If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Traffic laws that only apply at certain times of day

edited 2011-12-11 23:17:10 in Meatspace
For instance, this:

Assuming I can even read that tiny print, in the time it would take me to parse the information and determine whether the restriction is in effect, there's a good chance that my opportunity to turn right has already passed. Or that the light has already gone green.

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I usually don't turn on red.

They only usually matter to me when concerning parking.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    And if you're an adult, how do you know if it's a school day? Maybe school doesn't start until next week.

Really, they should have just left it at "no turn on red."
  • edited 2011-12-11 23:21:12
    I try not to turn on red most of the time, but there are a couple intersections around here where cars will line up behind me and start honking if I don't.

Which is stupid, because the light is only solid red for a very short time between the green ball and the green right-arrow.

^ That too. It's one thing to say "Mon - Fri", but "School Days"?
  • No rainbow star
    Central Avenue

Making a street laws thread

notsurprised.jpg

But yeah that seems completely stupid
  • "If you're an adult, how do you know it's a school day?"

There tends to be an assumption that all adults have kids of school age, probably because most of the people on  the committees who run these kinds of things do. It's a bit annoying.

• She gets the pills from her skills, and she gets her skills from the pills.
    I'm sure you'd know if it was a school day or not during that time, and it's to keep traffic from forming or getting worse. There will always be people who don't follow the sign, but for the most part it's easy to just go with the flow.
  • edited 2011-12-12 15:12:41
    Loser
    Bellacide,
    There will always be people who don't follow the sign, but for the most part it's easy to just go with the flow.

Sorry, I guess that was pretty silly.

In any event, I think non-uniform traffic and parking laws can be annoying, especially parking ones that someone from out of town would have to look up somewhere before traveling because they are not even posted on signs. I have heard of some that require out-of-towners to go to a great deal of trouble to get parking permits and such, which it seems like a lot of people would violate since they would have to already be in the know to realize that there even were special parking rules.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Wouldn't be surprised if that was on purpose in at least a few cases in order to try to get money off of people who just live too far away to fight the ticket
  • Bumping because I found an extreme example:

• edited 2012-02-17 18:47:15
    No rainbow star
    ...What?

Just... Some of those times...

WHAT!?

WHO THE FUCK WOULD ASK FOR SUCH A SIGN TO BE MADE!?
  • Probably some weird staggered schedule.  I bet you get more crashes from people trying to read the sign than prevented by people slowing down.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-17 19:19:31

I don't care what the staggering is.  Why the hell does school go from 6:49 to 4:29?  Was sleep deprivation from starting stupidly early not enough?  You have to drag it into early evening too and eat up their free time with a 10-hour school day?

Mother of God.  What jackass signed off on a schedule like that?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

School itself never runs for as long as the times listed on the buses.

• edited 2012-02-17 19:34:10

^^ It wasn't explicitly stated in the article I got the picture from, but I believe the elementary school, middle school, and high school are all along that same stretch of road. So each school is probably only in session for part of that time, but their schedules overlap such that it lasts 6:49 to 4:29.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Also

Was sleep deprivation from starting stupidly early not enough?

> sleep deprivation

> you really only have to get up at 7:30 and you have at least thirty minutes to get ready

If you're getting sleep deprivation just from school hours, you probably aren't cut out for the workforce either.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

> you really only have to get up at 7:30 and you have at least thirty minutes to get ready

Most schools around here start at exactly 7:30, and depending on how long your bus ride is you have to get up as early as 5:00 A.M. and people who are in sports/band sometimes have to get in early for morning practice or somesuch.

Most schools around here start at exactly 7:30, and depending on how long your bus ride is you have to get up as early as 5:00 A.M. and people who are in sports/band sometimes have to get in early for morning practice or somesuch.

that's stupid. who would even start school before 9

• I recall hearing somewhere that some schools start at 7.

• edited 2012-02-17 20:05:55
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Yeah, my middle school started at 7:15. First class was homeroom and we didn't really do much but still... :<

• Pretty sure my high school started at about 7:30.

inhumane

• probably human

I'm lucky, I guess. School starts at 8 for me.

...Of course, I still have to get up at 5:30 due to living a considerable distance from the school.

I'm pretty sure schools in Australia near-universally start at 9 and end at 3-4.

• On the plus side, my school got out at 2:00.

• You can change. You can.

My school started at 6 AM.

heathenry

• My middle school started around 7:30 and got out a little after 2:30.

I remember being in elementary school and sitting in class when all the middle-schoolers walked by outside and being SO ENVIOUS that they got out before us.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-17 21:41:28

Started at 7:30, got out at 2:30.  Had to stay after for band and/or theater.  Because buses have notoriously awful and inconsistent and shittily-planned timing, I had to be standing at the bus stop by 6:30, which usually meant being up at 5:30 if I wanted to have a shower, breakfast, and enough time to feed the pets and get the house in order.

In elementary school, band lessons started before the rest of school instead of after.

• a little muffled

School always starts at 9 or a bit earlier here; I'm weirded out by Americans and others talking about school starting before 8; that just sounds horrible.

• It is.  The fact that we keep doing it when study after study shows people perform better academically when school starts later and they're not completely tired as hell (surprise fucking surprise, dipshits) is nothing short of galling.