If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Man, this contraception debate is such a nostalgia throwback.

I can't wait for politicians talking about how Led Zeppelin has commands to hail satan if you play it backwards.

• a little muffled

So I just figured out that Mr. Volcano from that Volvic commercial is Douglas Reynholm from The IT Crowd.

On one hand, my mind is blown.

On the other, how did I not figure it out before, they sound exactly the same.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

He is also Dr Sanchez from Garth Merenghi's Darkplace.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

spanish

y u no have 'would'

• You can change. You can.

You could say, "Lo haria" qualifies, but I'm pretty you're referring to "Would" as a modal verb and not as an actual verb.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

i am. is that a problem? 

• Interesting day. Traffic was terrible, so I was ten minutes late to school (which, as I found out Period two, meant I was marked absent). Period one, had an English test. Period two didn't do anything in Maths since I had a headache, had to get rollcall teacher's signature saying I was at school and found out I'd left my wallet on the bus, so I had to call Mum's mobile, then home, then Dad, then Mum, then home from a school phone (apparently she takes 25 minute showers =/), then Dad called me (ring tone is the Codec Call sound, so I got a bunch of people shouting out "SNAKE!" as I left the room to take it), then he drove down to get my wallet, then I got a loan from a friend to get to the shopping center, then I got my wallet back, then I paid off said person, then I did Ice Skating wherein I helped some children with disabilities skate a bit and broke the mind of a junior, then I went home, and now I've still got a headache.

Go away headache you aren't welcome here.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

My brother's face is sunburned.

I'm not sure whether to be sympathetic or laugh at him, so I've settled on being sympathetic until his face starts peeling, at which point I start laughing.

• Tell him to go and climb a mountain without sunscreen if he complains about it.

i am. is that a problem?

Well, yeah. "Lo haria" only means "Would do", rather than just "Would". that and I think most modal verbs, if not all, don't have a proper translation.

• edited 2012-03-06 23:19:41
    No rainbow star

Now it (the Tsundere one) works

I guess that site and my phone just didn't get along

And interesting

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

We don't need would. We have a full tense for that. It's called conditional tense. Though people tend to set it as a mood nowdays.

• Random thought...I just remembered there used to be someone named [AOD] who gave a pretty heartwrenching personal experience with racism. Who was s/he, and what happened to her/him?

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

He left, because he didn't like the way the forum's culture was changing, he's a goon. Dr. Sunshine.

• edited 2012-03-07 01:10:23

Also, he was the most prominent opposer to some of the anime-related stuff on the wiki, ready to be there for Nakama debate #239586. He was also very argumentative, but nonetheless quite smart. And a meteorologist.

He was also banned over... I dunno, talking on other sites about trolling TV Tropes or something.

• I can see today being stressful. a lot of work to be done and not a lot of time to do it...hmmm

• ADVICE: Don't take a job in radio, especially not an educational job, if there isn't enough resources for everyone to get at least an hour in a recording suite. 

• edited 2012-03-07 04:21:14
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

So, currently playing the first Witcher game. Playing the second one first has turned out to be an interesting experience in terms of seeing the progression of the combat system in reverse. 

Basically, The Witcher 2 is a real-time system that's a bit wonky. Things don't always seem to be triggered correctly, and it's often slow to respond. That said, the action is pretty fast and aesthetically pleasing (even considering Geralt's often flamboyant movements). Both are based on Neverwinter Night's engine, which is called "Aurora" if memory serves. This is important, since the first game's combat system feels like an uneasy compromise between real-time and turn-based; it uses a timer system, where clicking the attack button with the correct timing builds up your speed and damage that culminates in a special finisher if you get to the end of a combo. Movement is limited, and parrying is based on a dice roll rather than an input. Ergo, you spend most of your time standing in one position, clicking the attack button at regular but increasing intervals. 

Having played the old system, I've found a new appreciation for the new one. For all its technical flaws, The Witcher 2 makes an honest attempt at a faster, more involved system. That said, I think the ideal combat system for another Witcher game falls somewhere in between the two, with some other mechanic standards draw from other games. In short:

From the old system, it should retain these things:

- Increased rewards for good timing. 
    - Selectable combat styles. 
    - Chance-based parries (bear with me here, I'll explain why this could be a good thing).

From the new system, it should retain these things:

- A lock-on system.
    - Free, fast movement.
    - The faster pace in general.
    - The way the new system streamlines finishers into a general reward for a stun, no matter how you got there.

Some things that aren't in either game, but should be there:

- Decent strafing. The first game has very slow strafing and the second does away with it.
    - Lock-on should lock the player character's perspective towards the locked enemy; likewise, movement inputs should control the player character relative to the target.
    - Better dodging. Rather than rolls, the dodges should be hops that go with the movement direction. Enemy attack animations should bare this in mind, and be tight to accommodate.

The reason I think random parries that get better as you go are a good idea is because it makes parrying an unreliable option, just like in real swordsmanship. Generally, it's a better idea to dodge and use the opening to counter, so making dodges into hops that don't alter your position too much while allowing you to neatly avoid incoming attacks would work well. It would also reward those who progress their parrying ability with better error control for when a dodge fails. That's essentially what defensive sword techniques are, anyway. 

One final suggestion is to make the player character's attack fall in line with their movement. Despite the influence of the historical European martial arts on both Witcher games, they've never been much for an advanced combat system. To that end, having a single attack button that follows the movements of the player character is probably a good idea. If you're moving right, the attack comes from the left and travels right with the movement. Alternatively, this could be done only when attacking during a hop. This could result in a more standard combat system when taking an enemy front-on, but a much more versatile one when moving around, trying to avoid attacks. Essentially, it would be an extra reward for staying mobile. 

In any case, I now see that The Witcher 2 made a fair few improvements, not least of which was the English voice acting. The English voices in The Witcher have to be heard to be believed. 

Also, I do like how the system in The Witcher 2 brought the gameplay more in line with the intro cutscene in The Witcher. It makes me think that the faster, action-oriented approach is what they always wanted. 

• Fate/Zero Volume 1's OST is out =D

I haven't been this excited for an OST since the 358/2 Days/Re:coded/Birth by Sleep OST came out in early 2011!

• a little muffled

@IanExMachina:

He is also Dr Sanchez from Garth Merenghi's Darkplace.

Yeah, I was actually watching the first episode of that last night and that's when I made the connection.

• edited 2012-03-07 05:36:14
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

-

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The next time I see a post blanked before I can read it, I will try my absolute goddamned best to kick the person responsible in the face.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

It's almost seven am.

Why am I not asleep?

Oh well, might as well try to finish this essay on Moriarty.

• edited 2012-03-07 06:04:25
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

-

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    >sleep from 9PM to 7AM

>what is this heresy

Man, woke up in one of those, "What is my life and what am i even doing?" moods

• A terrible pile of cynicism?

Not a cynic, regardless of my nihilist and skeptical tendencies

• Life feels like that sometimes, especially during these hard economic times. At least no one can take away our right to be depressed.

and then the government introduces mandatory happy pills