If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This father and how he punished his kid

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

That is pretty awesome.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yeah, that was a pretty great way to handle it.

Those chores don't sound hard at all anyway...

Yeah, those chores are...well, they're actually quite generous in how few they are, I'd say.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Maybe I'm biased because I actually do housework.

But I wash and wipe up (by hand, even though we have a dishwasher), I mop the tiled floors, I vacuum and sweep the carpeted areas, I scrub down the shower with mould killer and regularly scrub down the shower walla with glass wipes, I clean the toilet, I do my own washing, I cook dinner for everyone and all my own other meals, I wipe down the windows every week, I trim the trees and bushes around the house, I water the gardens, I feed the chickens, I beat the mats, I clean the glassware, I wipe down the benches, I clean the curtains... and I'm still doing school :V

I...don't do that much.

I think I'm required to do even less than that girl was, but I actually do more than that. I kinda wound up taking over at least half of the cooking just because I wanted to learn to cook, for example.

I'm fairly sure I forgot a few chores. Like dusting all the furniture >_>

Wow, you do a lot. Do you have a time machine or something? Because you're on here pretty frequently.

• I never had a daily schedule of chores, but I generally tried to have a good attitude when my parents asked me to do things.

Anyway, I couldn't be sure whether I'd consider that punishment appropriate unless I knew about as much as the situation as the dad did, so I'm not going to say that it's awesome or mean or anything.

Though it was pretty amusing how thoroughly owned she got. And I'm digging this guy's working class vibe.

• edited 2012-02-10 18:12:00
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Wow, you do a lot. Do you have a time machine or something? Because you're on here pretty frequently.

I just do them when they need to be done. It's hard to notice when I disappear for ten minutes to go wash up, for example. And I do the shower/mopping/dusting in the morning before I log on to the computer.

Ah, I see.

You know, if I were the dad, I'd agree to the paying her thing. Minimum wage in the US is $7.25 per hour, and if she does five minutes of chores per day, that's...something like $0.75 per day. Of course, if she wants something, she can just buy it with her own money, since she's such a hard worker.

• They're somethin' else.

Cue the inevitable Guile's Theme remix.

fuck yeah

i like the way you think

• They're somethin' else.

on another note, the father regrets the amount of attention this fustercluck has given his family.

^Yeah, I'd imagine he wasn't expecting this to go viral.

Incidentally, @OP, I saw it coming a mile away, but that's just because I live in the South and know some people who look like that. His career wasn't stereotypical, but the punishment was exactly what I expected.

• Well, he wanted to send a message and he did just that.

Over 2 million views in about two days is a little much, though. That's pretty damn viral.

• edited 2012-02-10 19:02:10
    Diet NEET

>Shoots laptop, does not anticipate video to go viral

Lolwut. The kid is a spoiled brat, but by the heavens does he suck at parenting.

Dramatic punishments while blatantly buying her stuff instead of telling her to actually earn the money herself. Tiresome references to how much he had to do in his youth while failing to take the environment and upbringing into account, imagining she would see the same things as common as he did. Failing to take the practical considerations of needing a laptop for schoolwork into account, a hassle for which he probably has to compensate in some way with roundabout measures due to sheer necessity.

I'm betting he'll come around and regret what he did within a few months or so. It's a memorable statement he made, but it's also a sign of parenting-on-impulse.

Edit: The comments are a wangwaving contest between pedagogically-opined parents with their little angels as anecdotal evidence. Predictaboo.

• edited 2012-02-10 18:58:09
    a little muffled

TBH, dude's an asshole.

Edit: Ninja'd by pretty much what I wanted to say.

Dramatic punishments while blatantly buying her stuff

Er...wasn't the whole point that he isn't going to be buying her stuff now?

Tiresome references to how much he had to do in his youth while failing to take the environment and upbringing into account, imagining she would see the same things as common as he did

If she had actual chores that took more than two or three minutes a day, I'd agree there.

Failing to take the practical considerations of needing a laptop for schoolwork into account

That's a good point, but easily resolvable by letting her use his computer only for schoolwork.

• I approve of most of his actions, but I don't approve of destroying the laptop. Since he works in IT, he could probably have installed something on there to stop her from fucking around and doing anything other than school work. Cool, yes, but a bit stupid, especially since (as he pointed out) he just spent a fair bit of money on that.

• edited 2012-02-10 19:10:08

"Failing to take the practical considerations of needing a laptop for schoolwork into account, a hassle for which he probably has to compensate in some way with roundabout measures due to sheer necessity."

Library? Aside from essays, I'm pretty sure most assignments can be done with pencil and paper.

And you can take notes in class via hand, I'm pretty sure.

• a little muffled

@INUH:

If she had actual chores that took more than two or three minutes a day, I'd agree there.

Yeah but see the thing is that she was doing her chores. If she was refusing to do them that would be one thing, but doing them and just complaining about it somewhere she thinks her parents won't see? That's just called being a teenager.

I've never complained about my chores, even when I had infinitely more than she did.

It's not being a teenager, it's being a bitch and then going "but I'm just a teenager" if called out on it.

• edited 2012-02-10 19:20:33
    Diet NEET

He lectures her about having to earn stuff, after spending so much money on new software BEFOREHAND. The point is, if you don't want your hellspawn to take things for granted, don't grant them easily in the first place. He could have waited with that purchase till she found a job and strike a deal(she earns half, he pays half) if the price was too high.

And it's precisely the fact that she has so few chores that makes the comparisons to his own youth moot. If you want to instill her with the same values, make her do a rough equivalent of the workload you had while she's still young and impressionable, so she gets used to it.

Yes, you could go to a library/internet café/a friend's computer, but unless she has her own car, this will involve her parents driving her places/spending extra moolah on public transport/etc., which is impractical.

It doesn't absolve his brat in any way, but this is all parenting-after-the-fact.

Yeah but see the thing is that she was doing her chores. If she was refusing to do them that would be one thing, but doing them and just complaining about it somewhere she thinks her parents won't see? That's just called being a teenager.

"I'm not your damn slave. It's not my responsibility to clean up your shit. We have a cleaning lady for a reason; her name is Linda, not Hannah."

Indeed. Just being a teenager.

after spending so much money on new software BEFOREHAND. The point is, if you don't want your hellspawn to take things for granted, don't grant them easily in the first place.

Well, I get the impression that he realizes that now.

And it's precisely the fact that she has so few chores that makes the comparisons to his own youth moot

You're missing my point. The problem is that she considers her few chores to be a completely absurd amount, when by any standard at all, it's not.

Yes, you could go to a library/internet café/a friend's computer, but unless she has her own car, this will involve her parents driving her places/spending extra moolah on public transport/etc., which is impractical.

Or, like I said, she could use her parents' computer.

Or, like I said, she could use her parents' computer.

There is usually computers you can use at a school library/computer room at school, that teachers are happy to let you use in your lunch time if you explain you need it to do an assignment.

• edited 2012-02-10 19:24:45
    a little muffled

@INUH: So, because you were an unusually well-behaved teenager, that somehow justifies this?

@Cygan:

"I'm not your damn slave. It's not my responsibility to clean up your shit. We have a cleaning lady for a reason; her name is Linda, not Hannah."

Indeed. Just being a teenager.

Yes, teenagers say stupid things sometimes, especially on Facebook. And?

• edited 2012-02-10 19:24:21

"Yes, you could go to a library/internet café/a friend's computer, but unless she has her own car, this will involve her parents driving her places/spending extra moolah on public transport/etc., which is impractical."

Admittedly, I forgot that not everyone has the luxury of being able to walk wherever they want to go.

@INUH: So, because you were an unusually well-behaved teenager, that somehow justifies this?

No, I just think it's dumb to go "well, she's a piece of shit, but it's okay for teenagers to be pieces of shit, so there's no problem."