If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This father and how he punished his kid

Comments

• edited 2012-02-10 19:26:20
    Diet NEET

But precisely the fact that she considers so few chores so much is a testament to how spoiled she was raised.

That's the hazard: you can't keep hanging over her shoulder constantly while making the assignment. If he allows her onto his own computer, she will use it for other stuff and then simply nuke the search history, which means spending more time cyberpolicing his kid afterwards.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yes, teenagers say stupid things sometimes, especially on Facebook. And?

And that is not just dumb shit- that is a very hurtful comment towards a woman who is not even involved in the situation.

• If he allows her onto his own computer, she will use it for other stuff and then simply nuke the search history, which means spending more time cyberpolicing his kid afterwards.

He can just install an internet filter to keep her off of certain websites for that.

• edited 2012-02-10 19:27:47
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

But precisely the fact that she considers so few chores so much is a testament to how spoiled she was raised.

Yes, her being spoiled probably is her parents' fault. And he seems to be changing his parental style to fix that, having learned his lesson.

That's the hazard: you can't keep hanging over her shoulder constantly while making the assignment. If he allows her onto his own computer, she will use it for other stuff and then simply nuke the search history, which means spending more time cyberpolicing his kid afterwards.

The way I'd handle that is this: if the history's gone, she doesn't get to use the computer again. I'd make this clear in advance, and say that if she fails an assignment because she made the decision to not use the computer again, that's her fault.

• edited 2012-02-10 19:30:45
    Diet NEET

Another point: did he tell her to explain herself to the woman in question? It's an easy way to shame a kid on the spot, but I fear he probably went the way of telling her to apologize to the lady instead.

And I hope he's learned his lesson, but it sorta mirrors how my dad was: normally laidback, then suddenly an outburst of strictness provoked by the most arbitrary of stuff, followed by plum forgetting the punishments and going back to laidback-mode.

• a little muffled

@INUH: Maybe it's just because I'm in high school and I encounter people saying stuff like this all the time, but I really don't see what was especially bad about this.

@Cygan: Who also would never have even seen it if the dad wasn't snooping on his kid's Facebook. And it comes off more as ignorant than anything else; I certainly doubt she had any actual disrespect for the cleaning woman.

• edited 2012-02-10 19:31:00

^^^Good luck enforcing that. Though really, you don't even need to check the history, because it's not hard to tell when someone is spending an inordinate amount of time on a task.

"Who also would never have even seen it if the dad wasn't snooping on his kid's Facebook. And it comes off more as ignorant than anything else; I certainly doubt she had any actual disrespect for the cleaning woman."

You have the right to remain silent on the Net. Anything you say or do can be used against you. This should be in the minds of everyone that ever goes online.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Who also would never have even seen it if the dad wasn't snooping on his kid's Facebook. And it comes off more as ignorant than anything else; I certainly doubt she had any actual disrespect for the cleaning woman.

which certainly makes it alright, yes indeed

• edited 2012-02-10 19:31:27
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Maybe it's just because I'm in high school and I encounter people saying stuff like this all the time, but I really don't see what was especially bad about this.

"Other people are assholes" is not an excuse for any one person to be an asshole.

Who also would never have even seen it if the dad wasn't snooping on his kid's Facebook. And it comes off more as ignorant than anything else; I certainly doubt she had any actual disrespect for the cleaning woman.

If you read the update, it explains how it happened, and it wasn't because he was snooping.

• edited 2012-02-10 19:33:25

Though it certainly is a factor. If peers are who a person talks most often to, who do you think said person is going to take after?

"Other people are assholes" is not an excuse for any one person to be an asshole.

There is also the fact that the father really was replying in kind.

He explains himself here, by the way.

• a little muffled

You know what, this is making me way too angry and it's probably because I'm a spoiled brat with pushover parents so I am just going to stop clicking this thread.

• edited 2012-02-10 19:36:23
    Diet NEET

What the gal failed to do was take the social context into consideration: it's fine to be a complete asshole around other assholes, but for heaven's sake, don't do it on Facebook.

^I second that idea. My parents acknowledge they could have raised me stricter, but say it probably wouldn't have been as funny.

• I found it funny, but I can understand why some people would be angered.

• There's a reason I didn't want to take sides on this. The appropriateness of child-rearing strategies hinges a lot on complicated cultural factors, I think.

• I pretty much agree with everything he did except for destroying the laptop. What the hell was he thinking? Why are all the comments saying that was cool of him?

I mean his daughter is a stereotypical teenage caricature but she probably has loads of personal stuff on her computer and just blowing the thing to pieces was a dick move. He could have just taken it away from her.

• a little muffled

Really, you seriously think "you are banned from having a computer for the next three years of your life" is an appropriate...wait, right, staying out of this thread.

• I agreed with everything the father did except shooting the laptop. I would say keep it if the daughter needs it for schoolwork, or if you really need to get rid of it, give it to charity.

^ He said she can have a laptop, she just needs to buy it with her own money.

Oh man, I get confused as to which forum I posted stuff in.

I agree that donating the laptop/selling it would have been better, but shooting it was funnier/more dramatic.

• The more everyone keeps talking about the laptop, the more I'm inclined to agree it was a good idea. See, that's the impact of the message. The point was more important than the sacrifice.

• That really does make sense.

• I'm just more sensitive to this type of thing because of how important my own computer is to me. I know what the point was, but that's exactly why I don't like it. The punishment leaves permanent effects.

Which is... the point, yes.

• I think it's brilliant. The girl was given fair warning on what would happen, so...

• I'm wondering how permanent it will be. If punishments come with grandiose gestures instead of constant attitude adjustment, leniency can also come in the form of lack of enforcement, and she'll find ways around the punishment. What's most important is that he tag-teams the punishment with the mother, or else nothing will ever come of it.

• Well, he did say one of the bullets was especially "from your mother".

• Meknows, but if we gamble on a classic nuclear family set-up, he works will she stays at home and takes care of the household, and thus bears the brunt of the enforcement and the punishment's more impractical side. I hope she doesn't easily cave in.

Considering he talks about how "your parents" go out and work every day, and apparently they need someone to clean their house, I would expect their mother does not stay at home.

• I know it's the point Cygan, that's what I said. I dislike the point, is what I meant.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So...you'd recommend punishments that are superficial and have no real effects?