If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Daggerfall

edited 2011-09-29 20:14:26 in General
No rainbow star
I downloaded it the other day

I'm still stuck in the starting dungeon. Bats are destroying me. And when I was doing well, a skeleton came out of nowhere and raped me

:< I don't know what to do ;.;

Comments

• no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Run past the Skeleton. If you're where I think you are, there should be a lever beside a throne. Activate that lever STAT! This way you don't have to face Skeletor at all.

Also, IIRC one of those doors next to the stairs leads up and around to the upper walkway. Basically you're trying to find the exit, and once you've met the skeleton you're halfway there. It'll be in a room with a bat, a rat, and an imp.

Remember to save often.
  • No rainbow star
    So I'm NOT supposed to take down ol Dry Bones?
    You can if you want, but he's a normal enemy, not a boss.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Well I figured he was a normal enemy. A boss would probably be more announced than running down a set of stairs

I just thought that you had to fight it to get it out of the way

Dear lord this would be easier if I could aim with my sword better...
    The skeleton fight is pretty tough to take unless you're a pure fighter character or you know how to game the system. That's why the game's official strategy guide even suggests avoiding him (sometimes you can knock him off the steps, and he's too stupid to find his way back up)

Actually, the sword is pretty easy--it hits whatever is near the center of the screen. Basically if it looks like the sword is hitting, then nine times out of ten, it is.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ But blood doesn't show up all the time. Doesn't that say whether or not you hit?
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    To my knowledge, yes it does (unless you fight enemies that don't have blood, but then another effect is shown).
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Is this the first or the second ES game?

It's the second.  Ah.

I downloaded ES1 (Arena) once and I got bored once I got out of the first dungeon.
    Your hits are partially based on your statistics, so you can "miss" even if it looked like you connected. Just keep swinging and thrusting. If an enemy is kicking your ass, run. Your ability to advance levels is not based exclusively on killing shit, not unless your major and minor skills are all combat-oriented.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Actually, I should probably restart

After dying a few times, I tried out the class making system (Farthest I've gotten is with this class, so I couldn't have done THAT bad with it...)

I wonder if I messed up with it. When I get home, if I post the class' stats, abilities, and so on, think you could give hints on how to improve it so it works better?
    Is this game better than ES1 Arena?
    Yes. I liked Daggerfall quite much back then but never could get into Arena.
    Maybe I'll try Daggerfall sometime then.
  • How big is Daggerfall's world?

'Cause I heard it was MASSIVE
  • Poot dispenser here
    Do you mean the lore or the actual game world?

No idea about the latter, but the former seems fairly large.
  • The game world itself. I heard it was literally the size of Great Britian on a 1:1 ratio.
    ...Somehow I doubt that.
  • Poot dispenser here
    Wasn't it released in the DOS era?
    Is this game better than ES1 Arena?

Depending on who you ask. I personally liked ES1 more for its simplicity and ES2 for its sheer amount of freedom.

The game world itself. I heard it was literally the size of Great Britian on a 1:1 ratio.

I don't know if anyone ever did any hard scientific measurements, but when you play it that estimate seems about right.
  • From wikipedia:

"Bethesda claims that the scale of the game is equal to twice the size of Great Britain:[2] around 487,000 square kilometers. The game world features over 15,000 towns, cities, villages, and dungeons for the player's character to explore.According to Todd Howard, Game Director and Executive Producer for Bethesda Game Studios, the game's sequel, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, is 0.01% the size of Daggerfall, but it should be noted most of Daggerfall's terrain was randomly generated. "
    Oh, it's randomly generated.

That makes a ton of difference.  Now the estimate actually sounds reasonable.

IIRC ES1's is too.
  • edited 2011-09-30 22:41:10
    probably human
    The thing is, the world is huge... but also randomly generated.

Say hello to 20 miles of nondescript, grassy plains!

Edit: Ninja'd by more true facts.
    Even so, it's really fun to explore. Before MMOs came along Daggerfall was the closest thing you had to living a second life in a fantasy world. It really felt like it.

I'm quite proud of owning a complete boxed retail copy of the game... it and Arena both.
  • Check this out:

Not sure how it works exactly, but apparently there are some real, non-randomly-generated landscapes in the game files that the game can't normally access. You can see them in that video.
    IIRC, plot-important locations such as the starter dungeon came preconfigured and had zero randomization.

Which is good. The dungeons are IMO one of the worse things about Daggerfall.
    The thing is, the world is huge... but also randomly generated.

Say
    hello to 20 miles of nondescript, grassy plains!

Yeah, especially the last point. If you consider how fucking empty this world is, it's massiveness doesn't seem very impressive.
    Even so, it can be a lot of fun.

This is probably the only game I know where you can travel by jumping rooftop to rooftop like a freaking anime character.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^ Assassin's Creed?
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    Say hello to 20 miles of nondescript, grassy plains!

So, unmodded Oblivion then? :P

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^^^
    Mirror's Edge?