If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Ok, Gamefreak, NOW you're milking it

Comments

• a little muffled

Blue was legitimately a much improved game over Red and Green though, unlike most third versions.

• From what I've gathered so far, the two pokemon revealed with the announcement are actually new formes of the pokemon Kyurem:

pokemon

• Imagine: a Pokemon with the coveted Ice/Electric typing (with an actually regularly usable Ice attack).

• edited 2012-02-26 12:10:43
    No rainbow star
    Wait, why would Electric/Ice be coveted?
  • Ice and Electric attacks cover virtually everything and score super-effectives against the common Dragon, Water, and Flying types.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

How about a Ghost/Dark uber tier?

• a little muffled

Eh, Electric/Ice is a good offensive type combination, but not so great defensively (Ice is possibly the worst type in the game defensively and electric doesn't cover any of its weaknesses), and there are better offensive combinations anyway.

• edited 2012-02-26 12:22:51

No weaknesses is overrated because resistances are what really gauge a defensive Pokemon's worth. Though admittedly, Ice/Electric is similarly novelty.

Since we're on the topic of Pokemon, permanent weather abilities are the worst idea Game Freak ever came up with aside from Stealth Rock and I'm not sure how they are going to get themselves out of this corner they trapped themselves in. 

• Has friends besides tanks now

Permanent weather has been pretty gamechanging, but I wouldn't say it's close to as bad as Stealth Rock. I just wish they had given the permanent weather-inducing effects to non-Ubers besides Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Abonasnow, Ninetales, and Politoed, if at all; it kinda sucks seeing so many teams that are forced to use those pokemon to function.

• a little muffled

Permanent sand and hail didn't cause any trouble in previous generations really; rain and sun are just way too abusable.

I kinda hope that gen 6 is another one like  gen 3 that doesn't connect to previous generations; that would mean Stealth Rock would go away forever and would also allow them to fix other things.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I don't even think Hail is causing any problems now, and Sandstorm teams are way more common than Rain or Sun (the ban on Drizzle + Swift Swim helps).

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I kinda hope that gen 6 is another one like  gen 3 that doesn't connect to previous generations

NO. I don't want to start over collecting T_T

Also, that only happened with gen 3 because Nintendo refused to allow any form of connectivity between GB and GBA.

• a little muffled

@Everest: Teams with Tyranitar or Hippowdon on them are more common, yes, but a lot of those aren't actual sand teams since those Pokémon are actually decent for reasons other than their abilities and they get rid of rain and sun even when you can't abuse sand that much. (Plus any offensive team likes the constant damage.) I would say the huge popularity of weather in general this generation is because of Drizzle and Drought.

@INUH: Yeah, obviously it doesn't happen until the games move off the DS. But getting rid of Stealth Rock forever would be worth the sacrifice. >_>

• edited 2012-02-26 12:48:35
    Has friends besides tanks now

Oh, yeah, hey. While you're on, I've already tested an OU team against Marioguy and Lai with a degree of success, so would you like to play?

. . .

I'm obsessed, aren't I? ._. 

Yeah, obviously it doesn't happen until the games move off the DS

My point was that it won't happen then either. Possibly when they move off the 3DS, depending on how connectivity between 3DS and whatever's after that works.

• a little muffled

@Everest: I still don't have a non-shitty OU team, so no thanks.

@INUH: 3DS is still DS as far as I'm concerned, and the fact that Black 2 and White 2 aren't going to be 3DS-exclusive suggests Pokémon isn't moving that way I'd think.

3DS is still DS as far as I'm concerned

Well, then you're simply wrong.

and the fact that Black 2 and White 2 aren't going to be 3DS-exclusive suggests Pokémon isn't moving that way I'd think

Er...the games haven't ever changed system in the middle of a generation before. Why would they be 3DS-exclusive?

• No rainbow star
    ^ Pokemon Crystal was exclusive to Game Boy Colour
  • edited 2012-02-26 13:01:57
    a little muffled

@INUH:

Well, then you're simply wrong.

Why?

Er...the games haven't ever changed system in the middle of a generation before. Why would they be 3DS-exclusive?

They've also never not been on the most recent system.

Why?

Well, the 3DS has a lot of features the DS didn't have (though Nintendo's gone way out of their way to act like it's just a DS with 3D; I think they've pretty badly screwed up the marketing there). Wider screen, larger storage capacity, more memory, analog stick...there's a lot of stuff added. You don't think the PS3 is another PS1, do you?

They've also never not been on the most recent system.

Yes, there are kinda two contradictory patterns, but it's more important that a generation all be on the same system because it makes connectivity easier.

• edited 2012-02-26 13:15:38
    a little muffled

You don't think the PS3 is another PS1, do you?

No, but I think the GameBoy Color is a GameBoy.

Yes, there are kinda two contradictory patterns, but it's more important that a generation all be on the same system because it makes connectivity easier.

But you can still play BW on a 3DS, so if everyone has a 3DS there's no difference between the situation where these are 3DS-exclusive and the one where they're not. Since generally speaking video game companies operate under the assumption that everyone has the latest system, this suggests a conscious choice here.

And yeah, as Ica mentioned, Crystal was GBC-exclusive. Gen 2 was in similar situation to gen 5 where the original two games were released on the same system as the previous generation even though there was a new system, so in fact the pattern would be to make these 3DS-exclusive.

so if everyone has a 3DS there's no difference between the situation where these are 3DS-exclusive and the one where they're not

No, it means they have to develop connectivity between 3DS and DS games.

No, but I think the GameBoy Color is a GameBoy.

Right, because the GameBoy Color has buttons the GameBoy doesn't, a different screen resolution, higher storage capacity...oh, wait, no it doesn't.

• No rainbow star
    So how are 3DS games incompatible with DS games?
  • edited 2012-02-26 13:26:54
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

They run on a different OS.

I think it's probably possible to have them connect, but with two DS games, that's already "built-in," so to speak, whereas a DS game communicating with a 3DS game would have no idea what that other thing is.

Observe, if you will, the fact that on the generational transfer from 3-4, the 3rd-gen game doesn't actually do any of the heavy lifting and isn't even being run at all; the DS game just scans and deletes some stuff from its memory.

• edited 2012-02-26 13:32:52
    a little muffled

@INUH:

Right, because the GameBoy Color has buttons the GameBoy doesn't, a different screen resolution, higher storage capacity...oh, wait, no it doesn't.

None of those things really matter though. What matters on a gaming system is...games. The question is, is playing DS games the primary purpose (or a large part of the primary purpose) of a 3DS, or is it just an extra? As far as I can tell, it seems to be the former, and the fact that Nintendo is still publishing DS games that aren't 3DS-exclusive suggests that they aren't really trying to change that.

That being said,

They run on a different OS.

I did not know that, and if it's true that's a pretty good reason on its own that it might be better to consider them as different things.

• edited 2012-02-26 13:35:35
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    The question is, is playing DS games the primary purpose (or a large part of the primary purpose) of a 3DS, or is it just an extra?

I'd say the primary purpose of the 3DS is still playing 3DS games.

and the fact that Nintendo is still publishing DS games that aren't 3DS-exclusive suggests that they aren't really trying to change that.

Doesn't Sony still publish PS2 games? Or at least, they did for years after the PS3 was released. And no one says that the PS2 and the PS3 are the same system.
  • Champion of the Whales

I'm pretty sure that no GBC game could run on the Gameboy

• edited 2012-02-26 13:37:13
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^^Yeah, if you're talking about what you mostly play on it, then I definitely can't deny that there need to be some more good actual 3DS games ASAP. I do have some good ones, but most of them are remakes -_- I was talking more from a technical perspective.

• edited 2012-02-26 13:57:38
    a little muffled

Well, as I said, I wasn't really aware of the extent of the technical differences. That being said, I still think they're secondary to games.

@Whale: Quite a few of them could, actually. Including Pokémon Gold and Silver, relevantly to this thread.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

But G and S are not GBC exclusive.

That said, I actually vaguely remember the following experiences:
    * my official hard copy of Crystal working on my Game Boy (or was it Super Game Boy)
    * the Crystal ROM not working on VBA under SGB emulation