If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Daggerfall

Comments

• Every Spider-Man game?
  • edited 2011-10-01 07:49:29
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Prototype? Infamous?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Oblivion.
  • No rainbow star
    Hey, when I have finished a playthough of daggerfall, any good mods to try to fill in the empty plains?

Also you can jump from rooftop to rooftop in Minecraft as well :D
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    I don't think that there are mods for Daggerfall (if you don't count the fan patch).
  • No rainbow star
    =/
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Yeah Daggerfall was before modding really took off. I've heard of a few but could never get them to work.
  • That video I posted was from a work-in-progress engine remake. Once that gets done, there's probably gonna be some new mods using it.
  • edited 2011-10-01 18:06:56
    Little tips to get the best out of Daggerfall melee combat, since Daggerfall is one of my favorite pc rpg of all times:

A) Avoid archery: It's broken for the player. Arrows aren't nearly plentiful enough, and aiming is a bitch

B) Combat is stats based. So your stats decide if you hit or miss.

C) The kind of attack you make has a bonus on hitting or missing. Thrusts hit the most often, but do only base damage (making them useful in the start, less so as the game progress), horizontal swings are the middlemen, average chance to hit, average damage, vertical swings are the hardest to connect, but give the largest damage bonus. Diagonals are the middle ground between verticals and horizontals.

D) Stamina affects your success rate at everything. You will hit more often when the bar's full, and miss more and more as it depletes.

E) When a blow hits an enemy, you will see a splatter effect. Either blood, or white stuff in the case of blood-less creatures like skeletons. A succesful hit also staggers the enemy.

F) A good trick early in the game is to do LOTS of quick thrusts at the enemy. You can chain those fairly fast, making up for your lack of damage or accuracy.
  • No rainbow star
    So keep swinging the mouse up?

Or is there a way to bind a kind of swing to a key?
    Archery is actually not all that bad but you've gotta have at least 30 points in it for it to be useful, and it helps to be in a spot where you can hit them but they can't hit you.

Also, any arrows that hit will be on an enemy's corpse when you search it.
  • edited 2011-10-01 23:06:14
    ^^ I don't remember any binding (if there is. never used it), but yes, repeatedly swing straight up.

As your skill grows (usually when it reaches 40 to 50) you may want to start doing what I call "the lawnmower", swing the mouse back and forth horizontally. Your character will do a slash, then a backhanded slash. You can chain those pretty fast, and they are decent, basic attacks.

^ There's a well known discrepancy between the crosshair and where the arrow goes. Hence aiming being akward. It's also why most guides recommend AoE spells or Touch spells for combat over targeted spells.

Also:

Combat Tip G) Dual wielding is nigh useless. If you are going to stick to a one handed weapon, put an (enchanted) shield in your other hand.

H) Unlike Morrowind/Oblivion, without modding the game or toying with the settings you CANNOT repair magical items. In Daggerfall, Magical items (Especially weapons) are meant to be used to get around tough bit, not as a primary weapon. 
  • edited 2011-10-01 23:11:28
    no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    I'm pretty sure H is wrong. As for G, there is one reason you might want to dual wield: if one weapon is about to break. That way you can immediately switch out (otherwise it takes a few seconds). Early on you may be presented with a situation where the enemy is only vulnerable to certain materials, but you have something made from lesser materials but which simply has a higher damage range, so dual-wielding is good for that too. Once you start getting like Elven weapons and such though, yeah Dual-Wielding becomes almost useless.

And... the arrows hit whatever is in the center of the screen. I don't recall there even *being* any "crosshairs"
  • edited 2011-10-01 23:35:28
    H) Ain't wrong. Not without editing the cfg file. Or modding

The crosshair is toggleable. Useful to pick up stuff and figure out what you are clicking on. And aiming without a crosshair is rather unpleasant. Even with one it's hell.

As for weapons about to break... that's why you check your gear once in a while. Enemies immune to weapons can be avoided rather easily, either by visiting one of the "inns of ever spawning daedric weapons", starting with the ebony dagger, or buying a silver/elvish weapon which most city sell a few off. Even then, Dual wielding takes a far third place in use behind having a shield or using a two handed weapon.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ How would I change it so I can fix magic items and artifacts?
  • Add the line "magicrepair 1" to z.cfg. This will allow an item enchanted with "Repair items" to repair magic items. I don't remember if it lets merchants repair them too. Note that this does not always work, what with Daggerfall being a rather moody, unstable game on the best of days.
  • edited 2011-10-01 23:46:15
    Also, because I am generous, I will tell you this hint:

The moment you leave Privateer's hold, travel to the "Rusty Ogre Lodge" There is an Inn there called the White Goblin. Go upstair. Save

Then loot the chest at the foot of each bed. They should ALL Contain Daedric Items. If they don't, reload. Garantee this happens within three reload cycle. Congratulation, you now are rich for life and have no need for new weapons. Run away, avoid the guards, stay out of the city/country for a while for the law to forget about you.

Also remember: Gold has a Weight. Banks are your friends.
  • edited 2011-10-01 23:45:52
    No rainbow star
    ^ Now to find out where Daggerfall's files are >.> I didn't change the installation location, so that'll help...

And nice :D I guess I sell the items, right?
  • edited 2011-10-01 23:48:26
    Or use them. Daedric Gear is the strongest gear in the game. Except it weights a ton and a half. You may want to avoid having more than 1 or 2 Daedric weapon till you max your strength. Be careful, merchants may pay you in letters of credit rather than gold, coz that may give you more gold that you are physically able to carry.
  • edited 2011-10-01 23:53:17
    Other tip: The message you get when entering a store tells you the store quality. The more fancy it sounds, the best gear they have, but the more they charge. Fancy stores also pay less for your gear. Stores described as run down do the opposite, they charge little, they pay a ton, and their gear sucks.

The top quality stores are those describe as smelling "incense" in the description.

• No rainbow star
    Ah

Well I made a class that is built a bit like Spellsword, but physically weaker to allow for slightly more magic power. How will that affect things?
  • edited 2011-10-01 23:57:59
    Well, Daggerfall is brutal when it comes to magic. Meaning if you plan to use it, you need to be built for it. Meaning you NEED to have gotten one of the advantages that give you more mana. The basic mana in the game will not let you cast a decent spell even at max skill. You want 1.5x or more intelligence in magicka if you plan to be ANY good at magic in combat. Otherwise experiment. There's alot of fun (and exploits) to be had with the class maker.

Don't limit yourself to chain and leather armors. They blow. Hard.
  • No rainbow star
    Where can I find my daggerfall folder?

My laptop's search function is broken, so I need to find it manually
  • IIRC check the following

c:/Dagger
    c:/Program Files/Dagger
    c:/Program Files/Daggerfall
    c:/Program Files/Bethesda/Dagger
    Etc... Can't be far.
    Ghilz obviously knows what he's talking about, but I think following some parts of his advice take all the fun out of the game.

And I've still never had a problem using bows or ranged spells.
  • No rainbow star
    Hmm... Next time I play, should I screenshot my stats so you guys can critique how I did my build?
  • No real point. Build what you want. Experiment. Explore. That's the whole fun of Daggerfall.
  • No rainbow star
    Ah

...I wonder what would happen if I made a character that was extremely physically weak but had insane magic stats?
    We could, but don't be too eager to "Create the best class." While Daggerfall does have a plot, its at its best when you're just fucking around with it. Just make a class that makes you happy.