If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Juan's english.

edited 2012-01-16 20:13:54 in IJBM meta
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

It's too damn good.

He could fool a lot of people that he was a native English speaker and my French and Russian look like they're done by a three-year-old.

I feel like such an ugly American. ;_;

Comments

• They're somethin' else.

Too eloquent, too surly, too sarcastic. How did he learn all that?

• You can change. You can.

The internet is a most wonderful teacher indeed. 

• Has friends besides tanks now

I agree. @Juan: When did you start learning English?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm making a related thread about learning languages.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Mexicans can easily learn to speak English.

I agree. @Juan: When did you start learning English?

Since I was 7-ish. I pretty much practiced on my own mostly. My english used to be so much worse back when I started posting, though. I mostly learned by, well, posting on TvT and learning to express what I meant to say without grammatical blunders. Propositions still beat the hell out of me, though.

Although really, seeing people like Noimporta and Set who have a much more readable English style, I can't help but think that people overrate my own English capabilities.

Mexicans can easily learn to speak English.

you're going to stretch that joke as if it was Mr Fantastic, huh

> Propositions still beat the hell out of me, though.

You probably mean prepositions.

:P

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Fine, fine, it's a stupid joke. I'm sorry if I offended your Venezuelan heritage.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Nah, Mr. Fantastic would have been torn in half by now.
  • They're somethin' else.

I suppose Juan and Pumpkin speaks the truth. A classmate of mine who had lived in western Mexico since she was 14 tells me she learned English via her local movie rental place.

You probably mean prepositions.

:P

heh, yeah. 

Fine, fine, it's a stupid joke. I'm sorry if I offended your Venezuelan heritage.

A little bit more to the west. Or is it just that Americans have never seen a map on their lives?

• edited 2012-01-16 20:41:32
    Has friends besides tanks now

"Since I was 7-ish."

Hmm. I started trying to learn Spanish in 6th grade, like a lot of other people, and it was just significantly harder. I feel like, if I had started at an earlier age (it's sort of surprising that I didn't, seeing as how my dad's Puerto Rican and my parents regularly had discussions in Spanish around the house).

"Mexicans can easily learn to speak English."

:/

"You probably mean prepositions."

I considered calling him on it, but decided it would be petty. :P

"Fine, fine, it's a stupid joke. I'm sorry if I offended your Venezuelan heritage."

:/

I wouldn't be so bugged by this if you hadn't taken a self-righteous stance in regards to similarly offensive jokes.

• A little bit more to the west. Or is it just that Americans have never seen a map on their lives?

"Three or four countries", was it?

• edited 2012-01-16 20:43:30
    You can change. You can.

the thing is, though, that's not exactly a particularly stupid statement. Mexico and the US are close and many people who live in the border try to move to the US, so of course they learn English. And Mexico's government encourages intercultural exchange with the US.

Hmm. I started trying to learn Spanish in 6th grade, like a lot of other people, and it was just significantly harder. I feel like, if I had started at an earlier age (it's sort of surprising that I didn't, seeing as how my dad's Puerto Rican and my parents regularly had discussions in Spanish around the house).

It's funny, I don't think I seriously started learning English till the 6th grade. I had English classes and I was good at them, of course, but I found I started to learn more by reading books in English and playing videogames than by the classes themselves.

^Add one more and you got it, chum. XD

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Fun fact: I was better at Russian than English until about second grade.

Maybe I should have surfed more Russian intertube sites....

I was still kidding guys, sheesh.

What country are you from

• edited 2012-01-16 20:47:37
    Has friends besides tanks now

"the thing is, though, that's not exactly a particularly stupid statement. Mexico and the US are close and many people who live in the border try to move to the US, so of course they learn English. And Mexico's government encourages intercultural exchange with the US."

I know. It was more the context in which he said it than anything.

^ He's Colombian. And sorry if I jumped down your throat a little; it's just that seeing you go all mea culpa about my joke about enjoying Moe and then making "all Hispanics are the same" jokes seemed kinda hypocritical.

I was still kidding guys, sheesh.

What country are you from

Germany.

• I had a Spanish class in middle school. It wasn't very good, so I took French two years in high school.

I think I like the former better than the latter.

Can I be from Renais?

• *is envious of all this praise*

Anyhow:

The internet is a most wonderful teacher indeed.

It's funny, I don't think I seriously started learning English till the 6th grade. I had English classes and I was good at them, of course, but I found I started to learn more by reading books in English and playing videogames than by the classes themselves.

I'll second these statements.

Also, ^^ and ^^^^ should totally keep on learning Spanish.

But I don't even like the language that much anyway (purely for aesthetics reasons, though; I just don't like the sound of the language). If I decide to learn another language, it'll be Japanese or something. But then I'd have to get used to an entirely new alphabet.

@Stormtroper: It amuses me because I often forget you even know Spanish in the first place.

• No rainbow star
    "Or is it just that Americans have never seen a map on their lives?"

In their lives, Juan. It's, "in their lives"

See? Prepositions. Fucking English, why can't you have one word for "on" and "in" rather than this bullshit. >:|

• edited 2012-01-16 20:58:15
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

^

I placed my hand gently on my daughter.

I placed my hand gently in my daughter.

PFFFFFFT

Oh you.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

Having one word for seperate concepts is stupid, that's why

• edited 2012-01-16 21:02:11
    You can change. You can.

...well, can't argue with that.

^They're not entirely separate in Spanish, but whatever.

• edited 2012-07-22 17:25:49