If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People asserting their opinion as though it were fact.

2»

Comments

• I think the real problem here is that quite a few people aren't stating their opinions as fact. It should be obvious from context clues/common sense that they are stating an opinion.
  • Someone hasn't been reading Objectivist tripe writing.

• >Expecting philosophy not to assume it's the One True Way

Stop holding Objectivism to standards different from every other philosophy.
  • edited 2011-09-24 09:45:11
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    ^^^^Wow, I just agreed with Chagen.

I feel very out of place for doing so....

• $80+ per session
    Yeah, except Chagen is guilty of doing what he says people shouldn't do.
  • You can change. You can.
    the problem is that people can't accept that good intentions don't mean much if you can't word properly what you're trying to convey.
  • It's a reason used in works all the time

ALL THE TIME.

IF you fail the execution, IT doesn't matter if you just revolutionized human rights, no one is gonna listen to you.
  • Doesn't someone have to listen to you for you to revolutionize human rights? Or is this a narcissism thing?
  • edited 2011-09-24 09:50:52
    You can change. You can.
    It bears mentioning that you can't hardly revolutionize human rights if nobody listens.

^Clocky means conceptually, rather than actually doing so.
  • My opinions are always correct.

Except when they aren't.
  • I've been told I do this.
  • Is that your opinion, or a simple fact?

:p
  • Well, it is fact that people have told me this.
  • This one thinks it is good when people accept and admit that their opinions might not quite match reality. It is also good when people can separate facts from their opinions about them.

However, not every sentence needs to be precessed by "this is only my personal opinion", even if it is, because, well, noone claimed otherwise.

And yes, of course it is all nothing but this one's personal opinion.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    On the flipside, it's even more annoying when someone insists that something is just your opinion, when it... isn't.
  • *cough* *cough* Climate change.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    "However, not every sentence needs to be precessed by "this is only my
    personal opinion", even if it is, because, well, noone claimed
    otherwise."

YES!
  • Technically, What I've been saying is that isn't the case.

People are saying it's a fact even when pushed.

You would've realized this, had you read the thread, but I suppose reading a one-page thread is too difficult.
    On the flipside, it's even more annoying when someone insists that something is just your opinion, when it... isn't.

examples?
  • edited 2011-09-26 01:10:43
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    The Holocaust happened.

Black people aren't inherently inferior.

Climate Change is happening.
    well, those are facts. What I meant is that I've never seen someone do what Wicked did. 
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    That's the thing though. People will say those things are opinions when they're not.