If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Why I hate Anime, in a nutshell

1235»

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    bluh, suddenly, geeks everywhere.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^I just think it's funny because Shogun is the badass of the group. It's kind of a typical nerd thing to do, though I imagine Urasawa has better reasons.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, in that aspect, it's pretty funny. 

Shogun's probably among my favorite characters, and the badassness isn't even the main reason (though it sure helps).
  • Anime fails entirely in this regard, because they hardly animate anything, thus making it more of a slideshow than a motion picture.

Not the ones I've watched. Then again I mostly watch Fullmetal Alchemist, Haruhi, Index and the like.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    Actually no. In Japan, manga is read by everyone--to them
    reading manga is no different from reading a book, and a lot of manga
    are aimed at an adult audience (
    Golgo 13, which has been running
    since the sixties, is a particularly noteworthy example). Manga in fact
    makes up 1/3rd of all the published books in Japan.

Anime, on the other hand, is pretty much as you described.

That's actually a commonly misunderstood myth. In Japan, comics and anime are considered just as nerdy as comics and cartoons are in America. The main difference is that, as a teen in America, you are considered a nerd for being interested in comics, and as an adult, you are considered a nerd for being interested in comics. In Japan, it's somewhat normal for teens to be interested in comics and anime, but once you reach adulthood, you're expected to grow out of it and change your hobby to golf or something like that. The main difference between the two societies is that in America, comics are nerdy no matter what, in Japan, comics are nerdy if your an adult.

Somewhere along the Pacific Ocean, American weeaboos started misconstruing the teen audience as "everybody."

If you don't believe me, when you're thirty, go to Japan and enter a comic shop or internet cafe. You'll be seen as that creepy, manchild Gaijin nobody wants to talk to. Go when you're fifteen, and you'll just be that Gaijin nobody wants to talk to.
  • They're somethin' else.
    Well fuck me. Kaschei's been banned yet again? What did she do this time? or can you just answer me via PM?
    No, she's banned from here. She still posts in TvT. We banned cuz lol attacking chagen.
  • They're somethin' else.
    Link plz
  • edited 2011-09-17 00:55:45
    They're somethin' else.
    YESH (

lol Vampire Savior combo gauge voice.

• no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    @Scrye2 - Are you sure about that? There's manga about running a business... I can't see teens being into that. I'm also pretty sure I've read that there are manga magazines for adults.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    You mean the same way there's adult comic books in America?
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    ... Are we talking about actually adult comic books, are we talking about age-old superheroes being given a gritty makeover so people who never outgrew them can pretend to be adults anyway?

I was thinking manga was a case of the former.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    There are plenty of non-superhero comic books out there. And a vast majority of them are meant for adults.
  • edited 2011-09-17 09:39:50
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    [mod voice]
    Actually, kashchei was banned for being a complete mod sass when the mods talked to her, NOT for ragging on Chagen.
    [/mod voice]

@Scrye2 > @Glenn: Almost everything you said, I already addressed in my posts. Next time, please read the entire post instead of just a few lines, and you'll see that.

I did read the entire post, and what I post here is not just a private response to you but also a public response for others to read.

@Scrye2 > I even had Full Metal Alchemist in mind when I wrote that...you don't need to point this out to me.

Good to know that I thought of the same thing, as well as another example.

@Scrye2 > Music is one of the most important parts of doing so, but they always use the same 3 tracks, and when they don't, it's still not enough to distract me from the fact that they have like 20 seconds of a single image slowly sliding across the screen while an off-screen voiceover explains why they will win the ensuing duel.

> same 3 tracks

There are far, far more than three tracks in any soundtrack, even the shortest ones.  Perhaps you're actually tired of hearing leitmotif tracks that play every time a certain emotion or character or dramatic situation occurs.  I tend to find them unifying, the way a common tune or harmony unifies a set of musical variations, but YMMV.

then again...
    > 20 seconnds of single image slowly sliding across the screen...off-screen voiceover...win the ensuing duel

Maybe it's that I'm not watching the same stuff you're watching.  For one, I know I've never watched much of DBZ (outside of YouTube Poops that is), and that's the most famous show for having long and drawn out duels for no apparent reason.  Same goes for a large amount of typical shonen action series--I just haven't seen them at all, despite their being some of the most well-known animé series.  The first or so season of Pokémon is the main exception for me.

@Scrye2 > I already said, if they're not going to animate the damn thing, then all they're doing is making one of those "visual novels"
    @Scrye2 > Anime fails entirely in this regard, because they hardly animate anything, thus making it more of a slideshow than a motion picture.

Have you actually seen a visual novel?  A typical animé series, even if low-budget and shoddily-animated, bears little resemblance to the staticness of a visual novel.  Now if you're going to argue that the animation shorcuts that make Japanese animation less smooth than western animation are akin to the difference between western animation and visual novels...well, I don't got much to say about that.

@INUH > @Juan: It's been awhile since I read Monster, but yeah, 20CB is the best manga I've read to date. It has a great soundtrack, too.

Wait, what?
  • I'LL STAY MAI HAUNDS...WITH YAU BLAHT
    AFAIK some "salaryman" comics in Japan aren't seen as "nerdy" because they're the equivalent of the Sunday funnies over here. Nobody considers you a nerd for reading Dilbert.
    @INUH > @Juan: It's been awhile since I read Monster, but yeah, 20CB is the best manga I've read to date. It has a great soundtrack, too.

Remember my comment on Watchmen and how Alan Moore used music via putting the lyrics on paper in order for you to get a feel of what you should be listening during said scenes?

Well, that. I think. I hope. 
    It's not quite like that. Kenji writes a few songs over the course of the story, and the author actually recorded the songs and released them with the volumes they appeared in. There are two that I'm aware of; here's the one that's not a massive spoiler:

Also, yes, I'm doubleposting, but I just noticed this:
    No, she's banned from here. She still posts in TvT. We banned cuz lol attacking chagen.
    That earned her a one-week tempban. The permaban was for the way she flipped out when informed of the weekban.
    Yeah, Glenn pointed it out. And you could still say that if she hadn't done that, she wouldn't have been banned, but whatever.

Also, on OSTs. It bears mentioning that Morricone's seminal work "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" uses very few different melodies and only differentiates them via instrumentalization. Variety does not make a soundtrack strong. Quality and mood does.
    Whoops, I missed that >.>
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Yeah, what I call Theme And Variations Soundtracks tend to be interesting cases, because they take the same tune and remix it many different times for different settings.
  • Oh my god thank you Glenn for that link you are the bestest~