If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Mario is going to be renamed.

Comments

• ...I think it is exactly what it says on the tin.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    It is when the magic goes away.
  • OK, yeah, I'm just one of those idiots who think "This is too easy".
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    It is a really good name.
    @ AHR:

The thing about the rules is, they are not perfect. They do not apply perfectly to every case, and rules also need to be updated to keep up with changing policies of the site.
  • What the slight change, like AHR suggested? Just making it "All the magic goes away" doesn't infringe on the rules, and it's pretty much the same thing. You don't like that idea, Cygan?
    There's a problem with the rule, though. The rule was created to deal with a problem. However, instead of actually dealing with the root cause of the problem- people mistaking the trope for a work- we are merely treating the symptoms of the problem by renaming it.

We need to deal with the problem, not treat the symptoms. And if the problem is treated, then a rename is completely unnecessary.
  • But I don't understand, then. What would you suggest? Informing the people where the trope name came from?
    No. I outlined it in the thread, if you read it.

As it stands now, all links to Works pages are meant to be on the Media namespaces- that is, like Literature/Harry Potter. Any time a Works page is listed on the main pages, too, I think it is meant to be italicized.

What we need to do is make sure people know to be linking to the correct namespace, and how to format it correctly. From there, the misunderstandings are pretty much gone.
  • Eh... It seems like something that seems to be a much more difficult way of accomplishing the same thing, though. Why not just have two articles, with one having a slightly different name? I mean, it's not a problem that should come back. Not as long as we keep an eye out on new articles and ensure that they don't interfere with titles.
    Because it is still a problem.

Why rename things just to avoid the problem if there is a way to solve the problem? It's kind of just ducking your head and letting it pass by rather than confronting it head-on and making it not be a problem any more.

If there is a problem to be solved, even if the problem is not causing trouble, it is still a problem. You are suggesting that we rename this to avoid solving the problem... why? What advantages does just renaming it as opposed to solving the problem offer other than being easier to deal with?
  • But you aren't being clear. What do you mean "teach people"? How would you suggest we do that? I mean, we're TV tropes nerds. We know all about the tropes. Most people don't, and probably won't take the time to learn how to correctly link to the namespace. 

And besides, bringing the topic up in the middle of a name change really isn't the time to be doing it. If you have a problem with the actual rules, then you should take it up on a separate occasion, away from the enacting of the rules. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything- I'm just talking about what would logically be the best move.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I disagree cakman, while the rename is the easiest move available. Bringing up the problem cygan is talking about is perfectly valid in a rename. Because its a problem about names.
  • edited 2011-08-06 13:07:35
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    That is why I started a seperate topic on it though. As it is, the topic is linked to the thread. Logically, we should wait until the discussion on the rules is ended before we proceed with the thread's topic now. Unfortunately, we can't really do that. It's kind of an impasse- we need this topic closed before we can decide how to proceed with the thread, as the rule in question that says it needs to be renamed is being questioned for its' validity. If the rule is found to be a bad rule and is removed, then there is no need to rename the trope, as the trope is working. The only reason anyone has to rename it is that it shares the name with a work, but that is not really a problem if we actually show people how to refer to each one seperately to make it more obvious which one you are referring to to eliminate the confusion.

I mean, I could wait until after the thread to bring it up, but then the trope would be renamed, and if it is decided that the rule needs to be changed then it would be a pointless change.

The thing is, the topic was brought up on the premise that it needs a rename on the basis that it shares a name with a work. I am questioning the validity of that premise. Is there any advantage to keeping that rule over educating people as to how to do it correctly?

As to how? Make the list of editing tips more visible to the editors. At the moment, there is one accessible link to it, buried under an ignorable box. It is not even linked to at the signup page.

Beyond that? Well, we have a term for people who don't read the list of editing tips before editing if they are in a clear and accessible spot: "People who should not be editing this article." It's kind of like people who don't read the rules to a site after signing up- if you break them, it's kind of your own fault and you can expect to be reprimanded if people notice.

Anyway, I have to go to bed now.

^ OR that, for people who don't like long posts.
  • edited 2011-08-06 13:22:31
    Yeah, I think the "No tropes named after a work" is a bit outdated, due to the fact that we are currently in the process of moving works to their appropriate media namespace.

After all, the reverse situation (where works are named after tropes) happens as well, but the setup of having the trope in the main namespace while having the work in the media namespace works just fine.

In the grand scheme of things, though, this one isn't an issue I tend to get really worked up about.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
  • You can change. You can.
    That shouldn't be so accurate
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    ^^I like that! More comics like that plz.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    That's...really, really depressing, but true.

It's kinda sad that the Trope Repair Shop is the part of the site that's least interested in repairing stuff.
  • edited 2011-08-08 14:29:38
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    This reminds me of the Troper Tales thread, actually. On that note, I'd like to know why dontcallmewave thinks that there is a conspiracy, to get rid of TT, going on. Doesn't he realize how dumb that sounds?

Maybe I should participate more in TRS. I mostly abandoned my "generally, don't rename" stance.
  • You can change. You can.
    It's because he somehow doesn't understand that the site has a huge userbase and that not all of us are TRS regulars.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ...and Vorpy depressed me.

I hope you're happy, Vorpy.
  • Someone put that in the thread right? Right?

omg that's too hilarious not to.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    She could, but then she'd get thumped, most likely. 
  • edited 2011-08-08 20:24:29
    CRIMINAL SCUM!
    I'll do it. Since I don't really care about TvT.

edit: nvm I don't remember how to make images since TvT is a retarded forum and doesn't have a button for it.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Oh this will end well.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Do not.
  • edited 2011-08-08 20:26:49
    Has friends besides tanks now
    @CommandoDudeYou realize we'd have to ban you for that, right?
  • Why, caus it'd hurt TvT's ego too much?

That's part of why I quit TvT. The mods are way to sore about everything over there. Gawd. Maybe things were lawless at GaiaOnline but at least you could post almost anything you wanted without fearing you'd get thumpted or temp banned.