If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Traffic laws that only apply at certain times of day

Comments

• edited 2012-02-18 00:19:32
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Elementary: 9:00-3:00

Middle: 8:00-2:15

High: 7:30-1:50

And apparently other American high schools let out later. And I still have to set my alarm for 5:45 to make sure I can get to school on time (and it doesn't even work out all the time; I'm just lucky that neither of the teachers I have for first block give a crap if I'm two minutes late).

This is completely backwards. Little kids get up earlier than teenagers! Why do they start later?!
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

9:00 to 3:00 or 3:30 is basically the standard for every school I've been to.

• ^ The same in the UK - or it was when I was at school.

That sign is priceless.

• Champion of the Whales

Who turns on a red anyway? oO

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The blue team.

• ^^ I take it that's not a common practice in the UK? Here pretty much everyone does it because we're impatient fucks.

^ Win.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

It's legal to take right turns on red in the U.S., unless there's a sign saying not to.

• edited 2012-02-18 09:16:03
    But you never had any to begin with.

Yeah, jumping red lights in the UK is a pretty good way to get the police on you. Turning or no.

• In Scotland, High School students report to Registration at 8:45. Classes begin at 9:00 and finish at 3:30.

• Right turn on red (after a complete stop) has apparently been the law in the US since the oil crisis of the 1970s--the idea was that people saved gas by not idling at red lights when it was safe to turn, and the laws were kept long after that pretty much because people got used to it and found it convenient.

Not turning right on red when there's no traffic to stop you is pretty much guaranteed to get you honked at at some intersections.

• Champion of the Whales

I take it that's not a common practice in the UK? Here pretty much everyone does it because we're impatient fucks.

No because its an automatic traffic offence IIRC if you're caught

also: is the only time you can turn on a red light

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    For me, elementary was 8-2, I was homeschooled for middle, and high was 8-3:45.
  • Don't you use roundabouts most of the time anyways in the UK?

• But you never had any to begin with.

Roundabouts?

• Has friends besides tanks now

^ Oh dear God.

^^^ Oh dear God!

• You can change. You can.

that can't be real

i refuse to believe that's real

• edited 2012-02-18 12:22:20
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

That second sign is just absurd.  Wait a moment, lemme check my watch, and check my calendar...okay, I'm clear, time to step on the gas.

Most high schools in the U.S. go from like 7:30 or 8 AM to early in the afternoon.  A few exceptions start later.

Roundabouts are awesome, though I haven't had much experience with them.  I first knew about them from visiting England many years ago, but they're rare in the U.S..  However, one just got set up about a ten-minute drive from my house, where there used to be a five-way intersection.

Right turn on red is normally allowed in the U.S..  However, it is not allowed in certain jurisdictions, such as in Manhattan, NYC.

The time-dependent traffic laws that make more sense are usually:
    * the "school zone" markers that have flashing lights at appropriate times
    * parking rules that allow free parking after hours and/or on weekends.

• a little muffled

Elementary - 9:00 to 3:30
    Middle - 8:50 to 3:25
    High - 9:00 to 3:15

The earliest I've heard of a school starting around here is 8:30.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-19 15:43:39

In nearly all cases a right turn on red from the far right lane is allowed in the US.  A left turn on red from the far left lane is also allowed if you're going from a one-way street onto a left-facing one-way street.  The idea is that it's okay if you're moving into an adjacent flow of traffic without crossing any in between.  You still have to stop first and make sure it's clear and all -- traffic cops will ticket you if they see you go without stopping.

Keep in mind a good deal of the US is really spread-out, and not every place has well-kept or well-coded lights.  Having to wait a long-ass time for a light to change when you're moving into a very sparse adjacent flow of traffic is kind of silly.

If there's an explicit turn light that's red, then you have to stay stopped, but those usually only happen in very high-traffic areas.

I think it's still technically legal for stuff like semi trucks to make a right on red, but they usually refrain from doing so just to be on the safe side unless they've got a clear view of a really empty road to the side.

Don't get me started on roundabouts though.  The only two I've seen that weren't harrowing nightmares were in areas sparse enough that they didn't need them in the first place and building them was a complete waste of money.  Like, you were lucky to see more than one other car at the intersection before they built it.

As I understand it, roundabouts are much safer than lights.
  • Safer in that when crashes happen they're less damaging because it was in the middle of a turn instead of moving straight.  It's not unheard of for crash rates to go up, and when they go down I get the feeling it's because enough people get leery and stay away from the roundabout altogether that there's just less traffic through it at all.

That's not what I heard at all. As I understand it, people at intersections with light tend to not pay attention to other cars.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-19 15:57:35

And I'm not convinced an irresponsible driver who gets drunk, runs red lights, and T-bones people full tilt will somehow be "caught" by roundabouts.  They can and will crash anywhere with just as much severity, except now there's lots of smaller crashes too by everyone else.

• Oh good, more roundabout-wank.

Because I don't get enough of this shit on the roadgeek forums already.

• edited 2012-02-19 15:58:40
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^No, if someone's behaving irresponsibly and people actually see him, they'll drive carefully so he won't hit them.
  • Champion of the Whales

Roundabouts > Traffic lights in my experience

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-19 16:03:32

No, if someone's behaving irresponsibly and people actually see him, they'll drive carefully so he won't hit them.

Then explain why crashes happen in the first place.  Because not watching irresponsible drivers at a lighted intersection is also irresponsible.

*sigh*

Sorry.  I said don't get me started, and then I got started.  I'll quit and go back to screwing around.

Yes, it is irresponsible to look away from the other drivers at an intersection. And at lighted ones, it's also mandatory.
  • Ah.  Not continuing this  DX

• If we're doing weird traffic signs now, this technically isn't a traffic sign, but: