If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Juan's english.

Comments

• edited 2012-01-16 21:10:56
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I ashouldnt have laughed so hard at that, Ian.

lol.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The irony is that I can't read katakana or hiragana but occasionally I know what kanji characters say.

• See, whenever Juan says he's from somewhere, first Colombia, then Germany, I'm not sure I can trust him. So basically, I imagine him to be from everywhere and nowhere at the same time like some Schrodinger's Human or something.

• You can change. You can.

I'm from both and neither, Ninjaclown.

To be honest, I've said at some point or another that I'm from

*Argentina

*Germany

*Colombia

*Ireland

There's a degree of truth to each of those statements, but I won't say which is which. :D

• @Stormtroper: It amuses me because I often forget you even know Spanish in the first place.

I think I'll take this as a compliment.

The basic two systems were easy for me to learn, Everest. Kanji is something else entirely.

I'll second this.

^ I know the Colombia and Argentina one, and I think I can guess the Germany one. I'm stumped at the Ireland one, though.

• I feel like there's more I should be able to say in these threads given my major. It's kind of useless to say "Yes, non-native speakers can potentially learn a language very well." when that's already plain to see.

Well, non-native speakers often have a greater understanding of some of the basic rules of a language, whereas native speakers have much better intuition. Generally speaking, native speakers can better judge whether a sentence is grammatical, and non-native speakers are better able to explain why.

One thing that tends to surprise me, though, is recognition of idioms. It's often the case that a native speaker is ignorant of something I'd expect to be common knowledge.

Anyway, I read an academic article yesterday that claimed that the term "native speaker" was problematic for a number of reasons involving what it implied about who was competent in what areas of language. "Expert" was deemed preferable, but I suspect the nuances aren't going to solve many significant problems for the layperson.

• Has friends besides tanks now

^ That sounds pretty interesting. Do you have a link to it?

• I don't know if I can figure out a link for it, but I'll let you know if I do.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Juan's English makes me envious.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Vea la vaina

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Hey Juan, I heard that Italian is basically wrong Spanish.

Can you confirm this?

• edited 2012-01-17 07:31:36
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

No, portuguese is wrong spanish. Maybe Galician too.

What the Panamanian said. Speaking of...

Vea la vaina

¿Sera que huelo envidia? 

Si la hueles, andate al doctor, que tienes un cuadro serio de sinastesia.

¡O sea que nada mas la veo! :D

Morid.

• Hey Juan, I heard that Italian is basically wrong Spanish

Languages originate as dialects of a parent language. Both of them are wrong Latin.

FYI I was trolling the Italian language.

• Granted, but I can't know how much about historical linguistics is common knowledge.

remember that alex has an history fetish besides his sword fetish.

you might even say he has a word fe...

no fuck that, i'm not going to sully my tongue with such a horrible pun.

• Juan's English is as good as it needs to be for me to understand it. And the mistakes have their own charm, anyway.

I'd say the above holds true for many people that have English as their second language or third or further. The mistakes someone makes when speaking a language that isn't native to them gives some degree of insight into the one that is. Grammatical and pronunciation errors and the like.

• Malkavian,

He could fool a lot of people that he was a native English speaker and my French and Russian look like they're done by a three-year-old.

I feel like such an ugly American. ;_;

I Know That Feel Bro

Aye, I am constantly amazed by how well other people can write English as a second, third, or even fourth language online. I guess other people who have those skills tend to not make much out of them (the same thing seems to be the case with people who know math or science well, honestly), but I think they are seriously impressive.

I might just have bias though, being in the same boat with you when it comes to language proficiency.

• Definitely not gay.

I was here when Juan was a new member and I remember his poor English.

He forgot to capitalize most of the time.

he still does

i often do that to show i'm being unserious.

i still come up with many a malapropism, though, not gonna lie

• edited 2012-04-03 02:04:43
    Definitely not gay.

Juan had yet to adopt his "manly" persona back then. To be truthful I was more comfy with him that way.

• edited 2012-04-03 02:10:55
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

malapropism

> when someone who speaks your language as a second language knows a word you don't

;~;

^ I don't think there's one of us who hasn't changed considerably. Not surprising; most of us are in our late teens or twenties, so having left the imposed fantasy of high school, we're changing and adapting to the real world.