through it and one-shot everything for you), then more often than not you will be SOL.

On top of that, The Razor is most likely not going to be a destination server.  It isn't on the list of servers you can transfer to or from for free right now, but it probably will be soon, and when it is we're going to see lots of people move their characters and the server become even more sparsely populated than it is.

So I suggest you wait and see where everybody here ultimately ends up, and then make your third toon on that server instead.

• probably human

^

Ah, I see. Yeah, that makes more sense. (Fourth toon, technically, as I couldn't resist making an Imperial Agent. Yes, I have alt-itis.  

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yeah, in a couple of days, I'll be checking the population of various servers and see which seems to be best. (I would prefer it if we didn't go on one of the really populated servers, because those of us with lower-end computers might have trouble running the game at peak hours.)

I'll also be rolling a character on an Asia-Pacific/Australian server, if anyone wants to play on one of those. :V

• edited 2012-06-14 20:38:21

I might do that after I've finished playing through my current class storylines, Nova.  I tend to be awake at what (in this time zone) are strange hours, so I'm sure there'd be some overlap.

The thing is that I don't believe you're able to choose where you transfer to at this time; you just decide whether or not you do transfer.  Because The Razor finally has a destination server as of this post, along with many other servers:

Certain transfers are complimentary at this time:

Between the following servers:

The Razor to The Shadowlands

[...]

Grand Master Zym to The Shadowlands

Giradda the Hutt to The Shadowlands

Sith Meditation Sphere to The Shadowlands

Elysium to The Shadowlands

[...]

Krayt Dragon to The Shadowlands

Dreshdae Cantina to The Shadowlands

Hopefully the server will be a more fun place than its namesake.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot to remind everybody to get their affairs in order before transferring.  Like if you have something on the market, either wait for it to sell or remove it.  If you're in a guild, don't assume that the rest of your guild is going to be transferring along with you.  To prepare for the worst case scenario, make a note of everything you've got in case some of it vanishes due to some kind of screwup by BioWare.  Also, be prepared to change your name in the event that somebody else on the new server already has it, because if they were there before you then they get dibs.

• edited 2012-06-14 20:50:01
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Man, I haven't decided if I should cancel my account for the next few months yet.

On one hand, I really enjoy TOR, and I want to be able to keep playing it.

On the other, I haven't played it, like... at all in forever, and I sort of want to start saving my money more.

argh

Either way, I'm probably gonna jump ship to Shadowlands if it's free.  I didn't mean to stick you guys with one of the shitty servers.

• No worries Forzare; considering how many people gave up on the game and how the populations changed, the odds of you picking a server at random that was gonna stay really populated were pretty slim.

There is one other thing I forgot to mention about transferring: your mail will not go with you.  This is important if you have stuff in the mail, or money in the mail, but it's also important if you got a letter with sentimental value and you want to save it.  (Either from another player, or from an NPC who wrote something that gave you a WAFF.)  So what I'm saying is, take screenshots before you transfer.

I'm moving Ranis first because he has fewer commitments, and also because I want to test the waters before I go all in.  I'll let you know what the difference is between the servers, if I experience a lot of lag, etc.

It also turns out that I was wrong; you can move to any server you want, but right now the only one you can go to for FREE from The Razor is The Shadowlands.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Yeah, I'm going through and making sure my characters have all their shit before we move.

"Forzare, did you check the bank?"

"Yes, daaaaad. I got my masks and my awesome crystal and everything."

"Tarwin, did you check the mail? I don't want to miss anything important because we- MAEDE, YOU PUT THAT RAKGHOUL BACK OUTSIDE. WE ARE NOT TAKING HIM."

"But he's adorable and awesome and cool!"

"Fine whatever. Now everyone just get in the kriffing ship so we can get off this shithole server."

• MAEDE, YOU PUT THAT RAKGHOUL BACK OUTSIDE. WE ARE NOT TAKING HIM."

LOL!!!

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

he's adorable

welp

I lost Tarwin and Maede, but at least I got to keep Forzare

• edited 2012-06-14 21:48:58
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

FUCK I LOST MY LEGACY NAME TOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

so

need some ideas for names for these two beauties

http://i.imgur.com/t2FbH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qpsMl.jpg

and a good legacy name too

must resist urge to name them after higurashi characters

too late

made my legacy name "Maebara"

and renamed my sniper to re'na

Losing legacy names might help me since I am planning to merge a group of characters from 2 different servers with different legacies.
  • edited 2012-06-14 22:03:24
    I liked having "Nil" as a legacy name. >:

Anyway, I still need to figure out a good name for my Jedi. I managed to not name him "Niinii," but that leaves me with no ideas.
    The Soggybottom legacy
    I already made my legacy Maebara, because Higurashi fanboy.

you should totally use that one
  • Has a nice ring to it, Forzare.

I have no legacy, and I did have to change my Sage's name from Ranis to Raniss.

As for my Powertech, I just began transferring him, so I'll see what his name ends up being and then post it here.

chiss master race represent

• edited 2012-06-15 02:01:50
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

losing legacy levels?

fuck

I had mine at level 10 :<

edit: Nope. Checked, and you retain your highest Legacy EXP Value among all your characters.

In order to determine your Legacy XP on your selected server, we will consider the Legacy XP Level of all characters you wish to transfer, as well as the Legacy XP already present on the destination server (if any), and apply the highest Legacy XP value found among all your characters to your account on the destination server.

• probably human

I'm somewhat tempted to make my legacy name Emiya or Tohno. Of course I am miles away from unlocking it, but still.

• My name wasn't taken on the Imp side, so I'm still "Faress" there.  And I am also a Chiss.

Anyway, what are the chances of forming that guild like we talked about at this point?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Uh...

Please don't tell me I've wasted over two hundred dollars on this game. :V

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    This is pretty much why I never subscribed. Every MMO that goes free to play gets more revenue that way, so it doesn't really make business sense for them not to.

Nah, I could have seen it work. However, they made quite a few massive mistakes at the beginning, which lost them a lot of customers they could have otherwise kept, and that has only been exaggerated by the fans, to the point they've lost literally hundreds of thousands of subscribers.

As it is, they could quite easily keep going- I believe they still have something like 1.2 million subscribers, which is drawing them in $36 million a month, or around $450 million a year.

From what I got from the article, though, they're not looking at it in terms of revenue- they're looking at what will draw in more people to play their game, with revenue being a byproduct to appease EA.

and

Anyway, what are the chances of forming that guild like we talked about at this point?

It shouldn't be that hard. We just really need to get a date set down, which doesn't conflict with anyone's schedule. My job basically doesn't end until 5PM AEST these days, so I'm just trying to find a time on the weekend when Kraken is off work, and we can try it then.

You misunderstand. What I'm saying is not that they're failing, but that free-to-play is a more profitable business plan for MMOs.

Yeah, but I'm saying that I don't think that's why they're changing over. They're doing it to get more people playing the game, with the money not being the primary goal of that. At least, from what I drew from the article.

Yeah, fair enough. But hey, everyone wins.

Except my wallet :(